Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 11:35 AM   #9541
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by vetitum422
Me and a friend are headed to the East side of the Great Smoky Mountains to ride the Dragon and other roads, and then off road in Motarded version just to see how far we can go.

Yowsa, the Dragon on that bike! Makes my heart beat faster just thinking about it. Rode a couple laps at a track day at NHIS on a 610 motorad. Couldn't get the grin off my face for an hour after. Even in D/S trim I love the 610 on the twisties. Be careful, the dragon can bite!
Old 02-15-2009, 11:41 AM   #9542
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,101

[/quote]
NICE lookin' bike! Love the graphics. That's important stuff, you know.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #9543
victor diaz
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Pissed chain & sprokets

hi, i have a question:
my "blondie" (2006 te610) is about 8000 miles, and the chain is getting very long, it passed the last adjustment mark i think is time to change it, but a friend with a xr650x told me that i have to change the front and rear sprokets too, what do you think about that? and, what brand and model of chain and sprokets do you recomend?
by the way, i saw a brand new regina chain, broke twice, and in the second broke, the chain broke the engine too , so take care with regina´s
victor diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #9544
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by victor diaz
hi, i have a question:
my "blondie" (2006 te610) is about 8000 miles, and the chain is getting very long, it passed the last adjustment mark i think is time to change it, but a friend with a xr650x told me that i have to change the front and rear sprokets too, what do you think about that? and, what brand and model of chain and sprokets do you recomend?
by the way, i saw a brand new regina chain, broke twice, and in the second broke, the chain broke the engine too , so take care with regina´s
Some people say it don't matter, others say it does. I'm with the change everything at the same time group, everything wears together. As far as the most bulletproof sprockets is concerned, I believe in Afam front & DirtTricks (Ironman) rear. There's so many quality chain options I can't comment, it's like choosing a favorite oil. Just go with namebrand "O" ring or "X" ring & chances it's a quality chain are pretty good

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #9545
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 778
Check the early entries on this thread...lots about the IMS tank.

Early ones did not fit well, later ones seemed better. Mine went on great...

They all will "spread" their wings with use, mine has not gotten so it moves back and forth though...yet. And some claim zip tieing tube rubber to the frame under the tank to fill the gap helps.

for local US price...worth it. Downunder... I would see if Safari makes one....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepster
Hey Mate, (tlking6)
I've noticed the, what I asume is the 5gal Tank, and want to ask for your thoughts on it. I gotta few questions:
1. Is it worth the money?
2. Does it fit well, I mean, my mates got a DR650 & just got rid of the (non IMS) 30ltr cause it kept moving and didn't sit right from the day he got it. So hows the fit?
3. Does it make the front end feel a hell of a lot different, if so did it take long to get used to?
4. Did the original Blue plastics fit back on or did you have to get after market ones?

The reason I ask, is I'll be up for arount $580.00AUD to get one and I don't wanna go through the crap my mate did.

Also I'm looking for some Motard wheels (2nd hand, good cond will be fine) and I read the thread (vetutim422) with the pic and Mate I recon I'd / will do the same. I'm actually thinking of chuckin a 320 on the front now, just got to get Da Boss (wife) to let me spend the readies!!!!

Wheels look cool.

Happy Trails
Old 02-15-2009, 09:16 PM   #9546
04asphalt
08 TE610 super-newbie

Oddometer: 120
Question 2008 te 610?

do the 2008 te610 come with the rack?

08 te610
08 vfr
04asphalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #9547
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04asphalt
Don't think so. Mine certainly didn't. Check out the PMB Rack.
BikeSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #9548
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04asphalt
These look interesting also. I almost bought one before deciding to make my own.

lagcam screwed with this post 02-15-2009 at 09:42 PM
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:19 PM   #9549
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Anyone done big trips on the 610?

I have a DR650 but would love to get the Husky to explore a bit more off road. I've ridded the 450 in the dirt and the 510 SM on the street. Love these bikes.

I am just starting to work my way through the thread ..... (great stuff guys!) But had a couple questions since it'll be a month before I can get through it all .

I've seen a few Baja reports and a few other long ride reports, but wondered how guys are doing on longer rides?? Any high mileage 610's out there? How much pavement are guys doing in a day, typically, and surviving?

I need a true dual sport that can do lots of street duty as well as off road. My DR is pretty good at this but obviously is compromised off road. Then again I can pull a 400 mile day if required. (Corbin seat!)

Any hope of doing this on the Husky? I see lots of Renazco seats and read about a Corbin or two. I've read up on the good mods .... any glaring problems I've missed?

The other thing is luggage. Can anyone post a link to some loaded up 610's. I've seen a few with dinky
panniers, but if you were going for three months to Mex/Cent. America .... how would the set up look?

TIA

Django Loco screwed with this post 02-16-2009 at 02:14 PM
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:43 AM   #9550
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,797
Django:
I'm up to 13K miles on my 610... and I use it for EVERY type of riding.
Its like having a DRZ400 with a 6 speed transmission and 20% more power
You will want a better seat.
I also travel on mine with full camping gear; everything I need for a week or two trip using dirtbagz saddle bags and a couple of dry bags across the back.

Sample report & pics:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=black

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:15 AM   #9551
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
I have a DR650 but would love to get the Husky to explore a bit more off road. I've ridded the 450 in the dirt and the 510 SM on the street. Love these bikes.

I am just starting to work my way through the thread ..... (great stuff guys!) But had a couple questions since it'll be a month before I can get through it all .

I've seen a few Baja reports and a few other long ride reports, but wondered how guys are doing on longer rides?? Any high mileage 610's out there? How much pavement are guys doing in a day, typically, and surviving?

I need a true dual sport that can do lots of street duty as well as off road. My DR is pretty good at this but obviously is compromised off road. Then again I can pull a 400 mile day if required. (Corbin seat!)

Any hope of doing this on the Husky? I see lots of Renazco seats and read about a Corbin or two. I've read up on the good mods .... and glaring problems I've missed?

The other thing is luggage. Can anyone post a link to some loaded up 610's. I've seen a few with dinky
panniers, but if you were going for three months to Mex/Cent. America .... how would the set up look?

TIA
Loco, there are a ton of bikes here that have done 3000+ mile rides at a whack, including mine, no probs. and plenty of bikes with 5 digits on the speedo. If you are camping, the whole game changes. Most people buy the TE for power, handling and lower 48-TAT type stuff, not for international travel although the bike can go anywhere. The sub-sub frame on the bike is suspect although I had a packed duffel on mine for 3000 miles without reinforcement. If you are going for full-blown aluminum-hard panniers and racks with camping equipment, go here for the racks and use whatever hard or soft bags you like:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUSQV...QQcmdZViewItem
You will DIE without a seat mod of some kind. You have about 150 miles between tankful's depending on your right wrist and weight on the bike. I have done two back-to-back 400+ mile days on asphalt and dirt; no problems.

I can do a steady 70 on asphalt without beating the hell out of the motor and have sufficient low gearing for dirt with a simple change to a 48 tooth rear and keeping the stock countershaft sprocket. If it's hot, you can melt a knobby in just a few days on asphalt. If the tire rim gets hot to the touch, PULL OVER AND and let it cool down.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #9552
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,629
Tube sizes for stock tires

I'm wanting to get a set of spare tubes for the stock tire sizes, and am wondering if these will work okay.

Front tire size is 90/90 R21, so I'm thinking a tube size of 80/100 x21 would work.

The rear is a little different; Kenda lists their tube sizes both in MM and in inches for larger tubes. The stock tire is a 140/80 R18, which translates to about 5.5 inches width. Would a tube size of 5.00-5.30x18 work okay in this tire? It's a little smaller than I'd like but is about as close as I can get.
Old 02-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #9553
fritzcoinc
Enjoying my last V8

Oddometer: 6,667
Agree with Spanker. The Husky is a dirt bike that can go on the road. I am a new owner but have already done a couple of 300 plus mile days with the stock seat. These were 50/50 or so road/dirt. If you want to stock up and take alot of long trips on mostly road you need a different bike. I am keeping my XRL for that.
86 Husky 400 XCE, 00 Husky Te 610 e, 1999 Husky TC610 SM, 2000 Cagiva GC; Google: TX7
fritzcoinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 09:29 AM   #9554
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
I'm wanting to get a set of spare tubes for the stock tire sizes, and am wondering if these will work okay.

Front tire size is 90/90 R21, so I'm thinking a tube size of 80/100 x21 would work.

The rear is a little different; Kenda lists their tube sizes both in MM and in inches for larger tubes. The stock tire is a 140/80 R18, which translates to about 5.5 inches width. Would a tube size of 5.00-5.30x18 work okay in this tire? It's a little smaller than I'd like but is about as close as I can get.
I am using a Metzeler 18" Type D
18" Type D = 4.00/4.25/4.50, 120/80 to 140/80, 120/90 to 140/90

These aren't actually made by Metzeler any more. It says Kings on the box.
BikeSDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 10:13 AM   #9555
Iroquoiswarrior
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Four easy questions.

I want to extend a heart felt “Thank You.” to everyone who has supplied information in the past. I am on only once in a while because of other important things taking up so much time such as a job, house, and keeping the wife out of the angry hot zone. (One of my greatest fears. The home is full of things that can make a husband sick or dead and the kitchen is well stocked with a wide variety cutlery!) Here are my questions about my 2007 610.

I have read many posts about the JD jet kit. I need to keep sound and to a minimum and must have a spark arrestor so I will be staying with the stock muffler. I have looked on the JD web site and see a kit for the SM610, but nothing for the TE. Is everyone using the SM kit? If not, what are you using and would this be worthwhile with the stock muffler. I live at 1200 feet elevation in Pennsylvania where you need a TE to navigate some of our roads. I also saw post 9364 mentioning someone connected with JD Jetting that was helpful.

When the weather lets up I will be setting my valves. (I am envious of anyone with a heated garage.) The manual calls for .002 clearance on the valves. I want to know if this is right and not some misprint. It just seems a little tight to me for an engine of this size.

Several times I have had the over-rev light come on just for a second during gear changes and I know I am no where the rev limit. Not worried about it but was wondering if anyone else has seen this happen.

Last fall I had a sudden performance loss. Didn’t really notice it until I opened it up out on the road with a friend on a DR650. I noticed it right away then, and he stayed with me through the gears. My Husky always ate his DR alive, but not this time. So far the few checks I have made came up negative. When I do the valves I am going to check the cam timing. Since it brought me 60 miles home starts, runs, and idles nice and no strange sounds, I know that nothing is bent, but the cam may be a tooth off. (Auto CCT took a coffee break?) What are the timing marks I should see when I am at TDC.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Iroquois.
Iroquoiswarrior is offline   Reply With Quote