Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 10:33 PM   #286
dragshotz
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Thanks for the welcome guys. The funny thing is I still don't know if the bike will be injected or not...I have heard several different stories and in the end I thought "what the hell", (even my dealer didn't know for sure) it'll still be a great bike either way.

On another note, I was digging through a box of old photo's tonight (I had forgotten that I had them) and found a bunch of Enduro stuff from the seventies and early eighties.
The bikes sure have changed, My old '78 KTM 400 looks ancient but I remember it being scarey fast, I also rode a Husky 250 for a season and it looks pretty dated now as well. I also had a Bultaco Frontera 360 for a while and I rode an early KTM 495 that was a monster but only had a four-speed transmission so it wasn't ideal for Enduro use. Lotsa' fun though.
Anyone remember the Rotax engined SWM and Can-Ams? Nice bikes at the time and I still think the rotary valve Rotax was a hell of an engine.

Probably the most impressive bikes/riders and teams of the era were the Eastern Europeans. Trained with military precision and despite the bikes looking pre-historic they were always contenders in the Euro two day series and the ISDT/ISDE. The riders were all full-time military and all they did was train to race. I seem to remember that they rode Jawas, MZ's and CZ's.

I also remember being awestruck by the sight of the factory BMW riders throwing around huge boxer engined works bikes like they were on lightweight motocrossers (I reckon you had to be at least seven feet tall and be able to bench press 400 pounds to even be considered for a factory BMW ride at the time) and one year at the ISDE Maico had a factory 800cc two stroke single !!
The Italians specialized in smaller capacity bikes at the time and they were very impressive. Malaguti, Fantic, Gilera, Garelli, Morbidelli, etc etc. Amazing machines. 80cc, water cooled and fast as hell (Sounded like an angry wasp in a tin can) in the hands of a 120lb nutcase Italian.

I also remember when the Yamaha IT's first came out, I got to ride a IT175 at the '80 six-day and remember thinking that as nice a bike as it was the Japanese would never be competitive with the European manufacturers! Doh! it's just as well I didn't put any money on it...

I'll scan a few pics and post them when I get a chance, May give you a few laughs.
I am going to the Red Bull Last man standing event in North Texas on Saturday to check it out, anyone else going?

Cheers
Chris
dragshotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 10:51 AM   #287
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragshotz
I am going to the Red Bull Last man standing event in North Texas on Saturday to check it out, anyone else going?

Cheers
Chris
I wish!

Can you find out if/when and what network is going to televise it?

Some good photos in their gallery. Check out the registration list. Cyril Depres and Dick Burleson are entered.

http://www.redbulllastmanstanding.com/

Fred screwed with this post 11-30-2006 at 11:02 AM
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #288
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer: 12,204
I girlfried of mine just got one of the red and white ones "Preproduction sample" and i think I'm going to ride it this afternoon .

do you guys want me to take any picture of it...?

or is already old news...??
Old 11-30-2006, 11:28 AM   #289
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Ricky,
Pics are always good. We are all really interested in whether or not it has EFI and if so how it performs. Any feedback on that would be great. Thanks Ricky and enjoy the Husky ...

Dan
buffallodan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #290
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Ricky,
Pics are always good. We are all really interested in whether or not it has EFI and if so how it performs. Any feedback on that would be great. Thanks Ricky and enjoy the Husky ...

Dan
If Mia is at home this afternoon (she does not know so far) i will ride it today if she is not I will need to wait for the weekend.
Old 11-30-2006, 07:38 PM   #291
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Sad and more sad news about the
2006 Husky's

Well first i was unable to ride (will be until next week)

Lamme picture i know.

Big Shivers

But the New Gets even wrost, ..

If this bikes are Fuel Inject I have no idea why the spend so much work to make look like a carburator..

Well also this bike is a Five something or other maybe the 610 will be diferent , but that sound kind of silly to me to make some injected and then some carburated.

awesome looking engine.

for sure is a far more detail bike than the old ones.

love tank cap detail.

the Sachs shock for sure look very Serius,

wide wheel for sure.

more pictures when she come back hopefull with her on top riding like a "MadMan" she is good for sure ,much better than i will ever be..
Old 11-30-2006, 08:10 PM   #292
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,031
Thats lookin like a sweet SM510, & yes they are carberated, only the 610's are getting injection, My 06 TE510 has no lack of power, get it jetted (jd kit), desmogged & remove the throttle stop. No need for injection, starts easy, goes like a bat outa hell when ya get silly with the throttle hand, no hesitaion, no bogging,, just velcro your butt to the seat & hold on,,, ear 2 ear grin, beginning to end

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #293
Ricardo Kuhn
a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
,>>> only the 610's are getting injection<<<
Sorry that i did not know..
Old 11-30-2006, 08:41 PM   #294
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

I don't think you will be dissapointed, the only place injection would be better would be in extreme elevation changes & severe temperature changes, it stands to reason slightly better fuel economy. Bigdogs bike ran flawlessly thru all the changes with NO Jetting issues. Just something to keep in mind, Gaspipe had to make an adjustment on his XR, luckily he had the edelbroc on & it was a 2 minutes adjustment

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Old 12-01-2006, 03:10 PM   #295
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
Filler Cap on the 510

It would be sweet to fit that 510 filler cap on the 610. One could pitch the gascap key.

