Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #8431
Svart
...is swedish for black

Oddometer: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I already know how using ALT keypad but here's your dance if someone else wants to sing a song?
You provided the dance, I´ll do the singing:

Old 11-11-2008, 04:34 AM   #8432
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
One more n00b question.....

Did the balancer nut torque thing get straightened out for the 07's???

Interesting.... I spoke to 2 dealers today trying to find this out and neither one of them had ever heard there was any problem.
I wouldnt worry about it. Chances are it'll never go south. But if it does you'll know it right away. If you have the rightside cover off you can have a look at it and see if there is any slop, if so take it off, inspect the key and replace and re torque. Again, probably a non issue. But yes, there have been a few 610's, and a very few of them 07's that had this issue. Easy to fix though. If your going on a long trip with the bike, then maybe check it, if your riding local, dont sweat it. Chances are very good, you'll never have to worry about it

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:39 AM   #8433
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I think that's when I first got the APE tensioner and was fiddleing with it trying to figure out the proper tension. I decided to put the auto CCT back in for the time being. I just replaced my cam chain last week and will be running the APE now, using the stocker as a dip-stick to monitor the wear and re-adjust as needed. Sorry I won't have any real info on wear until next summer.
Hoder, is it me or after replacing the cam chain with a fresh one, the motor is smooth as silk and quiet too ha ? I mean, my girl is running better than the day she left the maternity ward. Too bad it's flippin winter now.
And for those that are counting, yea your not crazy (maybe I am though) I now have 2 used 610 cam chains hanging on my trophy wall. 1st, 9 clicks, 2nd @ 8

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:29 AM   #8434
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by sTE610vE
The only other oil filter I know off hand is a Hi Flo HF154
Thanks,,,, I'll see what I can come up with. I did get a HF/KN 154 when I picked up the bike just to have in case I needed one. I noticed that there are 2 numbers on it. One of the numbers I suspect may be the original manufacterers number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
I wouldnt worry about it. Chances are it'll never go south. But if it does you'll know it right away. If you have the rightside cover off you can have a look at it and see if there is any slop, if so take it off, inspect the key and replace and re torque. Again, probably a non issue. But yes, there have been a few 610's, and a very few of them 07's that had this issue. Easy to fix though. If your going on a long trip with the bike, then maybe check it, if your riding local, dont sweat it. Chances are very good, you'll never have to worry about it

That's kinda what I was thinking. It seems alot of these things get blown out of proportion on the internet. The thing that perplexed me was I know the one dealer I talked to had a friends SM in for this repair/fix

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:02 AM   #8435
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,684
Quote:
Hoder, is it me or after replacing the cam chain with a fresh one, the motor is smooth as silk and quiet too ha ?
I was shocked how quiet/smooth mine is
The combination of valves adjusted and chain make the engine feel brand new.

Out of curiosity Frank, how many miles are you going on average between valve checks?

Since putting the chain in I've gone on exactly one, 1 hour ride. I absolutely RIPPED on it on purpose... drag race start with rev limiter in every gear, power sliding through birms in 3rd gear, wheelies, jumping it 30 feet with the engine pegged, going from full throttle to chopped throttle, etc etc..

I was way harder on it than I normally would be... on purpose: If there is a way from riding to get the tensioner to "early click" mine will have grabbed some teeth.

Today I'm going to try and get time to pull the tensioner out and see how many clicks a brand new chain can have on it after a hell-ride...

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #8436
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I was shocked how quiet/smooth mine is
The combination of valves adjusted and chain make the engine feel brand new.

Out of curiosity Frank, how many miles are you going on average between valve checks?

Since putting the chain in I've gone on exactly one, 1 hour ride. I absolutely RIPPED on it on purpose... drag race start with rev limiter in every gear, power sliding through birms in 3rd gear, wheelies, jumping it 30 feet with the engine pegged, going from full throttle to chopped throttle, etc etc..

I was way harder on it than I normally would be... on purpose: If there is a way from riding to get the tensioner to "early click" mine will have grabbed some teeth.

Today I'm going to try and get time to pull the tensioner out and see how many clicks a brand new chain can have on it after a hell-ride...

So out of curiosity as a DR650 rider who might have a 610 someday,replacing the cam chains is good and all but how long do the sprockets last that the chains run on? How long does a mechanic take to replace a cam chain on a 610? Nothing else seems to have reared its head as a maintenance issue on these has it? Thanks for your patience.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #8437
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
So out of curiosity as a DR650 rider who might have a 610 someday
You Too? I won't tell the DR guys I saw you here if you don't mention that you saw me here.
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #8438
2WheelsOnly
woodsrider

Oddometer: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger
...replacing the cam chains is good and all but how long do the sprockets last that the chains run on?
I've wondered the same thing about the cam chain sprockets. The shop manual says to replace sprockets and cam chain as a set. Most folks sound like they only replaced the cam chain.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #8439
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Hoder, is it me or after replacing the cam chain with a fresh one, the motor is smooth as silk and quiet too ha ? I mean, my girl is running better than the day she left the maternity ward.
Heh, to be honest I haven't even started it. I'm giving her a complete facelift. I might be able to tell if she runs smoother but as for power I won't know - I dropped 2 teeth on the CS and finally added a Leo
Whacking the throttle on the street with that combo should be an eyeball peeler.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:46 PM   #8440
shovelhead
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by North
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has an " X2 Eclipse HID headlight" on an 08 TE 610? And if they do. How is it working?

Thanks
I bought one for my 08 te610 from Motosportz and i love it. Its great on the trails and much better on the street than the stock piece of crap. It doesn't have a true high and low beam. the smaller light is more focused and shines farther away and the bigger light is great for trails it shines wider but not as focused . they both shine about the same height and when you switch between the 2 it takes about 15 or 20 seconds for the beam to light up. I am going to rewire mine so the smaller beam stays on all the time, but right now i have them wired like stock. If i pull the high beam flasher swith and hold it for 15 seconds then switch from low to high i dont get left in the dark while the beam heats up. It is a great light and i would recomend it highly.
shovelhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:04 PM   #8441
Aey dubya
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
additional gauges

Stole this info from the DR thread. I might eventually get some of these.

Digital Voltmeters

http://www.digitalmeter.com/cgi-bin/...=configspc.txt

WATER TEMPERATURE GAUGES

DIGITAL OIL TEMPERATURE GAUGES

http://www.jetsrus.com/a_parts_atv_mx_street/gauges.htm
Aey dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:34 PM   #8442
strongbad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 475
I ordered a digital voltmeter directly from Datel many years ago for my Honda VFR. I bought their LCD display model, though. I thought that the LED display would wash out in sunlight.
strongbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:13 AM   #8443
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,663
Baja Designs Tecate HID

This may be old news to some---but maybe this light needs talked about again as I've had the thing on my bike for a couple years---so it might be interesting to hear about it again after some long--term testing.

Its the Tecate HID from baja designs--which also has a smaller halogen on top available in 3 different wattages. I think the HID is a 250 watt equivalent with a small draw of 40-50 watts ??

Also integrated into this thing (special order--you have to request this or it won't come with it)------I included a tiny 4 watt bulb in with the Hid so I can preserve watts if I want to but still maybe keep the man off of me.

So I have 3 lights in this thing-----my early production 06 model headlight switch lets me choose between 1. Off 2. Itty bitty 4 watt 3. 75 watt halogen or 4. My Hid

I run the Halogen as a low beam and even tho it is not DOT---it points kinda down and I have never had any body flash at me in the dark.

OK---maybe that's old news from me---but the new news is that it has work flawlesssly and I'd buy another one in a minute----it's that good.

I've ridden with guys with the trailtechs and after using mine I was astounded how slow the trailtechs fire up---really slow.

This tecate is almost instant. A guy riding with me who had the trailtech was astounded how fast mine fired up-------don't know why--it just does.

We rode at night quite a bit on this last ride I went on---and it's really fun if you can see---but no fun if you can't.

Any way--here the thing is on my ole' wore out Husky
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:58 AM   #8444
toddler
Unpronouncible

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogAdventures.com
Its the Tecate HID from baja designs--which also has a smaller halogen on top available in 3 different wattages. I think the HID is a 250 watt equivalent with a small draw of 40-50 watts ??
I've ridden with guys with the trailtechs and after using mine I was astounded how slow the trailtechs fire up---really slow.

This tecate is almost instant. A guy riding with me who had the trailtech was astounded how fast mine fired up-------don't know why--it just does.

We rode at night quite a bit on this last ride I went on---and it's really fun if you can see---but no fun if you can't.

Any way--here the thing is on my ole' wore out Husky
Two thumbs up on the Baja Designs Tecate light. The HID really lights up the distance and the top light is a wide beam for close up. The top light gets really hot and someday I may switch it over to an HID. I aim mine for fast trail riding and cover it with my hand on the road if someone is coming the other way. It is not a very friendly aim

I wired mine into my 2008 TE610 to be both on with high beam and both off with low beam. I had the light on my XR650R before and so it has 14+K flawless miles total on it now. I do tend to break the mounts due to vibration/crashing. But 3 mounts in 14+K miles is okay with me.

It has saved a friend from a deer hit as he saw the deer much sooner. Missed the deer by less than a foot at hiway speed. Whew!

toddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 02:56 PM   #8445
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,320
Document storage on TE610?

Where are the TE610 owners storing documentation (registration, proof of insurance) on their bikes? Best I came up with on short notice was putting them in the tool bag, with the tool bag under the seat behind the battery.