ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 01:49 PM   #46
Rip
Incognito

Oddometer: 65
At Hatteras and Ocracoke (Nat'l Park laws apply) you can ride anything on the beach that is licensed for road use...ie: the dual sports we've ridden out there forever.

Ft. Fisher I would think would be the same, but I guess not.

Portsmouth Island people take 4 wheelers to all the time. The legality end I am unsure of. But I would think a street legal dual sport would be legal there as with the rest of the Nat'l Park lands at Ocracoke and Hatteras.

But hell yeah, early November is when I want to make this thing happen anyway. I'm in for sure.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:53 PM   #47
Rip
Incognito

Hey Jerry, I just checked out your website. Pretty cool, but you're missing something....water tours and a boat!!!

I just happen to know a USCG licensed captain (me!!! lol) and I might be moving to Wilmington fairly soon anyway. Hook it up!!!
Old 10-14-2006, 04:27 AM   #48
OldBMWMaster
Banned

Oddometer: 4,185
Ft. Fisher is different

You are right about Ft. Fisher being different. As soon as the area became state property, instead of federal property; restrictions came one right after another.

Now there is an "advisory board" that is hostile to all things motorized. Except of course THEIR VEHICLES, which are used for the "turtle project". Now mind you I have lived on the island since 1949 and the turtle population and the bird population have flourished all that time; eventhough in the past I have ridden my horses here...now banned. Drove my dune buggies...now banned. Hunted for ducks...now banned. Deer hunted...now banned.
What is really interesting is that they do not want "tracks" to disrupt wildlife; but their "tracks" include permanent structures. An aquarium, administrative offices, bath house, gazebos, etc.. My "tracks" disappear with the rain and the wind; when will the wildlife be able to reclaim the habitat lost to these permanent structures?

These control freaks have even been able to get the fishermen banned from the park at night during the "season". We pretty much have it to ourselves during the winter.

Barb and I were out there 2 winters ago with our dogs and though we were the ONLY people who were braving the 30 degree weather and the 25mph wind, we were threatened with a $300 fine for not having our dogs on a leash. Don't you just love control freaks with guns and badges?
OldBMWMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 AM   #49
SkylineKeith
Motorcycle Junkie

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBMWMaster
You can get on the beach there but due the time we didn't.
Made our way up the coast to Wilmington for some food and coffee.
Went home from there. We are looking to get together again the first or
second weekend in November. Any takers

Sorry guys, but motorcycles and 4 wheelers are NOT allowed on the beach at Ft. fisher; only 4x4 vehicles. We live in Kure Beach and operate Pleasure Island Safaris www.pleasureislandsafari.com . I sold my 1961 R69S three months ago. It was a tough one to let go; I have had it since 1974, but a friend's Dad really wanted it. I just started a rebuild on a 1971 R50/6, so I will be ready to ride this Spring.

Jerry
OldBMWMaster,

If you need any help working on your BMW this winter, give me a shout. I'll shoot you my cell via pm and we can ride together this spring.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some of the characters that responded to this thread in the near future.

Ride safe folks...

SkylineKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #50
CanyonRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Anyone interested in riding this weekend?

I'm planning to do a Saturday ride from Raleigh along the VA border to Eliz City, down to Edenton, across the east dismal swamp, back to lil' Washington and back home in time for dinner. All pavement (I took the TKCs off last weekend), but is should be perdie.

Wadaya say? Lemeno.
CanyonRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:20 PM   #51
SirRidzALot
No Longer a Lurker

Oddometer: 42
I wanted to make myself known to the rest of the Raleigh area riders. I have been lurking for while (like so many others) and decided to be an active participant.

My MC riding story is a common one... rode into my early 20's and got back into it 20 years later. I love to ride - great release from the day-to-day work world. I bought a '01 GS a couple of months ago and after a little over 2k miles I find myself preferring it over my wing.

I would be interested in connecting with some local adventure riders for pavement or off-road (I'm a novice - noob to the dirt / gravel) rides. Let me know.

Regards,
Robin
SirRidzALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #52
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Hi, I'm in Southern Pines and ride an '06 HP2. I have both knobs and street motard set up for the bike. Let's ride!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:36 PM   #53
Rip
Incognito

Glad to see some more locals slowly popping up.

Other than riding to work, I'm going to keep my bike time limited for a while, at least the offroading part...I drove in the demolition derbies all weekend at the state fair. Needless to say, I'm a little banged up and sore at the moment.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM   #54
mtnyeti
Caveman

Oddometer: 415
So when's the next ride? Sunday sounds like a good day.....
Old 10-24-2006, 01:07 PM   #55
Rip
Incognito

How about a motorcycle demolition derby??? Oh wait, I do that every time I ride offroad!
Old 11-01-2006, 09:28 PM   #56
Rip
Incognito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip
How about a motorcycle demolition derby??? Oh wait, I do that every time I ride offroad!
God damn idiots!!!!

I was in an accident on Monday.

And one of my best friends was in a REALLY bad one last night. We were on the scene in seconds. Might lose his left leg, it's bad, REALLY bad. AND his right ankle is broken as well, among other various injuries.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH THE CAGERS THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!!

After 30 years of riding, then back-to-back incedents, one of very serious magnitude, I was seriously thinking about selling my bike. But ya know, like my old grandma used to say..."Fuck 'em." I'm keeping the bike and mounting rocket launchers on that bastard.

If you don't mind, pass some good wishes along to Ivan. He damn sure needs them.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:34 AM   #57
nod
As good as a wink

Oddometer: 421
Open house at Capitol BMW this Saturday:

http://www.capitolbmw.com/ for details and directions.

I'm not one to stump for the vendors much but they do offer test rides of a collection of bikes - show up early to sign up as slots are limited.

I am not responsible if you get hooked and have to buy one.

-nod
nod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:57 PM   #58
eyedragaknee
McGuyver

Oddometer: 2,317
Riders in Raleigh

There are 4-5 of us with DS that ride together. Range from DRZ400 to 1200GS Adventure Hummers. All with no skills whatsoever.
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 02:02 PM   #59
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyedragaknee
There are 4-5 of us with DS that ride together. Range from DRZ400 to 1200GS Adventure Hummers. All with no skills whatsoever.
Sounds like I'd fit right in!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:37 PM   #60
Ulyssessix
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Hey Rubberdown - How's the HP2 doing? Glad to see other C3'ers on this Board. I need to pay more attention to this thread. If they followed the posted map, they rode right by the house last month.

06 Buell Ulysses
99 Buell M2 Cyclone
99 Honda Z50R (Hot Rod)
Ulyssessix is offline   Reply With Quote