PS: My dealer is absolutely convinced there is no such thing as a 2007 EFI TE610. We'll see who's full of S$%^!
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 10:10 PM   #296
newcastlebrown
cars suck

Oddometer: 680
[quote=Ricardo Kuhn]

If this bikes are Fuel Inject I have no idea why the spend so much work to make look like a carburator..

quote]

Motor looks ready for fuel injection. You can see were the f/i trigger would read the cam gear at the water pump, the lug is there, ready to be tapped.
newcastlebrown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 03:45 AM   #297
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
CAM Sensor boss

Ricardo: I totally missed what you were pointing out the first time. That is definitely a cast in boss for the cam sensor. They spent a lot of $$ to have that in the casting. The other sensors for EFI, like air temp, crank position either already exist for the ignition, or are part of the air cleaner. I hope they don't do like BMW & Bosch...the fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator are all in one..and cost $100. A DL650 Suzuki with EFI has a $180 fuek filter. May I say that carburetors are CHEAP by comparison?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:58 PM   #298
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Fashionably Late

Hey Dan and all,

Well this post is a long time coming and I apologize for interrupting the flow and just blurting it out like this. I've been an '06 TE610 owner since March of this year and I've been meaning to sign in for a long time (no real good excuse except maybe that a wheelie thread happened to me and, well, that's another story). My last bike was a new '82 KDX 175 and then job, wife & babies happened. Holy Christmas, that's 24 years ago... I really didn't understand how much I missed riding until I got this bike. I knew I wanted a dual sport and spent the last two years convinced the DR400S was the bike. Then one Thursday in March I learned of the TE, went and saw it on Friday and put down my deposit on Saturday. Nothing against the DR it's just this bike spoke to me in ways that's hard to convey. I'm sure the last 20 pages are full of praise (I'm only half through it all, it will be good winter reading) so I won't repeat other than to say, "Oh my goodness what a great bike this is!!!"

As for mods I've done very little. In fact I rode a majority of the season without even a skidplate. I finally put one on from Utah Sport Cycle and I'm very pleased with the quality, fit-up & look of it. The Up-tite one sounded very cool when available but the $ was a little steep. I also put on a Wolfman enduro tool kit (http://www.wolfmanluggage.com/Enduro/EnduroTool.html) and am very pleased with it. The only other thing I have done is remove the EPA can etc. I have ~2880 miles on the bike as of today and I am in desperate need of new tires which I plan to put on this winter sometime before spring. I'm considering Pirelli MT21s or the Maxxis DualMaxx (I realize tires can be a touchy subject but if anyone can tip the scales for craggy New England trial riding I would be very grateful to read your opinions ). Other mods I have planned for this winter is to drop a tooth on my CS sprocket to 14t and put on some Moose Racing bash guards. My neighbor has the same bike and we installed them on his taking some drilling tips from Big Dog (thanks). So that's it for mods.

So with all that being said I thought I could throw up some pictures but the quality varies from ok to suck-wad so I apologize in advance.

My first big adventure was on Memorial Day weekend. My buddy has a place in VT so I took that Friday off and rode from my house (south of Boston) to VT for the long weekend (wife and kids came up later by car). I cannot begin to tell you how excited and nervous I was to make the trip. As a kid we rode on the street but it was only for a few minutes and we were always looking over our shoulders for cops. Now we can come out of the woods and keep going and it's legal! I still get a little rush when I ride by a cop on my TE. Anyway the trip was amazing, a real milestone for me and here are some photos:

The rest of my season included another trip to VT and plenty of local trail riding. Ironically, for as liberal as MA is, they have state land that is dedicated strictly to motorcycle use. There are actually signs posted at the trail heads saying, "MOTORCYCLE USE ONLY", how often do you see that? There is something magical about spending 3+ hours on tight single track then emerging onto civilization and blasting home 45-55 MPH letting the wind bleed off all that summer heat. I would honestly say I spent 50% of my time on the street and 50% on trails and the bike performed beautifully on both. It's exactly the experience I thought it would be.

Ok, almost done here so I thought I'd throw in a few more random shots for good measure. Notice the before and after skidplate wheelie photos:

So there you have it, I'm signed in and it feels great! Almost as good as it feels to be back among the living with a cool-ass dual sport in the shed. I swear, sometimes on weekends when I've had a few beers and it's late I'll go out in the shed, put the light on and just sit on her and pat the gas tank. Hell, I even talk to her. Jeez, talk about a cry for help, but I'm ok with that.

Well, thanks again Dan and everyone else on this thread & forum for sharing all your great experiences etc. These are good times men, good times!

-TEd
'81 Husqvarna 250XC

Ted West screwed with this post 12-21-2006 at 05:26 AM
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:41 PM   #299
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

congrats on the bike & it looks like you are riding it the way it's meant to be ridden , great pix

06 Husky TE510
Old 12-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #300
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
congrats on the bike & it looks like you are riding it the way it's meant to be ridden , great pix
Nice of you to say, thanks!
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote