Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2012, 03:48 AM   #24526
DutchGrandia
b00n

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
That said, I also had a little episode (popped the front tire - deep in the middle of the woods) where I came to the realization that having a good tool kit on board is a must. Hence this post...

So in addition to being a total NUBE in the dirt, I'm also somewhat of a novice when it comes to working on bikes... and while I know the OEM kit is mostly useless, I thought a thread to discuss what people are throwing in their 610 tool kit would be fun (as it's highly personal..)

So far I've heard everything from a packet of vasilene, ty wraps, a small can of WD40, 30' of small diameter rope, A GREAT MULTITOOL, headlamp, the right allen wrench, wrenches for key bolts, spare tube/tire iron/inflator.......

Thanks for your input, hopefully your suggestions won't be needed - but if they are know that I'll be thanking you from some remote trail w/ less than an hour of daylight many miles from the trailhead..
This thread is helpful:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I personally love this tool, which fits underneath the saddle:
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0161/

Also, make sure you have the tools to loosen the axle nuts. The Cafe Husky axle wrench plus Uptite axle nut work very well for me: http://www.cafehusky.com/pages/cafehusky_merchandise/
DutchGrandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:52 AM   #24527
DutchGrandia
b00n

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
That said, I also had a little episode (popped the front tire - deep in the middle of the woods) where I came to the realization that having a good tool kit on board is a must. Hence this post...

So in addition to being a total NUBE in the dirt, I'm also somewhat of a novice when it comes to working on bikes... and while I know the OEM kit is mostly useless, I thought a thread to discuss what people are throwing in their 610 tool kit would be fun (as it's highly personal..)

So far I've heard everything from a packet of vasilene, ty wraps, a small can of WD40, 30' of small diameter rope, A GREAT MULTITOOL, headlamp, the right allen wrench, wrenches for key bolts, spare tube/tire iron/inflator.......

Thanks for your input, hopefully your suggestions won't be needed - but if they are know that I'll be thanking you from some remote trail w/ less than an hour of daylight many miles from the trailhead..
This thread is helpful:
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262998

I personally love the Motionpro tool, which fits underneath the saddle.
DutchGrandia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:07 AM   #24528
Bryant
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
thanks, and additional ? about voltage meeters

Thanks to all who've posted on my tool question... LOTS of really good ideas/info, I'm hoping it's useful to others as they think about winter repairs/enhancements/"what did I tell myself I'd do after the last ride"...

Side question, so as I posted in an earlier thread, I'm planning to add grip heaters and I have a heated vest I plan to plug into the SAE plug I use for the battery tender (which is hooked up direct to the battery, no fuse.) I've been told to get a voltage meter, as that can be a lot of draw (I also run the Lynx fairing, w/ dual 65W H9 Hella lights) This was suggested, but I don't see an actual voltage indicator on it..
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

looks like it has pre-established indicators for low voltage, but I'm not clear if it's low for the 610 (which I believe needs to run at 14) or just "low for most bikes"... which usually means 12.7 or something...

Love to hear what people have used successfully as I plan to get one of these on ASAP.

Thanks again for all the advice/support!!!!!
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:16 AM   #24529
motopreserve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
I wasn't aware that the husky battery needed to be anything abnormal for a motorcycle battery - maybe someone will tell us different??? But that photo in the link shows o-ring terminals, which would suggest tying directly to the battery. Might want check with manufacturer whether the v meter should be switched, so you don't drain the battery by trying to monitor the battery :)

MotoPreserve -- a blog about wrenching on bikes in Barre, VT...
motopreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #24530
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlking6 View Post
I try to work out of my tool kit when I'm working on the bike at home. Yeah I'll grab a ratchet or a T wrench from time to time from my toolbox on things I know I have covered but by working out of the kit it lets me know if there is anything I should add. I carry a small bag of bolts, master links, chain breaker, fuses and of course zip ties. Lately I added some of the quick set JB Weld after a buddy of mine punched a hole in is case. Someone had some and it kept the ride going.
+1, use the carry kit to perform general maintence on the bike at home. Add and change tool type as needed always with an eye on less weight and more versital tools.

This is the carry tool kit for my Honda, but you'll get the idea:

86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7

fritzcoinc screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 09:29 AM
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #24531
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,813
The battery bug displays the actual voltage quite accurately. Its display alternates between percentage of battery life left, and actual voltage. It connects directly to the battery. Do not make it switchable or it will reset each time and not give you an accurate battery life predictor. It draws almost nothing so no worry about leaving it connected.

The LED voltage indicator works as designed. If it's green your shit is charging and above the base battery voltage value. Ultimately, that's all you have to worry about, whether it's 12.7 volts or 14.2 volts. It will warn you if it goes over 15 volts, too.

I'm running all the same shit you are and there are no problems for me.
Quote:
Thanks to all who've posted on my tool question... LOTS of really good ideas/info, I'm hoping it's useful to others as they think about winter repairs/enhancements/"what did I tell myself I'd do after the last ride"...

Side question, so as I posted in an earlier thread, I'm planning to add grip heaters and I have a heated vest I plan to plug into the SAE plug I use for the battery tender (which is hooked up direct to the battery, no fuse.) I've been told to get a voltage meter, as that can be a lot of draw (I also run the Lynx fairing, w/ dual 65W H9 Hella lights) This was suggested, but I don't see an actual voltage indicator on it..
http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/...tm?Click=35177

looks like it has pre-established indicators for low voltage, but I'm not clear if it's low for the 610 (which I believe needs to run at 14) or just "low for most bikes"... which usually means 12.7 or something...

Love to hear what people have used successfully as I plan to get one of these on ASAP.

Thanks again for all the advice/support!!!!!
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #24532
reimorei
Brazillian Adventure

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
disconnect battery for 10 min and it should come back on.
worked, thanks!
1992 Honda CR 125 - 1991 Kawasaki KDX 200 - 1989 Kawasaki KDX 200
reimorei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:58 PM   #24533
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Question Performance Upgrade and high altitude riding

Howdy All,

Just a few months ago I picked up a new to me 2008 TE 610. Very impressed with this bike.

I just did the resistor/performance upgrade, thus bypassing the o2 sensor. <--- WOW, what a difference this makes!!! Improved power all around, and much better throttle response. But best of all, no more cutting out on the freeway and at lights when I cut the throttle. That was becoming a safety issue while unremedied.

My question is, will the fuel injection system still adjust for high altitude riding with the o2 sensor bypassed? I'm planning on doing the TAT this next summer, so I'll need the high altitude performance.

I haven't yet gutted the stock exhaust but will be doing that this next month. Even with the stock can the performance upgrade is great however.

Thanks.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #24534
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Rocker arms

I have 22,000 miles on my 2007 TE and pulled the valve cover to do some preventitive maintenance. I found the intake rocker arm had little play in it at one end.

My question - should I replace just the rocker arm or the rod/shaft also?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #24535
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
I have 22,000 miles on my 2007 TE and pulled the valve cover to do some preventitive maintenance. I found the intake rocker arm had little play in it at one end.

My question - should I replace just the rocker arm or the rod/shaft also?
The end cap that holds the rocker arm shaft end place, can you snug that up? There are specs in the service manual for how much play is ok for several measurments on the rocker arms.

If you have the valve cover off that the rockers arms mount in I would replace the needle bearing cam followers, they are cheap about $20 each if I remember correctly.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:03 PM   #24536
begeberg
That'll leave a mark..

Oddometer: 2,286
Is the thread dead...

Like the Te610?

Funniest truthism ever.....
begeberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #24537
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,418
Quote:
Originally Posted by begeberg View Post
Like the Te610?
NO! But maybe TE talk more active down at the Husky Cafe?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:01 PM   #24538
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
NO! But maybe TE talk more active down at the Husky Cafe?
Winter, nobody's out ridin and breakin crap
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:55 AM   #24539
bobnoxious67
Baby steps...

Oddometer: 2,207
I miss mine...
09 TE450
bobnoxious67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:59 AM   #24540
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Winter, nobody's out ridin and breakin crap
I didn't realize that you required riding to break things.