ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Today, 09:33 AM   #1
cpeebles1 OP
K-80

Oddometer: 88
wiring help on GPS, Acc-2 already used

trying to install a montana 600 on a 2006 950 adv. Bike is new to me, and prev. owner has used the ACC-2 to wire the heated grips, as well has used the ACC-1 for a dual 12v. outlet. I would like to have it connected to ignition switch so it will go on and off with the key. Other than wiring to battery, is there another option? any help greatly appreciated.
cpeebles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:32 AM   #2
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
Just double up the spade connectors on the ACC, no problem.
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:38 AM   #3
bigtodd
Hi, wanna ride?

Oddometer: 1,489
The direction I am going with this issue is wiring a small fuse block into the storage box connected to ACC2. Disconnedt your heated grips from ACC2, connect the fuse block to ACC2, then run yorr GPS and heated grips into the new fuse block. Probably have ability to have one more accessory tied to that as well.

I'm sure there will be someone to point out that ACC2 can only handle so many amps or something. I'll be interested to find out before I blow someting up. I run my GPS off ACC1 so it's powered all the time. Currently have some LED aux lights wired into ACC2 and want to add heated grips.

SPOT - bigtodd - where I at now?
bigtodd.whereamiriding.com
bigtodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:12 AM   #4
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,784
The Montana has a standard USB charger, and an USB2.0 socket on your computer has a max output power of 0.5A. So the montana will use even less power possibly. So you can parallel connect it with the heated grips @ ACC2 easily without maxing out the 10A fuse, as the heated grips possibly don't use up all the 10Amps.

Sumi screwed with this post Today at 11:19 AM
Sumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:02 PM   #5
cpeebles1 OP
K-80

thanks for help

I am however, how shall I say somewhat challenged at this sort of stuff. Do you have a picture of how to double up the acc-2 connection? or possibly a part number.
Thanks
Old Today, 12:23 PM   #6
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,755
Since you already have heated grips wired to that circuit there is another route that will get you clean power to both your grips and what ever else you want to wire up on the bike.
Use the ACC2 connection to trigger a relay, the power to the relay comes straight from batt. This will take the entire load off the stock wiring harness.
Run 12g wire from batt to relay, then relay to the items you want to power. Put a fuse as close to the batt connection as possible to protect the wiring in case of short circuit.

In the picture below the heavy blue wire is bringing power up from the battery. The RED cube is the relay which is triggered by the ACC2 circuit. The LED's and heated grips only get power while the bike is running but put 0 load of the factory harness. Hard to tell in the pics as I was mocking stuff up for this project when taking the picture.
The final version used a relay for an AC compressor which is much smaller and rated for 20amps more than enough for my use.

DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:39 PM   #7
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeebles1 View Post
I am however, how shall I say somewhat challenged at this sort of stuff. Do you have a picture of how to double up the acc-2 connection? or possibly a part number.
Thanks
I don't know the name of the connector that the ACC (female) connector has, but you can buy it from every hardware store IMO - at least here in europe. Now you either buy/ or make 2 Y adaptors (one for ground, one for hot wire), and connect the Y-s to the ACC connector on the bike, and connect the GPS and Heated grip to the other ends (grounds to ground, hots to hot ofcourse) - This is the cleanest and prettiest probably. Or if you don't want to get fancy, you can splice into the Heated grips connector/wire (before the controller ofcoure, so somewhere near the ACC plug end - but not the bike's harness preferably), and connect the gps wires to that (hot to hot, ground to ground)

Sumi screwed with this post Today at 12:48 PM
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #8
cpeebles1 OP
K-80

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumi View Post
I don't know the name of the connector that the ACC (female) connector has, but you can buy it from every hardware store IMO - at least here in europe. Now you either buy 2 Y adaptors (one for ground, one for hot wire), and connect the Y-s to the ACC connector on the bike, and connect the GPS and Heated grip to the other ends (grounds to ground, hots to hot ofcourse) - This is the cleanest and prettiest probably. Or if you don't want to get fancy, you can splice into the Heated grips connector/wire (before the controller ofcoure, so somewhere near the ACC plug end - but not the bike's harness preferably), and connect the gps wires to that (hot to hot, ground to ground)
think I can do either of those options, Thanks, Would anyone know if I am overloading anything here?
Old Today, 12:53 PM   #9
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeebles1 View Post
think I can do either of those options, Thanks, Would anyone know if I am overloading anything here?
There are 2 routes to take:

1, Find the specifiacation of the heated grips and have a look at it, how much power does it draw - add the max 0.5A (@5V, which is less at 12V (0.208A), but calculate with 0.5A for safety) of the GPS, and if it's under 10A, you're good to go.

(if power is specified in watts, then Amps = number of watts / 12 (volts))

so let's say it is 100W, then the power in amps are 100W/12V = 8.33A.

Or if you have a multimeter, you can connect it in series with the hot wire of the heated grips (unplug the hot wire from the ACC connector, connect one probe of the multimeter to the hot connector on acc, and the other probe to hot wire of heated grips, and turn on the grips) and measure the amps that way, as seen in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWA9WqSEjg8

2, Assemble it, test it, and if the 10A ACC2 fuse blows in the glowbox, then it's not going to work, as the heated grips are drawing more than 9.5A (114Watts).

Sumi screwed with this post Today at 01:01 PM
Old Today, 12:54 PM   #10
mcstark
KaTooM convert

Oddometer: 1,098
Heated grips should consume 3 Amps max. The GPS draws less than 1 Amp. If you have carb heaters, they probably draw 2 Amps - can someone confirm?

So you're at 6 Amps on a circuit that will handle 10. No problems.

2004 KTM 950 Adventure
Black is the new orange
mcstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:05 PM   #11
Sumi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcstark View Post
Heated grips should consume 3 Amps max. The GPS draws less than 1 Amp. If you have carb heaters, they probably draw 2 Amps - can someone confirm?

So you're at 6 Amps on a circuit that will handle 10. No problems.
The carb heaters are IMO wired to ACC1 (always on) with a temperature switch (switches on under 5C) out of the factory.

Edit: Sorry, just looked at the wiring diagram, and they're wired to ACC2 (obviously) out of the factory:)

Anyways, the 10A fuse will IMO easily handle that +0.2-0.5Amps that the GPS draws as I still don't think that the heated grips + carb heaters exceed a draw of 9.5A.

Sumi screwed with this post Today at 01:26 PM
Old Today, 01:22 PM   #12
Peanuts
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,571
So now we have confirmed that there is enough capacity to use the ACC connections, get yourself 2 males and 2 females like this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100x-Red-Ful...item5af38842cc

then at the end of the GPS wires put one of each terminal. Then you can unplug the heated grips and plug the new connectors in, effectively splicing into the ACC circuit.
Brown = ground on a KTM
Peanuts is offline   Reply With Quote