User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #6256
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,941
Mcct

Anyone running the APE MCCT yet? I'd like to hear how installation went and if the bike seems quieter/smoother right away..
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 04:36 PM   #6257
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
I just checked and mine is about to give way. It has two cracks almost all the way through
Sad to hear about the cracks. Mine is a '08 and had one small crack in less that 2500 miles. Everyone should find a welder and have this fixed ASAP. Its a easy fix and only took me 1/2 hour to weld. Geek's was a little longer as his was broke all the way off.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #6258
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down
I hope someone can put my mind at ease on this one. I just completed the 2nd service on my 08, and everything is awesome ( valve clearance, bag filters, etc.). The issue I have is that I can only get 1.5 quarts of oil in to get the level in the middle of the sight glass. The manual states 2.11 quarts... What's the deal? I put 2 quarts of oil in during the first service I performed, and after I let the bike rest from running it, the level filled the entire sight glass (and then some). I ended draining enough out to where the oil was to the upper mark on the sight glass.

Is this normal? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Look at the container, see if it a Liter not a quart. If it's a Liter then you need 1.75 Liters with oil and filter change. Just went through this yesterday
Old 06-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #6259
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I hope someone can put my mind at ease on this one. I just completed the 2nd service on my 08, and everything is awesome ( valve clearance, bag filters, etc.). The issue I have is that I can only get 1.5 quarts of oil in to get the level in the middle of the sight glass. The manual states 2.11 quarts... What's the deal? I put 2 quarts of oil in during the first service I performed, and after I let the bike rest from running it, the level filled the entire sight glass (and then some). I ended draining enough out to where the oil was to the upper mark on the sight glass.

Look at the container, see if it a Liter not a quart. If it's a Liter then you need 1.75 Liters with oil and filter change. Just went through this yesterday
Old 06-24-2008, 05:42 PM   #6260
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

Look at the container, see if it a Liter not a quart. If it's a Liter then you need 1.75 Liters with oil and filter change. Just went through this yesterday.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #6261
Aey dubya
Thumper Humper

Oddometer: 355
Oil change / Bag filters

To clean the right side bag filter I pull the whole right side of crank case? Do the oil filter and oil pump come off still in tacked with it?
Aey dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:20 PM   #6262
Geetz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw te610
To clean the right side bag filter I pull the whole right side of crank case? Do the oil filter and oil pump come off still in tacked with it?
Yeah, you have to pull the clutch cover off. I just did this for the first time at 2400 miles and there was *nothing* in the bag filter. The big double one on the other side has had small metal shavings in it both times I've had it out.
Geetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:54 PM   #6263
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 780
My Manual CCT is in....

Quote:
Originally Posted by asaracho
Anyone running the APE MCCT yet? I'd like to hear how installation went and if the bike seems quieter/smoother right away..

Installed my manual CCT today....but probably shoulda waited. Am not the most mechanically gifted and I just came off a 48 hour watch, 24 on a busy ambulance followed by 24 on a busy engine company. And then I ran a bunch of errands includung picking up a Harbor Freight tire changer from inmate TMH for $40....

The CCT adjuster is nicely machined. Pulled off the tank and exhaust heat shields, withdrew the auto tensioner. My bike has 1500 miles on it, I counted 15 clicks exposed. I have only put about 150 street miles since picking the bike up recently, I have been travelling a lot.

I noticed the auto tensioner is recessed on the inside, causing a raised area on the gasket, but do not anticipate any leaks. Not sure if one could mistakenly install it upside down but take a look at the old one before pulling entirely off.

Pulled the 3" crank cover off, not sure if oil would come out...it did. At $16 a quart for the synthetic stuff Monroe Motors recommends I should have had a clean container to catch it in but I didn't. However I probably lost only half a quart, it come out slowly.

Unfortunately I could never at any point in the first attempt "feel" any of the chain or adjuster making contact, I just could not tighten any further with fingers only. Closing my eyes and cranking the engine faster resulted after several phases of tightening/loosening the manual CCT bolt and I could "kinda" feel contact, but over an area of maybe two complete adjuster bolt revolutions, pretty subtle in my fatigued state.

The very brief instructions on the pacakage state to back off 1/4 turn at first contact, so I will do this over next free chance I get, no way I am going to start the engine with it as it is, I still feel i have it adjusted too tight. No way could I feel contact and then gradual increase in chain tension as I though i read elsewhere. Intructions do not state whether engine should be cold or slightly warmed up, so mine was cold.

I was also wondering if it might prove useful to come up with a chart based on user reports, of how many exposed threads on the manual CCT visible externally, is "roughly" equivalent to "clicks" on the old aut CCT, as far as judging chain wear and replacement intervals. But as it was difficult for me to ascertain contact between the cct and chain there could be a difference in individuals' adjustments for the same tension and wear.

No pic here, but I adjusted my auto CCT to 10 clicks (I think) and adjusted the length of the new manual CCT by comparison (eyeball, not measured accurately) and it seem that with the lock nut tightened that 9 exposed threads on the manual CCT bolt were equal in internal bolt length to the auto's 10 clicks which people seem to feel is time for a new chain.

Still with me? Anyway i'm off to get some ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz's. hopefully someone far more adept here can give some decent instructions on getting the manual CCT properly set.

BTW the manual CCT nuts requires a 16mm wrench, pretty sure that is a first for me using a 16mm, I started with a 17mm as my 15mm was too small, finely realised and found I actually had a 16mm wrench and was able to use a 16mm socket to keep the bolt from moving as I tightened the lock nut.

Removing the exhaust would make things easier but I could not be bothered

Hope this made some sense

I have a couple pix if I can get them compressed will post them.

deepcdiver screwed with this post 06-24-2008 at 07:02 PM
deepcdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #6264
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Now that this thread has some 6000 odd posts, anyone got some ideas on how to split it up a bit?

With the size of it, we could almost do with our own folder, but in the meantime, could we:
Rename this thread to:
Husqvarna TE-610 2007 Owners Thread
and create a similar one for other year models?

There is another one already for suspension, but i wonder are there other categories that could do with their own thread?

Any ideas?

Buffalodan, you created this Monster, what do you think?

David
Old 06-24-2008, 07:09 PM   #6265
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

two cct's
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #6266
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

installed
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2008, 07:15 PM   #6267
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPorte
Look at the container, see if it a Liter not a quart. If it's a Liter then you need 1.75 Liters with oil and filter change. Just went through this yesterday.
The oil is actually in 1 liter containers (though it also states 1.056 Qt.). I still have 1/2 a container of oil left... . I am going to let the bike lean hard to the right like George suggested on my next change and see what happens then.

Thanks all for your input!
Low Down is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM   #6268
Aey dubya
Thumper Humper

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdiver
Installed my manual CCT today....

The CCT adjuster is nicely machined. Pulled off the tank and exhaust heat shields,

Pulled the 3" crank cover off, not sure if oil would come out...it did. Unfortunately I could never at any point in the first attempt "feel" any of the chain or adjuster making contact,

Removing the exhaust would make things easier but I could not be bothered
Pulling the carb is much easier than pulling the exhaust, and makes cct access easy. just two(?) bolts and the air cleaners loose and then one hose clamp at the intake and the carb and air box can be flopped over the upper frame as one unit.

Also if you put the bike on a crate or center stand of sorts you can just put it in a high gear and turn it over with the back wheel so you don't have to loose any oil at the crank.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:23 PM   #6269
Aey dubya
Thumper Humper

Quote:
The oil is actually in 1 liter containers (though it also states 1.056 Qt.). I still have 1/2 a container of oil left... . I am going to let the bike lean hard to the right like George suggested on my next change and see what happens then.

Thanks all for your input!
There are European Quarts, From the old english system. My motorex "OIL OF SWITZERLAND" comes in them and there bigger than U.S. quarts.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #6270
Aey dubya
Thumper Humper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geetz
Yeah, you have to pull the clutch cover off. I just did this for the first time at 2400 miles and there was *nothing* in the bag filter. The big double one on the other side has had small metal shavings in it both times I've had it out.
So does the oil pump and filter come off with it? Just loosen all case bolts right side pull off and don't worry nothins gonna fall out of place?