Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #9511
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
For those suffering cabin fever... we did the Elephant Ride last Sunday.
We attempted to summit a 12,000 foot pass (Guanella Pass) in Colorado. We made it to just about 11,000 feet (tree line) before we could not get any further.

Here's the mandatory Husky content

Here's the ride report if you are bored: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431285

...and here is the video I put together from the drunken party the night before (we camped out... -7 degrees)

&nbsp
&nbsp

Liquid Courage at Midnight in a Freezing Colorado Stream from topgeek on Vimeo.
I keep showing my wife your pictures and telling her "I am going to go move to Colorado and ride with this guy every day".
After watching that video I am getting second thoughts!!!
Oh yeah, thanks by the way, I will now have that song stuck in my head for the rest of the day!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #9512
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,002
..that song is the ultimate ear-worm

That's not me in the video.. I was the guy laughing my arse off on shore
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:55 PM   #9513
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
For those suffering cabin fever... we did the Elephant Ride last Sunday.
We attempted to summit a 12,000 foot pass (Guanella Pass) in Colorado. We made it to just about 11,000 feet (tree line) before we could not get any further.
Here's the mandatory Husky content
Here's the ride report if you are bored: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=431285
...and here is the video I put together from the drunken party the night before (we camped out... -7 degrees)

Liquid Courage at Midnight in a Freezing Colorado Stream from topgeek on Vimeo.
How bout a photo of your cold weather riding clothing. Not that I would need it much here in sunny south Texas, just kind of inerested.
Thanks
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #9514
Boatman
Ride more, BS less!

Oddometer: 10,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by niknteen
What our friends in the US call deserts are generally refered to here as H/T tractionator, deserts because they're primarily intended for use in runs ike the FINKE or the OZ Safari..When the desert is sparse, the tyres seem to MELT away..I have 350 klm o one at present, riding hard rocky /shale and "some " Blacktop, Awesome grip on the Hard rocky/shale, NOT so good in teh Slippery stuff, then being on the rear..Hmmm More throttle please...

There were 3 of us running the Deserts at Sandblast, my Husky , a KTM 400EXC and the overall winner, a KTM950SE. We did some research beforehand and fully expected the tires to show significant wear but were surprised when they did not. Even on the 950 the wear was minor. It seems that the more they heat cycle the stiffer the rubber gets.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 01:32 PM   #9515
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
damping rod tool

Quote from Ramz:

"PS I think it was spanker who made a tool from a piece of conduit.
Search this ginormous thread for his notes on the process. I made one also, but I hesitate to describe what a mess it was to make. After disassembling the forks, you can see where this tool will be used and make measurements. I had to find just the right diameter and length. I used a dremel drill with a metal cutting disk to cut 12 fingers out of the end. The fingers fit into holes that are on a disk mounted to the cartridge assembly. You drill a pair of holes in the end of the conduit opposite the fingers and insert a phillips screwdriver; this is your handle to hold the tool in place and keep the damper assembly from turning while you screw in the adjusters."

Ramz was correct, here's a pic of the tool I made to keep the damping rod from turning: I only cut four fingers and it worked fine. Ramz had infinitey more patience than I did.......

It's made from 1.5 in. antenna mast from the local True Value Hardware store. It took some patience, a dremel tool and a file to match up the fingers to engage the ports you see in the damping rod, but it worked great.

here you see the lugs align with four of the twelve oil ports.

At the top of the pic you see the damping rod with the tool still engaged, and the non-adjustable compression valve at the bottom of the fork leg. If you make one of these tools, drill a hole at the top of the tool so you can stick a screwdriver in it to keep it from turning. I'm a cheap bastard and hate paying for specialty tools I can make. I will be installing my adjustable compression adjusters very soon as we had a 50 deg day this week.......woohoo!

Ramz is also correct if you don't want to get into this, call Les at LTRacing and he will do the whole thing for you.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #9516
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
spanker, how are you liking that Guts seat?? Doing any long trips on it? The one I had on my 525exc was good for most of the day.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #9517
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 842
Thanks spanker for the added info. My first dumb question would be why we have to tear it apart so far where it looks like the new base valve should screw in fron the bottom? I guess I haven't really looked too hard at the base of the forks and maybe if I did it would be obvious. I looked once to see the missing adjuster and I think the was a bolt or plug in the center. I don't know if I remember the large hex on the non-adjustable valve or not. Other than that, I am easily mechanically inclined to do the job and I also like making my own special tools.
Thanks,
Grump

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
Quote from Ramz:

"PS I think it was spanker who made a tool from a piece of conduit.
Search this ginormous thread for his notes on the process. I made one also, but I hesitate to describe what a mess it was to make. After disassembling the forks, you can see where this tool will be used and make measurements. I had to find just the right diameter and length. I used a dremel drill with a metal cutting disk to cut 12 fingers out of the end. The fingers fit into holes that are on a disk mounted to the cartridge assembly. You drill a pair of holes in the end of the conduit opposite the fingers and insert a phillips screwdriver; this is your handle to hold the tool in place and keep the damper assembly from turning while you screw in the adjusters."

