ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #5206
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
My twins were so happy when they found a playmate.....
You Glutton !
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #5207
jwalters
Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer: 2,244
Had a tech day the past couple of days. Did some valve adjustments on a pile of LC8's!

Proliferator of Farkles of Mass Percussion
jwalters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #5208
Balsta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo View Post
Three?
Not three... four.... but the fourth contaminates his stable...
Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM   #5209
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,171

Two of the SE's are mine,,, the other is just visiting.

There are quite a few other bikes in the shop not in the picture. The old 'wing in the background was a freebee.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #5210
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Finally got my new ride dirty. My 990 was a little pissed, tho, as I left on the 950 this morning. I'm surprised I don't think I need to send this suspension to superplush like my 990 required. Maybe the longer travel + less weight is the reason. I do, however see a steering damper in my future. This thing once the clickers are dialed, is just magical!

grant22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #5211
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by grant22 View Post
Finally got my new ride dirty.
Congrats!!

Just don't get that stock shock too pissed off... you'll have a different opinion on it then. SP is not the answer for it.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #5212
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Would you mind expanding on that a little please?
Old 03-28-2014, 09:09 PM   #5213
JRod152
will work for tires

Quote:
Would you mind expanding on that a little please?
Well, I'm certainly no suspension guru, so TIFWIW...

What kind of rider are you?

The SE is known to have a decently sprung, but hydraulically stiff front end. It's an odd setup. In stock form, the fork will reward harder riding but you are missing out on a lot of low speed compliance b/c of the valving, among other issues. Not to mentions crazy front end dive.

Controversially, the stock shock is, well, darn near the same as a 150lb KTM 85SX. It is inferior in it's design for the big bike. It's way oversprung, unless you're a really big human. It's unfortunate that KTM didn't put a decent PDS w/ hydro preload on it like on the ADV. The stock shock will grenade when pushed in high speed situations for longer periods... piping hot! If you don't do that kind of riding, you may very well be fine. This heavy spring rate out back will make you fight balance, especially if you ride it a lot w/o luggage for play riding.

Talk to Konflict for ways to make the stock shock work for you. He supposedly has something that will work if you arent testing the bike's limits. Talk to Konflict or Powercell if it doesn't.... just dont be pissed of the solution for a decent shock is $2 - 2.5K. As for me, SP was not the answer, so I'm really just talking to myself. Wish I had that $ back for the good stuff.

Again... what kind of rider are you. Is it a race bike that happens to like adventure? Or is it a lighter and more rare 950ADV that is a fun second all around bike?

I say... ride the piss out of it. Fix something if it breaks... just fix it with the good stuff so you can ride the piss out of it some more.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #5214
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

I'm an aggressive rec rider (desert). Obviously, I'm not comfortable on the bike yet since it's brand new to me, so I'm not pushing too hard yet. I will be ramping it up, tho. This will be my light weight, fairly naked adv bike. The 990 will be the one with payload. This will just be my 300 mile go ride fast in the desert bike.

Surprised sp isn't a solution for this bike. They did magic on my 990, but it sounds like we're talking about two different problems being dealt with.

Today, once I backed Comp out on the front and was very plush and didn't bottom. I definitely hauled ass in the straights which has mondo g-outs.

The rear was decent, backed the Comp out all the way to get the results I wanted (plush without mushiness). I need to take out more preload since the front knifed too easily.

It'll be a work in progress, but thx, I will talk to konflict about the rear.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:45 PM   #5215
JRod152
will work for tires

Sounds like you're are enjoying the bike... don't let my thoughts take away that enjoyment. It's a blast, isnt it!

I just wish I had someone tell that stuff to me before I dropped the coin. I would have done it differently.

Ride it. Figure it out as you go. Consult the experts here when you have questions, not jus the yahoos like me w/ too many opinions.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:52 PM   #5216
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
I'm an aggressive rec rider (desert). Obviously, I'm not comfortable on the bike yet since it's brand new to me, so I'm not pushing too hard yet. I will be ramping it up, tho. This will be my light weight, fairly naked adv bike. The 990 will be the one with payload. This will just be my 300 mile go ride fast in the desert bike.

Surprised sp isn't a solution for this bike. They did magic on my 990, but it sounds like we're talking about two different problems being dealt with.

It'll be a work in progress, but thx, I will talk to konflict about the rear.
Can't say about there being two different problems, but I had James rebuild my shock at ~22K miles. It worked fine, although a bit harsh, and was shot. He did a re-valve, but made no spring change from stock. I guess what I'm saying is that the rear was OK for a less than aggressive rider who travels on the bike and weighs ~210lbs in riding kit. The ride now has been very good in all conditions encountered thus far.
The front was another thing altogether. I could never get it dialed. Probably my varied riding applications and general suspension ineptitude. After the SP rebuild, re-valve, and re-spring (6.4) the bike floats over obstacles where it once plowed and is certainly confidence inspiring.
From my perspective it was money well spent, but I was going to have to do something anyway, given the general state of things.

For Sale: Brand new '12 KTM 690ER Safari Tank http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post25402584
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #5217
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer

Hmmmm. I'm 200 before all the gear. Like JRod said, I'll just continue on riding it and tweaking it as I go, then if I get to a point where I'm running out of options, I'll send it in.

At least it's rideable aggressively out of the box.

My '13 990 on the other hand was bottoming something fierce and had the dreaded brake dive. I only had 200 miles on the bike and sent the susp in. It was undid able offroad but SPS solved that for sure. I can bomb down a smooth dirt road at 80-100 and it laughs at the g-outs. The only thing I bottom on now is square edges at high speeds.

I think I'm having better luck (so far) with the SE susp since it's 5 cm more travel and weighs about a 100 lbs less, therefore it's a lot more forgiving.

Anyway, thx for the advice! My next move is relocating my VR with that guy's bracket from CAN. After that, fuel pump mod time.

This thing is a full shit attack tho. Way more exhilarating than the 990.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #5218
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
... My next move is relocating my VR with that guy's bracket from CAN ...
Linky or Pic

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #5219
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,022
inmate LAKEMONSTER:

http://advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=184161
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #5220
grant22
Gnarly Adventurer