Old 02-17-2009, 06:10 PM   #9571
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Thanks guys (Geek too!)
Great links and pics!
I don't camp in Mexico or Cent. America at all, but do in the US.

Glad you brought up the sub frame. I would not use metal boxes but might carry soft bags that are a bit bigger than the Dirt Bagz, so the sub frame was of concern.

Good to hear the 610's are holding up and getting high mileage. I plan to check a 610 out again in person soon. Dealer is a half hour away. Meanwhile, I'm continuing to read this thread and get up to speed on this bike. Thanks again ....
Loco, pm sent.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:34 PM   #9572
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Oddometer: 828
'08 starting issue

Hi guys. Haven't been around much lately (holidays, work, kids, winter projects, kids, skiing, did I mention kids? ). I had to start reading at page 598 to catch up (whew!). Anyway wondering what ideas you guys may have about the difficult starting problem I'm having?

The 610 was running great last season before I put her down for her winter nap. Before I did I'd go out and start it up once a week or so. That was fine until one time she didn't want to fire up. I had to really crank it a lot before she finally came to life. Smelled like it might have been flooded, so I ran it clean and forgot about it. Went out a few days later and couldn't get it started. I cranked the battery way down and it was like 30-something degrees in the garage, so I decided to pull the battery and put off changing the plug until spring when my hands aren't numb. I figured I had a bad plug.

Fast-forward a few months. It's been kinda warm and sunny lately (40's) so I decided to change that plug yesterday. To my surprise the same thing - she still won't start. I cranked the battery down again and nothing. Same routine, turn it on, hear the fuel pump, pull the fast-idle lever, and crank away. I was ready to give up and start checking for gas flow and spark, but I tried one last time and just for kicks opened the throttle and bam! she fired right up. Same thing today, will not start without opening the throttle, but it was a lot harder to get her fired today.

Now I did verify the start/fast-idle lever works after I got it running. I have not checked my airbox for intruders, but it's sealed so I doubt that. Besides it ran fine after it started. However, today when I got it running I heard lots of valve clatter until it warmed up and got quite all of a sudden. It was like a on/off switch, clatter and then no clatter. I'm now wondering if somehow my valves have gone out of adjustment, but it's only been about 400 miles since I did them. And. it started fine when I parked it last winter. I hate to tear back into it on a whim, but I'm not sure what else this could be. Certainly it should run in these temps. The open throttle should be a clue, but it's not coming to me unless it's valves.

Any ideas?

'08 Husqvarna TE610, '11 Gas Gas EC300, '03 Beta Rev3 250

Husky TE/SM-610 Thread Index

mrkartoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:38 PM   #9573
Olas
the darkness

Oddometer: 3,948
Sounds like you're just not riding it enough! Is the gasoline fresh?
Olas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #9574
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Fuel stabil in it? Iridium plug? Battery tender/full charge? The valves should be fine unless you did those 400 miles on the banking at Daytona or it ate a pound of sand!
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #9575
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
wow, 7k miles ! thats pretty good.

That is why every 610 rider does, or should, zip-ty a spare to the one in service.
That's about 6100 miles longer than mine lasted! I made a custom cable from an old CB750 cable I had laying around. Larger cable and longer, so I could route it correctly. No problems since.
lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:17 PM   #9576
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olas Altas
Sounds like you're just not riding it enough! Is the gasoline fresh?
Well I'm definitely not riding it enough, but blame mother nature. I did put fresh gas in it, even though I filled it up just before this problem started last winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
Fuel stabil in it? Iridium plug? Battery tender/full charge? The valves should be fine unless you did those 400 miles on the banking at Daytona or it ate a pound of sand!
I never use the fuel stabil and I've never had a problem going the 3-4 months without it. I always fill the bikes, mowers, etc. up all the way before I put them away and never had issues. I put in fresh gas just for kicks to rule that out, but no change.

I replaced the plug with the stock NGK (CR8EK or something? - don't quote that). The old one looked fine by the way. The battery, which is fairly new, was on an optimate2 the last few months. It seems just fine.

Thanks guys. Another other ideas?

Old 02-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #9577
reconsmr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,522
Todays fuels will be stale long before 3-4 months. Try a CR8EIK IIRC, iridium version of the stocker, fires really well with less than optimum electrical charge & more consistant fire at high R{PMs.

Was the battery load tested, there is alot of draw with the starter, cold oil, FI & pump. In cold temps my MXer needs a boost to beat the oil resistance.
reconsmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:32 PM   #9578
Agave
El Corazón

Oddometer: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkartoom
Hi guys. Haven't been around much lately (holidays, work, kids, winter projects, kids, skiing, did I mention kids? ). I had to start reading at page 598 to catch up (whew!). Anyway wondering what ideas you guys may have about the difficult starting problem I'm having?

The 610 was running great last season before I put her down for her winter nap. Before I did I'd go out and start it up once a week or so. That was fine until one time she didn't want to fire up. I had to really crank it a lot before she finally came to life. Smelled like it might have been flooded, so I ran it clean and forgot about it. Went out a few days later and couldn't get it started. I cranked the battery way down and it was like 30-something degrees in the garage, so I decided to pull the battery and put off changing the plug until spring when my hands aren't numb. I figured I had a bad plug.

Fast-forward a few months. It's been kinda warm and sunny lately (40's) so I decided to change that plug yesterday. To my surprise the same thing - she still won't start. I cranked the battery down again and nothing. Same routine, turn it on, hear the fuel pump, pull the fast-idle lever, and crank away. I was ready to give up and start checking for gas flow and spark, but I tried one last time and just for kicks opened the throttle and bam! she fired right up. Same thing today, will not start without opening the throttle, but it was a lot harder to get her fired today.

Now I did verify the start/fast-idle lever works after I got it running. I have not checked my airbox for intruders, but it's sealed so I doubt that. Besides it ran fine after it started. However, today when I got it running I heard lots of valve clatter until it warmed up and got quite all of a sudden. It was like a on/off switch, clatter and then no clatter. I'm now wondering if somehow my valves have gone out of adjustment, but it's only been about 400 miles since I did them. And. it started fine when I parked it last winter. I hate to tear back into it on a whim, but I'm not sure what else this could be. Certainly it should run in these temps. The open throttle should be a clue, but it's not coming to me unless it's valves.

Any ideas?
I have an 08 as well and mine often will not fire up w/o opening up the throttle a bit. I thought it a bit odd given it's an injected bike, now it's just part of the starting proceedure... FWIW it acts this way both when I ride it daily or if sits a while... Is this not normal for the FI 610's??
Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 PM   #9579
tlking6
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agave
Is this not normal for the FI 610's??
Not for mine. It fires right up and I never touch the throttle. Granted I live in San Diego, and I ride my bike everyday, however we have had some relativly cold weather here (40's).
MrKart, this may be a dumb question but hows your air filter? My experience with a FI bike that needs some throttle to start is a sign the filter is dirty.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:27 PM   #9580
Fizz
Fizz

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svart
Fizz, isn´t that hitting the tank (or tank bag) when turning? Just a thought.
Hi Svart,

it misses the tank bag by a couple of centimeters.

Fizz
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:43 AM   #9581
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlking6
Not for mine. It fires right up and I never touch the throttle. Granted I live in San Diego, and I ride my bike everyday, however we have had some relativly cold weather here (40's).
MrKart, this may be a dumb question but hows your air filter? My experience with a FI bike that needs some throttle to start is a sign the filter is dirty.
The filter looks very clean. I haven't pulled it yet to look in the boot, but that's next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconsmr
Todays fuels will be stale long before 3-4 months. Try a CR8EIK IIRC, iridium version of the stocker, fires really well with less than optimum electrical charge & more consistant fire at high R{PMs.

Was the battery load tested, there is alot of draw with the starter, cold oil, FI & pump. In cold temps my MXer needs a boost to beat the oil resistance.
As a sanity check I threw the battery in my EXC last night and it fired up immediately. Then I went to the SX and kicked it 2x to get it to fire. All 3 bikes got filled with Sunoco Ultra 94 the same day last November, so sumpin's up with the TE.

I'll pick up one of those plugs today and give it a shot.

edit: Looks like it's a CPR8E and not a CR8EK. The latter is for the EXC and I got the numbers mixed up, so no one use my previous post to replace the plug in their TE.

mrkartoom screwed with this post 02-18-2009 at 06:17 AM
Old 02-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #9582
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,053
The fuel could have gummed up a bit over winter, I know our fuel in the North East is better quality (as far as storage goes) but there's still a good chance it went bad, I'd try an injector cleaning gas additive first.
As far as the valve clatter goes, it could be build up on the valve stems, did you do a full oil change just before storage?

P.S. Starting it once a week during storage is the worst thing you can do. Winterize it, put on a battery maintainer & forget it.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510

Ruffus screwed with this post 02-18-2009 at 06:26 AM
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:31 AM   #9583
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
The fuel could have gummed up a bit over winter, I know our fuel in the North East is better quality (as far as storage goes) but there's still a good chance it went bad, I'd try an injector cleaning gas additive first.
I'd suggest running some Seafoam through it (mixed with the fuel, of course).

I know, some folks will call it snake oil. However, my experience with SF has been very good, at cleaning up gummed carbs, keeping fuel fresh, etc.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:33 AM   #9584
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
The fuel could have gummed up a bit over winter, I know our fuel in the North East is better quality (as far as storage goes) but there's still a good chance it went bad, I'd try a carb cleaning gas additive first ( I hear SeaFoam come highly recommended)
Mine's EFI and I assume nothing is clogged because it ran fine after I got it started, but maybe. How can one check to make sure the injector is doing it's thing and start? It idles fine.

On a related subject, last weekend my neighbor asked me to look at his snowmobile that wouldn't start. I asked him if it had a carb and he didn't know. Turns out it did so I told him I had a better chance of fixing it. It had a stuck needle valve and a completely plugged pilot jet. He told me he used stabil in the fuel so go figure. I assume he didn't use 94 Ultra.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:39 AM   #9585
mrkartoom
Lurker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™
I'd suggest running some Seafoam through it (mixed with the fuel, of course).

I know, some folks will call it snake oil. However, my experience with SF has been very good, at cleaning up gummed carbs, keeping fuel fresh, etc.
If it won't hurt it I'll see if I can find some. Maybe my shop will have some. I've heard of it, but never used it.

Weird thing is this started shortly after I filled it up back in November. It ran fine up until then and that gas was fresh. I've since freshened the gas again. I keep wondering if I got my intake valves too tight at the adjustment and the cold has exacerbated the problem. It may be weeks before we get a warm enough day to prove that theory (without going in there). Maybe if I could warm up the head somehow or bring the bike into the house. The spousal unit would love that.