Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #7666
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Time for a new Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom
I think they ran those zip-ty's over the top subframe crossmember to hold the battery up. Are you just using the plastic, or did you hit something else with the ties?

mrkartoom.

You are not gonna believe this.

My original '06 battery bit the dust today. After all that work.

I knew this was gonna happen, so I had a new one in the shop.

Your comment made me re-think a few things.

I decided to re-route the zip ties.

This is showing the ties before the new battery was installed.

Notice the ties will be in contact with the bottom of the battery and around the top of the sub frame. I hope this takes some additional stress off the battery tray.

I also wanted to make sure the battery poles were not in contact with the sub-fame, so I added a wooden shim.

This seems to be a much better idea.

She is all buttoned up with a fresh battery and additional support.

Thanks, mrkartoom, for making me re-think this.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 08:03 PM   #7667
hodgecobbler
formerly Palmczak

Oddometer: 166
Rollins Pass from the West

Probably last ride in this area for me for 2008

The wife and riding buddy she is really getting into the DRZ. She asked me "what does a better pipe do?" How cool is that???

An old train tressle in the backround.

Road has about 6" of snow I followed the tracks of a 4 wheeler for a while hoping that when I got around to the east side of the mountain it would get better, then I cam accross where the four wheeler turned around. I went a bit further but it was not getting any better so I turned around also.

Joe
Old 09-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #7668
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmczak
How are you liking the new tire setup. I am trying to make to winter with my existing front. You went with a MT21 front right? (actually hoping fall lasts long enough to force me to buy a new one)

What psi are you running the Tflex @ I keep mine about 13.
As per Indy's advice I'm running a Michelin Desert in the front with the Terraflex.

I started the flex at 12psi but went up to 14 without feeling a difference (hoping to make it last a little longer on pavement). The desert I'm running at 18psi. In fact for the slab portion home I put 30psi in both (150 miles of pavement.. ugh) and they still handled ok.

A thing about setup:

I had my bike dialed in with the old tires and the luggage. Sag set for the extra weight on the rear, etc. Switched to the new tires and the thing was handling like crap; just couldn't get it to go where I wanted. The natural assumption with how it felt was too much weight in the rear with the luggage; though with the old tires I could ride it as though the luggage wasn't even there.

I figured Indy knows his stuff so its likely not the tire combo (although thats what it felt like). I thought about it for a bit and realized that the front tire is actually quite a bit lighter than the one I had on it and the rear is a LOT heavier... so the unsprung weight has changed.

I ended up taking 3 clicks of compression out of the front and adding a click of compression and rebound to the rear and VOILA.. the bike was back on rails.

Just food for thought.. before you give up on a tire combo; make sure your suspension is setup for the weight of those specific tires!
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #7669
bashadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I have been going through painful dialogue with Rob Keith, BMWNA regarding his promise to deliver comp adjusters, which was a part of a deal to purchase my scoot. After two weeks of waiting, the're still not here. In part, his latest email is the following:

"We, Cagiva USA, the importer distributor for the brand from 10/97 to 7/1/08, were not made aware the adjusters had been deleted form the 610 models until they were in consumer's hands. When I queried management at the factory, they told me I was wrong, and that the forks were unchanged form the previous year - they recanted the next day. Clearly the decision was made at the production level and never "bumped-up" the line.

When I voiced my displeasure, I was simply told is was a cost saving
effort and that as clearly stated in the owners' manual "specifications
can change without notice", (this is true), and that they will not comp
us (no pun intended) the adjusters. Starting three weeks ago, the entire Husqvarna operation began being packed-up and shipped out the brand's new owner's warehouse. As I sure you know, BMW bought the brand lock stock and barrel."

I'm assuming that the transition from the old facility to the new one is responsible for the delay in getting comp adjusters. I told Mr. Keith that I found it remarkable that LT Racing has outfitted '08 TE forks with comp adjusters (RAMZ, for example) and he could not seem to obtain them and it was a demonstration of the convoluted mess that Husky is in. I believe Rob is a good guy, trying to make good on his word and will give him more time, even though the summer is half over. I trust I am not compromising our correspondence as I believe he would tell the same story for all who have the same questions or want comp adjusters. For all that hold out hope that BMWNA is or can do something about "comping" comp adjusters, forget it.

