Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2009, 07:54 PM   #9526
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzcoinc
How bout a photo of your cold weather riding clothing. Not that I would need it much here in sunny south Texas, just kind of inerested.
Thanks
I use the same stuff I used in Texas...
Gerbings electric jacket, pants and gloves (or the husky has heated grips) under neath my aerostitch or thor gear.

Simply adjust thermostat as required

that said, good underarmor underneath was key on this type of ride because even though it was below freezing we were sweating our arses off from the work in the snow.. so you needed something to keep you dry.

I also had a neck gator in my tank bag just in case my chin got cold.

...a photo of me from the ride:

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:35 AM   #9527
vetitum422
And I Thank You!

Oddometer: 13
Tail of The Dragon_06 TE610 Motard

Me and a friend are headed to the East side of the Great Smoky Mountains to ride the Dragon and other roads, and then off road in Motarded version just to see how far we can go. Once we reach that limit, we'll swap back to stock trim, if we make it back to base, and go from there. Looking for a change of pace, have already put in a good day's ride here at home on the new setup, half day highway and the other half off road. Must admit I was amazed at how well this worked off road, but also must admit it was almost bone dry during the off road part. Several creek crossings with rocks and mud, but nothing a little momentum did'nt solve, and then single track through the trees and one super duty uphill down hill with no problems. We will be adding a little more aggressive SM tires, the wheels I bought used off of supermotojunkie came with slicks, but by golly, worked pretty good off road, hell, it was great to just twist the throttle and let her spin at the right moments.

By the by, these are CARROZZERIA rims for husky610/510/450 that came off of a 06 SM610. The good man I bought these from was parting out his SM and I also bought the complete front brake setup. The wheels were a direct swap with no modifications, the front brake exchange was a little trying, had to trim the fork protector on the inside to clear new larger rotor and route cableing around outside of fork leg. I do not like this, but there was not much choice, I did pick up some small sticks between fork protector and cables while off road, we have a fab shop, and will custom fab an aluminum guard to prevent this and for possible falls, or rock impacts. I'm probably going to catch a lot of flack over this, but will be mounting a 320mm rotor on my stock 21" wheel to use with new brake setup, as is, it was very progressive and predictable off road, with this said, I feel confident it will work just fine with the 21".

vetitum422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #9528
Shepster
"I Don't Look Back"

Oddometer: 11
Big Tank...

Hey Mate, (tlking6)
I've noticed the, what I asume is the 5gal Tank, and want to ask for your thoughts on it. I gotta few questions:
1. Is it worth the money?
2. Does it fit well, I mean, my mates got a DR650 & just got rid of the (non IMS) 30ltr cause it kept moving and didn't sit right from the day he got it. So hows the fit?
3. Does it make the front end feel a hell of a lot different, if so did it take long to get used to?
4. Did the original Blue plastics fit back on or did you have to get after market ones?

The reason I ask, is I'll be up for arount $580.00AUD to get one and I don't wanna go through the crap my mate did.

Also I'm looking for some Motard wheels (2nd hand, good cond will be fine) and I read the thread (vetutim422) with the pic and Mate I recon I'd / will do the same. I'm actually thinking of chuckin a 320 on the front now, just got to get Da Boss (wife) to let me spend the readies!!!!

Wheels look cool.

Happy Trails

Shepster screwed with this post 02-14-2009 at 04:03 AM
Shepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:50 AM   #9529
Shepster
"I Don't Look Back"

Oddometer: 11
TO WD40 or NOT TO WD40? That is the Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motometal
I doubt if your lubing habits were the problem, in my opinion the whole "wd-40 sneaking by the orings" theory is bogus. Those orings are under compression, it would take some serious pressure to force anything past them. Be careful with the powerwasher, and don't use any solvents that could eat the orings. WD is fine. The lube in the chains gets pretty thin when hot, if the rings could let WD IN, they would let the lube OUT too. I've used WD40 almost exclusively on my ring chains for many years and have had great service life.

WD40 soapbox mode off.
This a little old (the thread) but if you've just got a new bike the routine takes only an extra 5-6min at wash time.... It will help keep ya mount lookin gooooooooooood....

I bath the bike in it after every ride! (Dirt that is). Routine:
Finish Ride > Degrease the bike (el cheapo Exprot brand 2 bucks a can) > rinse> (derease again if needed) > CT18 Truck wash > Run bike on stand 3-5mins > shammy dry > spray Bike with WD40 till drips on ground (not on brakes-that would be silly > then wipe over rims and plastics with WD40 rag.
Because the WD is of a oil base the degreaser just lifts off the dirt and mud from the ride...Also as it is my commute durin the week I do this at weekly wash as well...Been donin it since I got the bike and no baked on stuff and no crap from chain sticks to the under sied of the rear guard...

Love the stuff

" All Hail the Husky Gods " I Love the thing...
Shepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #9530
TimberlineAdventure
Maine Thumpah

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogo1
You host it, they will come Rode the dual sport ride that Seacoast Trail Riders put on last year in southern Maine. Great ride, but always looking for more rides..
I am thinking that we wont see any ocean. My goal would be to see nothing but trees, bald eagles & moose.... No people. We can pull this off in Maine no problem. Maybe we start in Portland, ride the hard for about two hours until we hit the trails around the lakes. I could arrange for 2-3 cabins on a lake such as Moosehead as base-camp.

There is a place that is North of Moosehead Lake called the Ice Caves. It is almost impossible to get to unless you paddle a canoe about ten miles. My brother, who has invested about 100k into a Rock Crawler couldn't get there last year, but we do get closer every year. I think that I have found a route that the bikes will do. We would be rewarded, from what I have heard.... with absolute paradise. Bring your ice skates because if it is 75 degrees on the trail, we can still set up a pick up game of Hockey inside. Just a thought....... Anybody up for a Timberline Adventure Ride this summer ? Also thinking about taking the High-Speed ferry to Nova Scotia and then rounding the Island. We can be in Nova with a four hour boat ride.

Husqvarna '08 TE-610 Front Fork Thread Only
http://rickramsey.net/TE610mods.htm
TimberlineAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM   #9531
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepster
Hey Mate, (tlking6)
I've noticed the, what I asume is the 5gal Tank, and want to ask for your thoughts on it. I gotta few questions:
1. Is it worth the money?
2. Does it fit well, I mean, my mates got a DR650 & just got rid of the (non IMS) 30ltr cause it kept moving and didn't sit right from the day he got it. So hows the fit?
3. Does it make the front end feel a hell of a lot different, if so did it take long to get used to?
4. Did the original Blue plastics fit back on or did you have to get after market ones?

The reason I ask, is I'll be up for arount $580.00AUD to get one and I don't wanna go through the crap my mate did.

Also I'm looking for some Motard wheels (2nd hand, good cond will be fine) and I read the thread (vetutim422) with the pic and Mate I recon I'd / will do the same. I'm actually thinking of chuckin a 320 on the front now, just got to get Da Boss (wife) to let me spend the readies!!!!

Wheels look cool.

Happy Trails
Hey Sheep's,
If they made a 5 gallon tank for my bike (08) I would be able to answer your questions because I would have one. Ya must be thinking of someone else! What your thinking there is going to be pretty correct. That extra weight is gonna make your bike handle different. The reality is you dont have to carry the fuel unless you need the range but when you do, you have to carry it somewhere so it might as well be in the fuel tank eh?
Old 02-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #9532
vetitum422
And I Thank You!

06 TE610 IMS Fat Tank

Shepster,

I bought a IMS Tank for my 06 TE610 last year and it just didn't fit good, if you got the top tank bolt in, it pulled the rear of the tank off the tabs, tank and seat would be bouncing everywhere. A friend and Me were going up to ride the TAT from Boise, Oklahoma up to Taylor reservior and then back down to the Great Sand Dunes. The tank was a last minute purchase and when it didn't fit right, and we had changed our plans slightly, I didn't fool with it. My initial impression was that I could possibly route/file the top mount hole out (there is molding/casting buildup) a bit and make the tank slid back just enough to fit the tabs properly, but hell, that's been 6 months ago and the tank is still collecting dust in the it's box. I will dig out and have a look at the fit again, I'm wanting to adjust vavles this coming week and will have bike apart. It seems that if the tank were stretched just a smidge, like by heating it or something, any ideas out there? It was so close to fitting right and not working that it put me in a state of pissiness and I shelved it. Been long enough now that I may not throw it over the bluff when trying it out again.

Anyway, just sharing info and thanks for the compliment on the wheels, I bought them 2nd hand off of SMJ from greenpea, he's a great guy to talk to and did me right. I was worried about the color being black, but now wouldn't have it any other way.

Traye
Old 02-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #9533
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Question Baja Designs 8" halogen race light

Guys,

I have an electrical question.

The Baja light has only two wires.
White & black.

The factory light harness has 4 wires.
White, black, blue, & red with yellow stripe.

The light does come on when I connect:

Black from Baja light to black on the harness.
White from Baja light to blue on the harness.

I have already blown a couple of fuses. What goes to what? I do not do electrical. Thanks in advance for your help.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #9534
vetitum422
And I Thank You!

Baja Designs 8" halogen race light

Man, that is exactly what I want for my bike, I don't have a clue about the wiring part, but will watch closely for the answer. Nice looking!
Old 02-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #9535
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
Guys,

White & black.

The light does come on when I connect:

Black from Baja light to black on the harness.
White from Baja light to blue on the harness.

I have already blown a couple of fuses. What goes to what? I do not do electrical. Thanks in advance for your help.
I would assume (always dangerous) that the BD light is one beam only, not hi/low. Which SHOULD mean (dangerous phrase) that one wire is hot and the other is ground. If you look to see which wire goes to what inside the light, it should be obvious which one is ground. My bet is on white being ground based on what you said lit the light. Last summer I made an adaptor to use a 9007 halogen bulb in the stock headlight. One of the four stock harness wires, red I believe goes to the little running light beside the main bulb. Black triggers low beam, white high beam, and blue is ground. I may be thinking backwards regarding low/high colors, but I'm sure that blue is ground. Anyway, with a single beam light you can use either high or low wires for the hot side, the light will just turn off when you hit the dimmer switch the other way.

Or, you could use the red/yellow wire to trigger a relay, which would run the light whenever the key is switched on. No chance of running without it in the daytime, and you could use heavier wire to run the light. The stock wires are WAY puny, IMO. Here is a diagram for using a relay.
http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #9536
niknteen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepster
This a little old (the thread) but if you've just got a new bike the routine takes only an extra 5-6min at wash time.... It will help keep ya mount lookin gooooooooooood....

I bath the bike in it after every ride! (Dirt that is). Routine:
Finish Ride > Degrease the bike (el cheapo Exprot brand 2 bucks a can) > rinse> (derease again if needed) > CT18 Truck wash > Run bike on stand 3-5mins > shammy dry > spray Bike with WD40 till drips on ground (not on brakes-that would be silly > then wipe over rims and plastics with WD40 rag.
Because the WD is of a oil base the degreaser just lifts off the dirt and mud from the ride...Also as it is my commute durin the week I do this at weekly wash as well...Been donin it since I got the bike and no baked on stuff and no crap from chain sticks to the under sied of the rear guard...

Love the stuff

" All Hail the Husky Gods " I Love the thing...
Mate, I have had my bike now for 19 months, got it new. When i wash it, i litteraly bath it with WD 40 afterwards. The thing about the brakes...It wont affect them, infact you'l find that IF you GREASE them, they'l lock up quicker N you can poke a stick at em! I always spray my chain after washing, then just before I'm ready to go riding again, i warnm it up then hit it with Chain spray. Many times I've ridden with nothing ut WD40 as Lube. MY chain is now at 4500k's, no worries..( did you get my PM?)

niknteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:48 AM   #9537
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcam
I would assume (always dangerous) that the BD light is one beam only, not hi/low. Which SHOULD mean (dangerous phrase) that one wire is hot and the other is ground. If you look to see which wire goes to what inside the light, it should be obvious which one is ground. My bet is on white being ground based on what you said lit the light. Last summer I made an adaptor to use a 9007 halogen bulb in the stock headlight. One of the four stock harness wires, red I believe goes to the little running light beside the main bulb. Black triggers low beam, white high beam, and blue is ground. I may be thinking backwards regarding low/high colors, but I'm sure that blue is ground. Anyway, with a single beam light you can use either high or low wires for the hot side, the light will just turn off when you hit the dimmer switch the other way.

Or, you could use the red/yellow wire to trigger a relay, which would run the light whenever the key is switched on. No chance of running without it in the daytime, and you could use heavier wire to run the light. The stock wires are WAY puny, IMO. Here is a diagram for using a relay.
http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm

Thanks for taking the time to help.

I will look into this later today.

Thanks again lagcam.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:16 AM   #9538
LostRider
Motorcycle Addict

Oddometer: 237
Quote:
Guys,

White & black.

The headlight wiring for the Husky:

White - High beam
Black- Low beam
Blue - Ground
Red/Yellow - Parking light

Hope that helps.
Old 02-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #9539
Beemer Pat

Oddometer: 2,722
Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
BP, long time, no see. To be honest, the Guts seat is not for me; it's even more narrow than the stocker but softer if you select the "soft" option. The cover is very durable. I was looking for TAT-ride comfort ONLY (3000-plus miles) and didn't care about being able to slide fore and aft ala moto-x or woods-riding style or any other reason for that matter. My solution was here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...postcount=7216
It's removeable (attached by velcro) and worked wonders for my sore butt, you know what I'm talkin' about, owning an 08.
Yes, for sure I know all about that. I don't get to post much cuz I'm not working two jobs doing 57 to 62 hours a week. Trying to get my ass out of debt. With warm weather on the way I hope to get out and ride more. Thanks for the link.
Beemer Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #9540
Trang
... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer: 1,070
Quote:

So what are your plans for keeping the bike road legal?
This light does not have Low Beam, is that correct?