Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2007, 01:21 PM   #1426
strongleftleg
Rider on the storm

Oddometer: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
As long as as I don't get butt scabs like the stock seat gave me I'll be happy.
Butt scabs? Is that what happens after a bad case of monkey butt?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:14 PM   #1427
Jakester
Homme du Nord

Oddometer: 34
Jakester

My first thought, how did I get here? I'm home, in bed. Everything hurts. Oh, now it's coming back. When will I ever learn. Don't mix beer with liquor. Bad combination. Better go out and check on the V-Strom, piggy that it is.
What?....(blood draining away from head). Some red and white motorcycle? How did that get in my garage? Have I taken to theft during my blackout periods?
Wait, I sort of remember standing in Heinen's, signing papers. Must have bought a new bike. What the heck is it? Husqvarna TE 610. Why is my Husky lawnmower KTM orange, and this thing is Honda red and white?
As soon as my head clears, I'm going to have to read through all the great comments you guys have posted. Try to figure out something about this bike. I know it's made in Sweden, or someplace on the Baltic. Nobody seems to want to take credit for the thing. Is it a Cagiva?, an MV Augusta? or a Husqvarna? Sure has a lumpy idle for a V-twin!
Special thanks to BuffaloDan for all the effort.
Jakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:40 AM   #1428
ThatGuyEd
Mud Lover

Oddometer: 591
V-twin??

Hahahahhaha..

Your subconscious seems to know whats good for you.
Drink up.
ThatGuyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:49 AM   #1429
Jakester
Homme du Nord

Oddometer: 34
Do-it yourself custom seat

Well, I guess it's not a V-twin after all. Sure has torque like one. Seriously, I bought the TE 610 before finding this string. After going through most of the posts, my confidence level in the bike has gone way up. Only repair problem so far (600 miles) is a leaky fuel petcock that I epoxied at the sending wire.
I cutoff the knob where the return spring for the kickstand hits. Works like a regular kickstand now. Also removed all the emission nonsense.
Like most everyone, I found the seat not so great for extended riding. Had the original equipment seat from my 2000 Electra Glide up in the attic. Took the seat pan from the front half of the Harley and pop riveted it the the seat pan from the Husky. Cut about two inches off the outside edges of the HD seat pan, and also cut down and shaped the corresponding amount of HD foam. Then, restapled the HD seat cover to the Husky seat pan, leaving the "backrest channel" in the vinyl for access to the rear twist mounting bolt for the Husky seat. If anyone tries this, be sure to reset the four "buttons" that hold the vinyl down.
The seat is now comfortable for multi hour rides. Only downside is that it's a little more slippery than I would like. I'll bet old HD Electra Glide stock seats are available on Craigslist or Ebay for almost nothing. Only tools needed are a bread knife and a good staple gun. I found the 5/8ths inch staples work much better than 1/4 inch.
I have photos, but I guess they are "too large" to post. If anyone wants, I can reset my camera to smaller Jpeg and retake.
Jakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #1430
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Post up pics of the Hogsky!

Xfool screwed with this post 08-16-2007 at 03:41 PM
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #1431
HuskyGuy
Tech Geek

Oddometer: 39
Eh? BMW to buy Husqvarna

Hey there folks, loong time lurker here and I just got some news that brought me out of hiding. I just read in Motorcycle Product News (MPN) that BMW is going to buy Husqvarna . They signed the deal on July 19. Here is the link.

http://mpnmag.com/site/content/artic...neid=10#story2
HuskyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:15 AM   #1432
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,659
Did somebody have a solution to make the air filter...you know...filter? What a crappy airbox.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:46 AM   #1433
El Zilcho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyGuy
Hey there folks, loong time lurker here and I just got some news that brought me out of hiding. I just read in Motorcycle Product News (MPN) that BMW is going to buy Husqvarna . They signed the deal on July 19. Here is the link.

http://mpnmag.com/site/content/artic...neid=10#story2
There were a few threads around about it on July 19 too mate :)
El Zilcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:36 AM   #1434
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Yea, I haven't gotten a real good test ride in but I can tell it will make a big difference once I get used to it and can dial it in correctly for the terrain. Here is a pic:

Dan
Dan,

Where did you end up routing your clutch cable? Any length issues? You did have the 1.5 inch longer Barnett right?

So you have:

1. PT Enduro Submount
2. Scotts damper
3. Scotts clamp and tower for what model?

Is that it? Thanks.

Lee
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:08 AM   #1435
Xfool
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
IMO that steering damper arm is just begging to be bolted to the tank mounting bolt. I have seen some discussion here concerned with leverage ratio of the arm. That doesn’t matter, think about the physics of the installation, all that is important is that the arm be held stationary and rigidly attached to the frame. The arm could be attached to the rear tail light and the torque to turn the bars would still be the same. The torque, or power, need to turn the bars is all the damper is trying to control. The arm length makes no difference........

Xfool screwed with this post 08-17-2007 at 05:41 AM
Xfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:59 AM   #1436
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
Dan,

Where did you end up routing your clutch cable? Any length issues? You did have the 1.5 inch longer Barnett right?

So you have:

1. PT Enduro Submount
2. Scotts damper
3. Scotts clamp and tower for what model?

Is that it? Thanks.

Lee
I have the stock cable and it is a little tight. I need to order the Barnett...

Originally Posted by SKINNY
How about a list of parts??
what damper - Scotts
what tower pin - Scotts from Kit for TE-250
what triple clamp - Stock
What bar clamp - PTenduro
Stock tank or IMS - IMS , stock does not have clearance

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:21 AM   #1437
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks Dan. I missed all that info previously I guess.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 AM   #1438
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfool
IMO that steering damper arm is just begging to be bolted to the tank mounting bolt. I have seen some discussion here concerned with leverage ratio of the arm. That doesn’t matter, think about the physics of the installation, all that is important is that the arm be held stationary and rigidly attached to the frame. The arm could be attached to the rear tail light and the torque to turn the bars would still be the same. The torque, or power, need to turn the bars is all the damper is trying to control. The arm length makes no difference........
I can't believe PT Enduro or someone hasn't made a tank bolt tower either. I guess it's just another example....
Old 08-17-2007, 09:12 AM   #1439
rajobigguy
rajobigguy

Oddometer: 74
arm lenght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xfool
You are right. All you really need is a stationary point to mount the arm too. the problem is torque mutilplication going from the steering head to that small tank bolt. The tank bolt is really small to begin with and needs to be lenghtened to accomadate the arm. That means that you are allready putting a lot of leverage on that smalll bolts. If you team that up with relatively long span from the damper to the mounting bolt it all adds up to a potential broken post. Puting a larger bolt in the tank hold down might be an option but the welded nut on the backbone of the frame is not very big to begin with so you would need to weld on a larger one. This is not a big deal for some of us but for someone looking for a direct bolt on it might present some challanges.

rajobigguy screwed with this post 08-17-2007 at 02:11 PM
rajobigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:08 AM   #1440
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
The individual that made the tank bolt tower pin was a machinist. He did not post back how it held up nor did he respond to countless inquiries about the bolt. I am assuming it did not hold up and he did not want to admit he was unable to make it work. I also have some info, albiet speculative, that there was a failure causing damage to the damper. I cannot prove my speculation but sometimes 2 + 2 does equal 4...It will take a very good design to make the tank bolt work if you are able to consider the amount of forse that is applied to the tower pin. I personally do not see it as a viable or safe possiblity. I do have an idea for a tower pin that might be workable but I need to be able to sit down and draw it up before I ask Coling to look at it...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote