ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #23716
Mgizler
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Council Bluffs, IA
Oddometer: 52
No problem, Glad I could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky mtn nut View Post
Mark you saved me, mine broke on the way home from work I followed your lead . its on its way.thank you
Mgizler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #23717
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
I noticed a few questions about engine temp in the last couple of pages. It hasn't been talked about in quite some time, but the stock hose clamps are pure garbage and eventually fail, some slowly where the bike starts running hotter without coolant loss, it just vents pressure/air until a clamp really blows apart.


__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #23718
Baroquenride
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Clark Co, WA
Oddometer: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Do you have a picture of the Guts seat on your bike?
Sorry, no. I only have pics of the seat itself.
__________________
2000 Honda VFR800, 2008 Husqvarna TE-610
Baroquenride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #23719
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it
 
Rattletrap's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Heart of Dixie
Oddometer: 302
[QUOTE=Mgizler;18936925]How did you reroute the stock cable. I was looking at it this morning and trying to figure out a better way to route it than it currently is. It just blows my mind that the cam chain was 8 clicks and the clutch cable was seconds away from breaking with less than 2000 miles on the clock.

Anyway, I would appreciate it If you could share a photo or diagram of how you had your cable run.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

Sorry for the slow post, been working way too much, but yes Larryboy got it right. I also kept it oiled or sprayed with the same teflon stuff I use for my chain. If you have a burr in the adjustment barrel, the Barnett clutch cable end won't slide in, its a tight fit.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #23720
rocky mtn nut
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rocky mtn nut's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: cincinnati ohio
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
I hope they improved the design from 3 years ago - mine broke at the lever in 1000 miles - they "fixed" it for free - but it broke again in the same spot a 1000 miles later - went back to the OEM cable.
Do you think its our clutch lever that's the problem??
rocky mtn nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #23721
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
tlking6's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Lower Left Side
Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky mtn nut View Post
Do you think its our clutch lever that's the problem??
I had trouble early on at the lever as well. I switched to the barnett cable. The end of the cable is a little smaller than the opening in the lever. I give it a couple wraps of teflon tape to take up the slop but still allow it to pivot. I also route it so that there is always a slight pressure up on it, that way it doesnt rub. I dont know if that makes sense or not but if you study the travel on it you can see what is going on. Since I have done this I havent noticed any wear at all on the cable, guessing about 4k miles, and I take it apart and check it out alot. I do, however, carry a spare on longer rides.
__________________
08 Husky 610 TE
01 KTM 453 MXC
tlking6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #23722
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus
 
drrags's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Reno, NV
Oddometer: 1,813
I broke mine about 700 miles from home (about 7,000 miles on it). I shifted without a clutch and pushed it from stoplights and popped into first gear for awhile. Then it hit me that I had needlenose vise grips in the tool bag. I clamped that sucker onto the frayed end through the hole in the lever and that got me home easily. I don't carry a spare clutch cable, but I damm-straight carry those vice grips!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 12:13 PM   #23723
larryboy
Paint it black.
 
larryboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Über Alles,Ca
Oddometer: 13,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
I broke mine about 700 miles from home (about 7,000 miles on it). I shifted without a clutch and pushed it from stoplights and popped into first gear for awhile. Then it hit me that I had needlenose vise grips in the tool bag. I clamped that sucker onto the frayed end through the hole in the lever and that got me home easily. I don't carry a spare clutch cable, but I damm-straight carry those vice grips!

Made it thru Utah, Nevada, Oregon and back to Sacramento on dirt:


__________________
Be sure the safest rule is that we should not dare to live in any scene in which we dare not die. ~Lewis Carroll~
larryboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #23724
gunnr
optimsm
 
gunnr's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Camas, not Washougal
Oddometer: 287
Can I get some input on whether I should replace the auto CCT with a manual one? The bike is an 08 with less than 2K miles? I haven't pulled the auto one out yet to count the "clicks". I have read the auto could overadjust causing too much pressure on the chain? Makes sense. How does one adjust the manual one? Just wondering if it might help the chain to last longer.

thanx
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 PM   #23725
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: LBC, yo.
Oddometer: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnoxious67 View Post
Do you have a picture of the Guts seat on your bike?
Here's a Guts tall seat. Cover and foam are pretty inexpensive, maybe a couple hours of work if you really take your time and are anal about getting it just right.



__________________
DIRT BIKES ARE FUN AND INTERESTING
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #23726
JonXX
Infraction Collector
 
JonXX's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: OR's hub of wine-tasting soccer moms
Oddometer: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullet View Post
Does the two hours also include mowing the grass? haha

_
My uncle mowed the grass while I was installing the racks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
What size aux. fuel tank is that? Rotopax or Kolpin?
It's a 1.5 gallon Rotopax that came out of a Kolpin box.
__________________
Hungry? Out of work? Nowhere to ride? Do us all a favor and eat a Sierra Club member.

"They" said we couldn't run the OBDR on supermotos...
JonXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 AM   #23727
toddler
Unpronouncible
 
toddler's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
Oddometer: 2,677
That looks very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Here's a Guts tall seat. Cover and foam are pretty inexpensive, maybe a couple hours of work if you really take your time and are anal about getting it just right.



toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #23728
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...
 
bobnoxious67's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Marion, MA
Oddometer: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis View Post
Here's a Guts tall seat. Cover and foam are pretty inexpensive, maybe a couple hours of work if you really take your time and are anal about getting it just right.
Thanks man.

More comfort than stock? Or was it just the height that made it better for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baroquenride View Post
Sorry, no. I only have pics of the seat itself.

PM me if you decide to sell it
__________________
"turn it on man, turn it on-whatever, whoever you are-TURN THE FAWKER ON!" -Herbert Foster Gunnison
01 Girlie
09 F800GS
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:26 AM   #23729
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer
 
1 lunger's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Bloomfield CT
Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Can I get some input on whether I should replace the auto CCT with a manual one? The bike is an 08 with less than 2K miles? I haven't pulled the auto one out yet to count the "clicks". I have read the auto could overadjust causing too much pressure on the chain? Makes sense. How does one adjust the manual one? Just wondering if it might help the chain to last longer.

thanx
That seems to be the consensus. I just got the APE manual one myself after installing a new CC. You have to pay attention to the manuals and check once and awhile. Pull your auto CCT and if you're still at a safe amount of clicks I would put it on. Make sure you remove the ACCT the proper way or you will be at 14 clicks.


Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #23730
sapienwaste
gahhhhhhhhhhh.
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Location: Denver, CO
Oddometer: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I noticed a few questions about engine temp in the last couple of pages. It hasn't been talked about in quite some time, but the stock hose clamps are pure garbage and eventually fail, some slowly where the bike starts running hotter without coolant loss, it just vents pressure/air until a clamp really blows apart.


I'll second this. Pure. Unadulterated. Garbage. Replace them or prepare to have a bad time.
sapienwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014