Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2006, 06:21 AM   #1
KneeKicker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,619
First GPS (i no nothing about them)

I'm looking to buy my first GPS and not wanting to spend a small fortune. I am wanting one that i can download routes from other users. but am not sure how much memory i really need to have. I have narrowed my search down to 3 Garmin GPSV, ETREX Vista, GPSMAP76c. i have found these on Ebay in my price range would these be ok for downloading routes and how much memory will i need to say download a 300-500 mile route or does that matter...any help at all will be great
KneeKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 07:53 AM   #2
Bumblebee-TGL
Nomad

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by platterdr
I'm looking to buy my first GPS and not wanting to spend a small fortune. I am wanting one that i can download routes from other users. but am not sure how much memory i really need to have. I have narrowed my search down to 3 Garmin GPSV, ETREX Vista, GPSMAP76c. i have found these on Ebay in my price range would these be ok for downloading routes and how much memory will i need to say download a 300-500 mile route or does that matter...any help at all will be great
Routes and waypoints don't take up much memory unless you get completely silly about routing.

I have an etrex legend which has 8mb and I can download topo maps that'll get me across Colorado and back plus an alternate route without running out of topo maps. I find 8mb kind of limited but it's doable though there's not much memory left over. IIRC the vista has 24mb and that should let you load maps to kingdomcome and back. 24mb would make me real happy.

My handful of marbles worth:

Get the external power cable while you're at it. Batteries eat themselves on longer roadtrips.
Go to the manufacturers site. At least with Garmin you can download the actual manual from their site and see what each unit can do.
Look around a bit before buying. When I bought mine, the legend alone was going for $200 when I blundered across a package deal that included the gps, data and power cables, carrying case, car panel mount and the US topo maps all bundled together for $170 instead of $400+ separately at the time)

Bumblebee-TGL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 08:39 AM   #3
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,601
Of those 3, the 76C is best by far. However, you are going to need to purchase Mapsource City Navigator maps too.
Are the GPS V's you looked at the "deluxe" package with City Select maps included?
Etrex Vista has no autorouting capability.
IMHO you should spring for a 76Cx or a 60Cx. The expandable memory will be invaluable.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...orcycleriders/
tbirdsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
summerinmaine
Hells Atheists MC

Oddometer: 39,732
I'm a believer in getting a starter/low price unit, to learn on and figure out if the stuff is really worth it for you, and to learn what your individual needs really are. You can usually sell it on afterwards, and recoup most of your investment (or more in some cases ).

The GPS V Deluxe is a pretty good package, cause the software separately doesn't come cheap. The V has 19MB of internal map memory, so I've loaded Baja and all of SoCal w/in 150miles into mine, with some room to spare. Unless you are off on a long trip, smaller memory works pretty well.

You don't really say what your price range is, or if you can squeeze out a bit more for latest tech/more features.

"My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests." George Santayana
summerinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 10:59 AM   #5
KneeKicker OP
Beastly Adventurer

i can get a factory reconditioned GPSV for $169- $199 on ebay. With unlock codes and a year warranty.....i think i will go this route for the money
Old 07-27-2006, 12:43 PM   #6
worthless nut
chicken striped

Oddometer: 1,415
Quote:
i can get a factory reconditioned GPSV for $169- $199 on ebay. With unlock codes and a year warranty.....i think i will go this route for the money
I bid on 5 of them in the last week. For one I bid $131.05 and the winning bid was $131.88. I ended up winning a bid on Tuesday (15:00 7/25) for $158 from the seller who offers the $169.99 Buy-it-now. It was just delivered 2 hours ago (13:30 7/27). Everything looks new, but with a 1 year warranty card.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:33 AM   #7
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,757
I'm a gps noob, and recently got a refurb'ed Street Pilot 3 with City Navigator, 12v plug, warranty, and more for $ 279.
I loaded 1/2 California, Arizona, and new MExico, plus all of Utah, Nevada, and Colorado on the 128 MG card it came with.
I'm liking it.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 08:03 PM   #8
KneeKicker OP
Beastly Adventurer

ok i found a couple more GPS possibilities Garmin Quest on Ebay with factory warranty "buy it now" for 289.95 or Street pilot III .. i like the Quest ...but if i new anything i wouldn't be asking questions
Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #9
buildit
Pumpkin Rider

Oddometer: 13,767
Quote:
ok i found a couple more GPS possibilities Garmin Quest on Ebay with factory warranty "buy it now" for 289.95 or Street pilot III .. i like the Quest ...but if i new anything i wouldn't be asking questions

For the price I just bought a Garmin gpsmap 60c with handle bar mount from tiger gps total $270. Might be worth a look