Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #8311
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Thats cool! I am dealing with a guy on here that has some cheapy fmf pipes. Just gotta figure out the shipping thing.

I figure they will be good enough for me for now, they will hopefully get the heat down a little bit, and now I can do a canisterectomy, and maybe get an h2w kit, and should be set for riding this year! (well engine wise anyways haha)
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 PM   #8312
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 311
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
One of my local riding buddies had a 950SM in the slightly slower color, black. He scored a set of scratched Akro's for an ADV, from a fellow inmate for cheap, and they bolted right up!
Haha! The orange plastic only gives the illusion of speed. Everyone knows it's the orange frames that really make it fast!!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #8313
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Haha! The orange plastic only gives the illusion of speed. Everyone knows it's the orange frames that really make it fast!!
It's more than illusion. The fact is that the orange paint applied to the later bikes didn't adhere as well to the plastic and that when they were road-tested the orange paint came off the plastic onto the frame. It looked pretty good, so KTM left it on and just painted the plastic with a different paint. Unfortunately, the new paint formulation was a lot heavier than the original orange.

Which is why the original orange bikes are indeed the fastest: in addition to being the best looking
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #8314
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
No, no, no, Once you go black (plastic), you never go back. Stealth will win every time.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #8315
spike747
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Is the Pirelli OEM a good replacement for worn tires? I never rode these tires on the bike since I bought it used. The OEMs need replacing. It looks like a nice tread design for an 80/20 type riding like I want to do. I see this tire alot on pics in the thread. I'm wondering if that is cause its a good tire or just pics of bikes with original tires.

The other tire I'm considering is the Conti trail attack. It looked like a good tire too. I want good grip on the pavement. I ride my tires right to the edge typically so I need sticky tires that will take the occasional dirt road.

Thanks.
spike747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #8316
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,094
Pirelli

As I remember, I got less than 3000 miles out of the original rear, with pretty mellow riding. They did seem to work fine. I prefer the Michelin Road 2s for mostly sport touring. OK for mild dirt only.

FWIW
renogeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #8317
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
I put a set of Dunlop Q2s on recently. I've tried pretty much all the good street tires, and these are superior. And the turn in fast.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #8318
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
I put a set of Dunlop Q2s on recently. I've tried pretty much all the good street tires, and these are superior. And the turn in fast.
Q2s Best tires I've run. Replaced them with Bridgestone SO somethings that are crap in comparison.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #8319
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Those dunlop q2's look like they wouldnt be very good in the dirt for 80/20 riding. Does the look of them just fool a guy?

I have michelin road pilot 2's that are ok on the gravel but get slippery fast when it gets muddy, but they are worn down too.

Ive done tons of searching and I think for 80/20 riding, you pretty much have the trail attack, the tkc-80, or the pirelli scorpions.

I hear quite a few mixed reviews on all of them haha.

Hear lots of good about the trail attack, but then you hear of a few guys that have said they hated them.

The scorpions seem to be good, but wear out faster then the trail attacks and not as good on road.

The tkc's seem to be awesome, but not as good on road, and tire life seems to be poorer on them in comparison.

I havent bought or rode on either one of those three, thats just my observations from reading alot about them.

I still have to buy tires pretty soon for the upcoming season and it seems like whenever i make up my mind, i read a negative review about the tire I made up my mind about then Im back to square one haha.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #8320
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Tires

The only choices for the 180/55/70 rear that I am finding are the TKC80 which appears to be a very large block knobby type pattern and the ContiTrail Attack2, which doesnt appear to be much more aggressive than the standard street tires.

I am starting to look at 150s with an eye toward exceeding the rim width for this. Not ideal, I know. But I'm just not finding what I need in the 180 width.

Anyone experiment with an 18" dirt bike wheel in the rear? Might be another option.

Other ideas????
Old 03-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #8321
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post

Other ideas????
Yes. A 150 on a wheel meant for a 180 size tire is not only a bad idea, its kinda unsafe IMO.

Might as well fit a car tire back there. The handling would be similar.

I think better options would be-

-Fit a SE spoked rear wheel
-run something with a more open tread pattern like the OEM syncs (for me, they lasted as long as any other tire I've run) and get a tire groover and open up the grooves more until you get the off road traction you want. Someone else here cuts their own tread pattern with reasonable success.
-learn to handle a big ass bike in the dirt with just street tires ;)
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:11 PM   #8322
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
The only choices for the 180/55/70 rear that I am finding are the TKC80 which appears to be a very large block knobby type pattern and the ContiTrail Attack2, which doesnt appear to be much more aggressive than the standard street tires.

I am starting to look at 150s with an eye toward exceeding the rim width for this. Not ideal, I know. But I'm just not finding what I need in the 180 width.

Anyone experiment with an 18" dirt bike wheel in the rear? Might be another option.

Other ideas????
I was at the point where I was pondering the same thing as you, but after all the reading I did on the subject, i dont think its safe to go that different in a size.

I wouldnt have a problem going one size larger or smaller, but your talking about a few sizes.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #8323
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Too wide wheels

Yep. The 17" Avon Distanza does come in a 160 width. Even that calls for a 5" maximum rim width. I have stretched rears before without any problem. But a 160 on a rim designed for a 180 may be more than I want to do. I would be much more concerned doing this on the front.

Anybody have feedback on the TKCs? I suspect they will be more dirt capable than I need for intermittent Alaska gravel/graded dirt. I would be more concerned about their performance on the road. I need to get at least 4k miles out of the tire to eliminate a change mid trip.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 11:18 PM   #8324
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,611
I believe Karoo3 will be out soon with 170-17 size.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #8325
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
I believe Karoo3 will be out soon with 170-17 size.
That looks like a decent tire, plus a 170 would be big enough!

Have you heard when? I need a new set of skins this year before I do any longer trips, and these might be worth waiting a little while for.

Edit: Guess they dont make a 17" front, but we have quite a few options there, but this looks like a pretty decent rear tire.

preppypyro screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 06:38 AM