I am delivering my forks to the Factory Connection in NH on Monday on my way to Maine (I spoke with Tim, their ace technician, who was very accommodating) with or without the comp adjusters. Tim believed he could work his magic, starting with softer sprinds and re-valving. I am picking them up on Wednesday, coming back from Maine, what service! Timberline Adventurer, mabey we can hook up for lunch, I'll be in Portland by noon on Monday. Keep y'all posted. Sorry about the formatting, I'm too lazy to change it from the cut and paste job.....

Mine aren't fitted yet but are being done under warranty one has arrived at the dealer but one is yet to get there but I had no problems getting them to do it just parts availability is disgraceful in Australia on the sunshine coast
bashadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 AM   #7670
bashadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddler
I keep hearing folks get excited over the low air intake on these things. I was wondering if anyone has actually had a problem with water in the motor and not fallen down.

Today I did some deep water with the bike, but I did put some duct tape over the two lower air intakes on the cover out of paranoia. Now I'm wondering if it was necessary.

So has anyone actually drowned their te610?
Did it the first week I had it water crossing going well until the front wheel went under and it went until the edge and then the water got in it was deep as it got in the top of my boots. After inspection and drainage I got the biggest session of backfiring you have ever heard in between every gear (pretty funny at the time). I am currently working on putting higher intakes on a standard box and sealing the base ones properly with a valve system for the drain at the base. Will post pics if it is successful.
My local dealer gave me the perfect excuse when they over tightened my cover screws and stripped the nutserts so I will try to keep the old box and lid to modify.

bashadv screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 12:30 AM
bashadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 05:31 AM   #7671
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 828
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroFreek
Hey mrkartoom, nice to see you at the NE gathering! Did you find your key?
Hope you got back home OK and enjoyed the event.
Look forward to seeing you at some of the other events.
Pete
Yep it was right where I left it. Thanks again for the bike loan. You da' man!

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:04 AM   #7672
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
Any pictures of an 09 would be great as well.
Check it out: http://motocrossdigital.com/
Aug and Sep 08 issues.

And also this nice brochure:
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/Tools/download.aspx?lng=3&file=%2fupload%2fPress%2fdownload%2f101_215_5.pdf&name=ENDURO+Product+Guide+UK+. pdf

Here's the tiny url for the brochure: http://tinyurl.com/5rxchk

ramz screwed with this post 09-15-2008 at 02:58 PM
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 AM   #7673
drrags
Dorkus Malorkus

Oddometer: 1,810
That's a good shot. At first glance it looks like a rider for Ghengis Khan wielding a battle axe. I had to look twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmczak
drrags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM   #7674
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
mrkartoom.

You are not gonna believe this.

My original '06 battery bit the dust today. After all that work.
I do believe it. Sorry to hear it though. +1 on the good write up.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #7675
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrags
That's a good shot. At first glance it looks like a rider for Ghengis Khan wielding a battle axe. I had to look twice.
Did you just call his wife a battle axe? I see your point though.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM   #7676
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

You guys see this yet?

Good news . . . . .

SCOT HARDEN JOINS HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES NA, LLC AS NATIONAL SALES AND MARKETING MANAGER. Intent on Reviving Prestigious Brand in U.S.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – September 8, 2008…Scot Harden, a 26-year veteran of the off-road motorcycle industry and AMA Hall of Fame inductee, has joined Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC as National Sales and Marketing Manager. The move brings Harden’s professional and racing career back to where it began – at Husqvarna. Prior to his 20-year career spearheading corporate marketing strategies, product development and sales for KTM North America, Harden was a regional sales manager for Husqvarna and, later, Cagiva, which purchased Husqvarna in 1987. For the past two years, he has been general manager of KTM Adventure Tours, a company he launched in 2006. Harden also enjoys iconic status as a motorcycle racer with credits that include African Rally Champion and two-time Dakar Rally Veteran, three-time Baja 500 and Baja 1000 Overall Champion, three-time ISDE Medalist – US Trophy Team Member and two-time AMA Amateur National Offroad Champion. In October, he will be inducted into the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Hall of Fame for his off-road racing accomplishments on Husqvarna motorcycles. “I am delighted to welcome Scot to the Husqvarna leadership team,” said Mark Brady, President of Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC. “He brings a unique combination of industry insight and off-road racing expertise to the process of re-igniting the Husqvarna brand in the U.S.”. In his role, Harden will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing activities as well as creating a broader infrastructure to enhance sales of the legendary marque. One of Harden’s first orders of business, according to Brady, will be to organize Husqvarna Motorcycles NA’s first dealer meeting in 20 years. “This is a great opportunity to take Husqvarna’s rich heritage and build upon it with the impressive resources of BMW to create a fresh new brand identity,” commented Harden. “I am fortunate to have been part of the company’s heritage as well as its future.” Harden will maintain offices in Woodcliff Lake, NJ, where Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC is headquartered, and Southern California, where much of the off-road racing community is centered.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #7677
BigAls
oldinidaho

