Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007, 05:52 PM   #1651
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Motometal...sure as heck have that light hooked up. I didn't notice the flashing gas pump on the main display,,,but the light caught my eye. I would been pushing it like Jambie. I think I'll be using my rack mounted tank sooner rather than later! I'm used to my XR Honda with big tank....having to look for gas at 200 miles...not 110 like this thing.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #1652
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford
Motometal...sure as heck have that light hooked up. I didn't notice the flashing gas pump on the main display,,,but the light caught my eye. I would been pushing it like Jambie. I think I'll be using my rack mounted tank sooner rather than later! I'm used to my XR Honda with big tank....having to look for gas at 200 miles...not 110 like this thing.
how many miles left when the light comes on? about
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #1653
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Manual says once light goes on (118 mi in my case) you have 3 L remaining, there's 3.78 L/gallon...do the math at 42mpg (my average FE to date), leaves 33 miles left. 33 + 118 = 151 miles. Mark Sampson says the tank is dry at 150. Just goes to show the tank is kinda skimpy. My XR400R honda does over 50, my BMW F650 easily does 60+. This is all 55 mph most of the time...no hot dogging. Run over 60 and I'm sure mpg drops below 40. Will be real interesting to see what kinda fuel economy the 2007 european EFI models get...supposedly the 2008 US model is EFI. My F650 Wee Strom 650 (fuel injection) gets way better FE than the Husky...but the Husky has lots of breaking in to do.
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #1654
motometal
i like motorcycles

two of the times i've had my tank off for jetting, it's been so low I could barely get any gas to slosh around...."almost ran out" doesn't count though lol
Old 09-10-2007, 07:39 PM   #1655
motometal
i like motorcycles

Here’s the report from the weekend, as I rode the bike quite a bit. I am also posting on TT, since I haven't contributed much about the Husky so far.

...So the "tweakage" on the jetting continues…I've found that richer on the needle (such as red 6) encourages the 4000-5000 rpm stumble, but it has more response and power in the midrange this way. Went back to 42 pilot, 45 was too rich, maybe I can lean the pilot circuit to remove stumble without creating any negative side effects. Jetting is close, bike runs like a champ otherwise.

Spent part of the weekend riding the bike on a small MX track, and woods riding. This thing will do a tall 50’ tabletop in its sleep! Lowered tire pressure to 15 front, 14 rear…much better than previous 18/18 I ran last time. Karoos still not great, but workable. Suspension is breaking in a bit, working my way up on the compression clickers (rear outer ring (HSCD) still at full soft though). Suspension still needs some sorting out, but has real potential. Will check into softer spring to match my weight. Gearbox initially felt notchy, is now very smooth like butter, and ratios are absolutely perfect!

Prior to meeting my good friend “The Mudskipper” at our local riding area, he was surprised to hear I was to be riding the Husky, instead of my trusty CR250. The CR is set up with a ported motor and heavy flywheel, and works very well in the woods. He asked if I was going to be able to ride the Husky like I normally do on the CR. My answer was something like “of course not but it will be fun anyway”. So these are not super tight woods, but on the Husky mostly second gear and a lot of tight turns, on moist tacky dirt with some muddy stretches thrown in for good measure. At first I was having fun but felt very clumsy, I’m used to a real cut and thrust style, with brake sliding into some of the corners and clutching my way through and out of the corner as needed. I am not an experienced four stroke rider. So at first, I’d haul ass into the corner and then do sort of a “oh crap, now what” due to my totally backwards technique. After about an hour of frustration and mediocre riding, it clicked…brake early, then meter throttle through the corner…powerslide/flattrack style for extra points, and go from there. Some of the corners have little berms, and I was able to use the throttle to slide the rear tire out into the berm, then really nail it from there. I still couldn’t ride like I can on my CR (of course) but the fun factor was definitely there and I must say I surprised myself on what the bike could do, and what I could do on the bike. Wheelied over a few logs/rocks and climbed a few hills. This motor laughs at hills..the motor says “what hill”! Speaking of the motor…what a work of art. It could go flat after 5000 rpm and still be pretty good just on the merit of low end and midrange alone…but there’s a whole other world of power to explore if you rev it up! There’s so much torque down low, there’s really no need to rev it in the woods except if there’s a corner coming up and you want to save a shift. You can honk on the throttle at 2000 rpm (which is a fast idle) and it just barks…the handlebars yanking on your arms with every power stroke. By the way, whoever picked the weight for the flywheel was a genius…the perfect balance of tractability and throttle response/revvability (is that a word?). Even in 2nd gear, at least with the Karoo rear tire, it isn’t exactly yanking the front end up from corner to corner like my two strokes would…but it’s accelerating like crazy. That being said, on a long straight in 3rd gear at mid rpms, with a tug on the bars and a twist of the throttle, it comes right up to the balance point, no clutching required.

I’ve posted about a few nagging details on the bike…and to be honest I had a bit of buyer’s remorse early on, before setting the bike up (well, it’s still not there yet but closer) and uncorking. So I thought it was only fair to share the positives as well! I love the bike now, although of course parts of the riding experience are difficult to put to words. We are fortunate to have technology to produce a bike that will work that well over hard-core off road terrain, then roll right out onto the road and if needed, drone down the interstate for an hour or two for the ride home.
Old 09-10-2007, 07:40 PM   #1656
jambie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
By the way, my tank ran dry after 143 miles of a sub-5500 rpm combination of city and two lane highway riding.

Still breaking it in. Speaking of that, the break-in service is at 600 miles, but the owners manual says not to exceed 5500 r's until 1500km - approx 950 miles.

I'm not sure I'll be able to resist once the 600 mi. service is done...

Cheers,
Tom
jambie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 12:35 AM   #1657
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambie
By the way, my tank ran dry after 143 miles of a sub-5500 rpm combination of city and two lane highway riding.

Still breaking it in. Speaking of that, the break-in service is at 600 miles, but the owners manual says not to exceed 5500 r's until 1500km - approx 950 miles.

I'm not sure I'll be able to resist once the 600 mi. service is done...

Cheers,
Tom
Don't worry about it. If you wanna be safe, just don't drone down the freeway for ever at the same rpms and not necessary but a habit I got into a long time ago is to change the oil at least twice as often as recommended for the first few thousand miles. I dunno if it helps but it can't hurt.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 01:17 PM   #1658
flan8tive
Flea Tibet!

Oddometer: 2,188
Hope linking to a Flea Market ad is ok--I figured there might be some guys who would want to know about a cheap Husky FS in Florida...anybody else lining up for the 08 EFI?

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265410

80 Z50R

flan8tive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM   #1659
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus
These are off of the Surdyke site:
Shopping Cart Items Qty. Price
HEADLIGHT GRILLE - $32.71 remove
WINDSCREEN KIT W/DECAL, MIDNIGHT BLACK - . $49.00 remove
HDLIGHT ASSY. RH TRAFFIC - . $46.80 remove
MOUNT, HEADLAMP - . $18.84 remove
Total: $147.35
no happy ending

I ordered these parts from the Surdyke site and snickered to myself that I beat the street. until today when I received this notice when Iwent to check my account:
==============
Part #YO421.1AD is no longer available, it superceds to YO421.1ADA which is more expensive, your card will be refunded $46.80 Your part(s) are scheduled to ship 09/13/2007.
==============
seems like Buell marketing caught on to us, huh? I emailed them back and asked them to send the superseded part and charge my card the difference. oh well...

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #1660
XRR-kat
Prodigal Scrambler

Oddometer: 354
Part #YO421.1AD has been superceded by YO421.1ADA

Been there ....

New part no. is YO421.1ADA and new price is $64.32 !

XRR-kat screwed with this post 09-12-2007 at 01:17 PM
XRR-kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #1661
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
Well, at least you are getting the lights. When you put it all together, it would be great if you posted detailed installation steps for those of us that need that kind of detailed direction
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:09 PM   #1662
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,472
Laugh The round alternative

of course ZERO for wind protection, but I like the look.

It's the Baja Designs 8" Racelight . . . . . Not exactly DOT approved but it works for me.

I just love round headlights.

Now I really need to lengthen that stubby kickstand!!!!!!

Hope this photo attachment works . . . . .
Attached Images

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #1663
motometal
i like motorcycles

I extended mine, cut it near the (foot) end, inserted a pc. of tubing that fit snugly inside then tig welded back together. Mine is 1.25" longer than stock, and this ended up being just right for length.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:04 PM   #1664
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRR-kat
Been there ....

New part no. is YO421.1ADA and new price is $64.32 !
yeah, well now the damn site says the part #'s - neither of them - are found in their search.

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #1665
wingnut99
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Looking for a little help here! I'm taking my 610 down to prerun the 1000 and I swore I wouldn't go down again with out a steering dampener. I've been told Scott's make one for the 610 but I don't see the post fitting between the gas tank and the head stay! Does anyone out there have one? If so, how did you do it? Trim the front of the tank mount maybe? Help please!

Name:  MC3 004.JPG
Views: 1070
Size:  93.3 KB
wingnut99 is offline   Reply With Quote