Ramz was correct, here's a pic of the tool I made to keep the damping rod from turning: I only cut four fingers and it worked fine. Ramz had infinitey more patience than I did.......

It's made from 1.5 in. antenna mast from the local True Value Hardware store. It took some patience, a dremel tool and a file to match up the fingers to engage the ports you see in the damping rod, but it worked great.

here you see the lugs align with four of the twelve oil ports.

At the top of the pic you see the damping rod with the tool still engaged, and the non-adjustable compression valve at the bottom of the fork leg. If you make one of these tools, drill a hole at the top of the tool so you can stick a screwdriver in it to keep it from turning. I'm a cheap bastard and hate paying for specialty tools I can make. I will be installing my adjustable compression adjusters very soon as we had a 50 deg day this week.......woohoo!

Ramz is also correct if you don't want to get into this, call Les at LTRacing and he will do the whole thing for you.

Davebert screwed with this post 02-13-2009 at 03:51 PM
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #9518
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Hey Grump,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump
Thanks spanker for the added info. My first dumb question would be why we have to tear it apart so far where it looks like the new base valve should screw in fron the bottom? I guess I haven't really looked too hard at the base of the forks and maybe if I did it would be obvious.
Grump
The compression adjuster assembly threads into the bottom of the damping rod, not the bottom of the fork leg as it may appear; that's why you need the tool. Go here for a Zoke manual with diagrams of the internals: http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...N=UK&Sito=moto
Old 02-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #9519
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Hey BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Pat
spanker, how are you liking that Guts seat?? Doing any long trips on it? The one I had on my 525exc was good for most of the day.
BP, long time, no see. To be honest, the Guts seat is not for me; it's even more narrow than the stocker but softer if you select the "soft" option. The cover is very durable. I was looking for TAT-ride comfort ONLY (3000-plus miles) and didn't care about being able to slide fore and aft ala moto-x or woods-riding style or any other reason for that matter. My solution was here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7216
It's removeable (attached by velcro) and worked wonders for my sore butt, you know what I'm talkin' about, owning an 08.
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #9520
NothingClever
Dirt Winger

Oddometer: 1,097
Quote:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7216
It's removeable (attached by velcro) and worked wonders for my sore butt, you know what I'm talkin' about, owning an 08.
Super solution. Thanks for posting, hermano.

And a little Swedish rocket from Varese, Italy has me a mile high

NothingClever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:50 PM   #9521
TimberlineAdventure
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by djchan
Timberline - by now you must have figured out it was nothing but a dream. Back to 16F for a high here in farmington and nothing anywhere near freezing for the next week.

I'm looking at a TE610 so you may have a compadre here in Maine this summer.

Dean
Oh, come on..... it is 17 down here in Portland. BLACK ICE everywhere. Get the TE, it is a Meat Grinder on the trails up Naaath...... I am going to host a Spring Fling up here. Hopefully, all the boys from down South will come up for a ride....

Husqvarna '08 TE-610 Front Fork Thread Only
http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:51 PM   #9522
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure
Oh, come on..... it is 17 down here in Portland. BLACK ICE everywhere. Get the TE, it is a Meat Grinder on the trails up Naaath...... I am going to host a Spring Fling up here. Hopefully, all the boys from down South will come up for a ride....
You host it, they will come Rode the dual sport ride that Seacoast Trail Riders put on last year in southern Maine. Great ride, but always looking for more rides..
Old 02-13-2009, 06:16 PM   #9523
Davebert
Too damn serious!

Oddometer: 842
Thanks again spanker, I got a copy of the manual and should be all set. I still have to break in the bike but want to be ready in case Husqvarna or BMW doesn't help out on this. Even if they just buy the parts I would be happy to do the labor.
Grump

Quote:
The compression adjuster assembly threads into the bottom of the damping rod, not the bottom of the fork leg as it may appear; that's why you need the tool. Go here for a Zoke manual with diagrams of the internals: http://www.marzocchi.com/template/li...N=UK&Sito=moto
Davebert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #9524
Flashman1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberlineAdventure
Its a cold 65 today in Tucson - going for a ride this weekend. The Southwest is dual sport paradise.
Flashman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:41 PM   #9525
BlueBuell
Banned

Oddometer: 421
Man, I think a TE-610 is high on the list to replace my KLR!
BlueBuell is offline   Reply With Quote