Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #1441
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajobigguy
the problem is torque mutilplication going from the steering head to that small tank bolt. The tank bolt is really small to begin with and needs to be lenghtened to accomadate the arm. That means that you are allready putting a lot of leverage on that smalll bolts. If you team that up with relatively long span from the damper to the mounting bolt it all adds up to a potential broken post.
I have to disagree. If it were just a small 6mm stud sticking up off the frame there might be fatigue issues but I think the washer that holds the tank should spread the load more than enough.

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:25 PM   #1442
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoder
I have to disagree. If it were just a small 6mm stud sticking up off the frame there might be fatigue issues but I think the washer that holds the tank should spread the load more than enough.
I don't think it is as much a problem of the post being strong enough to support the pin, but rather, how to attach the pin in a way that will keep it from rotating on the post. The torque that will be applied by the Dampers Lever Arm will be significant,one simply needs to look at how the Tower Pin is designed by Scott. It mounts to the Head Tube and is fairly heavy stainless steel. To get comperable strength, one needs to understand the leverages that are involved and I can't think of a way to fasten a pin to the post that would prevent it from moving. If the pin were square or hex...but a round post would be hard to fasten to, just using the holding forse of the torque on the threads. It looked like the Pin that was made by the machinist was shaped to take advantage of the tank for some torsional resistance but that can't be proven... I wondered if another post could be added behind the stock post so there would be two locations for bolts to hold the pin...and so it goes...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #1443
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,128
I don't know why anybody wants one of those stabilizer things? I can see it for running Dakar at 120 mph in sand.

Anywho, is that horse dead yet?

Am I the only one that is extremely unhappy with the air filter situation? The peice of junk doesn't filter the air. I'm glad I caught the problem with only 500 miles or so of dirt going in the motor. I'm sure the motor life has been cut by a large amount. Ya'll better check your air filters. I'm guessing that once we see more miles on these bike that we'll be hearing about a lot of scored pistons and cylinders.

I better cut up a spare filter and put it in over the screen as a stop gap until I figure out how to make this air box filter the air that goes into the motor.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:15 AM   #1444
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
Larry, larry, larry. I love you and all but your stabilizer comment sounds like someone who has never ever ridden with one. Don't be naive, they work...at all speeds in all conditions....period. Now some bikes do need them more than others and the big TE is a pretty stable battleship. You're just tired of hearing about them.

And I love the air filter on the TE?! Mine seals like a champ and I'd never even a spec of dust in my boot. I think yours might be tweaked or something? Maybe some neoprene around the sealing area will help? My 2.

Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy
I don't know why anybody wants one of those stabilizer things? I can see it for running Dakar at 120 mph in sand.

Am I the only one that is extremely unhappy with the air filter situation? The peice of junk doesn't filter the air. I'm glad I caught the problem with only 500 miles or so of dirt going in the motor. I'm sure the motor life has been cut by a large amount. Ya'll better check your air filters. I'm guessing that once we see more miles on these bike that we'll be hearing about a lot of scored pistons and cylinders.

I better cut up a spare filter and put it in over the screen as a stop gap until I figure out how to make this air box filter the air that goes into the motor.
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 AM   #1445
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy

Why do you think it is not sealing? What part of the design of the airbox do you see causing it not to seal? Mine has worked fine from day one and you are the first to complain of it not sealing afaik...Did you use good filter oil and grease the inner lip of the airbox?

Dan
p.s. dumb question but your filter does have the metal internal support right?
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #1446
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky123
You're just tired of hearing about them.

And I love the air filter on the TE?! Mine seals like a champ and I'd never even a spec of dust in my boot. I think yours might be tweaked or something? Maybe some neoprene around the sealing area will help? My 2.

Lee
I must be tired of hearing about them, sorry for the baby rant. Run 'em if you like 'em.

Maybe riding in a pack of 500 bikes makes the air filter problem show up a little more? I probably wouldn't have noticed doing my normal lonely rides. The dirt is getting around the lower edge. I'll figure out something.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #1447
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Why do you think it is not sealing? What part of the design of the airbox do you see causing it not to seal? Mine has worked fine from day one and you are the first to complain of it not sealing afaik...Did you use good filter oil and grease the inner lip of the airbox?

Dan
p.s. dumb question but your filter does have the metal internal support right?
It is my first cleaning(1200 miles) and there was a pound of dirt behind the air fliter. I really don't know why it doesn't seal..maybe the edge doesn't get pushed down firm enough?

The metal thingy with the washers welded to it is there.

It made me sick to see all that dirt behind the filter. I really doubt I'm the only one in this boat. I really don't see how this thing is filtering well for anybody. I'm going to try splitting some vacuum tubing and wrapping the edge of the cage to get a better seal.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #1448
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
TE610 Transmission Shifting

I'm busy putting miles on my '06 TE610. It's got the new clutch cable. Got 175 miles on it so far. Now it's better than 50-50 that you can find neutral while it's running....so I think that problem is going away. Something new is bugging me. There's almost like a second neutral between 5th in 6th. If you're putting along at 40 to 50 in 5th (not 6th), so the engine won't chug and buck, all you have to do is BREATHE on the shifter and it will pop out of 5th...sometimes to neutral...and of course over rev. Trans upshifts and downshift very smooth otherwise when you're accelerating....accelerating easy or hard...it doesn't care...but cruising in 5th it's easy to make it jump to 6th or neutral...kinda embarrasing at times. Anybody experience this?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #1449
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,055
anytime my current & past bikes started shifting funny, I changed the oil & all was well, not saying this is your issue, but then again, it might be, how old is your oil?

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:54 PM   #1450
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,469
Oil is the original. 175 miles. Changing it is a good, cheap thing to do. Thanks. Ed
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #1451
mjf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
New TE610 owner.

Last night I recieved the call that my 610 was waiting for me at the shipping yard . Put it together today and I have a few questions. Are there spacers for the front wheel? Or does the tappered axel and the caliper hold it centered? My shipping crate was damaged so I do not know what I am missing. I am missing the red side pannels. The dealer will ship me out a set so I am good there.

Thank you.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #1452
husky123
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,454
mjf,

1 spacer on the left side, none on the right. Just slide the axle in. Tighten the right side pinch bolts (two 8mm heads). Then tighten the left (large allen fitting). Loosen the two pinch bolts you just tightened. Let the axle "align itself" (either by spinning the front wheel and jamming the front brake a few times or pushing down on the forks) and tighten both sides. It's good to go. Husky's quick change front axle.

husky123 screwed with this post 08-19-2007 at 06:34 AM
husky123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM   #1453
mjf
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Cool, thank you. I was not sure since my crate was damaged and I am missing stuff.
mjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:11 PM   #1454
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,285
Air box set up

I had to glue the crank case vent plug at the rear of the airbox after the first ride. The elbow pops off to easily. Use heavy grease around the back side edge of the air filter and the air box works very well. Without grease you will see a mild dust coating inside the air box. Also check that you have all 4 rubber contact pads on your cover. Mine came with 3 from the dealer. I had to add one to get the even pressure on the air filter cage.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM   #1455
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
....Use heavy grease around the back side edge of the air filter and the air box works very well. Without grease you will see a mild dust coating inside the air box. ......
Many years ago, using grease was the norm even on auto air filters.
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote