Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2006, 05:51 PM   #1
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
Ninja 650R ride/ownership report

*Really old thread alert: 30,000km update in last post*

Also, who is the young skinny bastard at the bottom of this post?

*Old thread alert. 20,000km update in last post*

Decided its time to give you folks an update on the Kawasaki Ninja 650R I purchased a few weeks ago. Yes, break in is completed, I've done a 300 mile day, and I feel compelled to share my opinions on the mount.

Following is a pictorial/editorial of my 8 hour round trip for a bacon sammich in the lakes of northern Saskatchewan. Specifically, Candle Lake, a 240 km ride from the grainbelt garage in Saskatoon.

As always, the needles sweep through their range when the bike is switched on. Starts right up -- fuel injection is a beautiful thing. Stock exhaust reverberates around the stucco hell that is my townhouse complex.
Tourmaster Cortech Mini-Magnetic mounts right up, even fully extended it is not obtrusive. Ready to rock and roll.

1.5 hrs later, I'm entering Price Albert, SK. My ass hurts, and I need sustinence. Stock seat is hard, and slopes forward enough that I frequently slide my butt back, then it rolls forward to crush my junk, then I slide back. As for the sustinence, queue Timmies!!! Raspberry filled powdered sugar donut holes. Oh yes, they are as good as they sound.

I make quick work of the last 80 km, using the plentiful power available in 6th gear to move around RV's and churchgoers. One time I downshifted to 5th at 70mph, only to be aware moments later that I am shifting into 6th at 95mph. Very pleased with the power, both roll-on and more specifically the 7-9k RPM range. Redline is 11, but its all overrun after 9ish.

Soon enough, I'm in Candle Lake, dodging potholes and riding on rutted gravel 'roads' provided by the Saskatchewan Provincial Parks. People were swimming and fishing. I just kept riding. Obligatory lake shot:

I forgot to take pics of my bacon sammich - thank doG this isn't Jo Momma. Mid-ride thoughts over lunch are
-can't fault the fueling, power, or delivery
-transmission is still snatchy, lets hope it smooths out over time
-suspension does not like frost heaved, bumpy, pothole-repaired highways. Preload is the only available adjustment, I have it on setting 3 of 6. May mess with that later.
-low speed handling is tremendous, and I think the low CG gets the credit - weight is the same as my GS500, both are parellel twins, but the 650R is much more forgiving at low speeds. I don't notice a full tank/empty tank difference w/the Kawasaki, whereas the ancient suzuki was sure to let me know.
-high speed handling is unknown, as there are no twisties. I took a few 40mph sweepers at 70+, and she was stable and composed. Not much of a test, but there is plenty of clearance, mid-corner adjustments are tolerated, and all is done with no drama.

On the road again, my ass hurts sooner this time, and I'm trying to find room for my 33" inseam legs. So I gas up in PA again. 30km later, I'm restless. Luckily there is a sweet old grain elevator, colourmatched to my bike, that I want photos of. This reminds me - dual disc brake setup is very effective. Feel isn't great, even compared to my 13 y.o. single disk suzuki, but a pad compound change may help. I think the ride reports forum has a mandatory barn clause - again, luckily this is in road warriors, as elevator /= barn.

A little over an hour later, home again. Still very pleased with my purchase, but I definitely have some fine-tuning to do before it is a comfortable all-day touring mount. Seeing as that is how it will spend about 5% of its time, I can't complain much. Commuting, cruising, flogging, and errand-running are accomplished in stock form.

One last pic, so you know to ignore this n00b and leave the reviews to the professionals.

- Mike

P.S. Just walked out to the garage. The shorty fender has got to go! dirt and whatnot all over the lower fairing and exhaust. Reminds me, aftermarket support starting to pick up, but a lot of things need to be imported from the UK. Corbin wants $700 for a seat, the available huggers are lame, and Sargent doesn't have a seat out yet. They'll likely have mine this winter for a custom fit.

Grainbelt screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 12:06 PM Reason: Updates
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:11 AM   #2
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Nice. Thanks for the review. Sounds like a great medium dasher. And you sound happy; the only test that matters.

You have a GS500 eh? When I read that it has the same 0-60 time as the 1150GS, the 500 took on a special status. Like they're cousins or something. I don’t own a 500, but the factoid is a fun conversation item.

I went and took a look at the new 650 when they hit the showrooms late last year. The engine, undercarriage exhaust, asymmetric shock, and steel tube frame caught my eye. And I figured that the frame color was one of two choices. You know, stupid red, and black.

Too bad for me though. The US models arrive with the RIDICULOUS candy apple red metallic on the frame, swing arm, shock spring, BOTH triple clamps, the fork lowers, even the handlebar mount. Like everything but the engine and bodywork were dunked in it. And no other choice but that funky red.

It is one of the most uncomfortable-on-the-eyes paint colors I've ever seen. It makes the copper-colored Rockster look downright appealing by comparison.

All may not be lost though, next year they will prolly show up with a black frame and candy red wheels. Which will make a simple wheel switch possible. But that would be too easy, so it'll likely have a barbeque black engine.

It seems more than obvious that US Kawasaki marketing is doing the best they can to sell into a higher margin. It's the American way or something. Corollas with wonky positive camber and numb steering exist only to sell Camrys. I'd buy one otherwise, but too many others would too.

Thumbs down US Kawasaki (thanks Thom) on saddling an otherwise nice little lightweight with a garish paint scheme.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 07-31-2006 at 12:48 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 AM   #3
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Good review. I sat on one at the bike show and it felt pretty good. As far as the red frame goes, I liked it. A stock seat that is comfortable is fairly rare these days - I have had to change out the seats on my last 3 bikes.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,639
Nice review and good pics!

Did you check your fuel mileage. I've been curious about what the real world mileage would be after reading the magazine tests. Rider, Motorcyclist, and Cycle World all got in the 40's while Motorcycle Consumer News got an average of 65 I know fuel mileage varys with the riding style and conditions, but a difference of 50% is huge.

BTW those mileages are all for US gallons.

Glad you like your bike. FYI, I've had 3 Corbin seats, 2 on Harley's and one on my FZ1. None of them fit perfect, but both the Harley seats (several years ago) were very comfortable and held up ok. The FZ1 seat is a major improvement over stock, but a 400 mile day left me with monkey butt, and after about 300 miles of use it developed 2 small slits in the fabric where it folds under the seat. Quality of construction has definitely gone downhill.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:15 AM   #5
ThomD
Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside

Thumbs down US Suzuki on saddling an otherwise nice little lightweight with a garish paint scheme.

- Jim
Uh, Jim. Kawasaki.

I like the red. Maybe the lighting at your dealer is weird, but the frame is more metalic burgundy than candy apple.

I get 48-51 mpg, depending on how I ride. This is consistent with the others in the 650r forum. I was getting 55-58 when I first got, but I was riding very conservativlely.

-thom
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM   #6
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,809
All of the moto mags commented on the vague feel of the brakes. Swapping out the pads supposedly makes a difference.

Have you looked at getting a Givi rack for it? I know Kawi UK offers it as a stock option. Having a hard topcase makes a world of difference in how much I can commute.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commuter Boy
All of the moto mags commented on the vague feel of the brakes. Swapping out the pads supposedly makes a difference.

Have you looked at getting a Givi rack for it? I know Kawi UK offers it as a stock option. Having a hard topcase makes a world of difference in how much I can commute.
You can get the Givi top case setup thru Twistedthrottle.com, and probably elsewhere as well. Rack is about $100 I think, plus whichever case you want to buy.

I'm thinking about either the top case or dual side cases with an SW-Motech rack. ThomD (above) has the side case setup.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
Robert_C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,703
Thanks for the review. I am glad that you included the seat issues. I put down a lot of long rides; it is just the nature of where I live.

The only thing that saved me from purchasing the 650r when it first came out was the decision, by Kawasaki, not to include the ABS on the US version. I am glad I didn't, due to being laid off. However, it is frustrating when an option is made for the bike and sold in other markets, just not this one.

Thanks for the review, I like the growth in interest that I am seeing in the middle weight street bikes. Any idea if it will run an electric vest on a consistent basis?
As a nation we still continue to enjoy a literally unprecedented prosperity; and it is probable that only reckless speculation and disregard of legitimate business methods on the part of the business world can materially mar this prosperity. -- Theodore Roosevelt, Sixth Annual Message, December 3, 1906
Robert_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_C
Thanks for the review, I like the growth in interest that I am seeing in the middle weight street bikes. Any idea if it will run an electric vest on a consistent basis?
No idea. www.ninja650.com has an accessories forum, I'd check there. One guy put in a sweeeet GPS mount.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:24 PM   #10
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,864

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomD
Uh, Jim. Kawasaki.

I like the red. Maybe the lighting at your dealer is weird, but the frame is more metalic burgundy than candy apple.
Doh! So THAT was the problem. No kidding, I stopped into a Zook store the other day to see if there might be a mid-year frame color change. There were no 650s to be seen so I asked a salesman. The guy looked at me like well, I guess about how you looked at my post. I figured they were just out of them.

I've seen them outside too Thom. 'Metallic burgundy' sounds right. And that's the issue for me. If it actually were candy apple that'd be fine. But it's candy burgundy. It's sort of like the VFR 'almost-red' color.

You guys that like your bikes, hey, I like em too. The paint color is certainly an insignificant design feature.

Does anyone know if the forks are RaceTech Gold Valve-able? Some of the newer forks have a 'fixed cartridge' that cannot be removed, or drilled out like a simple damper.

The 'excessive lever movement' portion of brake feel is easily fixed with steel-braided hose. You can actually see the OE rubber hose expand. Galfer 'green' for the brake pads. Non-metallic, super progressive, work right now, do not fade. Front metallics last about 10K on a GS for me (at least the last 4 sets did). The Galfers go about 8K.

- Jim

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation

Poolside screwed with this post 07-31-2006 at 12:36 PM
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 05:22 AM   #11
camfarm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
Paint colors are , of course, very debatable. Overall, I think Kawa nailed a winner.

Not a straight at 'em SV650 killer as much as a new niche market that had the design team focused on ergos, performance mid-range, and price to feature ratios.

I picked one up as a commuter (65 miles one way to train station) that I don't mind leaving outside semi-secured. Carries the light load and rider, feels good (I think the Parallel twin is very like a thumper below 4K rpm and very interesting above that rpm.), and handles so smoothly and lightly, that it is almost not there. Good brakes, not outstanding, but they work fine. Lighter suspension components do mitigate against excessive exhuberance.

Overall, the market to which they aimed was hit accurately.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
On the road again, my ass hurts sooner this time,
One word "AirHawk". Jodie put one on her 650R before our Montana trip and we did over 3000 kms and no complaints from her about the seat. Our last day was a long one (for us) 11 hours and the only thing that was starting to bug her were her knees. She wants me to fab up some highway pegs. She's still a cruiser girl at heart.

Great write up.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Grainbelt OP
marginal adventurer

Time to reopen this thread. Took a very dirty and rainy ride through the countryside tonight, photos and commentary are in the ride report here.

Overall its been a great bike. I've been travelling alot for work and not spending as much time out and about as I'd like, but its always ready and willing. Beats the hell of out my last girlfriend in that regard.

Here are a few of the photos from the other thread:

Cows:

Landscape

Lake

Any potential buyers with questions, let me know. Clearly, I'm not babying her. She does light dirt and highway blasting in any weather with nary a complaint. Good stuff.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:58 PM   #14
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainbelt
Any potential buyers with questions, let me know. Clearly, I'm not babying her. She does light dirt and highway blasting in any weather with nary a complaint. Good stuff.
Jodie's still happy with hers, just rode in to meet me for lunch today and we went for a nice ride. She's liking the heated grips and using her heated vest now so she's happy and warm.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 AM   #15
H2OKarensa
Free Range Chick

Oddometer: 48
heated grips you say?

After a bone chilling ride this morning on my 650R, I think I've finally decided that I need some heated grips. Contrary to popular belief, Tucson does get cold!!!
So, which grips did she choose? Ease of installation? Anything?

Thanks!!!
H2OKarensa is offline   Reply With Quote