Old 09-05-2012, 10:15 AM   #24211
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
I had it wrong, 35.58: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11101

Follow the link to the dyno post.

Many others including myself have found the 610 with a carb to be jetted rich out of the box. When I put the pipe on it I got rid of the high rpm stutter and got it to 102 mph on a playa with camping gear on board.

I really don't think there is much more HP to found in the 576cc 13 to 1 engine, it's making about all it can.

I just don't understand how the carb guys get 60mpg out of it. My EFI bike gets 45 no matter how I drive it.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:17 PM   #24212
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I just don't understand how the carb guys get 60mpg out of it. My EFI bike gets 45 no matter how I drive it.
My carb'd bike gets around 42-45. I find 60 mpg hard to believe too, but I guess thats why they say YMMV. BTW, just got back from a test ride and the bike does run a bit better with the Hot Start knob pushed in. No excessive back fire
Old 09-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #24213
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
My EFI bike gets 45 no matter how I drive it.
Really? I've gotten 60mpg plenty of times (EFI), but admittedly, I'm pretty mellow. Hell, I've never even hit the rev limiter.
Old 09-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #24214
BrandonR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayron View Post
Really? I've gotten 60mpg plenty of times (EFI), but admittedly, I'm pretty mellow. Hell, I've never even hit the rev limiter.
With the oxygen sensor still connected and stock settings my bike got around 60mpg when ridden conservatively but had problems with low speed riding (surging) and tons of decel popping. Just unplugging the sensor dropped MPG to around 40 but cleared up all the problems. I considered whether it would be worth the trouble to wire up a switch to connect/disconnect the sensor depending on needs (MPG vs Fun) but never followed through. The almost 50% improvement in mpg could make a difference on some rides.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #24215
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Yep, same here. 60 mpg stock, 45 with the PU kit. The plug went from white ash to a nice tan.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #24216
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

Weird... mine has the PU kit and canister removed. I've never had ANY sort of fueling issues- no surging, bogging, or anything like that. I can even be in the wrong gear, snap the throttle, and it just goes. I actually brag to friends how it's never bogged... ever.
And the worst mpg I have ever gotten is around 40. But, that's ST first gear stuff.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 PM   #24217
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Interesting. I remember seeing some posts a few months back on the actual MPG folks were getting and I was a bit concerned with the actual range.

My bike is an '08, with the power up kit, no smog and stock pipe. Gearing is 14t front / 45t rear, on MT43's.

On my first long outing with full camping gear, moderate pace, I was getting 45. That included about 40% highway at 65-75 mph. On a more relaxed pace ride (FS roads) with no gear the following day I was seeing 52-55 ish. On recent solo day rides at moderate pace I'm seeing 55+. Because I feel like I'm always planning rides around fuel, I'd love to get the Safari tank to end the worries!

A couple of notes: my "moderate" pace is probably slow for some and fast for others... My goal with this bike is "to smell the roses" a bit and explore.

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #24218
JustRon
ex-broadwayron

I wonder how much weight has to do with mpg? Obviously, less weight is better. But, I weigh about 150, so maybe that helps the mpg.
Plus, I think I got lucky with this bike- I happened to get a really "good" one.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #24219
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
I had it wrong, 35.58: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11101

Follow the link to the dyno post.

Many others including myself have found the 610 with a carb to be jetted rich out of the box. When I put the pipe on it I got rid of the high rpm stutter and got it to 102 mph on a playa with camping gear on board.

I really don't think there is much more HP to found in the 576cc 13 to 1 engine, it's making about all it can.
Some dealers change the jetting before delivery to correct the jetting that was required for emissions testing. Your bike may have received that treatment, who knows? I do know that my bikes ran better after the AFRs were fattened up. I don't know or really care about the horsepower claims or dyno tests. And if I did care, I wouldn't base my opinion of them on one dyno test. We all know that three different testers/dynos can come up with three different HP/torque numbers. Maybe the real number is 30 or less?
My comments were because you said your friends DR400 ran out about the same as your 570, I suspected your bike was running lean and may have something to do with it. I have read numerous times on your posts that you regularly got 50MPG and on several occasions, 300 miles (60MPG) from a tank. Maybe your bike had perfect AFRs, but based on what I've seen and read, for a carbed bike that sounded lean.

as a side note:
I have been playing around with the jetting on my 07 off and on since I got it a year ago. I have gone from stock, BMP moded stock, to the JD recommended jetting, AP settings, needle, leak jet etc, where it ran super strong but got 38 MPG.
I have tried cutting the fuel back several ways to improve the miles per tank. I just recently arrived at a compromise that doesn't exhibit all the signs of being real lean and I'm not talking about the butt dyno. Hanging idle, pinging,excessive decell popping etc. My mileage is 45MPG for average mixed highway and off highway riding between sea level and 5000'. I'm pretty happy with that based on hours of reading old posts regarding carbed 610s,

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #24220
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
Some dealers change the jetting before delivery to correct the jetting that was required for emissions testing. Your bike may have received that treatment, who knows? I do know that my bikes ran better after the AFRs were fattened up. I don't know or really care about the horsepower claims or dyno tests. And if I did care, I wouldn't base my opinion of them on one dyno test. We all know that three different testers/dynos can come up with three different HP/torque numbers. Maybe the real number is 30 or less?
My comments were because you said your friends DR400 ran out about the same as your 570, I suspected your bike was running lean and may have something to do with it. I have read numerous times on your posts that you regularly got 50MPG and on several occasions, 300 miles (60MPG) from a tank. Maybe your bike had perfect AFRs, but based on what I've seen and read, for a carbed bike that sounded lean.

as a side note:
I have been playing around with the jetting on my 07 off and on since I got it a year ago. I have gone from stock, BMP moded stock, to the JD recommended jetting, AP settings, needle, leak jet etc, where it ran super strong but got 38 MPG.
I have tried cutting the fuel back several ways to improve the miles per tank. I just recently arrived at a compromise that doesn't exhibit all the signs of being real lean and I'm not talking about the butt dyno. Hanging idle, pinging,excessive decell popping etc. My mileage is 45MPG for average mixed highway and off highway riding between sea level and 5000'. I'm pretty happy with that based on hours of reading old posts regarding carbed 610s,

No, my dealer isn't a mechanic and doesn't have one in house...no changes were done to my bike when new.

I quote that one dyno run because it's the only one on the entire 'net that was with a stock bike and accurate, it's a baseline for the rest of the bikes.

I only compare to the DRZ400E because it's the light one with a pumper carb and more aggressive cams, it weighs less than a 610 and keeps up just fine with a properly tuned, not lean 610. Remember it was rich, if a 610 is getting low 40 mpg's my experience says it's too rich.

YMMV

Thanks for the good discussion, it brought out some of the 60 mpg guys.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #24221
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
if a 610 is getting low 40 mpg's my experience says it's too rich.
Is there any way to tweak an EFI bike? Or even test it for that matter? Is a power commander worthwhile?

Quote:
YMMV
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-06-2012, 09:46 AM   #24222
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Seattle Flywheel puller?

Anybody in the Tacoma/Seattle/Everett area got a flywheel puller I can borrow? Cuz you know now that summer's over I'm thinking about maybe starting to think about someday getting my bike in order.

ANd Baja, thinking about Baja
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 09-06-2012, 10:04 AM   #24223
diggsdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Ouch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggsdirt View Post
Hey All, I have a 06 TE 610 and the last time I posted I had an overflow of gas into my engine. I had left the petcock in the on position and apparently filled up the crankcase with gas, I did not know at the time and road to work and back ( about a 24 mile round trip ).
On the way home I noticed a noise, when releasing the clutch, on the clutch side, like a growl.
When I got home I realized what had happened, drained the oil, changed filter ran it and changed the oil one more time.
So now every once and a while when letting the clutch out, the same growl makes happens. When the clutch is fully engaged it does not happen, still pulls strong and otherwise no other problems.
Could the gas in the oil caused issues with the clutch plates or the clutch basket?
I have 9,700 miles on the bike.
Any thoughts would be great.
Thanks!
Michael
Took it into Heinens today, clutch and clutch basket are shot, big ouch. Cam chain hit the reeds and needs to be replaced as well, ouch. This job is beyond my capabilities, but should go to school after this invoice......
diggsdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #24224
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
No, my dealer isn't a mechanic and doesn't have one in house...no changes were done to my bike when new.

I quote that one dyno run because it's the only one on the entire 'net that was with a stock bike and accurate, it's a baseline for the rest of the bikes.

YMMV

Thanks for the good discussion, it brought out some of the 60 mpg guys.

Well if it was me I wouldn't hang my hat on one dyno run, but that's just me.

Yeah, I agree, some people get real defensive about their opinions and think a discussion has to be an arguement

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #24225
KIK ROX
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Hey guys,
A week or so ago, I got back from my CDR trip. Basically drove out to Antelope Wells, NM with the bike in the back of my truck with my brother, he dropped me at the border and went to Oregon while I rode North to the Canadian border in Roosville, MT. Here is a pic of the bike in northern NM:

The only issue with the bike was a missing bolt that supports the subframe to the main frame (near the chain) which I discovered only after the bike was packed up and we were on our way back to MD. I also suspect that my clutch spring washers are failing, it got pretty "chattery" the last two days.
I did crash after a long day just outside of Kremmling,CO and bent the handlebar top clamp, thus keeping the bars crooked, but that's not the bike's fault.

I went to a snowmobile shop the next day and asked them to cut the crossbars on the top clamp off, allowing me to re-straighten the bars enough to continue.

With the 1.75 gallon Rotopax bolted to my rack, I was able to make it from Rawlins, WY to Boulder, WY without issue (240 miles I think). Riding up Union Pass in Wyoming was one of the best parts of the whole trip. I was able to open it up and ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden. Even (efficiently) loaded, its so freaking fast!
At the top of Union Pass:

Here it is somewhere in Montana:

I'll write up a proper ride report in the near future and post a link here.
KIK ROX is offline   Reply With Quote