Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2007, 07:34 AM   #826
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
Guys I'm not sure if this is the place but it seems to be. I did a search.

I'm looking for a replacement for the Karoos. Mine are almost done at 1000 miles. It must be the volcanic dirt we have in the desert here.

For me the Karoos handle fine but if I could find something a tad more aggressive that would wear as well I think I could go for that.

I'm about a 70/30 - dirt/road
The front Karoo sucked for me, I put on a Michelin nobby on the front after only about 300 miles, I have tried on the rear the Michelin "DESERT"(worked great, expensive about 1000 mi.), a Perelli MT21( worked okay but only about 800 mi) rear and the Dunlop 606( lasted the best so far, 1200 miles, works great)
I ride about 80-90% dirt, I have 4300 miles on the clock , just put another M12 on the front and a new 606 on the rear, It is the best buy IMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:16 AM   #827
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
and a new 606 on the rear, It is the best buy IMO
I've got a 606 rear on the way right now, I've had great luck with them in the past. So far I'm happy with the Karoo front, we'll see as I get some miles on it.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:37 AM   #828
NotEnufGarj
Jon

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
I'm looking for a replacement for the Karoos. Mine are almost done at 1000 miles. It must be the volcanic dirt we have in the desert here.

For me the Karoos handle fine but if I could find something a tad more aggressive that would wear as well I think I could go for that.
I streched the Karoos out for more miles than I like to admit, but I thought they worked okay on dry slick and rock, but if a drop of sweat hit the trail in front of you it was all over.

I put on the 606's front and rear and so far I like them, but I only have about 200 miles on them.

I would recommend having the shop install them. Being the old off-roader I am I did them myself and was hating myself just after letting the air out of the rear. What a pig!

Jon
NotEnufGarj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:40 AM   #829
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Question tire fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
...I put on a Michelin nobby on the front after only about 300 miles ... the Dunlop 606 (lasted the best so far, 1200 miles, works great)
Robert - which Michelin did you mount up front?

Re the rear: Was the 606 a 130/90-18? The side knobs on the 140 Karoo on my bike touch the chain, so a slightly narrower tire would be good.
Also, Dunlop recommends a 3.0" rim - any issues with the 2.5" rim on the 610?

Thanks, Larry
levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:51 AM   #830
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
It's some head/Indian thing I found somewhere. Is it offensive or does it conjure up strange primordial thoughts?

It's supposed to be...you know, natural looking but a touch abstract.
Offensive? Heck no. I just skeered me a little that's all.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:05 AM   #831
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Guys I'm not sure if this is the place but it seems to be. I did a search.

I'm about a 70/30 - dirt/road
Michelin Baja is a very tough DOT knobby for the rear, I ride probably 80/20 gravel roads/pavement. I got over 2500 on the rear and it still had about a 1/4 inch of tread left. The drawback it is it is super noisy on the road, my friends could hear the tire coming before the bike on the pavement.
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:48 AM   #832
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Ya know, I think I am going to try the Baja if it will fit. It looks good for around here. Anyone ride this one in the woods?

Baja Link
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 11:57 AM   #833
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Robert - which Michelin did you mount up front?

Re the rear: Was the 606 a 130/90-18? The side knobs on the 140 Karoo on my bike touch the chain, so a slightly narrower tire would be good.
Also, Dunlop recommends a 3.0" rim - any issues with the 2.5" rim on the 610?

Thanks, Larry
No issues with the stock rim, I put an S12 on the first time and an M12 this time,
R
Also I was told I should get 2500 out of the Michelin DESERT but took it off at about 1/8" left (1000 mi)
I guess I spin too much, too much of having fun.

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 12:01 PM   #834
larryboy
Paint it black.

I really wanted to give the Metzler Six Days Extreme a try, but I know nothing about it. Played it safe and went with the 606 that I know will get me some miles.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:54 AM   #835
ThatGuyEd
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 591
I planning on putting the Teraflex on after these Karoo's are gone...

Those big lugs will be nice in the Muskeg up north......
Anybody have experience with this?

Also, is there a fuel mixture screw on the bike somewhere? My bike idles pretty quick, 19-2000 RPM...Any way to adjust this without taking the carb off? The black knobbed twisty adjuster is all the way in...
ThatGuyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 09:34 AM   #836
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyEd
I planning on putting the Teraflex on after these Karoo's are gone...

Those big lugs will be nice in the Muskeg up north......
Anybody have experience with this?

Also, is there a fuel mixture screw on the bike somewhere? My bike idles pretty quick, 19-2000 RPM...Any way to adjust this without taking the carb off? The black knobbed twisty adjuster is all the way in...
Mark (Bigdog), had them on, he could give you best report, used them for his TAT ride, thinkin he said he loved them right up until it was time to remove, then he woulda been happy with a stick of dynamite jammed in between the Terrorflex & the wheel

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:38 AM   #837
larryboy
Paint it black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyEd
The black knobbed twisty adjuster is all the way in...
Turn it out and the idle will get lower.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #838
ThatGuyEd
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 591
I thought it was the other way around.....

I'm an
ThatGuyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #839
9Mile
Leaving the world of HD

Oddometer: 65
Just about to pull the trigger....

I hope this is an appropriate post for this thread... I had researched several bikes in this class and determined that the 610TE was the best choice. I was just about to place my order and the question about why I didn't consider the 510TE was asked. I really didn't have an answer, which isn't characteristic for me! I had looked extensively at the KTM 525 as a competitor and ruled it out (price, valve adj., oil capacity, etc...) but everything else in the "500" class fell off the radar. I currently own a KTM950 Adventure and find it a little too much on tight single track and am looking to add to the arsenal. So how about some info on why the 610 is a better choice than the 510. Right off the top- I noticed the 510 has kick and elec. start and offers quite a weight savings. Just looking for some feedback on which bike and why? As always I appreciate any light you guys can shed on this subject. Thanks!
9Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #840
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Mile
I hope this is an appropriate post for this thread... I had researched several bikes in this class and determined that the 610TE was the best choice. I was just about to place my order and the question about why I didn't consider the 510TE was asked. I really didn't have an answer, which isn't characteristic for me! I had looked extensively at the KTM 525 as a competitor and ruled it out (price, valve adj., oil capacity, etc...) but everything else in the "500" class fell off the radar. I currently own a KTM950 Adventure and find it a little too much on tight single track and am looking to add to the arsenal. So how about some info on why the 610 is a better choice than the 510. Right off the top- I noticed the 510 has kick and elec. start and offers quite a weight savings. Just looking for some feedback on which bike and why? As always I appreciate any light you guys can shed on this subject. Thanks!
510 maintenance is similar to the KTM 525, they are both plated race bikes, if 300 to 500 mile oil changes don't bother you, then its not an issue, also the TE 250\450\510 & the KTM 450\525 are not really recomended for long highspeed (65 to 80 mph) pavement duty, I have no doubt they could handle it, but it's not recomended, the TE 610 is just cruising along saying ho hum, it's a true 50\50 dualsport bike, the others would be more in the range of 90\10 dirt\pavement

P.S. once the TE valves are seated & properly adjusted, they stay that way for a long time, I've read of owners going well over 2000 miles with no additional adjustments needed after the initial one (500 to 1000 miles)

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote