Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #3091
metal
President of FRONJ

Oddometer: 160
Pit. Filling both tanks. This was before my Neduro tank broke.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:37 AM   #3092
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
Hey Sanjay, what's new. We need to hit the desert sometime soon. Got a 4 day in Baja in early November if you're up for it.
Ken,

Keep me in the loop. I'm racing the 1000, so as long as I am not behind on prepping my race bike and what not I'm down. If you have any details, shoot me a PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 11:38 AM   #3093
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal
Ken,

Keep me in the loop. I'm racing the 1000, so as long as I am not behind on prepping my race bike and what not I'm down. If you have any details, shoot me a PM.

I'll add you and Soto to the list...
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #3094
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 6,017
Metal. You look a Bit "Zombied" in that finish line shot
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #3095
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,334
Ned broke?

Quote:
Pit. Filling both tanks. This was before my Neduro tank broke.
Any more info on this? Just bought one. Anything I can do to prevent the breakage? Thanks in advance, Dino
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:53 AM   #3096
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik
Metal. You look a Bit "Zombied" in that finish line shot
I swapped my goggles to a set with clear lenses at my last pit. Unfortunately they were old with bad foam. The silt and trucks made for some bloodshot eyes and a bit of a zombie look.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #3097
PowerCell
SE990R

Oddometer: 2,145
Quote:
I swapped my goggles to a set with clear lenses at my last pit. Unfortunately they were old with bad foam. The silt and trucks made for some bloodshot eyes and a bit of a zombie look.

Dude, you look a 100 years old... How did you do in the 250?
PowerCell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #3098
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino2000
Any more info on this? Just bought one. Anything I can do to prevent the breakage? Thanks in advance, Dino
Dino,
It was mounted correctly, so I was pretty bummed it happened. I think the mounting system isn't stiff enough side to side. I think what happened was that I hit a series of pretty hard G-outs and the tank swun in just enough to hit my chain.

The 2 inserts that go into the tank ripped out and the metal bracket got badly bent/mangled. I'm not sure what order this all happened.

The tank was pretty much full at the time, so I think the weight helped it swing inwards. I smelled the gas first and looked down and saw the problem. Luckily I was close to a pit and was able to ride back to the last pit before my chase guys were gone.
Out pit strategy was gone now as I would have to pit where we were originally just going to skip or do ride-bys.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:06 PM   #3099
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerCell
Dude, you look a 100 years old... How did you do in the 250?
I assume you're talking about the Parker 250. It is the only other time I raced the SE. I did OK. It just wasn't a good race for the SE. The course was an 80 mile loop and the bike only did well on about 15 miles of it. The course started out with about 20 miles of deep gravel whoops. It ended with a long section of deep, rutted out, rocky whoops. Not sure a 450lbs bike with stock suspension was meant to plane over these type of whoops. I really wish I had my 525.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:39 PM   #3100
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Dino,
It was mounted correctly, so I was pretty bummed it happened. I think the mounting system isn't stiff enough side to side. I think what happened was that I hit a series of pretty hard G-outs and the tank swun in just enough to hit my chain.

The 2 inserts that go into the tank ripped out and the metal bracket got badly bent/mangled. I'm not sure what order this all happened.

The tank was pretty much full at the time, so I think the weight helped it swing inwards. I smelled the gas first and looked down and saw the problem. Luckily I was close to a pit and was able to ride back to the last pit before my chase guys were gone.
Out pit strategy was gone now as I would have to pit where we were originally just going to skip or do ride-bys.
Metal you aren't the first person this has happend to. Mine ripped out as well as a buddy's. I've since slowed down and don't ride my SE like it's my 525. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, but I realize not everyone wants to do that with the SE...
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:57 PM   #3101
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Metal you aren't the first person this has happend to. Mine ripped out as well as a buddy's. I've since slowed down and don't ride my SE like it's my 525. I'm hoping this will fix the problem, but I realize not everyone wants to do that with the SE...
Were you and you buddy able to fix your tank? My tank has a small crack in it and I'm not sure where one of my brass inserts went that the bracket attaches to. Does anyone know if this material can be plastic welded back together?
Right now I don't see myself doing any races on the SE anytime soon, but it would be nice to be able to do longer rides and not have to back off when the going gets rough.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM   #3102
dino2000
No Bad Daze

Oddometer: 1,334
Thanks Metal, I'll take a close look at it before I install to see if there is anything that can be done to shore it up.
dino2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #3103
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Quote:
Were you and you buddy able to fix your tank? My tank has a small crack in it and I'm not sure where one of my brass inserts went that the bracket attaches to. Does anyone know if this material can be plastic welded back together?
Right now I don't see myself doing any races on the SE anytime soon, but it would be nice to be able to do longer rides and not have to back off when the going gets rough.
I contacted Ned and got a new for $150. Something I forgot to mention with mine is that I didn't have the middle bracket installed the whole time. I did ride it improperly mounted for a bit. My friend however had his mounted correctly the whole time and even had pannier racks that protected the tank from tip overs.

My buddy's tank was sucked into the chain and wheel and like yours has a hole in it. Mine did not have this occur. The bolts just came out. We both just got new ones and are slowing the pace a bit. We had done the LA2B2V keeping pace with most of the 450s, etc... so we aren't exactly slow riders, but it looks like your even faster. Maybe get the huge Safari tank?

Oh yeah, we also have a fabricator friend that is trying to find a way to brace our tanks at the bottom. He thinks he's got a good idea for it and I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers!

Oh, and to keep on topic here's a water craossing out in the Owhyee area...

T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #3104
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,011
Quote:

Is that white powder under your nose.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:41 PM   #3105
metal
President of FRONJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
Is that white powder under your nose.
As Rick James once said...