Oddometer: 167
good news

This is really big news for Husky riders! 09 should be the year of the Husky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom
Good news . . . . .

SCOT HARDEN JOINS HUSQVARNA MOTORCYCLES NA, LLC AS NATIONAL SALES AND MARKETING MANAGER. Intent on Reviving Prestigious Brand in U.S.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – September 8, 2008…Scot Harden, a 26-year veteran of the off-road motorcycle industry and AMA Hall of Fame inductee, has joined Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC as National Sales and Marketing Manager. The move brings Harden’s professional and racing career back to where it began – at Husqvarna. Prior to his 20-year career spearheading corporate marketing strategies, product development and sales for KTM North America, Harden was a regional sales manager for Husqvarna and, later, Cagiva, which purchased Husqvarna in 1987. For the past two years, he has been general manager of KTM Adventure Tours, a company he launched in 2006. Harden also enjoys iconic status as a motorcycle racer with credits that include African Rally Champion and two-time Dakar Rally Veteran, three-time Baja 500 and Baja 1000 Overall Champion, three-time ISDE Medalist – US Trophy Team Member and two-time AMA Amateur National Offroad Champion. In October, he will be inducted into the American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) Hall of Fame for his off-road racing accomplishments on Husqvarna motorcycles. “I am delighted to welcome Scot to the Husqvarna leadership team,” said Mark Brady, President of Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC. “He brings a unique combination of industry insight and off-road racing expertise to the process of re-igniting the Husqvarna brand in the U.S.”. In his role, Harden will be responsible for developing and implementing marketing activities as well as creating a broader infrastructure to enhance sales of the legendary marque. One of Harden’s first orders of business, according to Brady, will be to organize Husqvarna Motorcycles NA’s first dealer meeting in 20 years. “This is a great opportunity to take Husqvarna’s rich heritage and build upon it with the impressive resources of BMW to create a fresh new brand identity,” commented Harden. “I am fortunate to have been part of the company’s heritage as well as its future.” Harden will maintain offices in Woodcliff Lake, NJ, where Husqvarna Motorcycles NA, LLC is headquartered, and Southern California, where much of the off-road racing community is centered.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:15 PM   #7678
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Another main shaft gone south

There was a post a while back where all the splines that hold the front sprocket on were gone. I just went to put my chain back on this weekend and found a huge amount of slop on the front sprocket. I tested with a new front CS and it seems the shaft and sprocket are wearing at the same rate. The new CS had no free-play when placed over the end of the shaft but had half the play of the stocker when in position.
Have any of you guys found any slop on the front? I'm wondering if a loose chain might cause this.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #7679
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
There was a post a while back where all the splines that hold the front sprocket on were gone. I just went to put my chain back on this weekend and found a huge amount of slop on the front sprocket. I tested with a new front CS and it seems the shaft and sprocket are wearing at the same rate. The new CS had no free-play when placed over the end of the shaft but had half the play of the stocker when in position.
Have any of you guys found any slop on the front? I'm wondering if a loose chain might cause this.
That sucks Hoder. I remember the posts of that shaft wearing. What's yer street/dirt ratio? I wonder if the lack of a cush hub could be part of it. I know we have a cush clutch, but I also wonder if that does as good a job.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:11 PM   #7680
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Actual milage is probably 40% street but those are mostly highway miles. I generally only flog it in the dirt. I don't know how many miles are on the bike but I'm pretty sure it's under 5K.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote