ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #1
PHXAdventure OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
3 Safari Tank Questions

On the 40L Safari Tanks for the KTM 990
1) Do the Acrerbis gas caps work in the Safari tank
2) Do they Make the Sock Like filters that fit in the Filler neck
3) Does the use of this tank require the removal of the charcoal canister system (Canisterectomy)

Thanks in Advance
PHX Adventure
PHXAdventure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:14 AM   #2
guglemonster
Crivens!!!

Oddometer: 418
have answers only to fhr first TWO

yep, big acerbis caps, with or without key

yep, 4 different producers, mine along the rest too and you can than reuse it on the std fuel caps should you go back to original tanks, starting from 40 to 0 micron,

as for the canisterectomy, I do think it sits somewere else on the bike....

Old 06-13-2015, 10:55 AM   #3
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,682
Canister must be removed on the 990 to install the Safari tanks

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 10:38 AM   #4
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38 View Post
Canister must be removed on the 990 to ride it
There I fixed it for you
spencergt66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:59 AM   #5
Whele
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
can I add some more questions?

I have a pair of Safari tanks that I bought last month. They were second hand, and only came with fuel caps and keys.

Is there supposed to be a fuel pump gasket or do i re-use the standard item?

Likewise, I assume the lower fuel taps and the balance hose connections all transfer from KTM tanks to the safari tanks???
Whele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #6
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whele View Post
can I add some more questions?

I have a pair of Safari tanks that I bought last month. They were second hand, and only came with fuel caps and keys.

Is there supposed to be a fuel pump gasket or do i re-use the standard item?

Likewise, I assume the lower fuel taps and the balance hose connections all transfer from KTM tanks to the safari tanks???

Yes transfer the taps or buy another OEM set.

The tanks only come with the Keyed caps I never used them Just go buy the large Acerbis caps

My tanks did come with a gasket for the Pump but I never used it as it was blowing out trying to get it to mate up. I just used the factory O-rings. It took a few tries to get them in there right and not roll or tear but I have never had a leak once installed
Old 06-20-2015, 10:29 AM   #7
Robbybas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Open question to Safari Tank users on the SE 950 R, did you sand? Buff? Polish? The safari tank in black? Or just bolted on? The tank I have has bit of rough molds, pimply looking excess plastic making the overall surface "rough". I will try to take a photo soon to help me explain.. Or is this normal? Just wondering, thanks.

Robby
Robbybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 06:30 AM   #8
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbybas View Post
Open question to Safari Tank users on the SE 950 R, did you sand? Buff? Polish? The safari tank in black? Or just bolted on? The tank I have has bit of rough molds, pimply looking excess plastic making the overall surface "rough". I will try to take a photo soon to help me explain.. Or is this normal? Just wondering, thanks.

Robby
The one I had on my SE yes. The early safari tanks for the SEs were pretty rough.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #9
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
to be honest the finish on all safari tanks is total crap, especially given the cost, they just dont care, nobody else makes anything similar, so regardless of price fit or finish its that or nothing, so take it or leave it.
Bowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:31 AM   #10
guglemonster
Crivens!!!

Bowser, that's not fair :)

you wnt them light, you want them big, you want them cheap

the finishig derives from the material, the production has to be cheap, and using PP or PA would make them far more expensive.

the real problem is the "perspiration" wich makes any kind of finisching useless

there are many succesfull evolution

KREEM while vergin, double layer inside, double layer outside than plastic paiting

TAnkerite GUM, again double layer inside and than simply out side flamming and plastic painting.....

but than, they were born to bu sturdy, take plenty of pounding and look badass for the ultimate dual sport bike.....

mine have som many deep scars and hits that they look like madmax underware

use them for what they were intended and you'll be very happy indeed

Old 06-24-2015, 05:44 AM   #11
Robbybas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
guess the side panels will have to "make-up" for the poor finish. Thanks guys. Has anyone tried inserting Race FOAM? To help sloshing under braking and weight transfer issues?
Robbybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:41 AM   #12
guglemonster
Crivens!!!

they are almost vertical, there is not much sloshing around and I would avoid the foam, unless is extremely stable, even the finest dust will play havoc with your prefilter, bare it in mind

Old 06-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

I dont want them cheap, what I want is them well made, I would prefer that they were made out of Nylon as per the acerbis/TT tank for the GS1100/1150, I would prefer that for the cost if they must use Polythene then at the least Flouride treat the tank so that the vapor is not absorbed into the plastic and they can be painted and or repaired if needed, in addition they would not swell quite so much, and I think that for the equivilent of $2300 in the UK thats not much to ask for. I have a set and I use them, and appreciate them however I still have a bitter taste in that I have been right royaly feked over by the manufacturer, they are ripping off everyone who purchases a set but since there is not much of an option, only take it or leave it, so we put up, however that does not make the tanks well made, or good value for money, or even made to an acceptable standard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guglemonster View Post
Bowser, that's not fair :)

you wnt them light, you want them big, you want them cheap

the finishig derives from the material, the production has to be cheap, and using PP or PA would make them far more expensive.

the real problem is the "perspiration" wich makes any kind of finisching useless

there are many succesfull evolution

KREEM while vergin, double layer inside, double layer outside than plastic paiting

TAnkerite GUM, again double layer inside and than simply out side flamming and plastic painting.....

but than, they were born to bu sturdy, take plenty of pounding and look badass for the ultimate dual sport bike.....

mine have som many deep scars and hits that they look like madmax underware

use them for what they were intended and you'll be very happy indeed

Old 06-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
guglemonster
Crivens!!!

Bowser we are also paying the extra money to TT and /or for import, but I do agree with you, KTM had to think about that and propose the Nylon version at a top price but they would be much better indeed.

point is ktm never believed much in this bike since the beginning, placing it within different market segments, destinations, uses....

Old 06-30-2015, 01:34 PM   #15
Bowser
Gnarly Adventurer

the tanks have nothing to do with TT or KTM they are all made in Australia and made by one company. Most of the stuff made in europe now by Acerbis is Nylon and dosent suffer from the problems of the poly ones. KTM standard tanks are nylon. I would mind but every other manufacturer that still makes tanks from Poly have them Flouride treated which again avoids most of the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guglemonster View Post
Bowser we are also paying the extra money to TT and /or for import, but I do agree with you, KTM had to think about that and propose the Nylon version at a top price but they would be much better indeed.

point is ktm never believed much in this bike since the beginning, placing it within different market segments, destinations, uses....