Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2008, 12:47 PM   #7636
angrymutt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
angrymutt.
Do you have the phone number or web site for George at Uptite?

Thanks.
(714) 540-2920

I don't think his website is up yet
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 PM   #7637
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman1
mrkatoom

Do you know the Husky color codes for the three wires.
I threw my diagram away so I'd have to go back and look to be sure which colors are hi and lo beam. For sure white is one and black the other. Blue is ground and brown is power for the little running light. That's 4 leads altogether, with the blue, white, and black to the main headlight.

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 01:28 PM   #7638
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymutt
Haven't ridden the bike for 2 weeks waiting for parts and repairs to fix a messed up clutch and broken woodruf key. Just checked the dreaded cam chain tensioner and found it is at 11 clicks (@6400 miles). Now the weather outside is great and I wanna ride. Conventional wisdom says I should change the chain or probably f-up the engine. However I can't do it until I get new water pump and case gaskets (already ordered and expected next week).

According to George at Uptite who I just spoke to the critical measurement for the cc tensioner isn't the number of clicks out, it's the number left.

So my question is, how many clicks are there on the tensioner all together? (Total minus 11 = number of clicks left...).

Should I ride my bike until the gaskets arrive in a few days or should I stow it until the parts arrive (and miss a few more days of riding )?

I apologize for bringing up a topic I know everyone hates.
I think 10 clicks might be about the full limit of safe adjustment. Some have had the chain start hitting the internals (reed) about there or just beyond I think. Do a search on this thread. Keep us posted.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM   #7639
advjackass
orange crusher

Oddometer: 936
i have questions?

what do i need to do to set one up for hard riding in Baja?
i understand the 08's suspension does not have clickers?
how about not having a kickstart? that bothers me. other than that how is the durability?
thanks
advjackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:04 PM   #7640
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
Without the clickers on the 08 forks not much you can do. But otherwise it's setup close enough. You won't ride 9/10ths or 10/10ths anyways, being so far from home so it's nothing to worry about. Washboards galore though so you might want to bring along some extra subframe mounting bolts Pack light and don't overload the subframe.

I've never missed not having a kick starter. There's usually a hill or a friend that makes a good substitute

Really, nothing to worry about - just go
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #7641
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
hey all,

Docking Pilot and the boyz should be in Baker NV tonite. I left them in Green River UT two days ago, had to bail out and am on my way back to CT (somebody has to work for a living!). The ride has been awesome, did three passes in CO (Marshall, Cinnamon, Ophir) and one in UT (Geyser). All southern CO passes got snow; we missed it by two days. Weather has been good (raining right now in Guymon, OK however). No bike issues with anyone (seven in all), Frank's and my Husky have been perfect. I am burning up what's left of my D606 on asphalt in my race back to Tulsa, where my truck is. Frank and his Jersey crew have been awesome to ride with. Be back in CT in a few days.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #7642
Svart
...is swedish for black

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Green
Anyone else have their bike peeing on them?

I parked the other day after five hours of riding and the overflow tube that comes out front/center (on my 08TE610) had a couple drops come out. "No biggie" I think. I came out after dinner and it had made a wet spot about 8 inches in diameter. That seems a little much.

Anyone else have this happen?

Cheers,
Anders
The gas tank has an anti overfilling vent, but it sounds like you handīt just filled it with gas. Fill the tank too much it and will leak through a hose and end up on the ground.

Overpressure in the gas tank happens to me all the time but itīs usually the filling cap thats leaking. And not as much as yours. Have you found out what happened? Itīs not likely to be the carb, thats for sure. :)
Old 09-12-2008, 10:59 AM   #7643
cvgphil
on the road

Oddometer: 49
valve tap

my valve tap is pretty constant now. anyone know if it is ok to ride on it like that. This is my first experience with a thumper, so any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone feel like walking me through the process of checking the vavles would be greatly appreciated. Can't be that hard, but I wonder about the amount of tools I'm carrying and I have not been able to locate that service manual over at Thumper talk. Anyone willing to help me actually do the valves? Beer, anyone? Recommendations on shops that might be able to do it?

I am riding past Butte, MT right now and no Husky shops near. The BMW shop in Missoula doesn't do Husky. He says why would we work on Husky..I say 'because BMW bought Husky'

I figured out what the vibrations were. When the bike is lightly loaded it just goes, when heavily loaded it vibrates alot and tries to go.

Thanks, Phil
cvgphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 02:25 PM   #7644
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgphil
my valve tap is pretty constant now. anyone know if it is ok to ride on it like that. This is my first experience with a thumper, so any advice would be appreciated.

Anyone feel like walking me through the process of checking the vavles would be greatly appreciated. Can't be that hard, but I wonder about the amount of tools I'm carrying and I have not been able to locate that service manual over at Thumper talk. Anyone willing to help me actually do the valves? Beer, anyone? Recommendations on shops that might be able to do it?

I am riding past Butte, MT right now and no Husky shops near. The BMW shop in Missoula doesn't do Husky. He says why would we work on Husky..I say 'because BMW bought Husky'

I figured out what the vibrations were. When the bike is lightly loaded it just goes, when heavily loaded it vibrates alot and tries to go.

Thanks, Phil
If it's your valves clattering I wouldn't ride it until they are checked and adjusted. It's actually pretty easy to do once you understand what you are doing. The hard part is getting to it, but that's a good way to get familiar with your scoot. There are basically 3 parts to the job:

1. Getting access to the valves.
Some stuff you remove (plastic, tank) and others you swing out of the way (rads, cables, catch tank, etc.).

2. Find TDC compression stroke.
Good info here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94861

3. Set the clearances to spec.
You'll need a feeler guager to get in there, preferably one like the Motion Pro that has a rigid center shaft and angled tip.

Oh yeah step 4 would be to button it up, but that is obvious.

Good info in the 610 thread index. See the link in my sig below.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:17 PM   #7645
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvgphil
my valve tap is pretty constant now. anyone know if it is ok to ride on it like that.
Have you checked your counter-balancer nut? Mine got pretty loud before the key sheared. It sounded like piston or top end but it was the gear hammering on the key.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #7646
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom
I threw my diagram away so I'd have to go back and look to be sure which colors are hi and lo beam. For sure white is one and black the other. Blue is ground and brown is power for the little running light. That's 4 leads altogether, with the blue, white, and black to the main headlight.
I hooked up the Baja Designs Enduro light and the colors from the Husky are:

White = high beam
Black = Low beam
Blue = ground

Light puts out a much stronger beam than my modifyed Husky OEM light.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:50 PM   #7647
rhino_343
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 2,128
folding mirrors

Hey fellow Huskites I found these really good folding mirrors on ebay. The guy who sells them is a nice bloke and he also sells universal mounts and some deluxe shaped version for the pimps amoungst you. These ones do well for me though:

They were US$29 each and he can be contacted at either hb7@ca.rr.com (his name is henri) or look up the ebay listing at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...mZ110287511980
Tenere XT600 34L 1983 classic
rhino_343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:55 PM   #7648
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
So what happens when you leave Aspen at 10pm and take a TE610 down a black diamond single track in the rain at 2 a.m. ??

Thought you guys might get a kick out of the story here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383898

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #7649
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,025
Where can one buy this decal set?

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:30 AM   #7650
OutbackNV
Likes dogs

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhino_343
Hey fellow Huskites I found these really good folding mirrors on ebay. The guy who sells them is a nice bloke and he also sells universal mounts and some deluxe shaped version for the pimps amoungst you. These ones do well for me though:

They were US$29 each and he can be contacted at either hb7@ca.rr.com (his name is henri) or look up the ebay listing at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-R...mZ110287511980

I've been planning to order a couple of these. The seller is a member here and has been getting great reviews in this thread; http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=357336
OutbackNV is offline   Reply With Quote