Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #1471
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
It is not just about the bike, as much as what riding opportunities one has that can really make the difference. Here in Kentucky there are only a few places to ride offroad and those would really be better suited to an even smaller bike. I want the 990 so I can get out West in short order and ride some of those open expanses...the 610 is a great bike and I don't think I am going to sell it, especially considering how much I have spent in making it a better bike. I just dream of adding the Adv. to the stable...you are right though, that much dosh would finance a few trips ...
I think I am gonna spoon on the Scorpians and get a screen installed before I decide if I have to have the 990...

Dan
+1

I'm in the same position.

I am keeping my 610...

Then I am selling my FJR1300 sport touring bike and getting a 990 next spring. I do a lot of touring and it would be nice to hook up a few dirt roads on some of the trips. Idaho is full of them.
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:31 PM   #1472
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I had to glue the crank case vent plug at the rear of the airbox after the first ride. The elbow pops off to easily. Use heavy grease around the back side edge of the air filter and the air box works very well. Without grease you will see a mild dust coating inside the air box. Also check that you have all 4 rubber contact pads on your cover. Mine came with 3 from the dealer. I had to add one to get the even pressure on the air filter cage.
Mine only has 3 of the snubbers. Maybe that is the problem? It seems better with the outer wire wrapped in vacuum tubing. Slathered grease everywhere and plenty of filter oil. I'll look at the crank vent, thanks for the tips!!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:58 AM   #1473
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
These are the places (though they are east of me, and much closer,) that make me wonder about the long distance roadability and carrying capacity of the TE.
Read these threads if you haven't already:

BigDog & Gaspipe Do The TransAm Trail West

Pandilla Terracería a Creel: Road Less Traveled Part 3

These threads should give you an idea of what the TE is capable of...keeping in mind Bigdog has an ass of steel and has thousands of miles on KLR's ...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:23 AM   #1474
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag
I am keeping my 610... Then I am selling my FJR1300 sport touring bike and getting a 990 next spring.
Yer killin' me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffallodan
Read these threads if you haven't already:
Thanks.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #1475
Fred
Banned

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle
Would you please tell more about your comparison of these two bikes? I want to get one or the other. The KTM 950 is my dream bike, but I have lately been very tempted by the TE610.
I was so fed up with my 950 that I sold it back to the dealer while the engine was out of it. Just talked to the dealer yesterday and after 12 weeks in the shop they finally got all the parts to finish the job. Owner took it out for a spin and it still doesn't run right They're hoping it's just bad fuel. Well, after being in the tank for over 3 months, I tend to agree

I think I got a 950 made in China. Worst bike, new or used I've ever owned.

Bought an 06 Speed Triple and the difference in workmanship and quality is stunning. Plus this bike will get me home.

000000000000000 problems with the 07 TE610 so far. Excellent bike!
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #1476
Jakester
Homme du Nord

Oddometer: 34
DIY Hogsky Seat photos

Here's a couple of photos of the "Hogsky" seat. If I ever go to sell this bike, the seat can be returned to original in about a half hour. The seat pan will have a few extra holes where the pop rivets were, but the foam and cover will be like new.

It's very comfortable!

Tools needed: drill, pop rivet gun, bread knife, saw to cut the Harley seat pan in half between driver and passenger, contact adhesive for extra holding power, 5/8th inch staples, small screw driver to remove the existing staples in the Husky seat pan, pliers to pull out loose staples.

FYI - My original post about the drinking & purchase of this bike was complete fiction, hope somebody got a laugh........

Jakester screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 07:37 PM
Jakester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:29 PM   #1477
Jakester
Homme du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakester
Here's a couple of photos of the "Hogsky" seat. If I ever go to sell this bike, the seat can be returned to original in about a half hour. The seat pan will have a few extra holes where the pop rivets were, but the foam and cover will be like new.

It's very comfortable!

Tools needed: drill, pop rivet gun, bread knife, saw to cut the Harley seat pan in half between driver and passenger, contact adhesive for extra holding power, 5/8th inch staples, small screw driver to remove the existing staples in the Husky seat pan, pliers to pull out loose staples.

