User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 01:19 PM   #226
nmhusky
The Old West

Oddometer: 12
Chain Lube Recommendation

Just bought an 06 TE610. Should have it this Friday. What is a good chain lube for desert conditions?
nmhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 01:46 PM   #227
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
checking flight manners

Sethro
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #228
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelver
Well, I would really have liked the tank a few months ago...

Anyway, by the time it comes out, the snow and ice will be on the ground, which will be frozen.

Next spring, maybe
I think they released the tanks late so we have an excuse to go south to test out the range, like Baja, Copper Canyon or even a Southern State Exploration Ride.... Look for me and my natural tank having one hell of a good time every ridable weekend we have this fall and Winter, no longer worrying about fuel ...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 02:42 PM   #229
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusky
Just bought an 06 TE610. Should have it this Friday. What is a good chain lube for desert conditions?
Welcome to the Asylum NM, and to the group. Enjoy the ride...you might try searching through the 640 Index as they cover alot of topics for the desert lube question and if the Forum search option doesn't turn up anything use this in google: site:advrider.com desert conditons chain lube

Dan
Old 10-29-2006, 03:15 PM   #230
onebaduce

Oddometer: 566
Ground control to Major Tom...Nice Air Sethro!

Joe
Old 10-29-2006, 03:38 PM   #231
nmhusky
The Old West

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for the welcome and the tip. off to the 640 thread.
nmhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:16 PM   #232
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
starter switch problem

Wondering if anyone has had a problem with their starter switch.

I went for a ride yesterday and took a good spill going down a hill. I hit hard on the right side bars. Started having problems with what appears to be the starter switch. It would work intermitently and then not at all. Good thing I was at the top of a hill when I stalled it and no more starter. I figure it is probably just a case of a cheap switch, but I thought I throw out there for some feedback.

Thanks Fletch
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 06:23 PM   #233
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Check the wiring on the starter as there has been one mention of a loose groundwire...let us know what comes of it.

Dan
Old 10-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #234
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123
Wondering if anyone has had a problem with their starter switch.

I went for a ride yesterday and took a good spill going down a hill. I hit hard on the right side bars. Started having problems with what appears to be the starter switch. It would work intermitently and then not at all. Good thing I was at the top of a hill when I stalled it and no more starter. I figure it is probably just a case of a cheap switch, but I thought I throw out there for some feedback.

Thanks Fletch
Get a volt meter! Ignition Sw feeds Kill SW which feeds Starter SW which feeds starter solonoid which feeds either Clutch Sw or Neutral SW to ground. I am going to ground low side of Solonoid to eleminate clutch and neutral switches.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:42 PM   #235
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countdown
Get a volt meter! Ignition Sw feeds Kill SW which feeds Starter SW which feeds starter solonoid which feeds either Clutch Sw or Neutral SW to ground. I am going to ground low side of Solonoid to eleminate clutch and neutral switches.
Got the voltmeter. It's the starter switch. I'm probably going to have to rig some sort of after market switch. I feel that the factory switch is not up to the task. I feel likes it's like alot of the ancillary items on this bike. Inferior quality. Then again I guess if I didn't crash it would have been o.k. But seriously I think stuff like this should be able to withstand the rigors of hard riding. Still think it's the best D.S. out there and just have to keep working through these little glitches.

Thanks for the response
Fletch
fletch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 06:10 PM   #236
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
COUNTDOWN:
Great info on the daisy chain of switches!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:48 PM   #237
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
4 days in the Valley on a TE610

Just returned from 4 days in Death Valley with my new TE610. What a great ride!

Left home in Truckee CA very early. 21 degrees. Glad I had wired up my electric jacket and gloves! Rode the slab to Big Pine and then the dirt in from the parks north end arriving at Furnace Creek with plenty of daylight left. Two days exploring the parks backcountry and then back out the way I came in. Hunter Mountain, Hidden Valley, all fun stuff.

Overall nearly 1100 miles in 4 days. Bike ran flawlessly. Cruises comfortably on the highway at 70. Thankfully, my Sweet Cheeks arrived the day before I left. Will order the Renazo right away as the seat is still crappy even for all dirt riding. Wish I had adjusted the suspension before leaving as the washboard was quite harsh at times. Otherwise, blasting the rough in DV at high speeds was a gas on the Husky. Might consider a larger rear sprocket though as I still think 65 could be comfortable on the highway, but would like a few more revs when chugging along in first.

FYI - didn't know what oil consumption would be like so took an extra bit in case. However, the use was barely discernable so didn't need. Did wear out my rear Karoo and need advice as what to replace it with. My riding will realistically include up to 50% slab to get to the trails and I am too lazy to deal with a trailer and the bike does so well on the road... Would TKC-80s be a bad choice? Seems to work well on my friends 950 Adv.

Miserable kickstand caused an accidental drop into my friends KTM 950 Adventure. Ouch! First fix on the list. Glad I had installed my Cycra handguards which saved my clutch lever. Don't know how the non-folding mirror hung in there.

Bike seems to run fine on regular gas although I normally use the mid grade. This trip saw temps from 21 to 90 and elevations from -200 ft to over 8000. I didn't fiddle with any jetting but do find a bad stutter letting off of wide open after prolonged accelleration. I installed the t-handled fuel/mixture screw before leaving but never touched it - was having too much fun riding.

Overloaded the promotobillet rack but no problems with it or the subframe. Can't wait to get Dirt-Bagz which I hear will be available around Nov 8. Had lock-tited many bolts before leaving an am glad I did. No losses but would have been otherwise.

Fuel is still the big issue and had to plan rides around this but took a hose in case I needed to siphon from a mother ship. The IMS tank will solve this problem. I could go 135 miles on mixed riding with the existing tank. Had planned for gas at Scotty's Castle but found out it is closed indefinately. Those heading to DV should plan accordingly.

That's it in a nutshell. Overall, couldn't be happier with my choice to buy the 610. A few more tweaks here and there and it will be the perfect adventure bike for me. I can see it is gonna get me places I can have trouble in if not prepared. Better get my tire repair skills and tool-kit honed up soon!

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 01:55 PM   #238
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhusky
Had been using PJ1 on my road bike but it is much too sticky and sand-attracting for dirt. I used Bel-Ray for 1100 miles in 4 days of mixed riding and it seems to work well. Will probably use it for everything from now on unless someone suggest something better.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:54 PM   #239
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
good post offroute

Awesome mini ride report, offroute!!!
Love the photos.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:47 PM   #240
sethro
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaduce
Ground control to Major Tom...Nice Air Sethro!

Joe
Thank you, such a capable bike for sure

Sethro
Flagstaff AZ 928-600-6768
www.tecrehab.com
sethro is offline   Reply With Quote