Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 09:50 PM   #241
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Offroute

Hey Offroute,

Nice report. I'm curious about what looks like a gps mounted on your bars, and those front blinkers look familiar.

I agree with you about a larger rear sprocket. I rode that dual sport ride on Saturday. Took all the hard splits on tight single track. alot of twisties and deep rutted hill climbs. Couldn't get out of 1st and had to work the clutch alot.

About the tires. I switched the karoos with a set of Pirelli Scopions. Great in the dirt but really sketchy on the slab. Let me know what you come up with. These tires are not going to work out. I want to ride as much as possible in the dirt but, when I hit the slab the street rider comes out in me.
fletch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:26 PM   #242
offroute
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch123
Hey Offroute,

Nice report. I'm curious about what looks like a gps mounted on your bars, and those front blinkers look familiar.

I agree with you about a larger rear sprocket. I rode that dual sport ride on Saturday. Took all the hard splits on tight single track. alot of twisties and deep rutted hill climbs. Couldn't get out of 1st and had to work the clutch alot.

About the tires. I switched the karoos with a set of Pirelli Scopions. Great in the dirt but really sketchy on the slab. Let me know what you come up with. These tires are not going to work out. I want to ride as much as possible in the dirt but, when I hit the slab the street rider comes out in me.
Hey Fletch, I've gotta get those blinkers back to you this week. The GPS is a Garmin 60CSx on a RAM mount. I'm a Garmin distributor so I had my choice of all and that one seems to suit me best for onroad/offroad and my human powered backcountry pursuits.

Curious how others feel about the sprocket issue and if anyone has tried a change resulting in about a 5% lowering. Seems like that would give me what I need. In regards to tires; I thought Scorpions were more oriented toward road so am surprised by your comments. I'm going to have to do more research to figure out what to go with. The Karoo did not seem all that grippy in the dirt to me, but it sure wore out quickly.

If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going.
offroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:49 PM   #243
fletch123
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
scorpions

Offroute,

Like I told ya the other day, I'm just getting back into bikes and really not up to speed on alot of tech stuff. Like knowing the proper name of my tires.

They are Scorpion Pros. They are full on knbbies. You defintely don't want these tires. I wasn't thinking about the sacrafice I'd be making in the street when I put these tires on. I guess I would rather sacrafice a little in the dirt. Besides I'm giving serious thought to another bike. Not getting rid of the 610 but adding to the stable. I read somewhere that you really need 5 or 6 bikes to be complete. And now I thinking about a te450 or ktm 450.

No worries on the blinkers. I was just busting ya.
fletch123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #244
Forty5
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I lost the spacer that holds the rear plastic off the muffler and now I have melted plastic ...what was the solution for a repair?
Dan
I filled up and then topped off the plug hole with high temp permatex (red) and that seems to be working.
Forty5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:01 AM   #245
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Add 1 more TE610 owner. Dropping off the $$$$$ today

Lost count of how many bikes I've owned but 50 would be a conservative guess. Started out on dirt and then went to street only for at least 25 years and now have a 950 and will have a 610. Just sold my KLX400 and recently sold my XR650L. Both good bikes but time for something different.

Sold my R1 and Triumph Sprint early this year and my 950 is lookin awfully lonely in the garage.

Blatant plug for the Husky shop.

http://www.5thgear.ca/Home

Ya gotta like a guy who's nick name is Hillbilly

http://www.abbotsfordtimes.com/issue...014206nn1.html

Fred screwed with this post 11-02-2006 at 10:18 AM
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 11:57 AM   #246
squids leap
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
My CBR finally sold, I get to pick up my new 610 today , well maybe I am very short so my friend may ride it home, but I'll be trying find the tallest shoes I can so I can start breaking it in.
squids leap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #247
onebaduce

Oddometer: 566
Wow

Seems Like us TE610 riders are Growing quickly.

Congrats and welcome!

Joe
Old 11-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #248
davevh
Baja bound with stevevh

Oddometer: 169
I'm in!

Hey devoted Husky owners

I have a thread going elsewhere in the thumpers forum but I wanted to hop in here quick to introduce myself to those who have not come across it.
I am a South African living in Texas who has just recently gotten back into riding and thought a new Husky TE610 (06) would fit the bill

I lived on a farm in my younger days about an hour inland from Cape Town and it is there that I developed my skills in offroad motorcycling. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who had a passion for weeklong trips into the mountains on his bike's (he had a few) and he helped me with maintenance (he had a large hanger filled to the brim with power tools and such; he used the excuse that it was all for maintaining farm equipment but I knew better) and I learned a lot from him.

I was fortunate enough to log around 30 hours of sailplane experience around those same mountains and got great views of the trails and roads from high above while soaring the slopes. No gps's or maps back then, it was good ole dead reckoning

Anyway, if this many people are showing up with new Husky's so quickly there may be hope for more dealers and better aftermarket support yet!

Keep the infomation flowing ya all (that Texas accent is assimilating me)

Davevh

2006 - Husky-varna TE610
davevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:00 PM   #249
tshelver
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5
I filled up and then topped off the plug hole with high temp permatex (red) and that seems to be working.
I used high temperature epoxy. Sets as hard as a rock, seems to be working fine.

The original rubber thingie didn't last very long in there.
'06 Husky TE610 (gone)
tshelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:53 PM   #250
Chadleys1
working on it

Oddometer: 564
Quote:
Originally Posted by davevh
Hey devoted Husky owners

I have a thread going elsewhere in the thumpers forum but I wanted to hop in here quick to introduce myself to those who have not come across it.
I am a South African living in Texas who has just recently gotten back into riding and thought a new Husky TE610 (06) would fit the bill

I lived on a farm in my younger days about an hour inland from Cape Town and it is there that I developed my skills in offroad motorcycling. I was lucky enough to have a neighbor who had a passion for weeklong trips into the mountains on his bike's (he had a few) and he helped me with maintenance (he had a large hanger filled to the brim with power tools and such; he used the excuse that it was all for maintaining farm equipment but I knew better) and I learned a lot from him.

I was fortunate enough to log around 30 hours of sailplane experience around those same mountains and got great views of the trails and roads from high above while soaring the slopes. No gps's or maps back then, it was good ole dead reckoning

Anyway, if this many people are showing up with new Husky's so quickly there may be hope for more dealers and better aftermarket support yet!

Keep the infomation flowing ya all (that Texas accent is assimilating me)

Davevh
Davevh,
Welcome to the asylum.
There is lots of good riding all over Texas, you will love it.
Here is a link to one of the best dualsport rides of the year.
It takes place this weekend in Terlingua Texas, which is surrounded by, arguably, the best dualsport riding short of Mexico. There are supposed to be 2 or 3 other TE 610 riders attending other than myself.
I'll probably run into to you sometime.
Here is the link.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10401
Here is a link to a less hardcore dualsport ride which starts not far from Austin, the Saturday after Thanksgiving.
http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13055
Old 11-09-2006, 09:37 AM   #251
davevh
Baja bound with stevevh

Oddometer: 169
Thanks for the info on the rides Chadleys1!

It sux that I have another obligation this weekend, and the Saturday after thanksgiving I will be In England (getting back around 16 December, Sniff I will miss my bike)

I will bookmark the links and hopefully make it out to those next year (if my busy pre-med schedule will permit it)
For now I will probably do some shorter local rides to get used to the bike and break it in (and hopefully not break something). After that, gung ho man!

2006 - Husky-varna TE610
davevh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:41 PM   #252
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forty5
Welcome to the Asylum and the group and thx for the repair info...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #253
Chadleys1
working on it

ride report coming

I will post a short ride report in the next couple of days on the TRH/Suzuki/AMA National Dualsport Ride in Terlingua Texas in the ride reports section. I got to meet Magus one of our own TE610 owners, as well as several other TE610 owners?!! That's right, we were on a ride in some of the most scenic, rugged, and isolated desert trails anywhere, and get this; there were at least 4 (I think 5) TE 610's in attendance? All in the same place. Wow.
Here is a teaser photo.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:30 PM   #254
Chadleys1
working on it

Ok

OK, one more teaser photo.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 PM   #255
Magus
Never grew up...

Oddometer: 96
Chadley was a roll chartn', gps'n, dust avoiding, Husky-ridn' Son of a Gun out there in that Texas desert! What a great trip - I think we are still buzzn' from Sunday's hill climb to where his picture was taken.

Here's another looking over the Rio Grande at Mexico...

Magus is offline   Reply With Quote