Jet it correctly to start with...
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #9167
snowhawk jockey
Slack Jaw Gaper

Oddometer: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
Try Steel Bed. That's the stuff bench rest shooters use to glue actions into stocks.
JB weld putty stick is my standard vote for that kind of re-attachment.
snowhawk jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #9168
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Adhesives

Thanks Mike and Justin. The Steel Bed sounds like some really good stuff and obviously it can handle shock. The $50 price seemed a bit steep for the little that I would need. The JB Weld steel sticks seem to share some of the same qualities for way less money. I checked with my brother who is an aircraft mechanic at United and works with carbon fiber and aluminum regularly. He asked the senior engineer about it who recommended Hysol E40-FL by Loctite. This stuff has the added benefit of remaining a bit flexible as well as handling shocks and stress. If you think about it, under normal road riding, the headlight bracket is under a good load. It's like holding a dinner plate out your car window at 75mph (or faster...). Anyway, I ordered this stuff off Amazon and I'll let you know how it holds up. If the weather is good this weekend, I may need to tape my light back onto the fork tubes and go riding. Looked ugly, but got the job done!
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 AM   #9169
900rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rider View Post
Got my light brackets machined today. I'll do the install tomorrow.

I have one person ready to go on a set of these. A couple of you here had expressed interest as well. If any of you are in it lowers the cost for everyone. If I can get 2 more people in on this I can do $130 for the set with no anodize, $160 with black anodize and $6 for a flat rate box.

These should fit any ktm with 48mm forks (sm, smr, adv, all the dirt bikes 450 530 etc). Need to know soon.
900rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM   #9170
IndyChizzle
Spending more on gas

Oddometer: 696
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckMoto View Post
Thanks Mike and Justin. The Steel Bed sounds like some really good stuff and obviously it can handle shock. The $50 price seemed a bit steep for the little that I would need. The JB Weld steel sticks seem to share some of the same qualities for way less money. I checked with my brother who is an aircraft mechanic at United and works with carbon fiber and aluminum regularly. He asked the senior engineer about it who recommended Hysol E40-FL by Loctite. This stuff has the added benefit of remaining a bit flexible as well as handling shocks and stress. If you think about it, under normal road riding, the headlight bracket is under a good load. It's like holding a dinner plate out your car window at 75mph (or faster...). Anyway, I ordered this stuff off Amazon and I'll let you know how it holds up. If the weather is good this weekend, I may need to tape my light back onto the fork tubes and go riding. Looked ugly, but got the job done!
Doh! I wish I had seen this sooner. A good buddy of mine let me know that if you call Loctite's customer service, they will often send you a free product sample. They also have good technical experts that can help you pick out the right product for the application. While the stuff isn't cheap, it is amazing what they can do!
IndyChizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:33 AM   #9171
BuckMoto
Adventure Napping

Oddometer: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Doh! I wish I had seen this sooner. A good buddy of mine let me know that if you call Loctite's customer service, they will often send you a free product sample. They also have good technical experts that can help you pick out the right product for the application. While the stuff isn't cheap, it is amazing what they can do!
That's good to know about Loctite's customer service - thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 10:56 AM   #9172
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,332
We also have an inmate who works for LocTite and could have made a recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #9173
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
43,711 (S)miles

Oil change last week, just keep rolling along. Couple of tag shots from today.

wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #9174
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 454
Battery died

I guess it's my own fault for working too much and not riding enough lately. I left my new to me SM alone in the garage for 2 weeks and returned to find a dead battery. I'm not too surprised since it seems like it is the original battery that came with the bike from 2006 just based on the wear/ dirt on it.

I know that some guys are running the shorai's and I have used them on other bikes but I have read about some long term issues with them on 950's.

Since the Yuasa lasted in the bike since 2006 I decided to get another one to replace it.

Installing it tonight but this Nor'easter means that I'm not going to get to go for a ride for a couple days.

Plus I should have a set of those fork air bleeder valves arriving any day now. How many of you guys are using the bleeders, or are you just getting a screw driver out before and after rides?
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #9175
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejosh View Post
...Plus I should have a set of those fork air bleeder valves arriving any day now. How many of you guys are using the bleeders, or are you just getting a screw driver out before and after rides?
When I got my first KTM (1996 Duke) I'd heard and read that KTMs were hard on fork seals (that is, they blew them a lot) for some reason. So I installed them on that bike and all subsequent ones I owned. Fwiw, I have over 120,000 miles on the 4 9x0's I own/owned and have never had a fork seal issue. They're cheap insurance that's easy to use.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #9176
thejosh
Chump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
When I got my first KTM (1996 Duke) I'd heard and read that KTMs were hard on fork seals (that is, they blew them a lot) for some reason. So I installed them on that bike and all subsequent ones I owned. Fwiw, I have over 120,000 miles on the 4 9x0's I own/owned and have never had a fork seal issue. They're cheap insurance that's easy to use.
That is my thinking too. It's kind of silly that WP or KTM doesn't include them especially since they know it is a problem, but i guess it's another opportunity for us to add bling and keep the economy going.

Keep throwing money.
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
Old 10-11-2013, 05:17 AM   #9177
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,178
I've recently noticed that my SMR doesn't want to pull WOT in 5th or 6th gears and seems generally down on power. It will rev out OK (not strong) in the lower gears. The best example would be WOT trying to pass several cars on a long uphill. The bike feels like it is loading up and choking. As soon as I hit the main jets (I think), I can feel a different vibration from the engine. If I back off the throttle a tiny bit and ease the RPMs up, it doesn't load up.

My suspicion is that the X-bike jetting is too rich on mains, so I'm going to try 170(R)/165(F) instead of the 175/170 that's in there now. I think I read that the X-bike jetting specs were developed on bikes with full exhaust systems and I only have the LV slip-ons. Air cleaner was just cleaned before my trip last weekend and it didn't make any big difference.

So while I have my carbs off, anything else I should be looking for? Are there any critical diaphragms in there that tend to get old with age and might be leaking or something? I'm going to check my fuel mix screw (not that it affects WOT) and float height.

Thoughts?

Garry screwed with this post 10-11-2013 at 06:24 AM
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM   #9178
thejosh
Chump

G2 Throttle cam?

Have any of you guys used the G2 Throttle cam system?

http://www.advmachines.com/product_p/g2cam_kit.htm

It seems like a nice way to mellow the throttle out a little bit at the initial opening. I ride around the city a lot and at those small openings it is just a little jerky/sudden in traffic.

Or should I just learn to be a better/ less ham-fisted rider?
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
Old 10-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #9179
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Question

Originally Posted by Zwoehr
I think we should report any problems. From what I've read here and on other forums there are all kinds of problems with these tanks. Mine won't bolt on the frame anymore had a leak at an insert and is all wavy. Lot's of people have leaks at the low fuel sensor, many have leaks at the inserts and it seems like all the tanks are hard to refit after they've been removed. The tanks are nylon which is pretty unstable and absorbs water, but it that there were manufacturing defects that are just now making themselves apparent.

Ducati has been replacing PA tanks with some of the same issues. I think the KTM tanks and the Ducati tanks were manufactured by Acerbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by angustoyou View Post
I get your logic. But the first thing that I do if I have a problem is Google it. If I can find other people with the same problem on a forum somewhere while trying to find a solution, I'll post a new thread, or join in a current one. Everyone else who is browsing then sees another person with the same issue, and starts to see a trend - but I agree with you completely, in that it's not a true representation of the scale of the problem, because some people do lurk and don't post.

If people share an issue, they'll tend to chime in though. Did I check my tank when I took it off, for leaks and or distortion? You bet! Did I check the fuel pump points at the same time? No, (too much effort) but I picked up a fresh set and keep them in the toolkit. Do I examine my oil filter for wavy pleats when I changed the oil? Certainly do! And flushed the waterways out and changed the coolant, just in case there was some casting sand still in there. Do I keep an eye on my clutch slave? Absolutely! And change the fluid every oil change. If someone brings up a problem on here, or any other forum I use, I'll check my bike to see if it's happening to me too. And I'll let you know if it is, even if it's just a thank you to the original poster for making me check.

KTM are more than big enough to do a recall, but there has to be enough evidence of a problem. They've done them for a few things for the SM in the UK allready.

You found 8 problems, in a dedicated thread started 7 years ago, that has had nearly one and a quarter million views, I feel for the people having trouble, I really do, but that doesn't shout "common problem" to me. But hey, please don't stop posting!
So, any more news on this?

I ask because a new post has been started on the UK KTM site where someone else has a problem.

I'm really curious as to why some people have an issue, but the vast majority don't. One guy on the site above is on his third tank, I'm wondering if it's maybe fuel related? It's got to be something environmentaly that is affecting him, to have repeat failures, 'cos no-one is that unlucky, are they?
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #9180
angustoyou
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejosh View Post

Plus I should have a set of those fork air bleeder valves arriving any day now. How many of you guys are using the bleeders, or are you just getting a screw driver out before and after rides?
Installed my bleeders as the first mod to the bike when I got it. I think that they are a requirement for any long travel fork, and why they are not a factory fit is beyond me. Same for a lot of off road bikes though, it's not a KTM thing.

it does mean that the toolkit preload spanner no longer fits mind... Make sure you have an open ended spanner if you want to tweak while out riding. (When else would you do it??)
angustoyou is offline   Reply With Quote