Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #1126
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Oddometer: 785
KTM is not an Italian made item :) My first car was a Fiat and I still have nightmares, so I am admittedly prejudiced. The local riders are all recommending against the Husky on reliability grounds although from reading the posts this may no longer be justified. But at least locally the KTM has a solid reputation. How many Husky's have circumnavigated the globe??? None I am aware of.

...The local KTM dealer Scuderia has a proven track record, has rebuilt more than one of the early 950 motors after warranty was past on "good faith"....PLUS they allow demo rides.

Oh yeah, I am told the 690 will be a 12 month warranty, twice that I am being told of the Husky by two husky dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
How long is the warranty on the KTM 690?
Old 06-13-2007, 12:37 PM   #1127
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Hey deepc, you can come ride my 610 here in Elk Grove if you want. I hate having that nagging thought after buying a bike and NOT riding the competition.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM   #1128
ra2bach
drive-by poster

Oddometer: 4,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffus
Congrats on getting the Husky

Sounds like its already well set up, has it been properly jetted?, not sure if the handlebars are the same as on my 510, but I"m using EnduroEngineering barkbusters with Moose handgaurds, good looking & very strong setup. If you decide on new sprockets & chain, consider Afam for the c\s & Ironman(dirt trix) for the rear, very strong & long lasting from all the reports I read

P.S. you may want the bigger IMS tank, for extended range
thanks Ruffus. I've seen some handguards that have the turnsignals included. that seems cool as I can't imagine that I won't be ripping off the stock ones soon, either on purpose or by accident...

I'm not sure at all about the jetting. the PO is in Boulder and says it's jetted fine for him at that altitude on up into the high areas he has ridden, although I don't know if that's the stock jetting, or was rejetted by either him or the dealer.

I wonder what would be the result of bringing it down to GA (750 ft.) altitude. I suppose if I put on a pipe that I would have to rejet anyway, right?

and I do want to get a bigger tank but am concerned by the reports of them swelling or widening out. is this a big concern?

"having dreams to look forward to slows time..."

-- Freeflow

ra2bach screwed with this post 06-13-2007 at 01:09 PM
ra2bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM   #1129
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,053
Not sure about the 610 tanks, someone else will have to comment on any issues, as for jetting, if it has been jetted for high altitude, bringing it lower will just lean it out a bit. an adjustable fuel screw may be enough to compensate for the ride home, also if its been rejetted, PO may have the jets to optimise it for your altitude...... I've seen the handgaurds with integral signals, haven't heard much about people actually using them, except for a couple threads on home brew projects. Goodluck on your journey home, take a camera along & treat us to a ride report

P.S. one thing you might wanna get for your trip could be a Barnet clutch cable ? http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184172

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510

Ruffus screwed with this post 06-13-2007 at 01:32 PM
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:20 PM   #1130
motogo1
I don't want a pickle,...

Oddometer: 1,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcdiver
KTM is not an Italian made item :) My first car was a Fiat and I still have nightmares, so I am admittedly prejudiced. The local riders are all recommending against the Husky on reliability grounds although from reading the posts this may no longer be justified. But at least locally the KTM has a solid reputation. How many Husky's have circumnavigated the globe??? None I am aware of.

...The local KTM dealer Scuderia has a proven track record, has rebuilt more than one of the early 950 motors after warranty was past on "good faith"....PLUS they allow demo rides.

Oh yeah, I am told the 690 will be a 12 month warranty, twice that I am being told of the Husky by two husky dealers.
My dealer said the warranty was 6 months as I was buying the bike. I really didn't care because I believe any problem areas are going to show up in the first 6 months anyway. And if you take it out and beat the crap out of it, do you really think they will cover it under warranty. "Oh sir, I just ripped the chain guard off on a rock. Is that covered?"....I don't think so. Come on, you know how warranties work. Really not an issue IMO, but that is just me. After 3300 miles on my 610 since May, the gas cap leaks a bit, but other than that it has been perfect out of the box. Not like several KTM's in my history. They were 2 strokes, but always needed work, even though they were touted as 'perfect' out of the box.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #1131
valiant
I wanna go fast

Oddometer: 10
Cry te610 clutch cable woes

Like others I am having problems with premature clutch cable wear. I have 6000kms on the te610 now and a second clutch cable has began to frey about 2 inches from the lever end.

Has anybody attempted to fit a Magura or Hebo brand hydraulic clutch conversion to a TE 610?

I believe this could be an excellent solution that should provide a nice light feel and may even make neutral a bit easier to locate. The clutch cable on the 610 is routed so terribly from the left to the right and back to the left where it connects to the actuator arm and I am not sure if it will be possible to mount the slave cylinder in line with the actuator?

Any help / advice would be much appreciated.

DC
valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #1132
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant
Like others I am having problems with premature clutch cable wear. I have 6000kms on the te610 now and a second clutch cable has began to frey about 2 inches from the lever end.

