Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #17071
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
On the '08+ bikes the cable for the choke/fast idle lever thingamajig is pretty short. I have HDB risers that are about 1.75 and it's about maxed.

Should be getting new Scotts undermount from HDB in a couple days
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #17072
BiggieFalls
b00b

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
It's not as unusual as you might think. That's why no one noticed.
BiggieFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 11:42 PM   #17073
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
I'm guessing you lost a peg, Todd. I guess the only question was it at the beginning, middle or end of a multi-day trip to Utah? Assuming you didn't go home, what was your MacGyver fix?
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #17074
icebergstu
Husqvarna Tragic

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeSDP
I'm guessing you lost a peg, Todd. I guess the only question was it at the beginning, middle or end of a multi-day trip to Utah? Assuming you didn't go home, what was your MacGyver fix?
Ive broken 6 footpegs on my 610..... until I worked out you have to grind your frame mount flat. Never happened since.

Stu

icebergstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #17075
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeSDP
Footpeg is right guys. I had to weld the right one on my last frame before it was replaced.

Steve, this one broke at the end of the second to last day. So I did not miss much quality ride time.

Here is a picture of the used motorcycle parts lot I got my spare from.

And here are two shots of the fix that made it road worthy for the 150 miles I needed to do the next day.

I think I will get stronger bolts again and flatten the frame with a grinder if I can get the old bolt out cleanly.
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #17076
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

very nice macguyvering job!

heck, it's even kinda patriotic for memorial day
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #17077
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic
very nice macguyvering job!

heck, it's even kinda patriotic for memorial day
Funny, I thought the same thing!
toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #17078
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
The garnish is a nice touch as well!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #17079
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Oddometer: 820
Ohhh my, what did I do?

So I had a KLR, never really liked it all that much, had family issues going on etc, sold it. Regretted not having a bike for a couple years now....the usual.

Started getting the bug again...badly.

Looked at the TE630, but it is a pricey bastard right now, and I certainly didn't need the added power it has. These are five times the bike that I am a rider.

Then I saw this...and it sang to me.

2008 with 1400 miles on it....really looks clean and seems to run perfectly. Has the Uptite pipe on it, which concerned me at first look, but its a LOT quieter than my ratty Supertrapp I had on the KLR, sounds really nice and mellow. Has a nice set of bark busters on it too and a bash plate. It even has a nice set of folding mirrors, maybe from a 510, not sure. All I need to do is rip that silly flashlight of a headlight off of it and it's "done" for me right now.

What a *beast* compared to my KLR. I haven't ridden at all in over 2yrs so I just put played around on it a bit and I didn't want to do a highway ride home for my first ride in a few years. I did manage a bunch of feet up full lock turns...it never fully leaves one's system. it was GOOD to ride again.

The throttle response and power is crazy compared to the farm tractor I had before. Definitely need some quality time loosening up on it. Picking it up Saturday This bike I can tell is a whole other world from what the KLR was, filling in what I really wanted out of the KLR to begin with.

Now I have to track down all the nice guys here who tolerated a n00b in the Jersey pine barrens and start my training all over again. Those tires will have to go though before I get back into that sugar sand.

Kingsqueak screwed with this post 06-02-2010 at 01:34 PM
Kingsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:14 PM   #17080
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsqueak
So I had a KLR, never really liked it all that much, had family issues going on etc, sold it. Regretted not having a bike for a couple years now....the usual.

Looked at the TE630, but it is a pricey bastard right now, and I certainly didn't need the added power it has. These are five times the bike that I am a rider.

2008 with 1400 miles on it....really looks clean and seems to run perfectly. Has the Vince pipe on it, which concerned me, but its a LOT quieter than my ratty Supertrapp I had on the KLR, sounds really nice and mellow.
Congrats on scoring that almost new 610. Looks like you don't need to do anything to get it out there. But, I think that exhaust is from Uptite, no?
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 01:16 PM   #17081
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

I'm actually not sure, no markings on the outside of it. Has a sort of purple anodized plug in the end of it.

Whatever it is, it sounds really nice and has a screen in it, which was the main thing for me.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:20 PM   #17082
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

2008 with 1400 miles on it....really looks clean and seems to run perfectly. Has the Vince pipe on it, which concerned me, but its a LOT quieter than my ratty Supertrapp I had on the KLR, sounds really nice and mellow. Has a nice set of bark busters on it too and a bash plate. It even has a nice set of folding mirrors, maybe from a 510, not sure. All I need to do is rip that silly flashlight of a headlight off of it and it's "done" for me right now.

What a *beast* compared to my KLR. I haven't ridden at all in over 2yrs so I just put played around on it a bit and I didn't want to do a highway ride home for my first ride in a few years. I did manage a bunch of feet up full lock turns...it never fully leaves one's system. it was GOOD to ride again.

The throttle response and power is crazy compared to the farm tractor I had before. Definitely need some quality time loosening up on it. Picking it up Saturday This bike I can tell is a whole other world from what the KLR was, filling in what I really wanted out of the KLR to begin with.

Now I have to track down all the nice guys here who tolerated a n00b in the Jersey pine barrens and start my training all over again. Those tires will have to go though before I get back into that sugar sand.

Congratulations! That bikes new! Are you sure it's a vince pipe? Looks kinda like an uptite or something to me
For sure make sure it has the power up kit installed. Night and day difference in performance. For the life of me I dunno how bikes like that can exist. I bought mine "used"

It had 126 miles on it.

I put 200 on the first day.
I think I put 1400 the first week.

I've been told... Ahem... That the KLR is better off-road than the 610.

I can't wait to hear your version of the story.

And yeah, you gotta get some new tires. Another 606 vs 908 War!
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-02-2010, 01:29 PM   #17083
Kingsqueak
Wannabe

Just hunted for pics, yes it's an Uptite. It is a lot mellower and nicer than my old disc style Supertrapp, by a mile.

The tires will stick on it for a bit while I get acclimated to it, should be fine for hard pack 'roads' for now, but i won't be rushing into the sugar sand for sure.

The headlight has to go though, flipping the coin between a Lynx or the 7" H4 conversion of the 'race light' from BD or TT. The lynx fairing might be nice for the occasional highway runs I make.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #17084
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Just hunted for pics, yes it's an Uptite. It is a lot mellower and nicer than my old disc style Supertrapp, by a mile.

The tires will stick on it for a bit while I get acclimated to it, should be fine for hard pack 'roads' for now, but i won't be rushing into the sugar sand for sure.

The headlight has to go though, flipping the coin between a Lynx or the 7" H4 conversion of the 'race light' from BD or TT. The lynx fairing might be nice for the occasional highway runs I make.
If you want a lynx better snatch one up quick cuz he's stopped making them!
I have the Lynx and I LOVE it, but...

It depends on your riding. I am pretty aggressive off-road, and I ride way past my ability pretty regularly

If you fall a lot off road avoid the lynx.

On the highway, it's perfection, nothing touches it. I have the dual HID version, and let me tell you, it is sweet! But I kinda don't expect it to survive this summer and I'll be going to a race light with a shield like Nicomama has on her drz:

Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 06-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #17085
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,448
Rear shock

Anybody have a rear shock they want to sell? Anybody have a reccomendation for a replacement shock? Somebody/someplace to rebuild/repair it (assuming the piston is available as a replacement part)?

Help?
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote