Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #8806
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarantulahawk View Post
My SM was blown over by wind on a hill a few months ago. The leak that developed on the left side of the rad has grown and grown, sadly. I've tracked it down to a crack around the weld on the tab that holds up the overflow bottle.

I'm not above shelling out for a new one, but it makes sense to tap the Power Of The Internet(tm) and see if anyone's got one lying around they'd let go for cheap. Or has any advice on fixing the one I currently have (I imagine silicone sealer will just blow out under the pressure...) I'm thinking about dumping a bunch of ground pepper into it just to see if that will work as a temporary fix...
I had the tab that holds the oil tank up go out and had it repaired by a local welder. You may be able to take it to someone for that. It is very thin material, though so don't take it to a hack. It cost me like $40 and it held up for another year. I sprung for a new one last year after another small leak developed in the face of the radiator, I figured 40,000 miles and one repair in, it was due for a new one. Search ebay, I recently saw a bunch of SM parts off of a bike that was being parted out by a breaker.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 AM   #8807
obie3330
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nattyMo View Post
Sorry to hear about your off.

If you can't find a replacement spoiler to your liking you may try sanding down the damage and applying some orange vinyl wrap, then overlay the KTM Graphics. Here's one source for wrap:

http://www.decalfx.com/vinyl_sheets.html

Good luck and glad you weren't hurt,
NM

thanks for the info!
obie3330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #8808
nattyMo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
They have some great how to videos, helped me when I used their stuff.

http://www.decalfx.com/how_to_videos.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by obie3330 View Post
thanks for the info!
nattyMo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #8809
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
For you guys that have replaced the points on your fuel pumps, Im curious why you guys havent gone with a different solution, Dr beans kit, facet, something like that?
In my quest to get my SM as reliable as can be, i went with the Dr Beans kit, so far so good, but I only have a few hundred miles on it so far.
Cheap and easy to carry and do in the field. I have a Bean as on one of the bikes as well. I have a Facet and a vacuum pump on the shelf, but there are more connections with those solution because of relocation.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:18 PM   #8810
wcohl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
For you guys that have replaced the points on your fuel pumps, Im curious why you guys havent gone with a different solution, Dr beans kit, facet, something like that?

In my quest to get my SM as reliable as can be, i went with the Dr Beans kit, so far so good, but I only have a few hundred miles on it so far.
I did the same. I think for some, points are cheaper and can be replaced along the side of the road.
wcohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #8811
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
Cheap and easy to carry and do in the field. I have a Bean as on one of the bikes as well. I have a Facet and a vacuum pump on the shelf, but there are more connections with those solution because of relocation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcohl View Post
I did the same. I think for some, points are cheaper and can be replaced along the side of the road.
Makes sense to be able to change them on the side of the trail/road. I dont do THAT much crazy adventuring where I would need to change stuff on the side of the road, so i never even pondered that factor.

I know for 40ish bucks the Dr Beans kit was the best choice for me. I pondered the facet, but the Beans kit just seemed to make more sense to me.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:10 AM   #8812
dratom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Hi All, I spent 3 months reading this entire thread before buying a 2007SM. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this great resource!
And now my problem:
I'll admit to being a complete gumby when it comes to maintenance, but that doesn't stop me trying...

When I got the bike it'd just had the stock mufflers replaced with a single carbon slip-on with a db-killer. (i.e. 2 into 1)

It felt lean at cruise and gentle acceleration, so I pulled the carbs apart, raised the needles a notch (now 3rd from top), set the IMS to stock settings (2.5 turns out) and checked float heights - which were near enough to stock (3mm). I also deleted the SAS and EPC.

It was immediately better - but then winter came and now it's crap. It seems fine low down, but from about 4-5000rpm (no tach) constant throttle to gentle acceleration it stutters and hunts. It gets worse the higher the revs. I assume its lean as it seems to improve a little if I pull the choke on.
If a whack the throttle open at high rpm, the bike struggles to accelerate at first. If I go WoT from low rpm it pulls through strongly to the rev limiter.

I tried winding the IMS screws out another half turn, it may've reduced popping on overrun, but if it improved part throttle behavior, it's not obvious. Am I right to be winding the IMS out? We're currently at 3 turns.

Should I instead be raising the needle? Or going richer in the pilot?

I've pulled out every jet and blasted it with carb cleaner - so I don't think it's a blockage.

Air box and jetting is completely standard currently - planning on junking it in the future and replacing with a foam filter but I want to get it right "as-is" before I start faffing with induction. (I also want a good "before" dyno graph)

Thanks for any advice or suggested reading.
dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:12 AM   #8813
KHVol
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by dratom View Post
Hi All, I spent 3 months reading this entire thread before buying a 2007SM. Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this great resource, and now my problem.
I'll admit to being a complete gumby when it comes to maintenance, but that doesn't stop me trying...

When I got the bike it'd just had the stock mufflers replaced with a single carbon slip-on with a db-killer. (i.e. 2 into 1)

It felt lean at cruise and gentle acceleration, so I pulled the carbs apart, raised the needles a notch (now 3rd from top), set the IMS to stock settings (2.5 turns out) and checked float heights - which were near enough to stock (3mm). I also deleted the SAS and EPC.

It was immediately better - but then winter came and now it's crap. It seems fine low down, but from about 4-5000rpm (no tach) constant throttle to gentle acceleration it stutters and hunts. It gets worse the higher the revs. I assume its lean as it seems to improve a little if I pull the choke on.
If a whack the throttle open at high rpm, the bike struggles to accelerate at first. If I go WoT from low rpm it pulls through strongly to the rev limiter.

I tried winding the IMS screws out another half turn, it may've reduced popping on overrun, but if it improved part throttle behavior, it's not obvious. Am I right to be winding the IMS out? We're currently at 3 turns.

Should I instead be raising the needle? Or going richer in the pilot?

I've pulled out every jet and blasted it with carb cleaner - so I don't think it's a blockage.

Air box and jetting is completely standard currently - planning on junking it in the future and replacing with a foam filter but I want to get it right "as-is" before I start faffing with induction. (I also want a good "before" dyno graph)

Thanks for any advice or suggested reading.

Go to X-Bikes jetting and setup......will make it a totally different bike...( although I am not quite sure how X-Bikes will work with a single can)

KHVol screwed with this post 07-31-2013 at 10:23 AM
KHVol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:57 PM   #8814
950smr
Adventurer

Anyone have the full akrapovic evo system (headers and cans) and 41 fcr carbs on their bike? Looking to add some power since coming from an r1 the smr feels quite lethargic. Curious what I could expect from both of these additions.
950smr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:40 AM   #8815
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,377
40,247 (S)miles

Crossed over 40k this week- I think I'm the 3rd in the thread to have done so.

I guess my main observation is that the bike has retained its "freshness" for lack of a better word. While it doesn't look new, it still feels very much like the bike I bought 7 years ago. Which shouldn't be surprising from one aspect; since I remember saying in the first post that from the first ride the bike mostly felt broken-in.

My 2nd observation is that if I needed to replace it tomorrow I'd either get another one, an SMR, or (most likely) a 990SMT.

Which I'd say is a pretty ringing endorsement. Not a perfect bike by a long shot, but overall a pretty enjoyable bike to ride.

Obpic-- taggin' in backroads New Jersey

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #8816
preppypyro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
Thats awesome you have gotten so many miles on your SM.

I noticed after a 500 mile long ride I went on last weekend, that the seat is much more uncomfortable then I had originally thought, and the SM is a light bike. For cruising, I find it doesnt have the weight to it to set the throttle lock and kick back and relax. Its not a cruiser bike, so its not to be expected though.

I also noticed that at 6'2 inch's tall, the need for some kind of a highway peg for myself is almost needed.

Anyone have any simple solutions for the highway pegs?

Im also going to be shopping around for a seat of some sort. I would like to get one raised about 2 inchs if at all possible as well. Ive read a fair bit on different seats, seems like most are good, and people do have their preferences.
preppypyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #8817
dratom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHVol View Post
Go to X-Bikes jetting and setup......will make it a totally different bike...( although I am not quite sure how X-Bikes will work with a single can)
Thanks, I've read many good things about x-bikes and his set-up.
The ultimate plan is to go with SportingWood's conversion for a single ITG foam filter. Hard to imagine that it wouldn't be at least as good and maybe better again than x-bikes.
Right now though, I want to sort it with a stock air box - and since it takes me about 4 hours to fiddle the jets, I'd really like some indication that I'm heading in the right direction (or not!) :)
dratom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #8818
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by preppypyro View Post
I also noticed that at 6'2 inch's tall, the need for some kind of a highway peg for myself is almost needed.

Anyone have any simple solutions for the highway pegs?

Im also going to be shopping around for a seat of some sort. I would like to get one raised about 2 inchs if at all possible as well. Ive read a fair bit on different seats, seems like most are good, and people do have their preferences.

6' 11" here. What you need to do is to lower your expectations. It's the free solution which makes all motorcycles more comfortable.

Yesterday was a good day for a ride:

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #8819
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by 950smr View Post
Anyone have the full akrapovic evo system (headers and cans) and 41 fcr carbs on their bike? Looking to add some power since coming from an r1 the smr feels quite lethargic. Curious what I could expect from both of these additions.
R1 is a hell of a bike. I would expect almost anything to feel lethargic in comparison. Are you sure you really want a 950 SMR?

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #8820
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseblood View Post
R1 is a hell of a bike. I would expect almost anything to feel lethargic in comparison. Are you sure you really want a 950 SMR?
Exactly. I have an RC51 as my other bike (it is on Craig's List if anyone is interested, PM me!) and it is ridiculously fast. I really am afraid I will lose my license or worse so it has to go. The SM for me is the perfect mix of fast enough, torquey, and just plain old fun to ride. After about 20 mins on the RC I am ready to get off, after 20 mins on the SM I am just getting warmed up!!!

Hey Walter! I am one of those in the 40,000+ mile club too! I think I am close to 44,000 now.