Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2006, 08:26 PM   #196
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I am going to put together a list of all the important aftermarket parts available soon with suppliers and add it to the Index. If any of you guys wish to add parts to the list please chime in on this thread
Day late & a dollar short but why don't you put an after market section on the index thread? Isn't that the one stop shop for all 610 links

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #197
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
I created a thread that others can add input to...that way when people are searching through the Index Proper in the future there will be a specific thread where everyone can discuss and recommend additions to the List contained in the Index. I hope that is clear...

My feeling is there needs to be a thread for most topics we discuss as it is easier to file info that way, at least for me. It also allows the entire group to add to the discussions eliminating the need for me to cut and paste and also keeping the clutter of the Index thread itself minimized. I guess the other way would be to add suggestions to the Index thread but following Meat's organizational order there is always a thread to include in the Index (list of threads). There can be other threads added to the Index as well, in particular those with reviews...

Dan

buffallodan screwed with this post 10-12-2006 at 09:45 PM
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 08:46 AM   #198
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroute
My dealer failed to mount the front turn indicators on my bike saying that the brackets needed were not in the crate. They are supposedly on the way. Would really appreciate someone posting a closeup pic of theirs on the bike so I can see what I'm waiting for. I've got the turn indicators and I've read where others have justed mounted to the headlight plastic. Might just do that as I can't get my bike plated until its done.

Online parts manual does not seem to show my style of lights and it is unclear what the bracket is. Therefore a pic would be very much appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
Hey Offroute,

I just removed my front blinkers, and your welcome to borrow the brackets.

I decided not to wait for them to get broken off like Dan's. Besides that I have had several occasions when front blinkers almost got me killed riding in the street. I would often forget to turn them off and then suddenly have a car pull out in front of me. I would start to flip the guy off and then realize that he to thought I was turning. I think they do more harm than good. I'll just do it like the old days and use hand signals. I will keep the rear ones on, they are important in the street. I did replace them with the ones off my 83 Honda 600xl. They are mounted on a flexable shaft and can take a pretty good fall.

Imo Husky really didn't put much effort into the ancilary items on this bike, i.e. mirrors that break before you even get the bike home, melting side panels, blinkers that are just waiting to be broken off, and a 2x6 that they pasted off as a seat. But don't get me wrong I'm totally stoked about this bike and would have willing paid the same price even if they left that stuff completly off the bike.

Anyway I digress. Let me know if you need the brackets.

Fletch
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:09 AM   #199
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123
Hey Offroute,

I just removed my front blinkers, and your welcome to borrow the brackets.

I decided not to wait for them to get broken off like Dan's. Besides that I have had several occasions when front blinkers almost got me killed riding in the street. I would often forget to turn them off and then suddenly have a car pull out in front of me. I would start to flip the guy off and then realize that he to thought I was turning. I think they do more harm than good. I'll just do it like the old days and use hand signals. I will keep the rear ones on, they are important in the street. I did replace them with the ones off my 83 Honda 600xl. They are mounted on a flexable shaft and can take a pretty good fall.

Imo Husky really didn't put much effort into the ancilary items on this bike, i.e. mirrors that break before you even get the bike home, melting side panels, blinkers that are just waiting to be broken off, and a 2x6 that they pasted off as a seat. But don't get me wrong I'm totally stoked about this bike and would have willing paid the same price even if they left that stuff completly off the bike.

Anyway I digress. Let me know if you need the brackets.

Fletch
Thanks Fletch. My concern with the blinkers is that I need them on the bike while I get through the registration nightmare. Otherwise I agree and would just as soon have them fall off with all the emissions stuff. Can you PM me with a phone and private email so we can get together on this?

Bad day yesterday with the bike. Went down to the Shell to put my first gas in the thing. Ran fine down the hill, but after filling it would not start. Turned over fine but would never fire. Had to walk to get a ride back up to my house and when I came back the thing was dripping gas from the carburetor/airbox area. Big puddle underneath. Turned off the petcock and it stopped. Tapped on the carburetor figuring it had a stuck float or needle valve. Tipped the bike over on it's right side and gas poured out of the airbox. Tried turning over the engine and it made one revolution before thunking to a stop - almost like hydraulic lock in the cylinder. Could the cylinder have filled with gas too???? Don't know but did not seem to be more fluid in the crank case as the level was still at the top fill line.

Got the bike home but now figure I must drain the crankcase to be sure, change the filter etc. All at 70 miles. A bad experience. Reno Cycles is giving me the oil and filters to do this no charge, but what a pain. Bigger concern is getting out 20 miles somewhere and having this happen again. Not sure what to think at this point...

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:12 AM   #200
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Dan of Others - How is the Renazco Seat?

Am looking for any reviews regarding the Renazco Seat or other rebuild alternatives. The seat sucks and since my riding is more casual and will tend to be longer, I'm looking for comfort and willing to sacrifice a bit of narrowness to get it.

Any opinions, pro or con, will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 10-13-2006, 09:15 AM   #201
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Thanks Fletch. My concern with the blinkers is that I need them on the bike while I get through the registration nightmare. Otherwise I agree and would just as soon have them fall off with all the emissions stuff. Can you PM me with a phone and private email so we can get together on this?

Bad day yesterday with the bike. Went down to the Shell to put my first gas in the thing. Ran fine down the hill, but after filling it would not start. Turned over fine but would never fire. Had to walk to get a ride back up to my house and when I came back the thing was dripping gas from the carburetor/airbox area. Big puddle underneath. Turned off the petcock and it stopped. Tapped on the carburetor figuring it had a stuck float or needle valve. Tipped the bike over on it's right side and gas poured out of the airbox. Tried turning over the engine and it made one revolution before thunking to a stop - almost like hydraulic lock in the cylinder. Could the cylinder have filled with gas too???? Don't know but did not seem to be more fluid in the crank case as the level was still at the top fill line.

Got the bike home but now figure I must drain the crankcase to be sure, change the filter etc. All at 70 miles. A bad experience. Reno Cycles is giving me the oil and filters to do this no charge, but what a pain. Bigger concern is getting out 20 miles somewhere and having this happen again. Not sure what to think at this point...
I cut the gas off before I kill the engine. Bought mine used with 125 miles on it, and while we standing there in the parking lot talking about it formed a puddle on the pavment with the petcock open. Don't forget.two oil drain plugs.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:26 AM   #202
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Hey Offroute,

I just pm you with my contact info.

Fletch
Old 10-15-2006, 04:59 PM   #203
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oil Drain on TE610

Am I missing something? Looking at the owners manual I see that I need to open two drain plugs to change my oil. Underneath the bike it looks like one is an allen type and the other is a std hex type. I don't have a tool in my kit that fits the allen type plug. Was this supposed to be in my factory supplied tool kit for this bike - '06 TE610? There is a hex tool in the bag that appears to be a mm or two too big for this plug.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:08 PM   #204
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Am I missing something? Looking at the owners manual I see that I need to open two drain plugs to change my oil. Underneath the bike it looks like one is an allen type and the other is a std hex type. I don't have a tool in my kit that fits the allen type plug. Was this supposed to be in my factory supplied tool kit for this bike - '06 TE610? There is a hex tool in the bag that appears to be a mm or two too big for this plug.
Offroute,

I was standing right next to you at Reno Cycles buying some oil. You had just walked out. when I started b.s.ing with the parts guy and telling your story about the gas flooding mishap, and he says ya the guy just walk out. I ran out to catch ya but you were already motoring off on your DL.

Anyhow, yeah your right there's two drain plugs, and no allen wrench in the tool kit for the one plug.

The allen that's in the tool kit is to loosen the front axle nut. I just found this out the hard way yesterday. I went on a 400 mile weekend ride with 16 guys at to Gerlach and the Blackrock from Truckee. All dirt. Got a front flat as soon as we got into Nevada. Thats when I figured out what the allen was for. Actually one the guys that stopped to help me out figure it out. I was feeling alittle stupid saying stuff like I just got the bike I'm not sure if I have an allen wrench. Anyway this brings up a couple of points.

One; carry a 10 mm socket. I was lucky I brought one, and not just the open end wrench. The guy who assembled the bike way over tighten the bolts and the heads would have stripped without a socket.

Two; change the tubes before they go flat. Maybe this is standard pratice thing to do, but I didn't know. When we pulled the tube out one of the veteran riders laugh and said no wonder you got a flat, look at that cheapshit tube they put in there. I thought all tubes were created equeal.

In regards to the trip itself, it was a blast. Other than the flat the bike performed flawlessly. I rode hard and thru all kinds of terrian and it didn't let me down and it safed my ass more than once.

In closing the I think the te610 has some minor glitchy shit that can be dealt with, but underneath the engine supspension and brakes are top notch. Besides it's fun to be the only husky in a group of xr 650s

Hey one other note to pass along. Your only good for 125 miles of hard riding on a full tank before you run out including reserve. I found this out the hard way also. Fourtunately I was only a mile from the gas station, and one of the xrs with the big tank gave me shot to get to the station. Defintely looking forward to a bigger tank.

Fletch

fletch123 screwed with this post 10-15-2006 at 08:21 PM
Old 10-15-2006, 10:50 PM   #205
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

TE610 Flooding into the Carburetor, Crimped Hose, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123
Offroute,

I was standing right next to you at Reno Cycles buying some oil. You had just walked out. when I started b.s.ing with the parts guy and telling your story about the gas flooding mishap, and he says ya the guy just walk out. I ran out to catch ya but you were already motoring off on your DL.

Anyhow, yeah your right there's two drain plugs, and no allen wrench in the tool kit for the one plug.

The allen that's in the tool kit is to loosen the front axle nut. I just found this out the hard way yesterday. I went on a 400 mile weekend ride with 16 guys at to Gerlach and the Blackrock from Truckee. All dirt. Got a front flat as soon as we got into Nevada. Thats when I figured out what the allen was for. Actually one the guys that stopped to help me out figure it out. I was feeling alittle stupid saying stuff like I just got the bike I'm not sure if I have an allen wrench. Anyway this brings up a couple of points.

One; carry a 10 mm socket. I was lucky I brought one, and not just the open end wrench. The guy who assembled the bike way over tighten the bolts and the heads would have stripped without a socket.

Two; change the tubes before they go flat. Maybe this is standard pratice thing to do, but I didn't know. When we pulled the tube out one of the veteran riders laugh and said no wonder you got a flat, look at that cheapshit tube they put in there. I thought all tubes were created equeal.

In regards to the trip itself, it was a blast. Other than the flat the bike performed flawlessly. I rode hard and thru all kinds of terrian and it didn't let me down and it safed my ass more than once.

In closing the I think the te610 has some minor glitchy shit that can be dealt with, but underneath the engine supspension and brakes are top notch. Besides it's fun to be the only husky in a group of xr 650s

Hey one other note to pass along. Your only good for 125 miles of hard riding on a full tank before you run out including reserve. I found this out the hard way also. Fourtunately I was only a mile from the gas station, and one of the xrs with the big tank gave me shot to get to the station. Defintely looking forward to a bigger tank.

Fletch
Fletch,

Great info and the ride sounds like it would have been great fun. Did you guys camp or motel? Am anxious to get my problems sorted out so I can do a similar riding adventure on the thing.

Found a 10mm allen and changed the oil tonight. Significant amount of gas in the oil, and my entire drain was about 1 5/8 liters. Tried to get every drop out but I think I'll only ride 50 or so miles and change it again as I hate the thought of there being an gas in the residual. I also think I found the culprit that caused the flooding problem: there is a vent or overflow tube that comes straight out of the bottom of the float bowl and immediately has to make a bend because of it's proximity to the engine case. This tube was routed in such a way that it was kinked.

This is that way it came from the factory. Would not pass air. I rerouted the thing to prevent this from happening again. What I don't understand is that if this is supposed to be a overflow vent/vent, the thing being routed straight up to the backbone of the frame would prevent it from draining a stuck float (the combustion chamber would be lower) and it seems like I could end up with the same problem of gas in the crankcase again. That would be a real drag if I was in the middle of the black rock desert!

You might want to check your bike and see if you have this same kink. Also, in taking off the tank it became apparent that the reserve valve on the left side of the tank does not turn off completely - and so turning off the tank valves every time I stop the engine would not really prevent endless flooding into the airbox and combustion chamber again. I'm going to ask for a replacement valve as this can't be right. Have you had your tank off to see if your valves both have a full-tite off? Main petcock is ok on mine.

One other thing you might check is the engine breather tube that goes into the backside of the airbox. There is an elbow there that is so lose that it is practically falling out. Since this thing is on the "clean air" side it poses a real hazard for bringing dust directly into the intake. I had to wrap the elbow with electrical tape to provide a tight enough seal for it to feel secure and leak-proof. Kind of disappointing to see such a cheesy fitting on this.

In any case, I have very high hopes that all this will get sorted out. Am glad I have ripped into the thing and am anxious to have my emissions stuff fall off soon. Just need to get it licensed next week. I'll give you a call regarding the brackets.

Old 10-16-2006, 06:08 AM   #206
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Fletch,

Great info and the ride sounds like it would have been great fun. Did you guys camp or motel? Am anxious to get my problems sorted out so I can do a similar riding adventure on the thing.

Found a 10mm allen and changed the oil tonight. Significant amount of gas in the oil, and my entire drain was about 1 5/8 liters. Tried to get every drop out but I think I'll only ride 50 or so miles and change it again as I hate the thought of there being an gas in the residual. I also think I found the culprit that caused the flooding problem: there is a vent or overflow tube that comes straight out of the bottom of the float bowl and immediately has to make a bend because of it's proximity to the engine case. This tube was routed in such a way that it was kinked.

This is that way it came from the factory. Would not pass air. I rerouted the thing to prevent this from happening again. What I don't understand is that if this is supposed to be a overflow vent/vent, the thing being routed straight up to the backbone of the frame would prevent it from draining a stuck float (the combustion chamber would be lower) and it seems like I could end up with the same problem of gas in the crankcase again. That would be a real drag if I was in the middle of the black rock desert!

You might want to check your bike and see if you have this same kink. Also, in taking off the tank it became apparent that the reserve valve on the left side of the tank does not turn off completely - and so turning off the tank valves every time I stop the engine would not really prevent endless flooding into the airbox and combustion chamber again. I'm going to ask for a replacement valve as this can't be right. Have you had your tank off to see if your valves both have a full-tite off? Main petcock is ok on mine.

One other thing you might check is the engine breather tube that goes into the backside of the airbox. There is an elbow there that is so lose that it is practically falling out. Since this thing is on the "clean air" side it poses a real hazard for bringing dust directly into the intake. I had to wrap the elbow with electrical tape to provide a tight enough seal for it to feel secure and leak-proof. Kind of disappointing to see such a cheesy fitting on this.

In any case, I have very high hopes that all this will get sorted out. Am glad I have ripped into the thing and am anxious to have my emissions stuff fall off soon. Just need to get it licensed next week. I'll give you a call regarding the brackets.
I would be highly pissed if my bike shop didn't catch the drain vent routing not as much because I couldn't fix it easily but that it implies they didn't check a darn thing. Well I guess most experienced riders woudn't trust a shop to set a bike up correctly anyway and we are getting experienced quick because of Husky's poor QC on assembly.
Another specific thing to check are the triple clamp torque settings as these wrere way over torqued on mine and the case bolts were loose on first change. I guess it is standard practice to check all bolts and locktite what you can...this way we become more familiar with our steed.

Dan
Old 10-16-2006, 07:34 AM   #207
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I would be highly pissed if my bike shop didn't catch the drain vent routing not as much because I couldn't fix it easily but that it implies they didn't check a darn thing. Well I guess most experienced riders woudn't trust a shop to set a bike up correctly anyway and we are getting experienced quick because of Husky's poor QC on assembly.
Another specific thing to check are the triple clamp torque settings as these wrere way over torqued on mine and the case bolts were loose on first change. I guess it is standard practice to check all bolts and locktite what you can...this way we become more familiar with our steed.

Dan
When I talked to the guy at the shop who was the supposed Husky expert he seemed clueless about the two oil screens - where they were etc. And they sold over 20 TE610s this year! And so I think it is pretty obvious why I feel it is important to track down all these issues myself.

Dan, I just picked up my Cycra handguards from Dan at MotoXotica. Any tips on mounting these puppies before I did it. Dan sold me the special drill bit, but am curious if you have any other tips before I dive in. BTW - I sure appreciate the effort you've made to organize the threads for us TE-610 guys. It is proving very helpful.

offroute screwed with this post 10-16-2006 at 08:37 AM
Old 10-16-2006, 04:33 PM   #208
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
When I talked to the guy at the shop who was the supposed Husky expert he seemed clueless about the two oil screens - where they were etc. And they sold over 20 TE610s this year! And so I think it is pretty obvious why I feel it is important to track down all these issues myself.

Dan, I just picked up my Cycra handguards from Dan at MotoXotica. Any tips on mounting these puppies before I did it. Dan sold me the special drill bit, but am curious if you have any other tips before I dive in. BTW - I sure appreciate the effort you've made to organize the threads for us TE-610 guys. It is proving very helpful.
If the bit is a straight bit it should be 33/64". I used a special bit first not sure the name but it has incremental cutting so you can drill a hole gradually larger, the reason I used it first was it has less contact area so there was less chance of binding. The problem was it was 1/2" and when I used the 33/64" it tried to bind on me; so having the proper bit makes all the difference. If you drill slowly and ensure the bars can't move you should be fine. On mounting the guards they really need to be bent as they won't sit flat against the end of the bar. I couldn't budge mine using a vise to hold it but I am a wuss perhaps as someone else was able to...I would also lube the threads of the screws that go into the aluminum ferrels as you need to tighten them pretty snug. Longer screws would give complete contact in ferrels as well as being stronger if they aren't threaded all the way, two of us have broken the screws already. I would lube the bolts that mount to the aluminum piece that is bolted to the clamps as well to minimize stress on tightening.
p.s. make sure you like the grips you have because you won't want to remount the barends once you get it done, and that sweet cam that Ray sells would need to go on as well ...
Good luck and let us know if it goes O.K.

BTW thanks for the props on the index, just trying to do my bit

Dan
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM   #209
onebaduce

Oddometer: 566
Cycra FYI

Just in case any of you replace your bars or trash the bolts here is the part munber.

1053-02, that is for a set of the aluminum wedges and the bolts.

rick@cycraracing.com Rick is the sales manager direct.

Joe

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 PM   #210
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
New Owner

If this thread is still for sign-in than I am officially signing in! Just picked up my '06 TE610 today - used with about 2200 miles on it. I just sold a DR650 and thought I was going to get something smaller and more dirt worthy (really liked the 450 and 510) but the 610 came up close to me and it was a good deal - so maybe not smaller than the DR from a general cc/size standpoint but certainly more dirt worthy. I'll be heading to Big Bend in a few weeks for some riding -- shoudl be fun.
Magus is offline   Reply With Quote