Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #24391
Rattletrap
When in doubt-Gas it

Oddometer: 302
I used the 7602 braces and guards. Good quality stuff.

Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 AM   #24392
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
I used the 7602 braces and guards. Good quality stuff.

I looked at those and forgot all about them. I would have got those ones!
1 lunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:02 AM   #24393
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
I installed 7602's vent filter kit yesterday.

Here's the irony: I bought the TE instead of an XRR because I wanted the bike to be squeaky-clean, guaranteed officially street legal in California. In order to make it run right (or at all) and not melt itself, every part of the emissions control system that made it legal has now been removed or thoroughly altered. Brilliant. It feels like emissions controls, circa 1974.

-----------------------
Also, I found one of the exhaust heat shield bolts was backing out. Further investigation revealed the fiber washer was coming apart and had relaxed the preload, allowing the bolt to loosen. That's the last fiber washer. Replaced it with SS like the rest of them and expect no further troubles.

Taranis screwed with this post 10-07-2012 at 10:26 AM
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:23 AM   #24394
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Was 74 a bad year for emissions? I was only around for 10 or 12 days in 74. I remember my Dads International harvester in 78 or 79 when I was 4 or 5 years old and thinking back, it couldn't have had any emissions, it was just a motor and battery

1 lunger screwed with this post 10-08-2012 at 08:38 PM
Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #24395
Dualsport
Maker of Sweet Cheek

Oddometer: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
Was 74 a bad year for emissions? I was only around for 10 or 12 days in 74. I remember my Dads International harvester in 78 or 79 when I was 4 or 5 years old and thing back, it couldn't have had and emissions, it was just a motor and battery
I bought a 73 Nova SS in 1974 and thought that removing the pollution pump was a big deal. I think it all started around that time.
Dualsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #24396
Taranis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Was 74 a bad year for emissions? I was only around for 10 or 12 days in 74. I remember my Dads International harvester in 78 or 79 when I was 4 or 5 years old and thinking back, it couldn't have had any emissions, it was just a motor and battery
The good Ford Cleveland heads are '72-73. Porsches gained 400 lb and lost 40 hp in '74. You could say it was a bad year.

Taranis screwed with this post 06-09-2013 at 04:26 PM
Taranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #24397
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Question Newbie with questions...

HI All,

New 610 owner here. It's a 2008 with 1,300 miles. I bought it used for $4,500. I've only had it for a day, but I can tell that it is going to be a strong running bike. Starts easily. Finding neutral is a chore. Seat is ok but could be better.

I've already ordered a spare clutch cable.

Question 1: what is the brightest aftermarket DOT approved headlight I can put on this thing without stressing the electronics too bad? I was caught out in the dark and in the rain and it was quite an adventure getting home with the Husky's pitiful headlight. I would love to put on the Baja Designs La Paz lights but I don't think they are DOT approved.

Question 2: I feel tipsy when I stand up on this thing, not a stable as on other bikes like my Super Tenere. I've thought about putting on handle bar risers but I've heard that the clutch cables don't have enough slack to allow that. I've also thought about putting on lower pegs. I think what really needs to happen is the pegs need to move rearward to spread me out better, but then I would have to mess with the brake and shifter. Any suggestions?

Thanks
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #24398
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
HI All,

New 610 owner here. It's a 2008 with 1,300 miles. I bought it used for $4,500. I've only had it for a day, but I can tell that it is going to be a strong running bike. Starts easily. Finding neutral is a chore. Seat is ok but could be better.

I've already ordered a spare clutch cable.

Question 1: what is the brightest aftermarket DOT approved headlight I can put on this thing without stressing the electronics too bad? I was caught out in the dark and in the rain and it was quite an adventure getting home with the Husky's pitiful headlight. I would love to put on the Baja Designs La Paz lights but I don't think they are DOT approved.

Question 2: I feel tipsy when I stand up on this thing, not a stable as on other bikes like my Super Tenere. I've thought about putting on handle bar risers but I've heard that the clutch cables don't have enough slack to allow that. I've also thought about putting on lower pegs. I think what really needs to happen is the pegs need to move rearward to spread me out better, but then I would have to mess with the brake and shifter. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Get the motion pro cable it's 2" longer and add 2" Rox risers. Move the bars forward and it's night and day. The stator on these can support a lot! 340 or 360 watt.

1 lunger screwed with this post 10-09-2012 at 06:01 PM
Old 10-09-2012, 07:40 PM   #24399
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Thanks Lunger. Thankfully I ordered the Motion pro. I didn't know the Rox could move forward like that. Sweet.

By the way, I've found some other threads on the lighting thing. Still trying to decide what to do on that issue.

Quote:
Get the motion pro cable it's 2" longer and add 2" Rox risers. Move the bars forward and it's night and day. The stator on these can support a lot! 340 or 360 watt.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #24400
1 lunger
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Thanks Lunger. Thankfully I ordered the Motion pro. I didn't know the Rox could move forward like that. Sweet.

By the way, I've found some other threads on the lighting thing. Still trying to decide what to do on that issue.
Start striping things off until it looks kinda like this
Edit: my bad, I thought you said lightening. The trail tech X 2 is a good light.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:12 AM   #24401
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
My Poor bike!

My Poor abused bike. Today I had a little boo-boo where I was accelerating kinda hard, checked my 6 and when I looked up there was a semi braking hard for a barely yellow light.

I got on it pretty hard, but the rear started sliding and it was clear I was gonna thump him. I started to veer left but there was a car coming, so I had to lay'r down Lol.

The rear did a near perfect slid putting the bike horizontal under the bumper and the back tire impacting the semi's tire.

All-in-all pretty amazing result.

I got up and got the hell out of there!

OK, so later, I discovered that I'd torn the muffler mounts out of the subframe. and I got a dramatic increase in my ongoing oil leak where the shifter punched the stator cover (but to be fair there's also a crack that I think may be the cause of my previous leak)

And I guess I must have been on the brake pretty hard, cuz about 1/2 hour later the footpeg popped off.

OK, so sorry that was so long-winded...

Who makes the bling clip-on rear brake toe thingy?

Anybody got a lead on a stator cover less than $200?

I slapped some quicksteel on and rode it to Portland an back. Oh and so naturally the cam chain that I've put off fixing for a year is now rubbing the reed valve. I'm gonna give it some love soon, just in time for winter. I promise.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #24402
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Sucks that the bike took some damage, but the statement above is the key. Glad to hear you walked away unhurt. Bike can be fixed.

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #24403
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post
Sucks that the bike took some damage, but the statement above is the key. Glad to hear you walked away unhurt. Bike can be fixed.

Yeah, hurt my pride pretty bad, which is surprising cuz really after all this time you wouldn't expect there to be much left.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #24404
Baroquenride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Brake pedal

Aaron, you can get a brake pedal from Bill's for $25. Since you're up north, maybe try Tasky's. I bent mine beyond repair about 6 months ago and Bill had one in the glass case. I forgot who makes it though, but you could call him and he could tell you. It comes in red anodizing and it's not made for the TE-610 but with some finagling it'll work. I'll try and send you a pic in a few hours.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #24405
nathan8315
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
My Poor abused bike. Today I had a little boo-boo where I was accelerating kinda hard, checked my 6 and when I looked up there was a semi braking hard for a barely yellow light.

I got on it pretty hard, but the rear started sliding and it was clear I was gonna thump him. I started to veer left but there was a car coming, so I had to lay'r down Lol.

The rear did a near perfect slid putting the bike horizontal under the bumper and the back tire impacting the semi's tire.

All-in-all pretty amazing result.

OK, so later, I discovered that I'd torn the muffler mounts out of the subframe. and I got a dramatic increase in my ongoing oil leak where the shifter punched the stator cover (but to be fair there's also a crack that I think may be the cause of my previous leak)

And I guess I must have been on the brake pretty hard, cuz about 1/2 hour later the footpeg popped off.

OK, so sorry that was so long-winded...

Who makes the bling clip-on rear brake toe thingy?

Anybody got a lead on a stator cover less than $200?

I slapped some quicksteel on and rode it to Portland an back. Oh and so naturally the cam chain that I've put off fixing for a year is now rubbing the reed valve. I'm gonna give it some love soon, just in time for winter. I promise.

For the Stator cover try Fran Bottone @ Jo-Bet cycles. I get all my parts through him and I thought he quoted me that cover for around what your are looking (this was last year though).

Edit: I called Jo-Bet cycles and they are closed. Fran moved over to 6V motorsports. The number on the machine was 814-368-5500. Not sure if he will be able to help there or not, but couldn't hurt to check.

nathan8315 screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 12:07 PM
nathan8315 is offline   Reply With Quote