Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 05:15 PM   #10516
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,263
Riding with my girlfriend in the Arkansas River Valley today and tomorrow... here's a photo from a few minutes ago

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:16 PM   #10517
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 982
Just got back from a six day trip to Death Valley. Put in just over 1500 miles. Washing the bike off today I noticed the dirt bags mount on the left side was loose. The bolt going through the subframe at the passenger peg has sheared off. I will be trying to run the threaded portion of the bolt out of the frame so I can replace the bolt... I had my tent and some extra fuel on the left side Dirtbagz, probably about ten pounds total. Had one get off at slow speed in very soft dirt between Beatty and Scotty's Junction, didn't even kill the engine. It was on the left side, not sure if that was the cause of the bolt shearing or vibration or just a weak bolt.

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
PacificPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #10518
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek
Riding with my girlfriend
How about a picture?

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 05:27 PM   #10519
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

A picture being worth a thousand words and all. A pic of the Husky just before it took its short dirt nap.
Attached Images

There's roads and there's roads and they call, can't you hear it? Roads of the earth and roads of the spirit. The best roads of all are the ones that aren't certain. One of those is where you'll find me till they drop the big curtain. Bruce Cockburn
Old 03-21-2009, 05:35 PM   #10520
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Another one from Death Valley. This was as I rolled out of my tent Wednsday morning.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #10521
Geek
oot & aboot

Old 03-21-2009, 06:29 PM   #10522
Geek
oot & aboot

Weather to the south...

Old 03-21-2009, 06:31 PM   #10523
Geek
oot & aboot

...time to head out for some night time singletrack

Old 03-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #10524
larryboy
Leisurely Liar

Oddometer: 13,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT
Another one from Death Valley. This was as I rolled out of my tent Wednsday morning.

Nice one. Sounds like a nice time.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #10525
Geek
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBandi
How about a picture?
Of CK?

Sure

Geek screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 06:49 PM
Old 03-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #10526
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Oddometer: 825
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificPT
Just got back from a six day trip to Death Valley. Put in just over 1500 miles. Washing the bike off today I noticed the dirt bags mount on the left side was loose. The bolt going through the subframe at the passenger peg has sheared off. I will be trying to run the threaded portion of the bolt out of the frame so I can replace the bolt... I had my tent and some extra fuel on the left side Dirtbagz, probably about ten pounds total. Had one get off at slow speed in very soft dirt between Beatty and Scotty's Junction, didn't even kill the engine. It was on the left side, not sure if that was the cause of the bolt shearing or vibration or just a weak bolt.
I just pulled that exact bolt on my scoot yesterday to check for damage. I cleaned the threads and put fresh Loctitie Blue on it. I'm sure its just a sub-standard (Grade 3) bolt that needs to be replaced with a Grade 8 bolt. The bolt not only takes the weight of the Dirt Bagz but anything else you might have strapped to the sub frame. On my 3500 mile TAT ride last fall, the bolt had backed out completely, even with Locktite on it; I discovered it when I was off-loading the bike back in Connecticut! I was lucky that the last portion of the ride was asphalt.
spanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #10527
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

I think I'm going with the Acewell 3950 for my next farkle. I particularly like the voltmeter function. On long, TAT-type rides I can monitor my charging system. My Beemer has left me stranded TWICE with a dead battery because I didn't know that the charging system had failed. It ended up being a connector (just above the rectifier for those with the F650 GS) that was dirty and intermittent. The point is, if your sucking your battery dry a hundred miles from nowhere and don't know it, these FI Husky's won't start with a half-dead battery. Other nice features are waterproof, aluminum housing, two trip odometers, temp sensor etc. It comes with a raw pigtail wiring bundle and connectors. Not for the faint of heart if you don't know wiring because you have to cut the existing computer connector off OR find a matching connector somewhere.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:51 AM   #10528
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

BTW, my stock computer has never worked right since I got the bike, I just gave up on it, even after re-booting etc.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:27 AM   #10529
spanker
bada bing, capiche?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanker
I think I'm going with the Acewell 3950 for my next farkle. I particularly like the voltmeter function. On long, TAT-type rides I can monitor my charging system. My Beemer has left me stranded TWICE with a dead battery because I didn't know that the charging system had failed. It ended up being a connector (just above the rectifier for those with the F650 GS) that was dirty and intermittent. The point is, if your sucking your battery dry a hundred miles from nowhere and don't know it, these FI Husky's won't start with a half-dead battery. Other nice features are waterproof, aluminum housing, two trip odometers, temp sensor etc. It comes with a raw pigtail wiring bundle and connectors. Not for the faint of heart if you don't know wiring because you have to cut the existing computer connector off OR find a matching connector somewhere.
Jim Davis is a Canadian living in Japan. He has a website dedicated to motorcycle connectors/wiring/tools etc, it's an awesome site. He even has bullet-style Japanese connectors for existing bikes or restorations. I bought a relay kit from him to wire up my PIAA's on the beemer. He has 12-pin connectors (for big but tidy wiring jobs like the computer) cheap but you need a 60.00 tool to do it right. Check it out here: http://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__...onnectors.html
Old 03-22-2009, 08:55 AM   #10530
PacificPT
Studly Adventurer

Spanker,

After looking at the bolt I believe you are probably correct about it being a lower grade. I got sidetracked yesterday and didn't get much else done. Today I will try and get the stuck part of the bolt out of the threads. I may have to pull the exhaust and battery to get enough room to work on it. I believe this bolt is the one supplied by Dirtbagz, not the stock unit. I need to pull my stuff out to check and see. For anyone about to take off on a long trip this might be a good thing to check. I was able to strap the passenger peg Dirtbagz mount together and make it last to get home. Luckily most of the really tough riding was already done.

I also broke off a turn signal, this is #3 for me on the left rear. I began using the Lockhart Phillips LED units after breaking the stocker. Guess I just need to keep a supply handy.

I also tried a remote ipod controller from SCOSCHE which worked really very well. No more fumbling for the ipod to adjust volume, turn it off or on etc. It is a RF controller and you can strap it to the handlebar. No extra wires to deal with. I give it a thumbs up.