Has anybody attempted to fit a Magura or Hebo brand hydraulic clutch conversion to a TE 610?

I believe this could be an excellent solution that should provide a nice light feel and may even make neutral a bit easier to locate. The clutch cable on the 610 is routed so terribly from the left to the right and back to the left where it connects to the actuator arm and I am not sure if it will be possible to mount the slave cylinder in line with the actuator?

DC

Have you routed the cable between the bar and clamps? That puts the cable in a more direct path to the lever...I have not read of anyone switching a 610 to hydrolic but there are a few that switched to the ASV lever. Also there is a Barnett Clutch cable that is of a higher quality if you need to replace the cable, I think there is a link in the Index.

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:57 PM   #1133
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiant

DC
I have one on my 300 and have looked at fitting it to the 610, the problem is that the Magura slave cylinder does not have enough travel for the 610, it is about a 1/4" too short of throw, The master cylinder only moves so much oil, so to get the travel from it you would have to have a smaller bore cyl which would not have the force , or you could make a shorter arm but the action might not be any easier, so unless they make a larger volume master cylinder, it is not going to work. They could do it. But most people don't use the clutch like you should and see no benefit from the hydraulic clutch. It was one of the best improvements to my 300.
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:46 PM   #1134
valiant
I wanna go fast

Oddometer: 10
Thankyou for your prompt replies. I have read other forums with guys having mentioned the Magura unit also failed them due to the limited length it will pull. The Hebo universal kit apparently has more adjustment and should do the trick. I have ordered one and will pick it up this weekend for $299 Australian dollars and attempt to fit it. I believe the clutch cable currently runs in it's most efficient path but I am still not happy with it. If the Hebo kit doesn't work I will opt for a barnett cable (have to order from USA) and an asv unbreakable lever which look like a pretty trick piece of equipment. I will keep you guys updated. I have my 610 set up as a supermotard for daily commuting so a nice light clutch would be lovely.
valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:28 AM   #1135
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

That's a generous offer, not heading your way in the near future but I'll let you know if I do....
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
Hey deepc, you can come ride my 610 here in Elk Grove if you want. I hate having that nagging thought after buying a bike and NOT riding the competition.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:33 AM   #1136
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,077
Quote:
That's a generous offer, not heading your way in the near future but I'll let you know if I do....
Okay. They're building some houses around the corner and you could ride on dirt and hit a couple little jumps too.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:17 PM   #1137
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

'06 vs. '07 differences....

Other than the color change are there any differences between the '06 and '07 TE610's???

Thanks!
Old 06-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #1138
rockchucker22
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Other than the color change are there any differences between the '06 and '07 TE610's???

Thanks!
from what I understand the differences are slight, husky web site says revised porting ,different piston, and they made some adjustments on the suspension, but I could easly be wrong I'm new to the husky world.

"The new version has had some highly significant modifications to the cylinder and head. " from husky web site.
rockchucker22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #1139
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchucker22
from what I understand the differences are slight, husky web site says revised porting ,different piston, and they made some adjustments on the suspension, but I could easly be wrong I'm new to the husky world.

"The new version has had some highly significant modifications to the cylinder and head. " from husky web site.
I think those statements relate to the changes made for 06'
Info from Husky site: http://www.husqvarnausa.com/
From what I understand these are the changes:
360W stator output required for EU FI...
Rear plate seperate piece and Illuminated
Muffler guard
New contour to seat as well as different padding
Water Temp sensor now on Head

We have yet to hear of someone testing the stator ouput but there have been a few posts of trouble with battery overcharging or indicating such...
The seat is a bit lower but not much and I wouldn't imagine drastically more comfortable either...
Muffler guard comes with Dirtbags if you go that route and are looking at used 06' or Leftovers...
WaterTemp sensor is not likely relative as the bike cools well as I have yet to read of an instance of overheating...

Disclaimer: I ain't no expert I just read what others share and try to pass the info along...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:50 PM   #1140
deepcdiver
Nobody Special

Thanks!

Still have not heard how the bikes do on low grade Mexican gas, not red. My GS does ok on the "hi-test" or even 50/50 but does not like the Mx "regular".

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
I think those statements relate to the changes made for 06'
Info from Husky site: http://www.husqvarnausa.com/
From what I understand these are the changes:
360W stator output required for EU FI...
Rear plate seperate piece and Illuminated
Muffler guard
New contour to seat as well as different padding
Water Temp sensor now on Head

We have yet to hear of someone testing the stator ouput but there have been a few posts of trouble with battery overcharging or indicating such...
The seat is a bit lower but not much and I wouldn't imagine drastically more comfortable either...
Muffler guard comes with Dirtbags if you go that route and are looking at used 06' or Leftovers...
WaterTemp sensor is not likely relative as the bike cools well as I have yet to read of an instance of overheating...

Disclaimer: I ain't no expert I just read what others share and try to pass the info along...

Dan