FYI - My original post about the drinking & purchase of this bike was complete fiction, hope somebody got a laugh........
Another photo

Jakester screwed with this post 11-29-2007 at 07:37 PM
Old 08-21-2007, 10:44 AM   #1478
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,826
jakester,,,

I wish you would have been drinking that night before you purchased your 610.. I might have made it over to Heinen's a few hours before you to purchase the 610 I had planned on picking up from them. When I arrived to buy it, they said a guy had just purchased it.. They had it listed on EBAY for $6100 (new). Lucky you!
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 03:58 PM   #1479
Jakester
Homme du Nord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
jakester,,,

I wish you would have been drinking that night before you purchased your 610.. I might have made it over to Heinen's a few hours before you to purchase the 610 I had planned on picking up from them. When I arrived to buy it, they said a guy had just purchased it.. They had it listed on EBAY for $6100 (new). Lucky you!
Fast, don't feel bad. I think I got the second to the last one. There was one on the showfloor and they said there was another one still in the crate. I'm going to have to check E-Bay next time, they sold it to me for $6,200. But, then agian, I'm not real sure Heinen's is real on top of their inventory. Very sorry if I ended up with your bike. Hope you get one too, I have not regretted the purchase for one second.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:24 PM   #1480
buffallodan OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast55
jakester,,,

There are a 2 TE's and one SM in the fleamarket...just a fyi

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 05:11 PM   #1481
9Mile
Leaving the world of HD

Oddometer: 65
Late to the discussion

Just caught up on the thread and found "CBIGS" impression of the 950. I think his impression was pretty well spot on with my experience. I purchased a TE610 a few months back and aside from the uncomfortable seat I haven't had any second thoughts. I sold my '06 950 ADV S following the purchase of the Husqvarna and feel I made a wise choice.
Don't get me wrong...I really liked the 950 for what it was but riding single track in the NW was awful tough. I was constantly aware that a small fall could be exceptionally costly. Get to the dead end of a narrow trail or side hill obstacle and good luck! I did my own maintenance and didn't feel the KTM was all that bad to work on--just time consuming. I love KTM and most of the products they produce but my dealer support is horrible (arrogance combined with ignorance is never a good mix!) Also, I wasn't too pleased with the lengthy wait for parts when the starter TSB and brake recalls occurred.
My nearest Husky dealer is 6 hours away but provides such tremendous service and phone support that I feel comfortable that any problems will be handled properly. Still love the 950 but just feel the Husky is better in some regard, depends on the purpose I guess! I did contemplate keeping both of the bikes but honestly don't think I'd ever have ridden the KTM enough to justify it. Hard decision until you try both I suppose.
9Mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:11 PM   #1482
rajobigguy
rajobigguy

Oddometer: 74
Wow 100 pages of Husky!
Its amazing how much traction Husky has gained in the market place over the last few years. They have always made good bikes and it seems that the world is finally catching on. The facts that they were recently accquired by BMW says a lot about their growth potential.
Roger
rajobigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 06:12 PM   #1483
rajobigguy
rajobigguy

Oddometer: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajobigguy
Wow 100 pages of Husky!
Its amazing how much traction Husky has gained in the market place over the last few years. They have always made good bikes and it seems that the world is finally catching on. The facts that they were recently accquired by BMW says a lot about their growth potential.
Roger

OK so its only 99 pages I am sure that will change any minute.
rajobigguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:07 PM   #1484
ronsolo
Hooplehead

Oddometer: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajobigguy
OK so its only 99 pages I am sure that will change any minute.

Here's some 610 pictures and my small adventure last weekend.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258917
ronsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 08:09 PM   #1485
Hoder
Card carrying greeny

Oddometer: 1,019
Am I there?

Dave:
The 610 really makes me want to ride like a punk everywhere I go.
bikefrk:
You now understand supermoto.
Your training is complete.
Hoder is offline   Reply With Quote