Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2006, 04:22 PM   #106
Just Bob
Been There Done That

Oddometer: 257
Well this seems like a good place to do my first post...

I think I'm screwed. Last week I test rode an 06 950 SM outfitted with every carbon and otherwise piece of bling, the full titanium Akropovich system (with the silencer fittings out) and Dymag wheels. Oh, and it had been set up on the shop's new Dyno.

Holy naked nuns-on-a-bun! And the sound... OMFG!!!!!

So, is this a good deal? It was a factory (not shop) demo, has 400 miles on the clock. Shop wants $13k plus $400 freight plus $449 PDI plus tax. Figure I'd be about $14,770 OTR.

I've got a Triumph Daytona 675 that is track only. I'd off my 04 Speed Triple and 02 BMW 650 GS. Fun, but don't know that I'd miss them.

Should I?

Oops - forgot the obligitory icon. My wife's oppinion;
Just Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 07:06 PM   #107
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,684
That might seem a bit expensive, but
- the Dymags are (iirc) about $4k themselves
- if the Akro is the full system, I think that's over $2k.
- assuming it's dialed in right, the dyno time and tune effort.
- plus a few hundred for whatever bling is on it

So if you get the regular new bike warranty, it's a deal. I would have done that deal if it was available when I bought mine. Go for it and make us all jealous
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM   #108
Motobee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
That is a great deal. I paid that much for a stock bike out the door!

Brian
Motobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:27 PM   #109
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Laugh 3028 smiles- all is still very, very well

Been a while since I posted anything- just been riding it. Still a lot of fun .

I had to rebleed the clutch twice- self inflected, as I must have not seated the master cylinder correctly when I replaced the stock cover with a billet one. The first time the lever got really soft I was home; so it was nbd to correct it. The 2nd time it happend was towards the end of a ride when we were heading to a BMW open house. Totally lost pressure and the clutch a few miles from the dealer. Fortunately, the traffic and lights were with me, so I was able to make the dealer ok. By the time I was ready to leave, the clutch had some pressure so I decided to try for home (about 15 miles). Unfortunately, I had to stop 3 times But fortunately, I had enough of an incline to do rolling (if jerky) starts. Bled it again and made sure of the seal with repeated checking. All has been fine since.

The only other operational thing of note is that I've had to add almost 1/2 liter of oil since the 600 mile service. Seems to be within the norm.

As I said last month, I got a small screen for it; from Hyde Racing (http://www.hyderacing.com/home.htm). I waited to post on it because I had a couple of issues with it (one before mounting and 2 noticed afterward) and wanted to see how they handled it.

I noticed before I put it on that it seemed to have some "dimples" (for lack of a better word) in it- couldn't feel them with my hand, but could see them embedded in the material. Don't really notice them when on the bike so nbd. After I mounted the screen, I noticed that the Hyde stick-on was offset from center (more visible in the first picture); and then I noticed that the velcro stick-on dots were unbalanced (visible in the 2nd picture).

Since I saw these last two things after I mounted the screen, I figured it was my problem; which wasn't a real big deal. However, I felt I should contact Hyde and lmk they have some quality control issues they need to address. After Jay called me back and I explained the issues, he said he'd send a replacement screen; which he did; which impressed me.

The screen works just fine- doesn't seem to be much difference below 60 or so- but starts to be effective above there; making the relativrly still air envelope wider and higher. Very little helmet buffeting and I really just feel the wind on the outside of my arms/shoulders. I'm surprised that there seems to be no handling effect; at least up to 115 or so. I'm pleased with the screen.

I also bought some top triple and frame protection from Speedstar on this (and the KTMTalk) forum. It's 12mil carbon fiber look, 3M protective film.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:11 AM   #110
Snapcrackleandpop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Check this out copied from ktmforums
Name:  wsbraun3ly2.jpg
Views: 5395
Size:  85.2 KB

"The Windshield fits on the 950SM and 950SE.

The small screen is good for all Drivers
The large screen is better for Drivers larger than 1,80m (5'9") (5,9 Feet)

I will produce small and large screens in clear Polycarbonate.

But I will produce only large brown screens (if you want a small brown (dark) one please tell me quick)

I will produce the new series in Jan./Feb. 2007.

Please send me a Mail with your delivery adress and which size and colour you prefer.
To pretender950@gmx.de

Then I put you on the orderlist, you will get a Mail when the screens are ready, with all Datas (account, delivery time).
No obligation to purchase, the screens sell themselves very well.
You can send money with Bank transfer or PayPal.

Please ask questions in German or English (I can not speak Italian/French)

The price will be 45,-Euro for the clear screen.
and 49,-Euro for the brown (smoked) screen.
+ 9,-Euro for the shipping to all EU coutries.
Other countries... no Problem, please ask me. ;-)"
Snapcrackleandpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #111
Snapcrackleandpop
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Name:  ws2fx1.jpg
Views: 5383
Size:  109.1 KB

Another Pic
Snapcrackleandpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:48 PM   #112
klx400kev
Faster in the dirt

Oddometer: 87
More pix of both those screens (side profile please)
Old 01-16-2007, 01:20 PM   #113
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Bluhduh 3444 miles, & first drop

A week late on the report, but so it goes

Usual stuff, loads of fun, no issues, etc..

During a map stop on a club road ride last Sunday, something happened that highlighted the good news/bad news of the 950SM. We stopped next to a big open field of sorts- so while people were doing that I decided to futz around in the dirt and slide around (it had rained for a couple of days previously) while they were stopped. Which is the good news part of the 950SM- there's always something on which to ride. However, after a little while I noticed it getting pretty soggy/slippery so I went to head back to the road- figuring to execute a stylish stand up rear wheel slide turn. Before I could say "ah shit!"; I was on the ground awkwardly pinned under the bike: and I had to wait for my friends to come over and get it off me. Unlike AdvRider folks- STMC doesn't wait to take pictures first so no one got any really shameful pictures. And I was spared the ultimate insult of any of them riding over on their pure street bikes to help me And that's the bad news part- with the tires that suit it best- it just can't do mud all that well. Fair trade off.

Couple of pics, just to liven up the post- fortunately my body spared the bike getting real dirty, and a quick blat up and down the road cleared up the loose hanging stuff.

Even got Brent's nice rack dirty. For shame!

I'll close with an ATGATT comment- I felt real glad that I had my Daytona boots on- as I'm pretty sure the carbon shell saved me from a likely broken, or at least pretty severe, ankle injury. As it was, the angle of my leg caused me to wrench my knee. It was a little sore the rest of the day, but was painful for several days afterward; and is still a little tender a week later. All this at less than 10MPH

wpbarlow screwed with this post 02-24-2007 at 01:55 PM
Old 01-16-2007, 04:40 PM   #114
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,435
Walter,

Sorry to hear you dropped the bike, but glad to see it wasn't damaged.

Here's a funny story I haven't told anyone.

Last summer, after having had the bike a few months, I had gotten pretty used to riding into my garage and doing a dismount as the bike came to a stop so I didn't have to stop the bike and then try to swing a leg over (I'm short-ish).

Anyway, cruised into the garage, swung my right leg over to the left side as I was rolling to a halt and stepped down on the edge of the kickstand of my '69 Honda Z50.

As I am trying desperately to hold up the 950 (I will not let it fall, I will not let it fall), I fall backwards over the Z50 snapping its kickstand. The little bike, its kickstand being the only thing holding me up at this point, has failed me. I fall backwards over the 50 and the 950 comes down with me, pinning me between the two bikes. Both legs.

So there I lay, pinned between the bikes, with enough twist on my twice-replaced right knee ACL to make the pain excrutiating. My wife is in the house, but the garage is detached. My cell is in my pocket, but with the twist of my body I can't get to it to make a call for help (she couldn't have lifted the bike anyway and then I just would have been trapped AND listening to her scream). I realized pretty quick that I had to do something so I sucked it up and pulled... hard. As soon as I pulled, the pain got intense and in uncontrolled response I stopped pulling on my leg and pushed... and just like that gained a little space which releaved the twist on my knee so I was then able to straighten my body and work my legs out one at a time.

Damage,
One Z50 kickstand.
One Z50 stator cover.
One BIG ASS (o.k. 1") scratch in the 950 gas tank.
One seriously damaged ego (mental note, tell NO ONE!).

Yeah, my Supermoto had been down. And I wasn't even moving.

Brent

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:43 AM   #115
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347
... Here's a funny story I haven't told anyone.
...One seriously damaged ego (mental note, tell NO ONE!). ...Brent

Don't worry- your secret is safe with me
Old 01-21-2007, 09:23 AM   #116
adjuster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I only drop other peoples bikes..

LOL, the zero speed drop stories keep me laughing, but then again, I've done it too.

Guessing by my name, I on occasion write damage bikes and other stuff.

I'm at this bike shop looking at this fully chromed out "farley" cruiser, a Suzuki IIRC, anyway the shop estimater rolled bike out of a line of parked bikes so we could look around both sides, and feel for damage to the pipe and side cases etc. I decided to be a nice guy and roll the bike back in, and of course, caught the kickstand on my toe, it retracts and then I bump into the bike next to me that was on it's center stand, it starts to rock, and I find myself holding up a 700lb bike with my thumb and forefinger...

And it is slowing going down! The shop guy sees this, but just stands there in shock, the upside is a break in the line of bikes at the service bay door, so at the most, 5 bikes will go down, but I twist on my hand, just about break my thumb as it's twisted up between the clutch and the bar, and save the bike while pulling a groin muscle in the process... He Man! Master of the Universe! LOL

SO, after getting the bike up, expressing a few choice cuss words, he looks at my thumb and says "I've never seen that before.."

Seriously I had a square "hole" that was quicking turning black and blue on the side of my thumb, just between the nail and the first knuckle... Hurt like hell, but I did not fully drop the bike.

Moral of the story? Don't move other peoples bikes! LOL
adjuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 02:40 PM   #117
importfan878
mopeder

Oddometer: 16
how this compar to the superduke and Se with road tires
importfan878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #118
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

3502, still smiling

Finally, the weather and my schedule cooperated- if you can call 34 degrees and a free hour "cooperation" Hadn't ridden the 950 in about 6 weeks

Bopped around for a while until I came across a dual sport park. Well, it was either a dual sport park or a construction site of some type Either way, it was deserted and the surface was pretty good for some 950 fun.

The Scorpions work pretty well on this kind of surface, and is a good fit for the bike.

I left there after a while and soon found myself at a supermoto track. Well, it was either a supermoto track or a newly completed development

Either way it was pretty deserted, so I hooned around for a while before heading home via some twisty bits.

At 50 miles, this was the shortest ride I've done on the 950. Still a lot of fun though- which is the whole point of the bike.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:37 AM   #119
Crow
Corvid

Oddometer: 1,288
More Range

Any rumors of a larger tank being made available? Similar to how the 18L that can be used on a Duke II to extend the range? Or, how the aftermarket is coming up with larger tanks for the BMW HP2?
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #120
wpbarlow OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crow
Any rumors of a larger tank being made available? Similar to how the 18L that can be used on a Duke II to extend the range? Or, how the aftermarket is coming up with larger tanks for the BMW HP2?
Not only not rumored, but this is the first question I remember about anyone even asking for a larger tank. I doubt very much if there will be any tank options given the bike's charter and the relatively low volume of bikes.

As an aside, did another 100 or so miles yesterday in cold temps and snow flurries Sitting a little over 3600 miles total. 4k mile service soon.