Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2013, 09:47 AM   #8746
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
I'd grab a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner if I went SS filter again. Just drop it in and its like new in an hour or two with proper cleaning fluid.
Good idea. I might do that, when my stock up of paper filters runs out again.

By the way, I still am running your Y-Pipe in my bike!!
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 AM   #8747
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 11,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
When I put enough miles on it and in the summer and fall I usually ride more than 3000 miles in a given month.

Very, very jealous! Lately, 90% of my riding is commuting to/from work.

It doesn't help that the weather report constantly looks like:

By "constantly" I mean... for like the last five weeks!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #8748
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,083
Quote:
Good idea. I might do that, when my stock up of paper filters runs out again.

By the way, I still am running your Y-Pipe in my bike!!

Glad that unit is still serving! The rest of that system got cut up and mostly scrapped when I put the high pipes on...
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:07 PM   #8749
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Glad that unit is still serving! The rest of that system got cut up and mostly scrapped when I put the high pipes on...
Yes it is!!! So you don't have the front header still? I repaired mine about a year and a half ago. Cracked along the weld at the flange. I think it is time to replace now. I saw a set of used headers off another SM in ebay a few weeks back and should have grabbed them. Oh well, I'll keep looking.

Wiseblood: I commute every day on the bike too, and through the winter barring snow/ice on the roads, but my commute is short so I take some decent rides in the evenings and on weekends. the miles add up pretty quick. I also use the bike for just about everything this time of year and the car just sits and sits.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:36 AM   #8750
rw4x4van
East Coast Rider

Oddometer: 519
Quote:
I'd grab a harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner if I went SS filter again. Just drop it in and its like new in an hour or two with proper cleaning fluid.
KTM 950 SliderMoto with 19/17 spokes, FCR41's, 2-into-1 high pipe, single side front brake and handcut flattrack style tires. Gettin Slideways is good!

Like to see photos of the bike with those FT style tires

'98 KTM 620 RXC
'07 KTM 300 XCW
rw4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #8751
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Weekend project

Old 07-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #8752
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post

Nice, I have those in Orange. I still haven't managed to swap the brake lever though, I couldn't get the nut out of the OEM one. Make sure you keep the spring and the other bits form the OEM clutch lever, you need them for the FP levers. They look and feel awesome!!
Old 07-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #8753
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,412
I might have the chance to pick up an 06 with only 7,000ish miles.

It would be my only bike. I commute 99% on a motorcycle and it would really blow if the bike spent more time in pieces than being ridden.

How afraid should i be in terms of reliability?
Seems like a fuel pump or water pump goes out every two hours on these things...or am i being paranoid?
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:43 AM   #8754
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I might have the chance to pick up an 06 with only 7,000ish miles.

It would be my only bike. I commute 99% on a motorcycle and it would really blow if the bike spent more time in pieces than being ridden.

How afraid should i be in terms of reliability?
Seems like a fuel pump or water pump goes out every two hours on these things...or am i being paranoid?

Hi Cos --

I've been commuting on my 2007 SMR since September. Bought it with 2400 miles, and it's up to 9k right now.

I've definitely been more paranoid about maintenance than previous bikes, but it hasn't let me down yet. Mine consumes oil, so checking the level is a daily task. I'm on a 3,000 mile oil/filter change schedule, though sometimes I do change it a bit early.

FWIW, it's a relatively easy bike to work on, once you come to grips with removing the tank to get to the carbs. It is definitely a very logical set-up, and great care has (obviously) been taken to minimize the tools needed to do most work.

More important than that: It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Now, that being said, I do have my eye out for a better "daily commuter" -- if for no other reason than I'd like to enjoy the SMR for a long time, and I can't help but feel it has a better destiny than carrying my fat ass from home to work and back.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:58 AM   #8755
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Nice, I have those in Orange. I still haven't managed to swap the brake lever though, I couldn't get the nut out of the OEM one. Make sure you keep the spring and the other bits form the OEM clutch lever, you need them for the FP levers. They look and feel awesome!!
Got 'em installed! Wasn't too hard. Took me a minute to figure out how to get the plunger on the clutch lever off.

Time to go ridin'!

Old 07-15-2013, 05:08 AM   #8756
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
Hi Cos --

I've been commuting on my 2007 SMR since September. Bought it with 2400 miles, and it's up to 9k right now.

I've definitely been more paranoid about maintenance than previous bikes, but it hasn't let me down yet. Mine consumes oil, so checking the level is a daily task. I'm on a 3,000 mile oil/filter change schedule, though sometimes I do change it a bit early.

FWIW, it's a relatively easy bike to work on, once you come to grips with removing the tank to get to the carbs. It is definitely a very logical set-up, and great care has (obviously) been taken to minimize the tools needed to do most work.

More important than that: It's a hell of a lot of fun.

Now, that being said, I do have my eye out for a better "daily commuter" -- if for no other reason than I'd like to enjoy the SMR for a long time, and I can't help but feel it has a better destiny than carrying my fat ass from home to work and back.
Thanks. I'm really thinking about this.

What's the tank range?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:16 AM   #8757
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
Thanks. I'm really thinking about this.

What's the tank range?

Well, first, you have got to know a couple things: I have been trying to chase down an issue with low fuel economy since I got the bike. Most folks seem to be getting 30-35 mpg city. I've been getting a steady 21 mpg.

My SMR has a 14 liter (3.7 gallon) stock tank. That means, if I'm JUST commuting, I have to refuel after about 70-80 miles.

The SM has a 16 liter (I think) tank. Thats 4.2 gallons. So....

My crazy low MPG: 88.2 miles to empty
Most people (32 mpg): 134.4 miles to empty

NOW(!), all that being said, last month I installed a Safari tank:

http://safaritanksusa.com/product_in...products_id=20

That's 30(!!) liters, or 7.9 gallons. So, even my guzzlah can now go 165 miles before it's dry. Picture with Safari tank:

Old 07-15-2013, 06:59 AM   #8758
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,679
Quote:
.... Mine consumes oil, so checking the level is a daily task. I'm on a 3,000 mile oil/filter change schedule, though sometimes I do change it a bit early....
If you're constantly adding oil than why change it early? If anything, you should be able to go longer. Modern oil is really quite amazing stuff and filters and engines are machined so well that imo the 3,000 mile oil change is done more out of what we remember our fathers and grandfathers telling us rather than out of any requirement the bike has. So iirc, the KTM oil change recommendation is ~ 4,600 miles.

Having said that, I change at ~4,000 miles, but don't get nervous if I go a little longer
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:03 AM   #8759
Cos
Re-Greekified

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
If you're constantly adding oil than why change it early? If anything, you should be able to go longer. Modern oil is really quite amazing stuff and filters and engines are machined so well that imo the 3,000 mile oil change is done more out of what we remember our fathers and grandfathers telling us rather than out of any requirement the bike has. So iirc, the KTM oil change recommendation is ~ 4,600 miles.

Having said that, I change at ~4,000 miles, but don't get nervous if I go a little longer
You're the SM guru here Walter

Could i live with it as a sole bike? I've never owned a KTM before and reliability makes me a bit nervous.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:09 AM   #8760
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post

Well, first: You need to understand that I'm coming to the KTM from a very troublesome Triumph Tiger. So, I'm now constantly paranoid about every mechanical hiccup. Nonetheless, I'm stupid enough to not just buy a Japanese bike and be done with it.