Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #23266
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
It still seems odd that some guys are breaking their bolts multiple times! I'm wondering what they were doing at the moment of failure.
I'm one of those guys. Both times I was standing on the pegs and hitting the transition to a steep hill climb. The 610 peg mount is the issue.... you have to make absolutely certain that the frame and peg face are 100% flat. Even upgrading to higher strength bolts won't prevent them from breaking if the faces are not flat.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM   #23267
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lav1200 View Post
I'm one of those guys. Both times I was standing on the pegs and hitting the transition to a steep hill climb. The 610 peg mount is the issue.... you have to make absolutely certain that the frame and peg face are 100% flat. Even upgrading to higher strength bolts won't prevent them from breaking if the faces are not flat.
I ground it flat some, but not perfectly and still broke the peg off with stronger bolts. Twice! ended up welding it. Problem solved.

My field repair in Hanksville, UT.

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 PM   #23268
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
The stock bolts, like has been said are adequate if the surfaces match up evenly.The area surrounding the holes on the frame need to be checked too. Having a gap makes for a levering effect that multiplies the forces many times..

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #23269
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonXX View Post
Yep, stock hubs. Later this year or perhaps over the winter I plan to get a set of Warp 9 17's and relace the stockers to 21/18. Before then, I'm bound and determined to run the OBDR on 17's. Over this last winter I pretty well proved that 17's are just fine for the gnarled up mountain trails around here. The only bike that could keep up with me (when he wasn't faster than me) in the woods was...Ridealot on your old '08 TE
Good to hear your countershaft is holding up. I would like to get a cush hub, but the 800$ or so price makes it a bit expensive.
Woods Chick, who is around here some times, has ridden a lot of offroad with 17s on her 610.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #23270
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 559
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
After all the rain goes away. I have a farmers property (50 acres) w/ fishing hole off Duncaster rd to ride, then I hit the Mt and head to Tariffville. I've gathered a nice bit of riding area around here! I'll be in touch.

Life is good!
Me too?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #23271
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 559
A friend of mine gave me a barely used 110/100 Dunlop 695 rear. The Karoo is a 140/80. Is the Dunlop to narrow to use on 610?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #23272
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
No, should be ok

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #23273
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewha View Post
A friend of mine gave me a barely used 110/100 Dunlop 695 rear. The Karoo is a 140/80. Is the Dunlop to narrow to use on 610?
Anything will be better than the Karoo off road!

Life is good!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #23274
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
After all the rain goes away. I have a farmers property (50 acres) w/ fishing hole off Duncaster rd to ride, then I hit the Mt and head to Tariffville. I've gathered a nice bit of riding area around here! I'll be in touch.

Life is good!
FYI, can't this weekend and next weekend, I'm heading for 7 days of trail riding in KY, WVA and PA (on the 310). Keep in touch though. A friend in Windsor has taken me on some of that stuff. I'd really like to learn it better.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #23275
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1 View Post
FYI, can't this weekend and next weekend, I'm heading for 7 days of trail riding in KY, WVA and PA (on the 310). Keep in touch though. A friend in Windsor has taken me on some of that stuff. I'd really like to learn it better.
Wow! You really get around! Have fun! The 610 is getting the gasket replaced this week, so it wouldn't be until next week or so. Have fun.

Life is good!
Old 04-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #23276
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 446
I've got an '08 SM610. I'm trying to take the tank off. Can someone tell me how to disconnect the miserable plastic fuel line connectors before I destroy them? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #23277
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
I've got an '08 SM610. I'm trying to take the tank off. Can someone tell me how to disconnect the miserable plastic fuel line connectors before I destroy them? Thanks.
squeeze the white & red buttons on both sides and pull.

If it's not coming you gotta get the buttons in deeper. They are a bitch.

Also, be prepared for one to spew fuel, I take the crossover off the left side so I can attach it to the spout on the pump.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #23278
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
squeeze the white & red buttons on both sides and pull.

If it's not coming you gotta get the buttons in deeper. They are a bitch.

Also, be prepared for one to spew fuel, I take the crossover off the left side so I can attach it to the spout on the pump.

Maybe if you can get a squirt of lube to them it may help release - they are a bitch and often twisted away from one. Need to be very careful not to break the L connector into the fuel pump under the tank ... many have done this and an expensive mistake tht involves a new pump or lots of engineering tapping a new thread etc etc. As Xy says you need to press deeper and pull apart at same time. Also when replacing make sure they clip together well as they have a habit of not doing so and pissing gas everywhere

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:44 AM   #23279
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,628
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
Also when replacing make sure they clip together well as they have a habit of not doing so and pissing gas everywhere
BTDT. Was on my way to work one day on the 610, some guy at a stoplight points at my engine frantically. I'm thinking, "yeah, I know it's a cool bike, buddy." Turns out that he was trying to tell me I was dumping gasoline all over the place. It was a loose connector; rectified in seconds once I'd pulled over.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #23280
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
BTDT. Was on my way to work one day on the 610, some guy at a stoplight points at my engine frantically. I'm thinking, "yeah, I know it's a cool bike, buddy." Turns out that he was trying to tell me I was dumping gasoline all over the place. It was a loose connector; rectified in seconds once I'd pulled over.
Yeah and how I know ... ran out of gas and discovered a boot full of gas as well ... try and get that smell out!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote