Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #24751
flyrodder
Donny, please.

Oddometer: 2,933
Can't remember if was in here or on ThumperTalk, but there was a long discussion about the alignment of the lower (clutch end) adjustment bracket. On mine, when I removed the airbox, you could see that the end of the cable was not pointed at the end of the lower clutch actuation lever during mid-stroke. Obviously, it can not be perfectly aligned for the entire throw, but it was way off causing the cable to rub significantly on the end of the adjustment threads. With some vice and large crescent-wrench work, I bent the backet so the cable at least pointed at the lever. Made a HUGE difference. Probably 50% lighter at the clutch lever and much smoother; can't feel that grinding any longer.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #24752
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodder View Post
Can't remember if was in here or on ThumperTalk, but there was a long discussion about the alignment of the lower (clutch end) adjustment bracket. On mine, when I removed the airbox, you could see that the end of the cable was not pointed at the end of the lower clutch actuation lever during mid-stroke. Obviously, it can not be perfectly aligned for the entire throw, but it was way off causing the cable to rub significantly on the end of the adjustment threads. With some vice and large crescent-wrench work, I bent the bracket so the cable at least pointed at the lever. Made a HUGE difference. Probably 50% lighter at the clutch lever and much smoother; can't feel that grinding any longer.
Definitely makes a difference - problem can start with where the actuating arm is adjusted for the start of the pull but this cannot be adjusted without dropping the oil and removing the side cover and adjusting the nut on the rod. The plate can be tweaked for better alignment and you can also look at the ferule at the hand lever and slop there - can be taken up quite simply with a small strip of shimstock wound round the tip of the cable which is a thinner OD than the lever ferule (some have actually turned an additional sleeve piece but not really necessary - see on Cafe Husky)

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #24753
h2o_snow
Water, snow & dirt too.

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 lunger View Post
My front brakes make noise too. Did from day 1.
+1 here. Other ideas?
Over the hills where the spirits fly,
I really don't know.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 08:04 AM   #24754
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
Definitely makes a difference - problem can start with where the actuating arm is adjusted for the start of the pull but this cannot be adjusted without dropping the oil and removing the side cover and adjusting the nut on the rod. The plate can be tweaked for better alignment and you can also look at the ferule at the hand lever and slop there - can be taken up quite simply with a small strip of shimstock wound round the tip of the cable which is a thinner OD than the lever ferule (some have actually turned an additional sleeve piece but not really necessary - see on Cafe Husky)
Shim stock?
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #24755
K7MDL
TE450, TE610

Oddometer: 1,552
Cable alignment

I just loosely tie-wrapped the cable to my hand guard such that the entry to the clutch was straight on. I have HDB guards which happen to be in the perfect location to support the cable this way.

There is a small locating notch in the bottom end bracket. A bit of filing there allows you to improve the alignment at that end by rotating it a couple degrees..
K7MDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:16 AM   #24756
nw scout
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 693
Finally got some free time and got my new to me 610 out last weekend.

Hit the Nestucca OHV park in the coast range for some nice single track then back roads to the beach.
Great first ride on the new scoot, and was very impressed with the bike. For a big dual sport it is amazing on the trails

Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #24757
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1 View Post
Shim stock?
Any material shims are made of - thin copper worked for me as I could cut it with a pair of heavy duty scissors - simple alu Coke can would do it as well. Thin strip the width of the cable end ferule wrapped around once should do it to allow a tight perindicular entry and no movement that can allow the cable to sit at an angle and rub.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #24758
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG DoM View Post
Any material shims are made of - thin copper worked for me as I could cut it with a pair of heavy duty scissors - simple alu Coke can would do it as well. Thin strip the width of the cable end ferule wrapped around once should do it to allow a tight perindicular entry and no movement that can allow the cable to sit at an angle and rub.
Thanks!
I will try it.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:08 PM   #24759
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Hi All,

My speedo quit working today. Everything else works fine; rpm, gas light, blinkers...

Is there a quick fix to this?

Should I just get a Vapor Tech?

Thanks.

By the way, it is a 2008 Te 610 with 2,300 miles.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #24760
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Pistolship View Post
Hi All,

My speedo quit working today. Everything else works fine; rpm, gas light, blinkers...

Is there a quick fix to this?

Should I just get a Vapor Tech?

Thanks.

By the way, it is a 2008 Te 610 with 2,300 miles.
I have not had the problem, but I have heard many times that the speedo can come back from death if you disconnect the battery for a few minutes.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:07 PM   #24761
StolenFant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Ditto on the battery disconnect. I think it it's a 3 minute minimum, but thus fix was not for total "computer failure" it was for speedometer failure, tachometer and clock still worked on the computer.

Clint

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
StolenFant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #24762
His Pistolship
Kp calm, shoot alfas

Oddometer: 395
Thanks guys. I'll give that a try.
His Pistolship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #24763
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
The speedo cable and connector usually fatigue and break as the cable seperates after following the front brake line.
Check your speedo wiring just right of the dash and the little white connector.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #24764
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,352
Our dash displays are interesting Italian products IMO I have read for years about them and finally had my first go-around with one the other day. My 07 had been apart for several weeks doing sub frame reinforcement and general maintenance with the battery disconnected. When I put the battery back in to check out the electrics,the display would boot up with the key off and the starter would engage. I did some searching and couldn't find or remember anything related. I have followed this thread from the beginning, but that has been awhile.. So I started trying different combinations and found that if I held the mode key down before hooking up the battery and turning the key on that things appeared to be normal.
I am having no success (so far) removing the oil can and wrench though, but I can live with that. Just another day-

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #24765
Hoseman
pushing rocks.....

Oddometer: 597
My speedo has done that a time or two as well. Check to see if you have lost the magnet that is attached to the front brake rotor. It is attached to the outside of the rotor right where it would pass under the end of the speedo cable and is about the size of a pencil eraser. If it is gone, your speedo will not work.
Hoseman is offline   Reply With Quote