User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #136
HuskyGrif
n00b

Oddometer: 3
06 TE 610 Trip Report

Just in case any one is interested. I just got back from a 1000mi. off road trip on the TE 610. The guys I went with posted everything at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169640. Includes a good shot of the bike crossing the Owyhee River.

The bike performed perfectly. No complaints with the bike except not having a skid plate or a big enough tank. All of the subframe bolts rattled out. I added heated grips and a Leo Vince pipe. Everything else was stock. I rode with a KTM 640 and 950 Adventure. I felt I had the best bike for the trip.

Does anyone know where to find a more complete manual, especially in regard to the trip computer? There is all kinds of functionality with no information. Does anyone know how to get rid of the "change oil" light?
HuskyGrif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:37 PM   #137
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyGrif
Just in case any one is interested. I just got back from a 1000mi. off road trip on the TE 610. The guys I went with posted everything at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169640. Includes a good shot of the bike crossing the Owyhee River.

The bike performed perfectly. No complaints with the bike except not having a skid plate or a big enough tank. All of the subframe bolts rattled out. I added heated grips and a Leo Vince pipe. Everything else was stock. I rode with a KTM 640 and 950 Adventure. I felt I had the best bike for the trip.

Does anyone know where to find a more complete manual, especially in regard to the trip computer? There is all kinds of functionality with no information. Does anyone know how to get rid of the "change oil" light?
great report man - looks like you had great friends for the trip. nicely done.

did you download the manual mentioned in this thread?

glad to see that the husky survived. did you do any kind of air filter clean during your trip? seems like you guys went through quite a bit of dust/silt.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 PM   #138
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=330436

There are some other good threads in the index as well:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...43#post3057043

Welcome to the group and I must say that ride report is one hell of an entrance .

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM   #139
HuskyGrif
n00b

Thanks Brian for the link to the service manual. It does not explain my issue exactly but there is a ton of info that will certainly come in handy.

Took the air filter out several times to clean it. Being from the 2 stroke world I am more than sensitive to air flow issues. After the 24" powder explosion I actually took the air filter out and dunked it in the Whitehorse hotspring. One day we encountered a long stretch of deep rutted double track with 4-5 foot high sage brush. It took the front 6-8 inches of the radiator scoop off each side. That night I checked the filter. The Twin Air filter was good, but the screen behind it had a significant amount of sage and needles on it. I assume things might have migrated beyond that but the bike has been running great.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #140
HuskyGrif
n00b

Dan, you're the man. The thumpertalk link was freaking classic. I love the "interpretation" sections. Glad to know I was not the only person scratching my head trying to figure out how to the interpret the interpreter. Answers all of my computer questions.

By the way, where did you score the sweet rack on yours? As you might have seen from the pics, I ran a set of my golden retriever's dog bags under the seat. I took an old piece of pipe ducting folded over to keep them from buring on the pipe. Looks like your rack would eliminate that problem.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:54 PM   #141
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

The rack is from Promotobillet http://www.promotobillet.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=120

I opted not to go with the pannier protectors and am waiting oh so patiently for Moto-sport to release thier Dirtbags http://www.moto-sportpanniers.com/dirtbagz/specs.htm

They should have the mounts done soon.

Dan
Old 10-04-2006, 06:42 AM   #142
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Throttle Cam

Thanks buffallodan for putting all this great info together.

The stock TE610 carb comes with a blank leak jet on the accelerator pump, i.e. the leak jet is closed off and any imperceptible bump of the throttle results in the accelerator pump squirting fuel into the carb. That results in the bike lurching forward and becomes really annoying when stuck in first gear on a tight trail.

I tried to tune that out by modifying the throttle cam, that partially works but the real fix is to put a leak jet on the accelerator pump IMO. There is an excellent discussion by Clark Mason over at Thumpertalk on all of the different methods to tune the accelerator pump and after reading that I became convinced the leak jet is the best way.

The leak jet bleeds a small amount of the accelerator pump fuel shot back into the carburetor bowl. So when you whack the throttle open some of the fuel goes through the leak jet and the rest into the carburetor. Changing leak jet size allows you to tune the pump shot duration.

The other thing the leak jet does is bleed off small little bumps on the accelerator pump. So when you are rattling along a rough trail and bumping the throttle 1/32 of a turn or less the fuel takes the path of least resistance through the leak jet instead of the longer path into the carburetor port. Works for me anyway.

I tried the 60 jet TE510 riders were recommending and thought that was a little to big for the TE610 with stock jetting. I have been using a 50 jet for several months now and am pretty happy but I am looking forward to some feed back from the real tuners here.

SUDCO P/N 019-750 $8.80 US

Xfool screwed with this post 10-04-2006 at 06:50 AM
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:26 PM   #143
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the compliments Xfool,

What is your current jetting and environment? Also have you gone with AM exaust or other mods? TIA

Dan

Throttle cam:
I was getting bad lurching on tight trails and didn't want to rejet until I decided on whether or not to get an exaust. Not sure if jetting needs to be changed when keeping stock exaust...
Old 10-04-2006, 05:32 PM   #144
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Damping changes...

Well my bike had been really harsh on the trails and I finally attempted to experiment with the damping. I decreased compression damping front and rear and increased rebound damping and I must say there was a huge improvement. I could still need lighterer springs but will wait and see how the damping has improved the bike on the trail next time out...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:04 AM   #145
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Jetting

Hey buffallodan: Did you back off the high speed damping on the rear shock a couple of clicks? That makes a huge difference in my bikes ride. My suspension packs if I go much above the stock rebound settings, watch out for that. Check out this mx-tech guide for some tips on setting the clickers….

Current jetting: Stock jets, stock needle, stock clip position, stock air box, stock exhaust. BTW the exhaust does not have a California USFS stamp on it which can get you harassed by rangers here.

Mods: Fuel screw 1/8 turn out, 50 leak jet. Considering a longer fuel screw to allow adjustments on the trail.

Environment: 25 to 110 degrees, sea level to 9,000 ft, bone dry to thick fog. It’s a dual sport and has to run everywhere!!!! High altitude requires some cranking on the idle screw. A little lean at sea level, fat at altitude….. just about right IMO.

Xfool screwed with this post 10-05-2006 at 05:09 AM
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:11 AM   #146
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,642
WOW... I just KNEW there was a reason to lurk on this thread. I'm in New B and that is a great tip! thx
z

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrr1150gs
AF1 Racing, in New Braunfels, Texas is who you need to see. They do all kind of tuning for race bikes. They have experience with the Husqvarnas too. They created a custom mapping form my Aprilia. Very experienced Dyno guys.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 05:38 AM   #147
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,642
can someone summarize for me the diffs between the SM and TE 610 models? i see the obvious: paint and wheels.... what else?

z
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #148
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Hoder tell us how you plan to form the Cyrca's as I put them in a vise and couldn't get them to move...Dan
I'm still waiting on the bar ends but they were pretty easy to bend. Maybe yours are better aluminum than mine or I'm just

I just did another awsome ride last weekend (431 miles with about 300 off road) & don't have all the pics up yet but you can see the report here.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170897
Once again the Husky proved to be the best bike for the job

On another note, I was at REI the other day & saw they had some really nice bicycle panniers. Waterproof, clip on & off, $150 a set. I thought to myself Hmmm......... All I need to do is buy a bike rack & have someone widen it & attach it to the rear rack. I already have a set of panniers I've never used for my Schwinn touring bike. I post some pics when I get it done & give 'em the power line test. Here's the Novara bags and a link to about a bazillion more: http://www.mikebentley.com/bike/panniers.htm
Attached Images

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 10-05-2006 at 12:27 PM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:53 PM   #149
louie rides a 640 ad
captain spaulding

Oddometer: 14
just a quick pic of my husky 610 in super-moto trim.its onlt kick start and its one b#### to start.but once she starts,you gotta hold on tight
louie rides a 640 ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #150
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie rides a 640 ad
just a quick pic of my husky 610 in super-moto trim.its onlt kick start and its one b#### to start.but once she starts,you gotta hold on tight
It's too quick to see, can you make it a little less quick

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote