Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2007, 03:44 PM   #991
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Did you install the 96db insert in the muffler? Is it as least as quiet (or quieter) than the stocker?

Re jetting: Which needle & main did you end up with? Did you change your idle mix screw?

Thanks, Larry
I ran the spark arrestor and I think it is louder for shure. At first with the stock insert installed I thought it was as quiet as original muffler except when getting on it...I don't think it will be as quiet as stock regardless of insert but it definately runs better. I did some Hwy riding this weekend and now in 6th it pulls much much stronger. There is a very noticably difference with the pipe and jetting...
There is one forum member who installed the quiet insert from another pipe...will track down the info again and add it to thread.

I installed the prescribed jets that came with the JD kit.
#180 Main Jet
Red Needle 5th clip
Edit: Dan at Motoxotica informed me he sent #45or #48 Pilot Jet will check next time I mess with carb...
Leak Jet installed
Thick O-ring on linkage
Zipty fuel screw 1-1/2 turns out from seated. I have yet to attempt to fine tune the fuel screw but I need to adjust idle in the morning until the bike warms up...
I am at 800' asl...
Dan

buffallodan screwed with this post 06-05-2007 at 05:13 PM
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:50 PM   #992
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
OK I get it now. I was like most. I said things like, "The 610's power is perfect" and "it doesn't need a thing". I really thought I liked her just the way she was....

Fast forward. I was holding out real well but then I read BuffaloDan's report of this "new" bike with the Leo Vince slippy and JD's kit. So I figured what the heck.

Well I'm here to tell you the TE six honey runs as intended now for sure! Night and day, black and white. It's just that much better. Gosh I love this bike.

Lee
Glad you like it Lee,
I got a chance to ride mine this weekend and did 260 miles with 20 miles of trail and man it ripped . I installed a 14T to experiment but more importantly I rode with confidence for the first time. I knew it wouldn't bog on me so I was able to jump all the holes; I can't say enough about how much fun this bike is...even with tools and some camping gear on the bike it handled the fairly tight trail with ease.

Oh and those Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes are the real deal. I hit a few ledges hard at speed and no pinch flats , I was running 18psi but I could feel the rim getting some love from the sandstone...

Dan
Old 05-30-2007, 04:34 PM   #993
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity
Did you install the 96db insert in the muffler? Is it as least as quiet (or quieter) than the stocker?

Re jetting: Which needle & main did you end up with? Did you change your idle mix screw?

Thanks, Larry
Right now I have the "open" end cap in. I may try the 96 here soon. I went with a 178 main, 48 PJ, new leak from JD and the red needle in the 5th. FS is set at 2 turns out. I'll do a plug test shortly but she feels real strong right now. Vibes (I know, what vibes?) are better too but that's probably from freeing up some backpressure.

Right now the end cap is probably as loud or a little louder than stock....but not much though! 96 has got to be pretty tolerable I'd say. I'll try that one this weekend with and without the spark arrestor.

Lee
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 04:39 PM   #994
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
14 toother huh? I'll bet that made it more fun on the trail! Where does that put you on the tach at 60 mph in 6th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Glad you like it Lee,
I got a chance to ride mine this weekend and did 260 miles with 20 miles of trail and man it ripped . I installed a 14T to experiment but more importantly I rode with confidence for the first time. I knew it wouldn't bog on me so I was able to jump all the holes; I can't say enough about how much fun this bike is...even with tools and some camping gear on the bike it handled the fairly tight trail with ease.

Oh and those Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty tubes are the real deal. I hit a few ledges hard at speed and no pinch flats , I was running 18psi but I could feel the rim getting some love from the sandstone...

Dan
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 PM   #995
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
personally I would order the TE, & run both sets of wheels with TE calipers & rotors, unless you're at the track, ther they would be lacking,compared to other SM's with monster brakes but for everyday riding & with smaller 17 inch wheel giving them even higher braking leverage, I find the TE setup a 1 finger afair, you grab a fist full & you will be doing spotties,bet you were thinkin stoppies planned or not

+1

I wouldn't bother getting dirt wheels for a SM. I tried taking my SM610 on several dirt routes, and it sucked. The suspension on the SM is not setup for rough pavement, it's not just the travel, but the valving is different. Going the other way, I think you would still have a good time, with either wheel set.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:28 PM   #996
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
14 toother huh? I'll bet that made it more fun on the trail! Where does that put you on the tach at 60 mph in 6th?
I like to ride at 4000rpm:

14T at 4000rpm 50mph
16T at 4000rpm 60mph

Dan
Old 05-30-2007, 07:09 PM   #997
MountainMan
accelerating

Oddometer: 4,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
Lean forward more

I think it's the rocks that it likes to chuck...
That and the plate was sideways like I had it on my KTM when it got mangled..
The rear tire caught it trying to keep up with Ned and Terry MC (aka sucking their dust) in the sand whoops. It lasted about 3 miles before looking like a peeled back sardine tin lid.
MountainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:03 PM   #998
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Rear bags

I brought up the idea of using bicycle panniers last year I think but it took me until this summer to get off my ass & try it. I had a bracket made to bolt onto my Promoto Billet rack with the optional pannier supports.
The bracket is made of 3/8 rod & 1/8 plate 6061-T6 aluminum:

Here you can see the Schwinn Voyageur panniers mounted (I've had these laying around the garage for years). The right side has a sleeping bag stuffed inside just to see how it fit.

Another shot of my big test last weekend. I rode about 260 miles combined off-road & 70mph+ freeway. I wasn't sure how these would react to both bumps & sustained highway speeds but they worked great.

Now that I know this is a viable alternative to what the dirtbike aftermarket has to offer I'm going to step up & buy some good ones. I've got my eye on these Arkel bags. They cost about the same as a set of Dirtbagz Rangers but are almost twice the capacity & have a pretty slick attachment mechanism. (54 liters vs 30 for the Dirtbagz)

Just thought you guys might like to see this as another alternative for carrying several days worth of gear.
Happy Huskyin' everyone!

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 05-30-2007 at 08:27 PM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #999
edeslaur
San Diegan

Oddometer: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I brought up the idea of using bicycle panniers last year I think but it took me until this summer to get off my ass & try it. I had a bracket made to bolt onto my Promoto Billet rack with the optional pannier supports.
Hoder,

Any thoughts on how the brackets will survive getting laid down, especially on the exhaust side? That seems like something I'm going to do to my Husky some day.

Before I found out about the Dirt Bagz, I was also eyeing the bicycle bags and mounts available.

But I'd love to be able to mount a set of hard bags, perhaps from Touratech, with good long term results (no frame cracking, etc.). I always worry when I leave my junk on a bike in soft bags when I go in to a restaurant to eat, etc. Especially some of the places I'll be going with this 'un.

Ride reports:
- 10 Mar Baja
- 08 Feb Baja
- 07 Aug West coast PDX->SAN
- More!

edeslaur screwed with this post 05-30-2007 at 09:17 PM
edeslaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 11:22 PM   #1000
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
I haven't had the joy of crash testing the pannier supports yet, maybe someone else that has them can chime in (these are a stock Promoto Billet item). I've only seen one post on this & they survived fine. One thing to note is I really need to get some different turn signals. With the 2 spacers that Husky provides to prevent melting they stick too far out & mash into the bags. The Arkels have adjustable mounts so they may be able to be mounted far enough forward to clear but I won't know until I get them. I've been meaning to get some bendy ones any way
The Touratechs from what I understand are a $1200 setup. I don't carry $1200 worth of crap. We were discussing theft on my last ride with the big bike guys & one mentioned that he's only had one problem & that was at a Mariners game someone went thru his tank bag. With this setup or any other soft bag someone could take the whole bag if they wanted them that bad. I'm not going to worry about it & only keep what I need for the ride in them.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.

Hoder screwed with this post 05-30-2007 at 11:30 PM
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 01:27 PM   #1001
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
If anyone wants a cheap alternative for a windscreen, the one on my 950 was scratched up from tree branches etc so I ordered a new one, ($69 I think). Took the old one and cut off the lower portion so from the middle of the screen at the top to straight down it measures 12". Made some simple brackets by cutting some Lexan and used the top fork pinch bolts for anchors and voila!! I still get some air at helmet level but it doesn't buffet and it takes a lot of windblast off my chest.

If you go to Orange Crush and see how many people complain about their stock wind screens I would imagine you could pick one up cheap.

I'm going to replace the steel bolts that hold the screen to the Lexan mounting tabs with some kind of quick release fastener or maybe just some wingnuts for quick removal. I still haven't found it obtrusive for off roading though.
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #1002
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've posted this before but as it is a current topic...I am ordering my shield this week.

This will be my solution:

This shield is from a BMW F650 Dakar years 2000 to 2003. It is installed onto a Baja Designs Tecate Headlight.

Dan
Old 05-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #1003
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred
If anyone wants a cheap alternative for a windscreen, the one on my 950 was scratched up from tree branches etc so I ordered a new one, ($69 I think). Took the old one and cut off the lower portion so from the middle of the screen at the top to straight down it measures 12". Made some simple brackets by cutting some Lexan and used the top fork pinch bolts for anchors and voila!! I still get some air at helmet level but it doesn't buffet and it takes a lot of windblast off my chest...
Fred - can you post some pics of your set-up so we can see what it looks like?

I considered doing something like you did but went with a Laminar Lip held on by dual-lock connectors (description in this thread).

Simple add-on, fairly effective. Here's one pic:

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #1004
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I've posted this before but as it is a current topic...I am ordering my shield this week.

This will be my solution:

This shield is from a BMW F650 Dakar years 2000 to 2003. It is installed onto a Baja Designs Tecate Headlight.

Dan
I don't know Dan, that is not going to win any bueaty awards! I kind of like Levity's idea. No Offense
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #1005
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,042
beauty is in the eyes of, well you know the rest,,, I like the look, little bit of Dakar there

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote