Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #1
Salvo OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
2nd Gen. Ducati Multistrada (2013 and newer)

excerpt from Ducati
The brand new range, full of owner-inspired improvements, signals the next stage of the Multistrada journey with a longlist of fascinating and high-tech features. It includes the Multistrada 1200 with the associated Riding Mode technologies of Ride-by-Wire (R-b-W) and Ducati Traction Control (DTC) in addition to the very latest in ABS, while the Multistrada 1200 S Touring is now equipped with Ducati Skyhook Suspension (DSS), R-b-W, DTC and ABS with additional side luggage, heated grips and centre stand. The new touring flagship of the range for 2013 is the Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo with increased side luggage capacity, top case, additional LED illumination, enhanced wind protection and long-distance tires, while the enhanced Multistrada 1200 S Pikes Peak celebrates the sporting side of the model’s character with a replica of the famous 2012 mountain race bike in its stunning new race-winning livery.
Salvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
The gem of this bike is the motor, the last thing it needed was more complicated electronics and suspension trickery. They never really seem to get the last batch sorted - cue the new barrage of recalls.

And I'm not a hater, I really like my 2010 mts, but this move seems misguided and premature.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #3
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
2010 mts

I'm looking at a 2010 Multistrada 1200S Touring bike. I'm wondering how often a person actually changes the riding modes. Is it that cool of a feature to have 4 riding modes or do you just end up in the one you like best all the time (the more powerful one, I assume)?
Old 10-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
I do use the different modes, usually to give myself a horsepower time out because 150 hp in a light nimble chassis just begs to be tugged constantly and my self control is very very poor.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
dsauer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
I do use the different modes, usually to give myself a horsepower time out because 150 hp in a light nimble chassis just begs to be tugged constantly and my self control is very very poor.

Now that's funny right there...
Old 10-22-2012, 05:51 AM   #6
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Time for a new thread?

I'm glad someone has started a new thread on the Multi 12, and since the Beasts thread (there was one in Road Warriors also) on the original Multi 1200 has got most of the traffic, perhaps it is appropriate that it is started up here.

The new bikes are certainly different enough to deserve a thread on their own, IMO, even if a lot of the changes have been covered in the original thead, here (which is about to hit the 250 page mark).

A quick summary of the changes:

- redesigned cylinder heads with a second spark plug, re-angled fuel injectors and an air-bleed into the exhaust port just past the valve, which cleans up unburnt hydrocarbons and allows a richer mixture aimed at cleaning up low-rev response.

- a result of the above is said to be 10 per cent better fuel efficiency at 55mph.

- real-time computer-controlled damping by Sachs, which reads axle acceleration from sensors every 5 milliseconds and adjusts to prevent bottoming and preserve chassis attitude. Early reports on the performance are good, if qualified; serviceability and longevity yet to be specified. The performance looks good in vids (ride footage starts at 1:35):

- LED low-beam headlamp and the low beams stay on when the incandescent high-beams are selected.

- the latest Bosch ABS, which adjusts with the riding mode and links front and rear brakes.

- The GT model pictured above, plus a Pikes Peak version (below) with forged aluminium wheels and new paint:

- rear brake line routing claimed to be redesigned to avoid trapping gas, allegedly eliminating the frequent bleeding reportedly demanded by the prior incarnation.

- a much stiffer rear spring specified standard, up from 85N/mm straight wound to 85-125N/mm progressive.

- revised traction control, which controls ignition and then fuel injection.

- slightly roomier rider's seat (likely the same as introduced on the 2012 version).

- One-hand adjustable windscreen, that is also slightly taller and wider.

- hazard warning option (turns on all blinkers).

- Same riding modes (which now control ABS also), same 150hp, 5 per cent max torque boost to 125Nm.

But ...

- No more Ohlins.

- Standard (i.e. non-"S") model sticks with Marzocchi/Sachs manually adjusted fork and shock.

- White and black colour schemes abandoned for silver-grey on the S-Touring, red remains.

- still no electronic cruise control - the chief engineer said it would have been easy to do but he had no idea anybody would want it.

The redesigned cylinder heads should remove the most urgent reasons for bypassing the closed-loop fuelling with an expensive full-exhaust from Termignoni. The upgraded rear spring should support two-up riding while preserving rear ride-height and steering. Whether it all works as advertised, and keeps working, we'll find out after the production bikes are released in December. I'm hoping, while bracing for disappointment.

But I really am hoping ...

Moronic screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 06:12 AM
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post

Pikes Peak version (below) with forged aluminium wheels and new paint:

-
There is something interesting about this paint scheme. Good and bad at the same time.

And Termignoni is standard on the Pikes Peak.

Ducati invited Desmo club leaders in Italy for a ride on the 2013's. They all mentioned the motor is very fluid at low RPMs, claiming people can now ride on taller gear while on lower speeds.

Also, someone mentioned that the 5% higher torque in the motor is noticeable.

And the Skyhook, all positive comments. More than one person indicated less "feel" from the front end. One of them later talking to other riders on the group, learned that he could have adjusted compression damping (his specific complaint) to the front end to his liking.

BMW HP4 will also be released with semi-active suspension.

The particular system in the Ducati, from Sachs, is actually an "off-the-shelf" unit that has been available in cars for more than 10 years already (Maserati, Ferrari are two I've heard so far). So it is nothing new or unproven. Except that it has never been applied to motorcycles before. So it remains to be seen/experienced. The bike now does not have the Ohlins bling factor... Nor the expense that comes along with it. It would be really interesting if the Sachs system turns to be more trouble free than the Ohlins.

It is a new trend that maybe won't be as popular as ABS (and ABS has safety regulations behind it), but is likely to be prevalent on most higher end bikes in the near future.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 10-22-2012 at 08:43 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #8
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
And Termignoni is standard on the Pikes Peak.

Lion
The Termi is just the slip-on, which does nothing at all - same ECU and all the muffling is under the motor.

But likely all that is needed.

Thanks for reporting the club-rider comments. Sounds promising.

Yes, would be nice if the Skyook proved durable. Time will tell - when it is too late for most of us.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 AM   #9
Sock Monkey
Banned

Oddometer: 2,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Yes, would be nice if the Skyhook proved durable. Time will tell - when it is too late for most of us.
Not only durable, but I'm VERY interested to hear how it compares to the Ohlins in actual performance. SACHS has never been the first choice for aftermarket suspension, where Ohlins pretty much owns that space. I'm dubious "semi-active" suspension components will change that, but it will be interesting to hear what real riders say once these come out.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
Not only durable, but I'm VERY interested to hear how it compares to the Ohlins in actual performance. SACHS has never been the first choice for aftermarket suspension, where Ohlins pretty much owns that space. I'm dubious "semi-active" suspension components will change that, but it will be interesting to hear what real riders say once these come out.

-SM
Two bits of information, from an interview with the head of design for the 2013 Multistrada: 1) he mentioned Ohlins did not offer a progressive spring. Apparently this system uses a progressive spring. 2) The Sachs with the Skyhook (I like how a few Italians in the Multistrada Forum refer to it as GancioCielo, same thing but in Italian, sounds more primitive that way, hey I'm Italian, I can say that :-) ) is less expensive than the Ohlins setup on the 2010-12 Multis.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #11
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,227
Tuneboy has CC up on his site for the Multi12, he deserves the money since the factory sees no need.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:24 AM   #12
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,443
I like the switchable ride modes on my Multi, but I'm not sure how I feel about compression and rebound changing in real time based on what the bike thinks I need.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 728
The new suspension may be "great", but I suspect this was more of an accounting move for ducati than actually trying to improve the performance of the bike.

I think the ohlins are great. maybe thats because I weigh about 160lbs, or I just don't know any better, but if they are going to improve on the ohlins setup these new Sachs must be phenomenal.
Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #14
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post

-SM
It sounds like a great idea but as you mention lets see how it fairs with the Sachs hardware which is no comparison to Ohlins. My first impression is that I'd probably take Ohlins ESA over Sachs sky hook. For my riding the skyhook sounds overkill and the ride of the Ohlins ESA is pretty awesome.
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
oalvarez
Resident Raggamuffin

Oddometer: 2,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephvman View Post
I like the switchable ride modes on my Multi, but I'm not sure how I feel about compression and rebound changing in real time based on what the bike thinks I need.
agree completely....the rider from MCN believed it to be more "touring like" in nature. will be interesting to hear what others will have to say.
oalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote