Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2008, 06:04 PM   #7756
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
turn it counterclockwise until it finds a home, then clockwise
Thing is, after the numerous indiscretions I subjected my cap to, it was so shwacked it wouldn't snap into home. The inclusions in the case threads didn't help either. You needed a surgeons touch to fiddle it into a starting thread.
Attached Images

Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:26 PM   #7757
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlizard
My broken stand is being repaired today. I decided to not just wait on a new one since it will be at least a couple of weeks. My last bike without a built in stand of some kind was a Greeves. Awkward. Anyone care to post a picture of a successful reinforcement design?
Here is what I did to mine. Added in a few inches and braced where the tube meets the end at the top. I just made sure I put the brace far enough forward to clear the spring. It's a lot stiffer now, and I can get on like a horse without bending it, which is good with a big tail pack.
After all the work I hit it with some rattle-can primer. Looks like it needs hit again!
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:30 PM   #7758
motometal
i like motorcycles

Oddometer: 3,443
watch those footpeg bolts...they tend to come loose and/or fail at inopportune times! Take apart, grind the mating surfaces flat, replace with better bolts (I used allen head), and locktite.
motometal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #7759
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
watch those footpeg bolts...they tend to come loose and/or fail at inopportune times! Take apart, grind the mating surfaces flat, replace with better bolts (I used allen head), and locktite.
I remember you bringing this up before, and I checked everything then and found no problems, but they are cheap bolts. I upgraded the sub-frame bolts when I mounted the Dirtbagz because one was bent. 'Spose I better do the pegs.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 PM   #7760
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,954
Quote:
I lost a footpeg bolt on a casual ride yesterday, about 10 miles from my house, so was able to get home with minimal bother. I looked but never found the bolt on the dirt road.

Later, after removing the three remaining bolts, I was dismayed to see the poor mounting surfaces - frame and peg brackets. I filed everything to a straight and smooth finish, installed new lock-tited bolts, and torqued to 26 ft-lbs. I feel much better now. I now carry two new spare bolts in my 'kit'. What a relief to have it fail so conveniently and now to have it fixed so nicely.

I poo-poo'd the suggestion to check this all out earlier; I shoulda' heeded your warning.

Now what else did I miss
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:12 PM   #7761
crillyiv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashadv
I keep noticing in the photos of all the new US bikes that they seem to come with square indicators and mine came with funky little led ones that are tucked away. Is this the case and I wonder why?
nice pic's

I imagine the differences are because of different national lighting and reflector regulations.

dis aliter vissum

Don't Panic

2007 950 SE
2010 TE 510
crillyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #7762
crillyiv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I just came back from a western TAT ride with DockingPilot and his Jersey crew and ran a 48/15.
Have you guys started a ride report yet? I've been waiting for you guys to do this trip and tell us about it.

dis aliter vissum

Don't Panic

2007 950 SE
2010 TE 510
crillyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #7763
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Crillyiv,

Quote:
Originally Posted by crillyiv
Have you guys started a ride report yet? I've been waiting for you guys to do this trip and tell us about it.
I haven't even washed my bike, let alone started a ride report! I have been culling through my pictures and doing some editing. I intend to look at my .gpx files tonite so that I can try to relate the pictures to the proper location. When we crossed the southern Rockies, the scope and immensity of everything just sort of ran together, especially around Cinnamon Pass and Ophir Pass. I should get something out this week. All of Frank's crew took some manner of digital photos or movies and they all (and myself) will contribute to Frank's report; I will be doing my own as well.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:31 AM   #7764
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Here's a teaser photo of us (minus Duayne on his KTM) at the top of Cinnamon Pass, 12,640 ft. Duayne was outstanding by always being the last one; we had a rider go down coming off Ophir Pass; it was steep with broken shale and rock. If it wasn't for Duayne and John, Tony would have been unable to pick up his loaded down KLR safely and get back on track. Frank, his "jersey crew" and Tony Hugo from ID were awesome to ride with.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:36 AM   #7765
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Three days later, Ophir Pass looked like this (looking West to East):

Old 09-21-2008, 04:57 AM   #7766
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Quote:
Here's a teaser photo of us (minus Duayne on his KTM) at the top of Cinnamon Pass, 12,640 ft. Duayne was outstanding by always being the last one; we had a rider go down coming off Ophir Pass; it was steep with broken shale and rock. If it wasn't for Duayne and John, Tony would have been unable to pick up his loaded down KLR safely and get back on track. Frank, his "jersey crew" and Tony Hugo from ID were awesome to ride with.

Almost forgot Tony; he and his KLR are not in this photo either.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #7767
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,095
Quote:
Tony Hugo
Huegel ..........

We're back ! Dennis, I'll ride anywhere with ya brother.
I have to edit video, sort photos and give my family some time before the report starts. It will be a good detailed one though so patience, my sons, patients.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #7768
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Dp,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Huegel ..........

I told you I was a certified idiot. First I call the poor guy Tom, now I screw up his last name....................
Old 09-21-2008, 03:39 PM   #7769
greenlizard
adventure lite

Oddometer: 131
lagcam,

Thanks for the repaired kickstand photos. Mine is now in for the second try. This time I left the bike with a friend so the new stand can be properly fitted. I'll post some pics if it works out.
greenlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #7770
Svart
...is swedish for black

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT
Just walked in from the garage, had an interesting thing start happening as I rode home from work. The neutral light began blinking regulary about every second. Shifting, turning the blinkers off and on, starting the bike turning off the key etc. haven't changed the blinking. I just used the search function on our thread with no success. Any others had this happen? Tomorrow I will start playing with the battery and trying to check the wiring...
Mine did this once too. It went away by itself after turning the engine off trying to figure out what was going on, haven´t seen it since. No idea what it was...