Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2009, 12:45 AM   #9466
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
Don't try to remove that brass fitting in the intake manifold; nothing good will come of it. But DO carry a spare vacuum plug; they tend to crack with age. And it's real hard to see the crack.
Hmm, my fitting turned right out, no problem. I stuck a short screw in there with sealant of some sort on it-don't remember what. So far so good.

I fabri-cobbled a new rack tonight at work. I bought a piece of 3/16 sheet aluminum from a local supplier, and had them shear it 13" x 11" (it came out to about 12.8 x 11, but close enough).
Then some measuring and simple math and I had a hand drawn blueprint. I used some toolmakers ink to show my scribelines, then center-punched and drilled by hand. I sanded the radiused corners in, as they were sheared sharp. Also sanded the edges to get rid of the shear marks. Then da'd the top to make it pretty. Now I need to make 4 risers to mount it on.
I'm thinking about getting it anodized. A friend of mine has the means to powder coat also. Or maybe I'll just leave it as is. Not sure...

Quite the difference in size. Here the mounting holes are lined up.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:07 AM   #9467
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
I have no proof but I was told so by someone in the industry and then heard it again from a fellow motorcyclist completely independently.

My bike was running amzoil when I bought it, I switched to Mobil 1 15/50 and have had zero issues the last 7000 miles.
Sold...next Oil to go in my bike will be Mobil one 15-50. I'll report back if that fixes the issue.
thanks all.
niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 AM   #9468
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,633
The local walmart's price went up from $23 to $26 per gallon.
Sure beats $16/quart though!
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:41 AM   #9469
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
Hmm, my fitting turned right out, no problem. I stuck a short screw in there with sealant of some sort on it-don't remember what. So far so good.
I fabri-cobbled a new rack tonight at work. I bought a piece of 3/16 sheet aluminum from a local supplier, and had them shear it 13" x 11" (it came out to about 12.8 x 11, but close enough).
Then some measuring and simple math and I had a hand drawn blueprint. I used some toolmakers ink to show my scribelines, then center-punched and drilled by hand. I sanded the radiused corners in, as they were sheared sharp. Also sanded the edges to get rid of the shear marks. Then da'd the top to make it pretty. Now I need to make 4 risers to mount it on.
I'm thinking about getting it anodized. A friend of mine has the means to powder coat also. Or maybe I'll just leave it as is. Not sure...
Quite the difference in size. Here the mounting holes are lined up.
Looks good!
What you going to put up there, A small block Chevy?
Try this paint. It sticks to Al. great and is very tough:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...UMA-HYDE~%20II
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #9470
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
Looks good!
What you going to put up there, A small block Chevy?
Try this paint. It sticks to Al. great and is very tough:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/sto...UMA-HYDE~%20II
No SBC, but my Alaska B tailpack was just too much of a pain to strap down to the teeny stock rack. I need to beef up the sub a little, but no problems then, I'm hoping.

Thanks for the aluma-hyde tip - I didn't even think of that. I used it once years ago to refinish a Springfield lightweight champion frame. Very good stuff, just takes a while to cure.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #9471
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramz
Don't try to remove that brass fitting in the intake manifold; nothing good will come of it. But DO carry a spare vacuum plug; they tend to crack with age. And it's real hard to see the crack.

So what kind of problems should I be looking for??? I removed the brass fitting and found a stainless bolt to take its place when I performed the canisterectomy... I think the bike runs just fine.

Low Down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #9472
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Down

So what kind of problems should I be looking for??? I removed the brass fitting and found a stainless bolt to take its place when I performed the canisterectomy... I think the bike runs just fine.

Keep an eye on your rear sproket bolts. It took red locktite to keep mine tight. If you have an 08 then the plastic fuel pump fittings are a recipe for disaster. I went ahead and modded mine after I broke one of them.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 PM   #9473
Low Down
ADV Misfit

I'm not sure that touches on what ramz was talking about... but mine is in fact an '08, and it's running great!
Old 02-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #9474
KyEd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Question

I think he was getting at possible problems during the removal of the brass fitting. If it comes out with no problem and you get a bolt back in there it should be good. If the the fitting breaks off during removal.. could get interesting.
KyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:32 PM   #9475
Low Down
ADV Misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyEd
I think he was getting at possible problems during the removal of the brass fitting. If it comes out with no problem and you get a bolt back in there it should be good. If the the fitting breaks off during removal.. could get interesting.
Um, yeah.......

Any bolt can give you grief when you back it out... I'll wait to hear from ramz why this brass fitting should not be messed with.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #9476
ramz
Professional Trail Rider

Oddometer: 1,942
Sorry for the false alarm. I was only trying to caution others about taking the brass fitting out. I've broken several brass fittings trying to remove them from carbs. The soft brass often gives rather than unscrews. If you got it out and replaced it with a bolt, you're good to go. I'll stick with the vacuum plug until I get the head off some day and can get a better angle on the fitting.

I'll be more careful about raising alarms in the future.
ramz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:48 AM   #9477
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlking6
Keep an eye on your rear sproket bolts. It took red locktite to keep mine tight. If you have an 08 then the plastic fuel pump fittings are a recipe for disaster. I went ahead and modded mine after I broke one of them.
Funny the rear sprocket bolts has taken this long to pop up! Are they Not a PIA? I too take BIG notice of them, after riding one day and wondering why I was getting so much lash in the drive...Damn Bolts! mate asked" why are you checking them all the time? " two weeks later he's ringing me asking if I knew where he could get a rear HUb for his CRF450! Yep..he didnt check His, bolts got torn out, Hub got chewed up and near demolished the casing to go with it. Needless to say, mate now regularly checks sprocket bolts.
niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:41 AM   #9478
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 9,785
TE610 in Sandblast Rally

Hey guys, just wanted to tell my experience running the Sanblast Rally last Saturday. I placed 15th over all and 7th in my class, Medium Stock. I'm not a real competitive person and compete in the rallies to have fun for the most part. I just purchased this bike back in November and with the crappy weather in the NE have not had much of chance to get much seat time. I only had about 300 miles on it at the start of the day. New bike, lack of practice and very little experience in the sand..... I can do better. In any case I was happy with the placing and had tons of fun. On the longer stages I was able to catch a BMW HP2 and stay right with him but didn't have enough to get by him. And posted similar stage times with BMW 450's ridden by guys with the same ability as myself.

Performance wise the bike is bone stock. No jetting, pipe or any tweaking was done in advance. Suspension was for the most part stock also except for sag adjustments and minimal comp/rebound adjustments. The bike performed flawlessly all day and took everything I handed it. At times I was wishing for more power. In the softer sand I wasn't able to get in 6th and fifth was hitting the limiter.I think with jetting and piping it will be able to pull 6th.

Tires were Motoz Deserts. These tires were perfect for this event and were on the overall winning bike (KTM950SE).Very predictable!! I ran 9psi front and 18 rear. Probably install bead locks as I was concerned with ripping the tube all day.

The longest leg was 69 miles and I came into service just as the light came on. With jetting and pipe it may use more fuel in general but the power increase may mean that I can pull the taller gear and save fuel in the end.

I think I'm going to do a dyno run before anything is done for a base and tweak it up from there.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:51 AM   #9479
Low Down
ADV Misfit

ramz, thanks for the clarification... I was kind of surprised when you said not to touch the brass fitting.

Carry on...

Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 AM   #9480
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman
Tires were Motoz Deserts.
... more info please