Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #9091
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
My 2 cents on the whole seat thing. I sent my seat off to Guts Racing. I asked for the tall-soft seat and a standard cover. In less than a week I had my seat back and although my wallet is $130 lighter, my monkey butt days are gone! Guts Racing is top shelf and there turnaround time is amazing.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #9092
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
ralf: you might like the Michelin Desert for that
I swear by the Michelin Desert for the rear tire but the front is one of the worst tires ever, I like dunlop 756 for the conditions ralf is talking about or 742 RR
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:47 PM   #9093
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlking6
My 2 cents on the whole seat thing. I sent my seat off to Guts Racing. I asked for the tall-soft seat and a standard cover. In less than a week I had my seat back and although my wallet is $130 lighter, my monkey butt days are gone! Guts Racing is top shelf and there turnaround time is amazing.
any photos please?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #9094
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
I swear by the Michelin Desert for the rear tire but the front is one of the worst tires ever, I like dunlop 756 for the conditions ralf is talking about or 742 RR
Funny; I have the opposite view. The Michelin Desert was scary for the first 100 miles until it deglazed but now I love it. I've between 1500 and 2000 miles on it and the center knobs are still square

I did have to completely re-adjust my suspension to get it to hookup but once I got it right for how I ride its been really good. Exceptional even considering how long its lasting. I'll buy it again.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:18 PM   #9095
juanbalam
Quest for bikedom

Oddometer: 50
I've used Pirelli MT21 in all conditions for thousands of miles and love them... specially the front one... will last a loooong time and it will grab black top like a slick... I use it for enduro riding as well... you can't go wrong with it.

Balam
Old 01-21-2009, 08:29 PM   #9096
juanbalam
Quest for bikedom

Oddometer: 50
One more thing... slippery turns are scary with any tire. If you are seated too far back, for example, the front tire will tend to go south... or west... or both at the same time. If you don't lean the bike enough into the turn (wich is counter intuitive as hell) the same thing will happen...

In short no tire will perform well if the proper technique is not used.

My other 2 cents
Old 01-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #9097
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Funny; I have the opposite view. The Michelin Desert was scary for the first 100 miles until it deglazed but now I love it. I've between 1500 and 2000 miles on it and the center knobs are still square

I did have to completely re-adjust my suspension to get it to hookup but once I got it right for how I ride its been really good. Exceptional even considering how long its lasting. I'll buy it again.
Maybe I didn't give it long enough,I know not more than 200 miles.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:39 PM   #9098
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
any photos please?
Here's a couple

The mark is just a smudge that I didnt notice before I took the picture. It wiped right off. I've put Guts seats on all my bikes and they are very high quality. you can order the parts and do it yourself and save a little on shipping, and I did that once, but I dont think its worth it. They do the install for free as long as you ship them your seat and in my case anyway they did a much better job.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #9099
Geek
oot & aboot

looks comfortable.. do you have a view of the full bike with it on?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:39 PM   #9100
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
looks comfortable.. do you have a view of the full bike with it on?
Heres one, I can take a better one tomorrow and post it up.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #9101
Fizz
Fizz

Oddometer: 168
Front Sprocket + Rear Wheel Nut Torque

Guys,

(i) I just changed the front sprocket on the 2006 TE to 14 teeth (down 1) for better steep dirt up-hill; the existing sprocket had hooked teeth; bike has only done 3,500kms but know previous owner did tough hills. I am not going to replace chain or rear sprocket as they still look in very good condition. You guys see any problems not changing chain + rear sprocket too?

Front sprocket is only held on by a circlip in a groove - wtf????? I think I will get a 'case saver' for front sprocket - any others done this?

(ii) rear axle torque in online manual says 142.1 Nm; this seems VERY high - I have a torque wrench and I put bulk strain to get it at correct torque; my f650 Dakar is only 100Nm for the rear wheel. TE nut/socket is 24mm and Dakar 22mm in size; are you guys using a torque wrench or guessing it?

Thanks in advance
Fizz
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #9102
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
Guys,

[...]

Front sprocket is only held on by a circlip in a groove - wtf????? I think I will get a 'case saver' for front sprocket - any others done this?

Thanks in advance
Fizz
I actually like that system. I used a circlip on my DR650 and it never failed.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:47 AM   #9103
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:

I agree 100%. The Michelin Desert front is awesome for dual sporting. I use it on my KTM for hard off road trails and on my Husky on moderate trails without any performance issues! Geek may have a good point on adjusting your bike for the best set up.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:53 AM   #9104
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz
Guys,

(i) I just changed the front sprocket on the 2006 TE to 14 teeth (down 1) for better steep dirt up-hill; the existing sprocket had hooked teeth; bike has only done 3,500kms but know previous owner did tough hills. I am not going to replace chain or rear sprocket as they still look in very good condition. You guys see any problems not changing chain + rear sprocket too?

(ii) rear axle torque in online manual says 142.1 Nm; this seems VERY high - I have a torque wrench and I put bulk strain to get it at correct torque; my f650 Dakar is only 100Nm for the rear wheel. TE nut/socket is 24mm and Dakar 22mm in size; are you guys using a torque wrench or guessing it?

Thanks in advance
Fizz
In general I go thru 4 front sprockets before I change the rear. The chain should be fine. Once you notice the front sprocket hooking replace it and you will get much better chain life. I just torque down the rear axle by feel. I use a 1/2" driver and put as much force as I can with my one hand and that seems to work just fine. I change wheels a lot going from motard and back to dirt wheels weekly.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:51 AM   #9105
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
In general I go thru 4 front sprockets before I change the rear. The chain should be fine. Once you notice the front sprocket hooking replace it and you will get much better chain life. I just torque down the rear axle by feel. I use a 1/2" driver and put as much force as I can with my one hand and that seems to work just fine. I change wheels a lot going from motard and back to dirt wheels weekly.
once again I'm just the opposite I tear rear sprockets up while it seems my fronts last forever.