Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM   #1606
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkolay
Hey Dan, I looks like I need to replace my MT90 AT's at the end of my 3000 miles, how far have yours taken you?
I think tire pressure makes the difference...what psi did you run?
I have less than 1,000 miles on em at this point...I have been running ED78R and MT21F recently but got frustrated with the MT21 cupping. It was my fault they cupped however as I didn't check my tire pressures and ran them too hard on the twisties ...hence back to the MT90's hoping they can take more abuse .

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #1607
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
Additional impressions…now we are at about 350 miles

Engine seems to be running a bit better all the time. After a JD kit and some tinkering, jetting is close. Wheelie power is always of interest so here goes: 1st it really yanks it up, 2nd will do a nice floating power wheelie or up to balance point with bar input and throttle cracking, 3rd won’t power wheelie but will come up some with throttle/bar. Haven’t clutched it up yet. This is a huge change from stock…stock would come up in 1st with some coaxing and felt like there was a 100 lb weight strapped to the front wheel in any other gear. Honestly, if I would have test ridden this bike in stock condition before paying, I may have gone home without a bike. Exhaust, jetting and break in make THAT much difference.

Took the bike off road. Motor is a real monster with a super wide usable power range. Very smooth and refined feeling compared to my XRL. No problems killing the engine, even in tight trails…and even if I did, there’s always “the button”. Nice low 1st gear…this bike will happily go 7 mph with the clutch out, which is around 2000 rpm or just below, and take off like a rocket from there. On paper, the transmission is very wide ratio, but they don’t seem that wide to me, they seem perfect…this is probably an illustration of the wide power range of the engine . Based on this, I think the 510’s much closer ratios would be tough to make work well for true dual sporting. It is possible to not quite find neutral from first, and have the “N” light on but you are still in 1st. Maybe there’s adjustment for this? Stock Karoo tires are of course a real compromise off road, front tire pushes bad in sand, mud or loam. Actually on the road, the Karoos are surprisingly good, pavement or gravel roads. Would love to try this bike off road with “real” knobbies! Suspension is very capable for jumps and whoops. I have the compression clickers full out and still no problem with bottoming, and I actually jumped a few tabletops, went too far and flat landed. If anything, suspension feels stiff front and rear on HSC, but isn’t broken in yet. Springs are stiff for my weight, but may be usable. Stock fuel tank 3.5 gallons, not sure of range yet but will probably be sufficient for what I do. 150 miles? Developed the petcock leak around the wire (barely damp), I JB welded it and no problems since. Stock kickstand is too short, this is easily fixed with a $10 bill and a short section of thin walled pipe at your local welding shop. Brakes are super nice, makes some of my other bikes feel like they have drum brakes by comparison. Stock handlebars are thick wall aluminum and pretty tough (don’t ask how I know). Handling is great, this is a tall bike and not a light bike but that being said it makes you want to turn, especially on pavement or dirt roads. Not twitchy even with forks moved up in clamps…at least for my purposes, I can’t imagine wanting a steering dampener. Stock headlight is usable and not the weakest I’ve seen but you will want to upgrade if you ride at night much.

My overall impression: I love this bike…and more every time I ride it. It will jump without a whimper, climb any hill you can point it at, and then go back on the interstate and take you home, without feeling like you are wringing the snot out of it. There are some fidgety little details needing attention, that are all part of the “tinkering” fun for me. That being said, I don’t know if I would recommend this bike for someone with no mechanical skills/knowledge/experience. I think once sorted out and set up for your preferences, the 610 will be low maintenance…actually lower than more race oriented bikes like the 525exc or TE510.

One more thing: with an empty fuel tank but otherwise ready to ride, the bike is 310 lbs.

motometal screwed with this post 09-04-2007 at 01:09 PM
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:40 PM   #1608
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Well, the UFO Ray headlight was an abject failure. The problem? No way to adjust the beam height. It afforded me a splendid view of my front fender, but not much else.

Does the Buell setup have any adjustment for height? What about the Baja Design? If not, I guess I'll try to get an SM610 headlight assembly.

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 05:42 PM   #1609
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
Well, the UFO Ray headlight was an abject failure. The problem? No way to adjust the beam height. It afforded me a splendid view of my front fender, but not much else.

Does the Buell setup have any adjustment for height? What about the Baja Design? If not, I guess I'll try to get an SM610 headlight assembly.

Cheers,
Tom
The Baja Design light allows for adjustability...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM   #1610
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Go here: http://cjquinn.com/bandit/bandit.htm and see that the Buell light is held by two upper tabs and adjusted by a tab slotted fore and aft to allow bottom to be moved back and forth.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #1611
TXTE610HuskyRider
HuskyNewbie

Oddometer: 1
Laugh My Ride.

I really love riding my Motorcycle. I live in San Antonio, but I own property in Uvalde County. I ride from SA to my place on the Nueces. 160 Acres and a five mile dirt road to get to it. the TE610 is great on the hwy and on the dirt. Sure beats having to drive my pick up. It is great on the hwy and on the back roads. 92 miles one way to get there and 92 back well worth the ride once I am on my place. Later. Joe
Attached Images

TXTE610HuskyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:50 PM   #1612
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
Did you get it wired up & check the beam on a wall or just put it on & look at it? When I first looked at mine I thought the same thing but the beam's in the right spot. It's actually wider than the picture shows & has a nice flat cutoff so it doesn't light up rain or dust.
Attached Images

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:28 PM   #1613
ag1s
nihilist

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
I thought I saw in the book that 112 was standard. In any case, there is plenty of room if you want to remove a link. The axle would end up forwards exactly the distance between two pins, with is about .625".

This is an oring chain and after initial adjustment, it isn't going to move much...so if you don't remove a link it isn't like you'll be running out of adjustment room soon.

removing a link would give you about .625" shorter wheelbase...

Exactually, exactly the half of it!
ag1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:36 AM   #1614
motometal
i like motorcycles

???

lengthened my kickstand yesterday. Much better, now I can put away all those chunks of 2 x 4 I have laying around
Old 09-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #1615
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Hoder, after reading your post I decided to give the UFO Ray one more try. In doing so, I realized I had it wired wrong, but evidently no harm done. I'll ride it home tonight from work and see if it's pointing high enough.

The combination of Pastrana bars and Fastway pegs makes the bike much more comfortable when standing. So far the clutch cable seems okay, but I've got a Barnett on order.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #1616
BigAls
oldinidaho

Oddometer: 167
extra fuel

Kolpin fuel container mounted to a flat plate which is bolted to the Pro Moto Billet Rack. Hold 1.3 gallons, and leaves room for a small trunk bag. Same setup would work on the standard Husky rack.
Attached Images

BigAls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:35 PM   #1617
motometal
i like motorcycles

what's the deal on the bars, compared to the stockers? The stockers seem relatively tall compared to what i'm used to...not uncomfortably so, though. With the thick wall, I'm wondering how much weight savings is possible with aftermarket bars?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:38 PM   #1618
BigAls
oldinidaho

Oddometer: 167
fuel tank

Here is the container attached to it's Kolpin base. I added a thick rubber gasket between the mount base and the container just to be sure. This setup had over 300 off-road miles on it and works great. Kolpin also has a larger capacity container that is 3 gallons.
This setup has extended my range to about 160 miles.
Attached Images

BigAls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 03:47 PM   #1619
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by abanta
Here is the container attached to it's Kolpin base. I added a thick rubber gasket between the mount base and the container just to be sure. This setup had over 300 off-road miles on it and works great. Kolpin also has a larger capacity container that is 3 gallons.
This setup has extended my range to about 160 miles.
The one I have created is very similar, has the newer style tank (slightly larger, thicker for sure) with the same or similar hold down device.

For those needing lots of gas, Kolpin had a set of saddle bags (snowmobile I think) that held two of the style tank Abanta has to throw over the seat or attach to dirtbagz metal frames.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 04:19 PM   #1620
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Motometal,

I think the Pastranas are about 1" taller than the stockers, and coupled with the Scott's risers (not the sub-mount) and the lower Fastway pegs, it lets my 6'4" frame not have to be hunched over to reach the bars when standing

Cheers,
Tom