Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2006, 07:24 AM   #106
bpeterson
I just tweeted it

Oddometer: 1,032
Took the TE out this weekend for it's second weekend of off-road riding - had a great time getting to know it's offroad abilities. This trip was a lot more rocks/roots/dirt than the previous weekend which was mostly sand.

Here's the ride report posted by Dr. Rock. It was his first time in the dirt and he did exceptionally well on a DR650 w/street tires.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165714

Overall I love the power of the TE, and it's ability to crawl through some of the knarly stuff. We really did some pretty rough off-road sections, that are not shown in some of the photos. The suspension was spot on. I hit a few big rocks (~15-18") and was surprised how well the forks soaked them up. I was sure the wheel would be toast, but it wasn't!

A few things I need to change:
  • remove the steering locks. There were a few low speed technical sections that I had to stop/push back/forward/back/forward to make. Only because the front wheel has such a wide turning radius.
  • change the gearing a bit. I'm pretty sure I don't have the stock gearing (bought the bike used), but I'd like a slightly lower first & second gear. I'll drop the CS down a tooth or two.
  • shorten the clutch throw a bit. Mine engages almost at the end. I prefer it to engage a bit closer to the grip.
All those things are fixable by me, except the steering lock, and I'll get them done before the next ride.

The MT21 tires did very well. I ran them about 18 lbs., with 1 rimlock on the back. They hook up very well in the loose dirt.
'02 DR-Z 400S - for sale soon
'06 TE 610 - sold
bpeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #107
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Well guys I guess I might be the first to crush his radiators...I took a detour across a railroad track and upon trying to pick up the bike over the tracks I dumped it on its side, now my left radiator is bent in a bit. Should I fix it? Who do I send it to? Can I get guards to prevent it from happening again? TIA

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 PM   #108
ssecrest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Well guys I guess I might be the first to crush his radiators...I took a detour across a railroad track and upon trying to pick up the bike over the tracks I dumped it on its side, now my left radiator is bent in a bit. Should I fix it? Who do I send it to? Can I get guards to prevent it from happening again? TIA

Dan
Well, that sucks. How bad is it bent in and where ... any creases?
I say, if it ain't leaking and doesn't look like it will fall off then it doesn't
need fixing.
I haven't seen any gaurds for it yet ... haven't been looking for gaurds tho
so good luck finding and of course ... report on where you got 'em.

Steve in Cincy
ssecrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 05:09 PM   #109
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Damn I went out to look closer and I bent them both . I guess I am going to have to learn to not drop the bike as much . They aren't leaking but they are both tweeked pretty good. Now that I look at them they really are exposed in a fall and extra support would be good. I may get my fabricator to make me something so I don't ruin the radiators and get stranded...

Dan

P.S.
I just realized why I bent my radiators. I mounted the Aerostitch bags as tank panniers and they rest against the shrouds. I had my AdvPump in one of them and other Hard stuff in the other. I won't make that mistake again , what a dumbass I am...

buffallodan screwed with this post 09-13-2006 at 05:19 PM
Old 09-13-2006, 05:29 PM   #110
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,686
Quote:
Who do I send it to?
I've never tried them, but I've heard good things..

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #111
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:

Dan
keep us posted on how you solve this buffalodan, if I didn't like this bike so much, I would say it's too tall for me..just a question of time.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 12:09 PM   #112
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
FOR SALE: 06 TE 610, 400 miles, $5800. Located in Honolulu
PM me if interested. I will deliver to local (Oahu) dealer or shipper of your choice.
Cheers

GuinnesS screwed with this post 09-15-2006 at 06:10 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #113
Speaker
What's an estart?

Oddometer: 888
So fellas, there's a 1996 610wxc for a good price near me. Should I buy it and DS it?
Speaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 07:28 AM   #114
Mat_Sci
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Laugh Just got mine, now I need to ride

I made a mad dash from Boise ID to San Jose CA last monday to pick up a '06 TE610 with 1500 miles on it. I actually picked up two bikes, the 610 and a '99 WR400 that was all tricked out and DS'd. Got both for $6000 and the cost of picking them up. I sold the WR to my buddy for $1500 and we took his rig to pick them up .

So now I have the first '06 TE610 (what I was told) to be sold in CA. It has had the Tank replaced due to leaking and the Head gasket. Are there any other issues that the first ones to the States had? I hope for many years of trouble free riding.

I want a skid plate, any suggestions. I checked the Utah sportcycle web sight and they did not have 06 listed.
Mat_Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 08:38 AM   #115
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Utah plate for older model fits the 06. You will need to move the holes or dremel them toward center to allow the bolts to fit. I will look for pics and post them later. The crankbolt is likely addressed as it was a first run bike but next oil change I would check it to be sure. In the index there are threads addressing how to go about checking torque.

Dan

Welcome to the group Mat,
You are gonna enjoy the 610.
Oh I send a pm to Rwamf as he is the one who posted the pics of the bash plate install but I couldn't find them for you. He should get back with me soon...

buffallodan screwed with this post 09-17-2006 at 09:04 AM
Old 09-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #116
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by potatoho
I've never tried them, but I've heard good things..

http://www.motorcycleradiators.com/
I've had several radiators fixed by Myler's and they've done a great job every time. They turn them very quickly too.

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:03 AM   #117
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Gaspipe,
I have a ride planned for next weekend, but after I am going to tear down the Husky and do a good once over and send the rad's in while I am at it.
I appreciate the advice on the repair.

Dan
Old 09-18-2006, 07:57 AM   #118
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Oh I send a pm to Rwamf as he is the one who posted the pics of the bash plate install but I couldn't find them for you.
Will these work? I also drilled the second oil hole in the bottom. It doesn't look right from this angle but it's directly under the plug.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:01 AM   #119
squids leap
Wanabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
partial owner

This may be a little early to sign in on the owners sign in thread but I'm getting closer, I just put my deposit down on the 610, now I just have to sell my CBR to ge the rest of the $. I can't wait to get my new bike, this will be the first bike I have ever had that can go in the dirt so I'm getting ready for a long learning curve.

Since a lot of you have had your 610 for a while, could you tell me aprox how much the bike drops when the shox are broke in? I'm vertically challanged and as a result I can't get the bike off the kickstand, I'm still kicking the idea around to lower the bike a little, but I don't really want to if I don't have too. I have a 29 inch inseam so the bike is pretty tall at the showroom. I think if the kickstand was longer I could get the bike up easier, the rear shock doesn't even compress when I try to sit on it due to the angle. Any other shorties out there on the 610?

Thanks
squids leap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:36 PM   #120
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

I couldn't get the shock to compress either so had the dealer back off on the preload thinking he would use a spanner. He bitched up the threads instead but he did lower it . Lube threads, Use a punch and grind it to make better contact and you won't damage the rings; so using a spanner later won't be an issue...sry for hijack of sort...
I personally would back off on the preload and achieve a 4" sag so it is easier for you to get accustomed to the bike. It wouldn't hurt even to go 4-1/2" rear sag and raise the forks in the triples to get the front balanced with the rear. Once the shocks start to break in you can gradually raise them back up.
Good luck, and enjoy the ride, oh and welcome to the asylum...

Dan