Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #886
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
Could someone point me to a tutorial or tips on adjusting the valves on the 610. I need to do it, and just don't have time to search. TIA
Someone recently asked the same question here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...23#post4547723. Post #3 should have everything you'll need. The first link there is part of Creeper's valve thread for LC4s but it worked perfectly for me. Good luck!
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM   #887
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Great pics Ted! Awesome style on that rocky uphill!
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:02 PM   #888
Ted West
n00b-ish

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Great pics Ted! Awesome style on that rocky uphill!
Cool, thanks man. Like I said, I feel bad I'm in my pictures but I usually don't have a camera and when I do the pictures come out terrible so the only worthy photos I have are taken by someone else of me. I guess I just hate to be the, "Look at me! Look at me!" guy. But in the end I posted because I enjoy the pictures on this thread because I never get tired of seeing all the places this bike goes. I realize it's a heavy bike but there's something about the geometry and power that makes it feel so right in the woods. I never find myself thinking, "If only this wasn't a dual sport" or "If only it was lighter". My point is there is very little compromise while on this bike and when you're done you can still buzz home at 70 MPH.

Here's to cake and eating it too!
'81 Husqvarna 250XC
Ted West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #889
JBird
Retriever

Oddometer: 792
What rear suspension settings are you guys running at what weights. The owners manual is messed up on the rear shock setup!

The 610 might be the perfect dual sport!!!!
'08 Goldwing
'98 Golden Retriever
JBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #890
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted West
Someone recently asked the same question here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...23#post4547723. Post #3 should have everything you'll need. The first link there is part of Creeper's valve thread for LC4s but it worked perfectly for me. Good luck!
Thanks. And your pics are geat! Looks like you are giving the 610 a good workout in the MA. rocks. I plan to ride the D/S ride in the Berkshires this Sunday, so I'll try some of the hero sections and see how it goes. I'm used to a two stroke in the woods.

Gary
06 TE610
01 BMW 1150GS
01 GasGas EC200
97 MotoGuzzi 1100 Sport
95 KTM 250 EXC (for sale)
motogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #891
StevenLane
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New TE610 owner

I bought an 07 TE610 at the end of last year. I haven't been offroad in more years than I want to count but it comes back real quick. Surely has nothin to do with this awesome bike, huh. I've not ridden these other ds bikes everyone compares to the TE610 but from all I've heard, I know I made the right choice. I've learned a lot from everyone here and look forward to keeping up and hopefully having something worthwhile to share. I think I made some progress on the Battery Overcharge indication, and I guess I should find that thread also?
StevenLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:19 PM   #892
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
What kind of a stand are you fellers using to prop up your bike? I'm a pretty fit guy for my age but I don't really feel like horking it up on one of those standard stands.

So I bought one of the kind with the pedal that just lifts it up but it doesn't get it high enough and the rear tire still drags hard making chain maintenance less pleasant than I'd like.

Any idears?
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #893
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
What kind of a stand are you fellers using to prop up your bike? I'm a pretty fit guy for my age but I don't really feel like horking it up on one of those standard stands.

So I bought one of the kind with the pedal that just lifts it up but it doesn't get it high enough and the rear tire still drags hard making chain maintenance less pleasant than I'd like.

Any idears?
I use a craftsman atv/motorcycle jack it is awesome, no lifting just pump it up!
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:21 PM   #894
Stroker Ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hello Steven Lane... What did you do about the Batt Icon??? a lot of us put in a 45/45w headlight bulb, problem solved........

Cheers
Stroker Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #895
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:

Any idears?
I've got a version of this from pep boys that is cheaper and works really well, it will lift both wheels of the ground several inches and is secure.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00950190000
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:28 PM   #896
Stroker Ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hello Husky 123: Did you get your headlight figured out??????
Stroker Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #897
papple
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
Motorcycle Lift

Sears has a new all aluminum cycle lift that is simply awesome, pricey but awesome. I've used it on my FLTR, R1150GSA, Dyna Racebike and last but not least my TE610. It's very light and comes with it's own built in carrying handle.
The platform has extentions for a taller bike like the TE or can be used without them on my Dyna with less then 3" of clearance. Priced at about 160.00 give or take a couple of bucks. I got mine at 10% off with a additional 15% off for opening a Sears credit card which I promptly destroyed when it came.

Harbor Frieght also has a similar unit but I've never tried it out. They look a lot alike and I wouldn't be surprised if they were made in the same factory.

Ride Safe,
Papple
papple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:19 PM   #898
StevenLane
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroker Ace
Hello Steven Lane... What did you do about the Batt Icon??? a lot of us put in a 45/45w headlight bulb, problem solved........

Cheers
I read about the 45 watt bulb but didn't know the results. I couldn't find a 45 so I put in a 60/60. I know someone wrote that the 60 was to hot. I should know soon. I won't mind replacing the lens with something stronger if I can keep the bright light. As you mentioned it appears to be problem solved. I still have one issue about the Battery Icon. My original headlight bulb had substantial carbon tracks on the base. One path led between the filament posts and the other led from one of the post to ground on the side of the bulb. It's been a lot of years since I worked with electronic components but a carbon path from B+ to ground is the same today as it was years back. There is no doubt in my mind that there has been current flowing to ground in my headlight socket. Why was a fuse not blown? Was the amount of current to great for 35 watts causing it to seek ground or was the bulb bad? If 35 watts was not enough load for the current produced, why did the problem not go away completely when hi beam was turned on causing the load to be greater than your 45 or my 60? I have seen comment that the problem is not as bad for some people when their hi beam is on. I have a gps to mount and have become spoiled to heated grips in my old age. A day without tunes ain't much fun and surely I will see something foolish like lights or dual fans for cooling that will demand even more power. If there was a bad batch of 35w bulbs, it would explain why some bikes have the problem and some don't and it would explain why new batteries and regulators don't seem to help. If thats not the case, many of us will likely find serious challenges when we try to add even a couple of life's necesities. I still have my original bulb and a new 35/35 that I intend to try tomorrow in hopes of pinning down the problem. I am not convinced we know the actual problem even though replacing bulbs appear to be a fix. I hope we can determine that the original 35w bulbs were bad because I don't see how higher wattage bulbs can be conclusive even though the symptoms go away.
StevenLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:41 PM   #899
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,043
Iused a stand very close to the sears unit, but had to make a small platform to get both ends up high enough off the ground

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:24 AM   #900
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted West
because I never get tired of seeing all the places this bike goes. I realize it's a heavy bike but there's something about the geometry and power that makes it feel so right in the woods. I never find myself thinking, "If only this wasn't a dual sport" or "If only it was lighter".
Me too. Keep the pics coming of the places you guys take your 610.
I'm also amazed at how this thing feels for a 350lb (with gas) DS.
I have wished it was a 250 a couple of times but if it was a 250 I wouldn't have been where I was out in the middle of nowhere. It's the right bike.

Quote:
What kind of a stand are you fellers using to prop up your bike?
$39 ATV jack from Schucks. I made a platform from some lengths of 2x4 & a piece of plywood so when fully lowered it's just a couple inches from the skid plate. It lifts the rear tire about 8 inches off the ground.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote