User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2006, 10:35 PM   #1
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,836
640 Fuel Pump

Anybody know if you can get a new diaphram for the Mikuni fuel pump on the Adventure? The dealer quoted me over $100 for the pump itself but didn't have any kind of rebuild kit listed for it.
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,803
Gunner,
Is there a Mikuni number on the fuel pump? I saw several fuel pumps listed on the Mikuni America web site with parts available. Did you try Sommer for parts?
KTM has to make these parts available to us.
Bill in Tomahawk, WI.
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:54 AM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerbuck
Anybody know if you can get a new diaphragm for the Mikuni fuel pump on the Adventure? The dealer quoted me over $100 for the pump itself but didn't have any kind of rebuild kit listed for it.
I believe the Mikuni pump is the base model DF52. There are variations of this pump with one, two and three outlets. If you look closely at the pump, you'll see there are two unused (undrilled) outlets on the back of the pump and 180 degrees opposite, there is the functioning outlet.
I believe the pump KTM uses is a single outlet variation of the DF52-136. The funny thing is, when you go to the Sudco site and look it up, it's the only pump they ask you to call on rather than provide a part number for a rebuild kit.
So... I suggest you call Sudco, or a Mikuni distributor in BC.

That's all I got,
C
Old 07-26-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,603
Hey Creeper,

How does this pump work, since I dont see a return line to the tank I assume it is at a very low PSI.

Are there any provisions that would allow the use of an aftermarket pump on the bike in liu of the factory one ?
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmdm8
Hey Creeper,

How does this pump work, since I dont see a return line to the tank I assume it is at a very low PSI.

Are there any provisions that would allow the use of an aftermarket pump on the bike in liu of the factory one ?
31 liters per hour is the rating for the DF52. They are not like a positive pressure electric pump where a regulator might be required.
Even a small Facet electric pump will flow 32 gallons per hour.

I found a aircraft parts house that has both Mikuni vacuum and Facet electric pumps for 1/3 to 1/4 the price KTM and other motorcycle related outlets want.
The Mikuni pumps listed (single and dual) do not appear to be direct replacements for the KTM/Mikuni pump, and might require a bit of fiddling, but for $20-$30... maybe you can afford to fiddle.

In the event my pump takes a dump... I may experiment with a small Facet and an adjustable regulator. The float needle and seat on a BST40 for an Adventure is not a standard gravity flow item, but rather made for a low pressure line, (maybe why its $40) so if you could adjust pressure down to 1-2 psi, it should work. All an edjumacated guess on my part... but I tend to like Facet electric pumps and have used them extensively in the past, on bizzarro applications better not discussed here, with good success.

That really is all I have this time... really.
C
Old 07-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,603
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
31 liters per hour is the rating for the DF52. They are not like a positive pressure electric pump where a regulator might be required.
Even a small Facet electric pump will flow 32 gallons per hour.

I found a aircraft parts house that has both Mikuni vacuum and Facet electric pumps for 1/3 to 1/4 the price KTM and other motorcycle related outlets want.
The Mikuni pumps listed (single and dual) do not appear to be direct replacements for the KTM/Mikuni pump, and might require a bit of fiddling, but for $20-$30... maybe you can afford to fiddle.

In the event my pump takes a dump... I may experiment with a small Facet and an adjustable regulator. The float needle and seat on a BST40 for an Adventure is not a standard gravity flow item, but rather made for a low pressure line, (maybe why its $40) so if you could adjust pressure down to 1-2 psi, it should work. All an edjumacated guess on my part... but I tend to like Facet electric pumps and have used them extensively in the past, on bizzarro applications better not discussed here, with good success.

C
Thanks as ususal for the Creep(y) advice.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #7
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,152
Quote:
... and have used them extensively in the past, on bizzarro applications better not discussed here, with good success.

C

Look a Chicken!!!

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:56 PM   #8
gunnerbuck OP
Island Hopper

Oddometer: 3,836
Thanks Creeper, I was looking at the Mikuni pumps and one of the double outlet pumps looks identical, could be as easy as swapping the guts or putting a 2-1 T line hookup. Now if the pump is rated at 31L/PH an output test of the pump should be about 1/4 -1/2 a litre per minute or do they use another formula? If the pumps output is below standard will the effect show all the time or only when the tank reaches a point below a gravity feed?
gunnerbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #9
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Quote:
I believe the Mikuni pump is the base model DF52. There are variations of this pump with one, two and three outlets. If you look closely at the pump, you'll see there are two unused (undrilled) outlets on the back of the pump and 180 degrees opposite, there is the functioning outlet.
I believe the pump KTM uses is a single outlet variation of the DF52-136. The funny thing is, when you go to the Sudco site and look it up, it's the only pump they ask you to call on rather than provide a part number for a rebuild kit.
So... I suggest you call Sudco, or a Mikuni distributor in BC.

That's all I got,
C
Has anyone else ever noticed that when creeper uses the phrase "I believe", he actually means, "I absolutely know for a fact"

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:45 PM   #10
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
Has anyone else ever noticed that when creeper uses the phrase "I believe", he actually means, "I absolutely know for a fact"
Some of us never get tired of the taste of sneakers... either he has or he doesn't clean up after the dog much.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #11
creeper
Still alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odysseus
I'm only slightly smarter than a rock...
Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #12
Odysseus
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
Quote:
I'm only slightly smarter than a rock...
If that is true, I hate to speculate what catagory I am in. Dumber than a cucumber?

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:34 AM   #13
Carlos M
www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer: 2,840
Nice "creepinformation" (as ususal)!

I didn't want to be without a replacement and the original diaphragm looked worn. I ended up shelling out for a complete new pump as I couldn't find a rebuilding kit.

Somehow related... I have a recurrent problem with the fuel pump that looks unrelated to the state of the diaphragm: most of the times, when the bike goes into reserve (2001 640) the pump refuses to prime after I switch the fuel manifold into reserve. I found out that I can make it prime by blowing into the tank's breathing pipe.

MotoXplorers.com
Carlos M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 04:54 AM   #14
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,803
Every day I learn a new trick.
Thanks Carlos.
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:06 AM   #15
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos M
Nice "creepinformation" (as ususal)!

I didn't want to be without a replacement and the original diaphragm looked worn. I ended up shelling out for a complete new pump as I couldn't find a rebuilding kit.

Somehow related... I have a recurrent problem with the fuel pump that looks unrelated to the state of the diaphragm: most of the times, when the bike goes into reserve (2001 640) the pump refuses to prime after I switch the fuel manifold into reserve. I found out that I can make it prime by blowing into the tank's breathing pipe.
That's alot easier than putting a priming bulb in the fuel line; thanks for the tip Carlos.