Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 06:30 AM   #24016
rocky mtn nut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
I followed the directions specified in the manual for removing the rear shock. Heck, I even removed one of the linkage bolts. The shock is now free inside the rear subframe/swingarm... however, I'm beginning to suspect that the manual has lied to me and that more work will be required... so... Is there a way to take out the rear shock w/o removing either the rear subframe or the swingarm?
I just did my 2007 I took the swingarm and muffler off and it came right out . It was my first time and it took about 1.5 hours. Take your time and note.the swing arm pivot bolt it must be oriented correctly to pass by brake lever.
rocky mtn nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:13 AM   #24017
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hey guys,
I'm currently scheduled to leave to do the CDT next Friday (8/10). I noticed today that when I come to a hard stop (with brake dive) oil smoke comes from the front of the bike. It has been leaking oil, seemingly from the headgasket, it has accumulated around the headers but does not smoke when sitting at a light, only recently and when the bike dives forward.
Is there a breather hose that I'm not seeing on the front of the motor that might be leaking? If its the gasket, are there any remedies or a temporary fix?
Any reason I shouldn't move forward with my plans to do the CDT? If oil loss is the issue, its not so rapid that I can't handle it by carrying extra oil.

Not what you want to be dealing with so close to a big trip.

EDIT: One thing I didn't mention. When checking my valves a month ago, I replaced the valve inspection cover gaskets, but did not seal the threads of the bolts that hold the cover on. I'm thinking that I should seal these threads, remove the headers, clean the gasket areas really well and smear with silicone (as I have seen mentioned in other oil leak threads). Thoughts?

KIK ROX screwed with this post 07-31-2012 at 09:04 AM
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #24018
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIK ROX View Post
Hey guys,
I'm currently scheduled to leave to do the CDT next Friday (8/10). I noticed today that when I come to a hard stop (with brake dive) oil smoke comes from the front of the bike. It has been leaking oil, seemingly from the headgasket, it has accumulated around the headers but does not smoke when sitting at a light, only recently and when the bike dives forward.
Is there a breather hose that I'm not seeing on the front of the motor that might be leaking? If its the gasket, are there any remedies or a temporary fix?
Any reason I shouldn't move forward with my plans to do the CDT? If oil loss is the issue, its not so rapid that I can't handle it by carrying extra oil.

Not what you want to be dealing with so close to a big trip.

EDIT: One thing I didn't mention. When checking my valves a month ago, I replaced the valve inspection cover gaskets, but did not seal the threads of the bolts that hold the cover on. I'm thinking that I should seal these threads, remove the headers, clean the gasket areas really well and smear with silicone (as I have seen mentioned in other oil leak threads). Thoughts?

It's the main valve cover and bolts leaking, not the inspection covers and bolts. It's really not that hard to do, no gasket used, machine fit to the head needs sealant and thread sealant on the bolts.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #24019
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Any thought as to why it would smoke when the bike dives? I can see oil under pressure leaking out, but don't understand how more oil would come out when the bike dives forward.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:26 AM   #24020
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,892
Quote:
Any thought as to why it would smoke when the bike dives? I can see oil under pressure leaking out, but don't understand how more oil would come out when the bike dives forward.

It spills off a little shelf onto the headers.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #24021
KIK ROX
Adventurer

How do we feel about wrapping the headers? I've got them off, seems like a good time to wrap them and reduce some ambient heat.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #24022
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
How do we feel about wrapping the headers? I've got them off, seems like a good time to wrap them and reduce some ambient heat.
I used to wrap the headers on my roadrace bikes (GSXR750/FJ600) and to be honest, I never noticed any performance advantage. If there was one it was pretty insignificant. It could have helped the engines last longer (?) by keeping them cooler. I did have a full race Yoshimura engine last an extraordinarily lone time. Maybe the wrap had something to do with that? The only real downside is that the wrap is hard to clean and it gets real dirty and ugly fast on a road/race bike so I can only imagine it'd take about one ride in the dirt to be packed in mud/dirt. As far an my husky goes, I never noticed any huge amounts of heat so it didn't seem like a project that was really worth it. If you do decide to do it let us know how it works.

ps, I remembered one other thing. The wrap holds moisture in it so besides adding weight to the bike when it gets wet it also promotes corrosion of the header pipe so if you leave it on there a long time your header will look pretty nasty when you finally take it off.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:19 PM   #24023
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Warning: Possible dumbass question

When I look at a TE630, it looks to me like a 610 with a 510 head bolted on. Does anyone know if it's as simple as that?
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:49 PM   #24024
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Do you know if it's reasonably do-able?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
Not quite, but close.
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 PM   #24025
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags View Post
Do you know if it's reasonably do-able?
So when should we be looking to subscribe to a build thread in "Some Assembly Required"?

huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #24026
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by 955616846 View Post
510 head on a 610... I doubt it. 630 top end (including cylinder) on a 610... maybe, but I'd question whether the agro and cost would be worth it.
So, you're chicken then? C'mon I dare you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
+1
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:32 AM   #24027
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey View Post
I used to wrap the headers on my roadrace bikes (GSXR750/FJ600) and to be honest, I never noticed any performance advantage. If there was one it was pretty insignificant. It could have helped the engines last longer (?) by keeping them cooler. I did have a full race Yoshimura engine last an extraordinarily lone time. Maybe the wrap had something to do with that? The only real downside is that the wrap is hard to clean and it gets real dirty and ugly fast on a road/race bike so I can only imagine it'd take about one ride in the dirt to be packed in mud/dirt. As far an my husky goes, I never noticed any huge amounts of heat so it didn't seem like a project that was really worth it. If you do decide to do it let us know how it works.

ps, I remembered one other thing. The wrap holds moisture in it so besides adding weight to the bike when it gets wet it also promotes corrosion of the header pipe so if you leave it on there a long time your header will look pretty nasty when you finally take it off.
I'm not looking for any performance gains, I just want to keep things cooler and potentially make them last longer (like the starter that is right next to the exhaust pipe). The bubbling of the plastic fuel overflow tube tells me that it does get pretty hot in the area under the radiators. It can get as hot as balls here in MD, I overheated on one of those record breaking temp days recently. I'd have to think that reducing heat so close to the radiators will probably help. I'm not too worried about corrosion, my bike doesn't get wet much and aren't the headers stainless?
Old 08-01-2012, 06:40 AM   #24028
KIK ROX
Adventurer

I think I'll do just that. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:25 AM   #24029
Homey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 596
Quote:
I'm not looking for any performance gains, I just want to keep things cooler and potentially make them last longer (like the starter that is right next to the exhaust pipe). The bubbling of the plastic fuel overflow tube tells me that it does get pretty hot in the area under the radiators. It can get as hot as balls here in MD, I overheated on one of those record breaking temp days recently. I'd have to think that reducing heat so close to the radiators will probably help. I'm not too worried about corrosion, my bike doesn't get wet much and aren't the headers stainless?
The stock pipes could be stainless (stainless will rust you know). I have an aftermarket Ti exhaust. I wrapped the header, before the expansion chamber, on the YZ490 I used to race, there was a small performance gain there, it was stainless and was pretty ugly when I took it off.

Don't let that deter though. If you think it will help, and it sounds like might, go ahead and do it. It certainly won't hurt your performance. If your bike is overheating it could actually help.
Homey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:02 PM   #24030
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,187
FYI guys, this is the contact for Kenn Webb aka Ken Webb side stands. He has made some great kick stands for the 610s & 630s. He has extra for sale. blaisew@sbcglobal.net

Life is good!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote