Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #16591
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Yeah, it's one thing keeping me away from the FI bikes. Plus mine doesn't use any oil at all, has been ultra-reliable, etc., etc.

OTOH, I *hear* FI bikes get about the same miles/tank I do with my 5 gallon tank when ridden similarly. I don't believe it 'cause I haven't seen it, but...

I get about 180 miles before i'm in trouble, sometimes less. Surprisingly, about what I get on the K-S.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #16592
oregonsage
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,037
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur
Yeah, it's one thing keeping me away from the FI bikes. Plus mine doesn't use any oil at all, has been ultra-reliable, etc., etc.

OTOH, I *hear* FI bikes get about the same miles/tank I do with my 5 gallon tank when ridden similarly. I don't believe it 'cause I haven't seen it, but...

I get about 180 miles before i'm in trouble, sometimes less. Surprisingly, about what I get on the K-S.
I did 120 miles on 1.8 gallons the other day, but most of it was gentle gravel road stuff with a fairly slow group.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:10 PM   #16593
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by edeslaur

I've never touched more than 115 before the low fuel light comes on. Mine is uncorked and tuned right also. I rarely ride gently though. I will try next ride out on leisure gravel and see. 100 is my limit until I get a seat.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #16594
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30Bones
I've never touched more than 115 before the low fuel light comes on. Mine is uncorked and tuned right also. I rarely ride gently though. I will try next ride out on leisure gravel and see. 100 is my limit until I get a seat.
I can eke 155 out of a full tank, even with semi-aggressive riding. The bike is uncorked and has the Leo Vince. I might move to an aftermarket filler cap to get another liter or so in the tank.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:32 PM   #16595
oregonsage
Beastly Adventurer

Im running the stock pipe and sensor still. I have heard that doing the power up will cause an mpg hit. If I want mo horsepower I have a K1200RS for that
Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #16596
miketv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
I could get about 120 - 130 out of a stock tank on my 06 model. I tend to be a bit on the heavy side of the throttle though as it's uncorked and re-jetted.
miketv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:45 PM   #16597
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperX
Thx for that xymotic
What you say is that it will be dificult to have a lot of weight hanging out by the subframe?
Is any one has use the TE610 for long trips? with panniers? and if the pelican or aluminium are to heavy would canvas would be any better?
Thx guys
M
What I'm saying is that the rear subframe is designed to hold the fender, and that's it. A lot of us have used the 610 for long trips. On a recent trip from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas, I had about 15# on the rack, and the result was:

All of the weight on the rear rack is supported by two Aluminum welds that are 3/4" x 1/4" or less.

Now, of course other people have had other results. On Mine I had the gas way back, adding leverage to the subframe. Others have had a ton of weight back there with no problems. Course it also depends how you ride, we were going fast on this ride over a ton of washboard. On this ride we had TWO frames break, each with 15# or less on them. More or less weight, more or less jumping, and you might be fine or you might break it in 20 miles...

To me it's not worth the risk to lose it on a trip. Get a giantloop coyote, and if you can't fit it in there don't take it
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #16598
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketv
I could get about 120 - 130 out of a stock tank on my 06 model. I tend to be a bit on the heavy side of the throttle though as it's uncorked and re-jetted.
I'm exactly the same on a 08 EFI.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 PM   #16599
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Hey Mike, when R we gonna see some pix of the 610 in Moab
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 04-26-2010, 06:21 PM   #16600
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Y'all are probably sick of seeing this pic but for the noob's they need to know that it can be done. Xymotic has been a trail-blazer in finding subframe weaknesses. Lots of high-g force hits at speed can kill the subframe with a bunch of weight on it (just making a point, not pointing fingers). I rode with a guy last year that broke a Happy Trails pannier rack (they are built like a battle ship) but I also noticed that he indiscriminately hit everything on the trail and made no attempt to avoid the big hits, even at speed. It's kind of like not getting a flat; if you're bashing into sharp edged rocks all day and not trying to avoid obvious trouble, a flat is in your future. Not to say you have to baby our bikes but you do have to ride with discretion and not just bash over everything in sight. It's the price we have to pay for riding these bikes off-road with weight on the tail. I rode 3000 miles off-road with the set-up below with no probs.

spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:19 PM   #16601
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
Y'all are probably sick of seeing this pic but for the noob's they need to know that it can be done. Xymotic has been a trail-blazer in finding subframe weaknesses. Lots of high-g force hits at speed can kill the subframe with a bunch of weight on it (just making a point, not pointing fingers). I rode with a guy last year that broke a Happy Trails pannier rack (they are built like a battle ship) but I also noticed that he indiscriminately hit everything on the trail and made no attempt to avoid the big hits, even at speed. It's kind of like not getting a flat; if you're bashing into sharp edged rocks all day and not trying to avoid obvious trouble, a flat is in your future. Not to say you have to baby our bikes but you do have to ride with discretion and not just bash over everything in sight. It's the price we have to pay for riding these bikes off-road with weight on the tail. I rode 3000 miles off-road with the set-up below with no probs.

LOL,

It's hard not to take it personally, but you are absolutely right that how you ride makes a HUGE diff.

Looking at that road, I could ride 3k on that with no problem. I was airborne a few times, I had a 50 MPH get off where I nearly endo'd, and I like to wheelie, a LOT My fork seals are leaking, but I'm not exactly calling them defective...

That being said, I won't recommend that packing the tail is advisable. There have been more than a few failures, and if you just look at how the thing is built, all of the weight on the back foot of the bike is supported by two small pieces of alminium that are 3/4" wide. And not for nothing, but the tail itself weighs far more than I bet most of us realize.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 04-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #16602
30Bones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,625
How do you guys keep your bike on the stand with all that gear on it. Mine wants to tip over even on hard packed dirt with a half empty coyote bag. You get it to set, and can lightly touch it and it will start to tip. I know the stand is a joke, but I refuse to put a center stand on a bike like this. Not a chance.
30Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM   #16603
oregonsage
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
How do you guys keep your bike on the stand with all that gear on it. Mine wants to tip over even on hard packed dirt with a half empty coyote bag. You get it to set, and can lightly touch it and it will start to tip. I know the stand is a joke, but I refuse to put a center stand on a bike like this. Not a chance.
There is a guy just to the right, out of the picture. He is holding the fishing line that keeps it upright.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:33 PM   #16604
BigAls
oldinidaho

Oddometer: 167
center stand

Have a look at cigarmikesblogspot, you might change your mind about a center stand..
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM   #16605
LRPct
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 489
Quote:
Are talking about because of how short the sidestand is?? If so, do like alot of us have done, including me, bring it to a local welder and spend 10-20 $$ to make it a lil longer.. probally a lil over an inch. Just remember to have them do it below where the spring attaches, unless you wanna do like I did and and look for the perfect new spring at the hardware store. Still not that much of a biggie though. I think he added about an inch and 3/4 on mine, and now it's alil on the tall side.. LOL. My fault, I didn't spend much time measuring. Before at the stock too short length I was always looking for rising ground to put it on so it didn't look like it was gonna tip over on itself, and now I'm always looking for PERFECTLY flat ground, or even a sloping spot so it doesn't wanna tip to the opposite side of the stand. LOL...
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote