Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 01:05 PM   #8131
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
Question FCR 41's ???

Guys,

I know there is a guy in New Jersey who has fitted his 950 with FCR's and got the choke sorted out. I was following the thread a while back on Orange Crush but have not seen any action for a while. I know the choke thing was a huge show stopper for me and the 41's dyno'd better than the 39's, so it looks like that issue has been put to rest.

Anyone else done or considering this upgrade? The bike has great power but feels like it could do better, but its a pretty pricey upgrade. I read that it really wakes up the bike and improves mileage too. I plan to keep this bike long term, so I can justify the upgrade if the performance is to had.

Are you guys considering? Why or why not?

Thanks...Kent
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #8132
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Thanks Eastside, I will get the backing plate as well.

I love the 19/17 adv wheels idea on our bikes. Gonna have to look into that. Seems like adv rims and hub assemblies are still pretty pricey though, IF ya can ever find them used.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #8133
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 568
I have a few things I'm doing over the next couple of months to the SMR such that any thought of FCR's would no doubt be put off until next fall/winter. FCR's with a choke sound intersting...

Here's a nice summery post he put together:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=6979

Enjoy,
NM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
Guys,

I know there is a guy in New Jersey who has fitted his 950 with FCR's and got the choke sorted out. I was following the thread a while back on Orange Crush but have not seen any action for a while. I know the choke thing was a huge show stopper for me and the 41's dyno'd better than the 39's, so it looks like that issue has been put to rest.

Anyone else done or considering this upgrade? The bike has great power but feels like it could do better, but its a pretty pricey upgrade. I read that it really wakes up the bike and improves mileage too. I plan to keep this bike long term, so I can justify the upgrade if the performance is to had.

Thanks...Kent
nattyMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:06 PM   #8134
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Happy new year bro's. You make a good point . . . However, since most Adventure bikes are ridden mainly on the road . . . and not ridden on single trails due to their weight . . . . Many manufacture's are putting 17" wheels on Adventure type bikes.

Examples: Buel Uly, Ducati Multistrada, & Versys . . . which do fine on forrest service roads etc.

Plus, you can add spokes to the SM for off road riding:

That Supermoto with the wheels looks pretty bitchin'. If my bike didn't work so damn well with Q2s and the 17s, I'd be very tempted to do that but put some 19s on there and dirt track rubber. But I doubt if it would work better than the Q2s on the street.

I was also wondering about the Rottweiler air filter thing. Worthwhile, or just something to mess with?

corndog67 screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 10:12 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #8135
cnw126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider_Over View Post
Guys,

Thanks...Kent
I am considering the FCR's and I am in a similar boat as you. Cost is the major factor ( I still have the stock exhaust as well).

However, I am interested in the effects and this mod is on my radar for the future.
cnw126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #8136
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
I have used a set of FCR 41's on my ride for two years now.
BEST! MOD! EVER!

Cosintino Engineering is the place to get a fully functional set of FCR carbs for the KTM LC8. He is machining carbs to add a choke circuit, making a TPS drive and some CRAZY billet velocity stacks that accept larger K&N filters AND throw big torque numbers all across the dyno chart.

I have a set of his billet stacks in the box and can't wait to get them installed!

He has a thread in vendors:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=834425
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #8137
Slider_Over
Hooligan

Oddometer: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
BEST! MOD! EVER!

Cosintino Engineering is the place to get a fully functional set of FCR carbs for the KTM LC8. He is machining carbs to add a choke circuit, making a TPS drive and some CRAZY billet velocity stacks that accept larger K&N filters AND throw big torque numbers all across the dyno chart.

I have a set of his billet stacks in the box and can't wait to get them installed!

Cool, I would be intersted in hearing about the gains made from the new billet stacks, sounds like they make a big difference over the FCR's alone. DId you ever try the 39's or just go right to the 41's? How is it starting without the choke?
Slider_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #8138
cnw126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Quote:
BEST! MOD! EVER!

Awesome Snowhawk!!

Just what I needed to hear ! Haha!

Seriously, after reading that thread I am drooling!! Looks like I need to save some cheddar.

I would be interested in what the differences between the 39's and 41's are.
cnw126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #8139
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
Does anyone know if the large (7.5 gal IIRC) gas tank that fits the SMR & the SE will work on an SMT?

Patiently waiting for an 1190 but may jump back sooner.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #8140
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Mike,
Are you talking about the big Aqualine Safari tank for the SE? At first I thought there might be a problem with the fuel pump fitment on the injected bike running a carbed bike's tank, but I saw that the fuel pump for the SM/T is actually external! The only other thing to consider is the need for all the body work to match the new SE tank. I haven't heard of anyone attempting 950 tank to 990 fitment, only the 990 stuff onto a 950. Have to go check the 990SM/T threads and forum, cause I am curious now!

The rest o' ya,
FCR's are very rewarding and also hard to start when the bike is cold. I use 5-6 twists of the grip(accelerator pump squirts)each start attempt and require about the same number of start attempts before the motor will pick up and run. Once the motor warms, the bike fires right up and idles on restarts, for the rest of the day. Having a choke would make them a no brainer, no matter the price. 39's or 41's? Sakurama showed that 41's are the way to go, with his development work during his rebuild. He started with 39's and didn't feel so impressed, until he finally got to try 41's. If you are going to spend the money on FCR's, GET THE 41's!! I can't say enough about how different the bike responds with each little flick or rather, hard smack, of the throttle...

snowhawk jockey screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 10:50 PM
Old 01-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #8141
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Mike,
I saw that the fuel pump for the SM/T is actually external! ..
I did not know that, but I like it. Since I am currently shopping for a new bike, that is a very small, but very important part of the purchasing decision for me.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #8142
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
but I saw that the fuel pump for the SM/T is actually external!
External in what way? You can't pull it without at least removing the tank and flipping it over. 90% of the assembly is in the tank touching fuel.

Quote:
Drain the fuel from the fuel tank into a suitable container.
Remove the fuel tank. ( p. 64)
Remove screws .
Pull out the fuel pump.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:21 AM   #8143
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
External in what way? You can't pull it without at least removing the tank and flipping it over. 90% of the assembly is in the tank touching fuel.
Thanks for correcting me! I looked It appeared to be remote mounted, next to the tank like on 950's and fed by pet cocks. If the pump is mounted inside the tank, like other 990's than the safari tank for an SE wont be an option without modification of the tank, for the fuel pump. Sorry, Mike... edit to add: and gplassm
Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #8144
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,294
If Aqualine makes the 7.5 gal tank, then yes, that's the one. I'm not necessarily interested in the 10.5 gal Adventure tank.

I think 7.5 up front and maybe a 2 into 1 exhaust with one of Neduro's 2.2 gal side tanks would be the cats ass for LD travel.

Quote:
Mike,
Are you talking about the big Aqualine Safari tank for the SE? At first I thought there might be a problem with the fuel pump fitment on the injected bike running a carbed bike's tank, but I saw that the fuel pump for the SM/T is actually external! The only other thing to consider is the need for all the body work to match the new SE tank. I haven't heard of anyone attempting 950 tank to 990 fitment, only the 990 stuff onto a 950. Have to go check the 990SM/T threads and forum, cause I'm curious now!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #8145
gplassm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Thanks for correcting me! I looked It appeared to be remote mounted, next to the tank like on 950's and fed by pet cocks. If the pump is mounted inside the tank, like other 990's than the safari tank for an SE wont be an option without modification of the tank, for the fuel pump. Sorry, Mike... edit to add: and gplassm
Oh, Bummer. Oh well, I still want to get an SMT over a V-Strom 1000...or any of the other liter bikes.